• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

8BitAwesome

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't get why people keep asking for Pokémon to be a game it isn't

I am not honestly expecting a breath of the wild style game like many others, but frankly Pokemon hasn't evolved dramatically enough since its original Game Boy days. More fluid character animations (where characters don't turn 90 degrees like robots) and maybe re-imagining the linear nature of the games, by allowing more choice in how we tackle Gyms would really make it feel more like an adventure and less like a 40-hour tutorial for a post-game that never has much content. The stories for the most part are convoluted anyway — if we had less narrative but more focus on gameplay freedom, I would be very happy. It would be relatively simple to implement, just have the number of badges that you currently possess affect the level and number of pokemon that the next gym leader possesses. As for wild pokemon, you could implement a "built-in" repel/lure system into your pokedex that only attracts pokemon that are around the average level of your team. Trainer battles would be the only difficulty, but you could keep them isolated to trainer battle arenas in towns, that also scale based on the number of badges you have earned.

Last edited:

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
I've played each generation at launch, and then their subsequent third version (sans X/Y for obvious reasons). Last year I played the original Red, original Silver, and Ultra Sun. I have to say, the originals hold up well even with plenty of QoL features missing. I kept trucking along because exploration felt natural and rewarding, the game didn't hold my hand, there were some difficulty spikes in there, and there was a sense of lore and wonder in the world that is subtle and meaningful. Ultra Sun felt like a disaster to me, I had to put it down multiple times because it was grating to play. The only thing that kept me going is the Team Rocket easter egg fight at the end.

If Gen8 is more of Sun/Moon, I'm going to hate it.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I am not honestly expecting a breath of the wild style game like many others, but frankly Pokemon hasn't evolved dramatically enough since its original Game Boy days. More fluid character animations (where characters don't turn 90 degrees like robots) and maybe re-imagining the linear nature of the games, by allowing more choice in how we tackle Gyms would really make it feel more like an adventure and less like a 40-hour tutorial for a post-game that never has much content. The stories for the most part are convoluted anyway — if we had less narrative but more focus on gameplay freedom, I would be very happy. It would be relatively simple to implement, just have the number of badges that you currently possess affect the level and number of pokemon that the next gym leader possesses. As for wild pokemon, you could implement a "built-in" repel/lure system into your pokedex that only attracts pokemon that are around the average level of your team. Trainer battles would be the only difficulty, but you could keep them isolated to trainer battle arenas in towns, that also scale based on the number of badges you have earned.
That already isn't the case in Sun and Moon. Let's Go isn't indicative of where the series progressed to

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
No, this happens even in Sun and Moon. The animation is obviously dramatically better than Let's Go, but see the link below, Lilly turns 90 degrees with no other animation. This happens constantly throughout the game.

https://youtu.be/BqrYAEn7k-I?t=1423
Hmmm yeah I guess they still need to improve upon it, but it's not so noticeable especially since they dropped the grid and don't have to turn in straight angles to walk in other directions

Crazy_KiD_169

Jun 21, 2018
That's not what I'm asking for, I just want the game to have more adventure/exploration, and less story and characters constantly trying to talk to you. I want the basic battle formula to still be there, but physical attacks should have better animations with Pokémon actually directly making contact with each other and reacting. That way it would make it feel more like anime battles.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm yeah I guess they still need to improve upon it, but it's not so noticeable especially since they dropped the grid and don't have to turn in straight angles to walk in other directions

id say its even more noticeable because they dropped the grid. When the movement is any angle but npcs still move like robots its a bit of a contrast.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Nah someone posted examples from Let's Go in this thread (or another thread, I can't keep up) and it was way more jarring and obvious

the old style of games was more consistently geometric with its gameplay. What im saying is I notice it more in S/M because they updated one aspect but not the other.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
the aether foundation portion is legit one of the best moments in the series
And then like some of the other excellent, great executed areas they drop the ball with some seriously small areas. The only places that are comparable to previous Pokemon games in terms of length are Poni Canyon and Po Town, otherwise the games are severely stinted. Aether Foundation needed to be a proper HQ dungeon for the villains, like Silph Co, Aqua/Magma Hideout, Galactic Headquaters, and shit even the Team Flare base in Geosenge Town had more depth. Gen 5 Technically had the same amount of areas in N's castle, however there were 2 climatic encounters for Team Plasma, in the Dragonspiral Tower and Relic Castle, and B2W2 even had the Plasma Frigate. Again, amazing execution and concepts, terrible maps and length compared to the rest of the series. The next games need to be entirely made of Po Towns and Poni Canyons, not Diglett Tunnels, Brooklet Hills, and Aether Foundations.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
I think one thing to keep in mind is that while we're all waiting for a pokemon direct to announce the games, we could get news in terms of a new pokemon, new form, something "new" sooner than that. IIRC feb has been a good month for movie reveals relating to the next games (zorua, magearna, sylveon, ) regardless of whether the games have been formally unveiled or not.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
By no means do I expect Game Freak to give us Xenoblade-sized areas, but man they really do need to give us something bigger than the 3DS games.

But you know, Nintendo did get Monolith to help the Zelda team with the world building aspects of BotW, so they should really just get them to do the same for Pokemon.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
do people want a 60+ hour single player though? a large part of the playerbase is multiplayer focused. also, pokemon has never had a good enough story for a 60 hour game.

Oct 26, 2017

So you don't think series should evolve and transform from what we've gotten in 7 generations? At a certain point, it becomes absurd to stick with the same gameplay (keep in mind I am NOT saying it shouldn't be turn-based, I'm focusing more so on exploration) and exploration elements that we've gotten and largely left undisturbed from the GB era. If Pokemon has access to better technology, then I think the extra power should be put towards building a more believable world (in terms of scale and size), as well as better fleshing out the Pokemon world. This is why comparisons like BotW and Xenoblade, at least from an exploration and world-building standpoint, isn't absurd.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm expecting, hoping for something similar to Dragon Quest XI for Pokemon. It'd be such a great game to follow. Beautiful graphics while keeping the classic battle system and an okay story.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
that is my point, I dont think any pokemon game has had a story worth 60 hours, and I dont think game freak is capable of making one.

well, we have to pray to papa Gamefreak because this next one is the most story driven of their games and its gonna be rough if its a joke in that regard. My guess is the trailer will do the standard showing of cutscenes and most people get hyped while people more level headed will just be wondering "yea but how often is this stuff going to be unskippable and frequent"

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
yeah I think the next game will just be another typical generational leap, which is perfectly fine. It'll just have really good presentation and look nicer.

I really wish they'd adjust poses for the pokemon models though. Too many pokemon just look lame in 3D (Arcanine, Typhlosion, I'm looking at you guys)

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
I'm expecting, hoping for something similar to Dragon Quest XI for Pokemon. It'd be such a great game to follow. Beautiful graphics while keeping the classic battle system and an okay story.

Man, a pokemon game using DQ XI as a base would be amazing. Explorable, pretty looking and yet impossible to get lost thanks to the map and hint points.

But I guess even thinking about that would be expecting too much from GF. Its wrong to expect evolution from them lmao

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018

And then like some of the other excellent, great executed areas they drop the ball with some seriously small areas. The only places that are comparable to previous Pokemon games in terms of length are Poni Canyon and Po Town, otherwise the games are severely stinted. Aether Foundation needed to be a proper HQ dungeon for the villains, like Silph Co, Aqua/Magma Hideout, Galactic Headquaters, and shit even the Team Flare base in Geosenge Town had more depth. Gen 5 Technically had the same amount of areas in N's castle, however there were 2 climatic encounters for Team Plasma, in the Dragonspiral Tower and Relic Castle, and B2W2 even had the Plasma Frigate. Again, amazing execution and concepts, terrible maps and length compared to the rest of the series. The next games need to be entirely made of Po Towns and Poni Canyons, not Diglett Tunnels, Brooklet Hills, and Aether Foundations.
Honestly I felt the areas were much better, especially the cities, which feel very different from each other (A fishing village, a Mediterranean style town overrun by bandits, chinese market, typical american city, etc), with Heahea being the exception. Also places like the hollowed out mountain and desert were pretty cool too. The map was more dense, with a lesser "in between" area that you cant explore, than the previous games.

Agree, the games should bring back dungeon type enemy bases and victory roads. That was something I missed from previous games. Even though it probably wont be the case today, I remember getting lost in Veilstone HQ as a kid, something like that is missing.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though it probably wont be the case today, I remember getting lost in Veilstone HQ as a kid, something like that is missing.
blame japan for that, according to Masuda, anyway.

if we're going for more unrealistic hopes and dreams, I'd like for them to move away from the contemporary world design. 20 years of "real world" architecture, and it's kinda getting old, even if they have yet to properly do one up in full explorable 3D.

more fantastical or futuristic flair would be nice

Agate_Village.png

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
do people want a 60+ hour single player though? a large part of the playerbase is multiplayer focused. also, pokemon has never had a good enough story for a 60 hour game.
And if multiplayer post-game is all that's important to those people, they could still probably get done in 20 hours or less by rushing through with their overleveled starter, mashing A/skipping through text, and ignoring any optional exploration.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'd just like to point out that the number of people sticking around to take the multiplayer seriously after the credits roll is a fraction of a fraction of the larger group of people who buy Pokemon games. The past couple of years in gaming have pretty handily proven that a pretty big market still exists for games with substantial single player content, and those people are absolutely not being serviced by the design decisions made for the Pokemon series as of the past couple of generations.

But yeah I'd like to get more than ~20 hours out of a Pokemon game's main campaign in this day and age. It'd be nice if there were some breadth of content for people like me who want to really get immersed in a meatier experience but don't care about taking the multiplayer element that seriously whatsoever.

Things like the size and scope of the game world/map go a long way for this; it's not just about the main narrative. Also side-quests and general world-building.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So you don't think series should evolve and transform from what we've gotten in 7 generations? At a certain point, it becomes absurd to stick with the same gameplay (keep in mind I am NOT saying it shouldn't be turn-based, I'm focusing more so on exploration) and exploration elements that we've gotten and largely left undisturbed from the GB era. If Pokemon has access to better technology, then I think the extra power should be put towards building a more believable world (in terms of scale and size), as well as better fleshing out the Pokemon world. This is why comparisons like BotW and Xenoblade, at least from an exploration and world-building standpoint, isn't absurd.
There's a different between evolution, which it does, and pointless overhaul. Making statements like "world building" is a bit ridiculous as that can be, and has been, done without it being big open world

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a different between evolution, which it does, and pointless overhaul. Making statements like "world building" is a bit ridiculous as that can be, and has been, done without it being big open world
so what do you want out of it? seems like the people here want a dq`11 style, but I dont think game freak has the writing chops for that.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you cant even save the frozen pokemon, even in post game made me feel a bit sick. Like they made that part specifically to appeal to people who enjoy that kind of thing.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017

The vast majority of players do not care about battling other players, they care about going on an adventure with their Pokemon.

What I want from the next game is something that feels like a modern Pokemon game and not a game with 3D graphics made from a Game Boy era design document. I'm tired of having to stick to narrow little paths with an unmovable camera, not being able to explore the world, only this time with bland cutscenes every 10 minutes.

I'm not asking for Breath of the Wild but stop putting so many damn fences everywhere and let me actually move around. They need to change their design concept from tiny little routes with a single path forward to an actual Pokemon world that can be explored.

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017

I've been seeing this since 2017 on this form and I feel like I really need to say that whether you intend it or not this is on some "No True Scotsman" level of trying to shut down dissenting opinions and critiques towards the games.

Pokemon "is" so many different things to different people, from shiny hunters, to competitive battlers, to people filling out the pokedex, those who take play here and there with their friends,those who look for lore, or speedrun, and of course those who just play through the main campaign and then may not pick up the series again to the next one.

Personally the simplest form of pokemon to me is: a turn based rpg, where you collect your party members through exploring a world as you battle various trainers who have different agendas.

I don't want to put words in other people's mouths as to what Pokemon is to them but I'd imagine lots of other people would view Pokemon in a similar way.
So to dismiss things perfectly reasonable like:

Which I personally believe don't upset any of the core tenants (explore, capture, battle) of Pkmn as he is basically is just asking for a better fleshed out and more explore able world. It makes commenting in threads like these exhausting sometimes when you have a thread about hopes and dreams and then have someone just refuting your opinion on where the series should go because it "just isn't pokemon" in your eyes. It's fine if you disagree link them to comments of your opinions if you've made them in the past or please just take a few more seconds to write out why you may disagree with them, but having nebulous dismissal of people's is extremely unpleasant.

wrote more than I meant so I guess tldr:
pkmn means so many different things to different people that just saying "people want pokemon to be something its not" or "sounds like you don't want a pokemon game" to dismiss their hopes for the series is pretty off putting.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I've been seeing this since 2017 on this form and I feel like I really need to say that whether you intend it or not this is on some "No True Scotsman" level of trying to shut down dissenting opinions and critiques towards the games.
No, I only use it when people suggest genre shifts or shits that wouldn't fit Pokémon

Woylie

May 9, 2018
While I don't believe we'll see a mainline Pokemon game switch it up from the turn based traditional format and relative linearity any time soon, I would love it if a spinoff like a new Pokemon Ranger game explored some of the open world "Pokemon BOTW" stuff that people have been asking for. Maybe that's asking too much for a spinoff though, as far as budget and development resources.

not necessarily saying pokemon ranger since that has an established gameplay style, but maybe a new spinoff like that.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
blame japan for that, according to Masuda, anyway.

if we're going for more unrealistic hopes and dreams, I'd like for them to move away from the contemporary world design. 20 years of "real world" architecture, and it's kinda getting old, even if they have yet to properly do one up in full explorable 3D.

more fantastical or futuristic flair would be nice

Agate_Village.png

My first thought when seeing that Pokemon Center was The Under from Colosseum, then I scrolled and see you followed it up with Agate Village. Colosseum had great setting + locations, it's a shame that we (probably) won't get to revisit it again.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's a stretch at all for a Pokémon game to incorporate elements similar to Dragon Quest XI's world design + battle transitions and Xenoblade 2's field skills.

Dragon-Quest-XI-PS4-Shot-04.jpg

2018010712592000-659B13F48903294AE2B3FA4F12DA9898.jpg

It'd basically be functionally linear with optional side routes unlocked through your Pokémon's abilities... Just like it is now. It'd just look more impressive and modern; I don't see why that's unattainable, unreasonable, or farfetched.

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
Ok

Metroid should be a Kart Racer

:)
And it'd be fine for someone to think that in a thread about hopes and theories on where they want a franchise to go.
And 2 other things before I go to bed

1. There was outrage when Metroid was turned into an fps using similar arguements and most would agree those games turned out good to amazing. I personally preferred the 2d ones (though I need to revisit the prime games as it's been a long time) but I could at least appreciate that while the prime games may not have been for me, the changes they implemented resonated with a lot of people.

2. Other posters asking for a world structure similar to DQ10 or Xenoblade is not such ridiculous ask that it should be met with hostility or questioning of their devotion to the series. As I said in the previous post personally pkmn to me in its simplest form is about exploration,capturing, and battling. Of those 3 things I think myself and many other users on this board would say that exploration/world immersion would be the thing we hope for the most from a Pkmn game on more powerful hardware and in a thread about hope's for the future game I don't think it's right to dismiss users just for wanting that.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Yes? Pokemon has been a sid single player experience since day one, and has been slowly deteriorating since gen 6. I have 100+ hours in my copy of platinum because of exploration, the Pokemon contests and Battle Frontier. I have the same time in HGSS because it has 2 regions and the Pokeathlon. I have 60+ hours in BW because of the post game areas and various side quests. I have 200+ hours in B2W2 because of medals, Join Avenue, Pokestar Studios, and the Habitat Dex. Can't claim the same for XY, SM or USUM at all, and its disheartening. I want to be able to sink my teeth in and just enjoy the world they created, not play a rushed, curated game because the multiplayer battle simulator portions have more importance over the single player story.

ChaosSaga

Oct 25, 2017
Around Hyrule
A similar world design as Xenoblade would be awesome. Each pokemon heaving some HM like hability to traverse the optional content to expand tge exploration, with the pokebox in the bag it would no problem.

I would Like Gym battles to have field effects to help the gym leader, like 50% damage reduction from super effect against X type, damages by turn or buffs by turn.

Legendary battles should be like Lets go + USUM

You have to defeat the pokemon to catch, and the Legendary can have the call minions and toten aura.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
I get where joe is coming from. My favorite franchise has gone downhill since they decided to copy other franchises instead of being unique. It tried to be something its not and it suffered.

Status
Not open for further replies.