ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I disliked the first DLC, but I'm a few hours into this and it's so much better that it's not even funny. The world design is much better, there's more to thr adventure, etc. I hope this kind of map design is what we can look forward to in Gen 9, but on a full game scale.
I will say that sadly one of my biggest complaints from the last one was not addressed, the lack of trainer battles, pretty much the biggest thing going against this DLC.

WPS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad the map and cave design is way less linear than previous, but I'm beginning to suspect I could do with a compass...

Oct 29, 2017
RE: Shiny hunting Legendaries. If we get to the final battle, win and just elect not to catch the Legendary, can we attempt it again or is it best to just reset?

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Can anyone help me out with the shield exclusive pokemon in the crown tundra expansion?

I can get you a Bagon(dont have an omanyte yet) for a Kabuto and or a Gible

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I've been a big negative nancy on every thing Sw/Sh, but Crown Tundra really is superb. The world design is fantastic and it's letting me just adventure, it feels like the older games, just what I've been wanting. If they take this whole approach, apply it to the Gen IX games/Gen IV remakes then we'll be in for something special.

Marvellous.

PhoenixDawn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
RE: Shiny hunting Legendaries. If we get to the final battle, win and just elect not to catch the Legendary, can we attempt it again or is it best to just reset?
I haven't gotten any shinies myself, but my approach has been to go through the whole thing, beat it, catch it and then check if it's shiny in the 'pokemon selection screen'. If it isn't, I choose one of the other 3 pokemon I caught on the adventure and then make sure to 'save' the mission with the scientist. I think you can save 3 legendary missions at a time. Then I have just been repeating the saved ones hoping for a legendary (haven't gotten one yet). Hopefully that's the right strategy or boy have I wasted a lot of time.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I WAS enjoying it very much until it quickly turned into repeatedly throw ultra balls for an hour and hope for the best but while doing so check on Twitter to read about that guy who 'caught Registeel first time, actually'.

I'm not just disappointed, I'm mad.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I WAS enjoying it very much until it quickly turned into repeatedly throw ultra balls for an hour and hope for the best but while doing so check on Twitter to read about that guy who 'caught Registeel first time, actually'.

I think the catching mechanic should be improved to make it more active imho. Otherwise yeah, after your weakened the Pokemon enough it becomes solely about RNG and doing the same thing over and over.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

That's always been Pokemon's bread and butter mechanic. Why are you mad at that?

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017

So I am not the only one who had to use so many Ultra Balls to catch Registeel. And the same was for Regirock. Their catch rate must be incredibly low.

Yukiko

Feb 21, 2019
Spain
I catched the regis relatively fast with dusk ball + applying status condition (paralysis) to them, besides getting them down to red HP, although the birds were way harder

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have a complete list of Pokémon that can be sent to the game but that do NOT appear in any of the three Dexes?
if I remember the only Pokémon that don't show up in any of the dexs are mostly just legendries and the Hoenn and Alola starters

like besides the Kanto Birds, Hoenn Regis and the Swords of justice the rest of them don't show up in the dex

"It's always been like that, why should we change it?"
they have, then people make a big deal on how easy it is to catch legendries and want to go back to the way it was

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Day 2 of looking for shiny Regis let's get it

Haven't progressed passed the area directly below freezington yet...

Gulduur

Oct 28, 2017
So when could we expect pokemon news to know if there'll be any more dlc? I know it's extremely unlikely but I'd still like to know

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
If they make them easy to catch, other people will complain too. It's always like that
I'd take easier catches in exchange for harder battles, actually. Trying to get that sweet red spot without using false swipe is always tense, but when the struggle turns into "I threw 30 balls and now I need to start using the bad ones, knowing well that they're going to fail" it's just not fun.
Specially in recent games where there's dozens of legendaries already that you probably won't be using anyways.

I bet they could make it some sort of minigame where you need to press in the opposite direction to make it easier to catch, like reeling a fish. There would still be RNG and the legendaries could be crazy hard with the minigame, but it'd be less RNG-dependant.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I'm fine with all the hard catch rate legends. Now if all the legendaries in those raids had difficult catch rate that'd be a different story. I'm fine with the integrated legendaries (meaning the ones not dumped in raids or ultra wormholes) having hard catch rates

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I wish I'd known about the shiny stuff and only one catch per legendary before actually doing any of it. Already caught Zygarde, who would have been a top target for grinding a shiny :'(

Include some of this very vital information in your game, Game Freak ffs

EDIT: Oh, misread a post on the previous page and thought the legendary shiny rate was 1/25 which would be juuuuuust low enough to trudge through the Max Lair for one, maybe two shiny legendaries. 1/100 though, not for me fam.

Last edited:

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Great to see that the AI in raid battles is still terrible lol.
Gee thanks Blaziken keep using coaching every turn to increase everyone's attack and defense even though there is not a single physical attack on the team (except for yours, which you are refusing to use) and the pokemon we are fighting doesn't use any either.

And then of course the legendary just wiped away all the stat changes so it just started buffing again. Eurghhh
I actually quit my first raid because of how awful it was. I would argue getting a legendary from these raids with AI is nearing impossible.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the whole Calyrex quest and this is easily the best Pokémon content I've played in a long time. And I enjoyed base Sword/Shield.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Finished the Calyrex quest. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I kept feeling like there would be a twist that they were secretly evil and would betray you once they reconquered their mount, but I'm not mad it didn't happen. I also do wish there was a little more resolution for the whole "Everyone forget them" plot, but other than that I absolutely loved it.

Now onto the birds and the Regis!

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So when could we expect pokemon news to know if there'll be any more dlc? I know it's extremely unlikely but I'd still like to know
They're selling a complete edition with the DLC included next month- I'd say that it's a certainty that there won't be any more coming.

I'd expect the next Pokémon RPG news at the end of February, to coincide with the 25th anniversary.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Also, the complete form of Calyrex is my favorite Legendary Pokemon (or maybe just Pokemon in general) in a LONG time.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
"It's always been like that, why should we change it?"
Catch rate calculations have been updated as recently as Gen 6 and Pokeball multipliers as recently as this Gen. They're constantly changing it. It'd only be a few Gens ago where if you KO'd a Legendary that you'd be out of luck.

Also why are using an Ultra Ball to catch a Regi? They all live in caves, use a Dusk Ball.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm loving the complexity of the map in this. I haven't gotten lost in a Pokémon game since...I want to say Ruby & Sapphire? Spent ages trying to find the right path to the peak.

WPS

Oct 25, 2017
I kept feeling like there would be a twist that they were secretly evil and would betray you once they reconquered their mount, but I'm not mad it didn't happen.

Not gonna lie, I almost expected the opposite. I thought it would get to full power and then you'd just start throwing pokéballs without explanation.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
So how do you even catch Articuno? Once it creates illusions of itself it always runs away from me. Am I not supposed to follow it and flank it instead?

WPS

Oct 25, 2017
So how do you even catch Articuno? Once it creates illusions of itself it always runs away from me. Am I not supposed to follow it and flank it instead?

The illusion that does a little chuckle before they spin around is real. Touch the real Articuno and it attacks instead of fleeing.

I'd let it run until you're somewhere where it isn't hailing, though.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I haven't gotten any shinies myself, but my approach has been to go through the whole thing, beat it, catch it and then check if it's shiny in the 'pokemon selection screen'. If it isn't, I choose one of the other 3 pokemon I caught on the adventure and then make sure to 'save' the mission with the scientist. I think you can save 3 legendary missions at a time. Then I have just been repeating the saved ones hoping for a legendary (haven't gotten one yet). Hopefully that's the right strategy or boy have I wasted a lot of time.

I'm not sure if it's the most efficent method, but I can at least report back that it works. Got a shiny this way on my second re-run (not the legendary).

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Where can I buy duskballs? Terrakion won't stay in the ball and wipes my team. Also the weather really fucks you up when your chasing a roaming legend. All of a sudden thick mist/dog shows up and can't see it anymore. Also caught Zapdos with the first ball.