• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Na, I am serious. I mean I really liked Gears 4 and I will give 5 a try anyway. But I am really not liking what they showed so far. Feels more like Tomb Raider than Gears of War.
My fear is they make it too action-adventurey. New enemies look dope tho, and Gears campaigns have always had their fair share of cutscene drama. I have faith in Rod and co that they know Gears is a shooter first kind of franchise.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What? They are 100% the same design philosophy. Just wait for the real render and not some potato leaks, if you don't like the quality.
The image quality isn't the problem, the art quality is the problem. Those Disney posters are well drawn and well crafted, the Gears cover looks like a 3D render from 15 years ago (not to mention the Gears composition is essentionally a blob as opposed to the much more complex composition of the Disney poster - neither one necesarrily a virtue on their own, but the Disney ones are executed with much more expertise and ambition).

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Control in August and Gears in September?!? Yes please, sign me the fuck up. I LOVED Gears 4. Not sure about that cover though. Putting Myrrah on it is a huge ass spoiler. Could definitely be fake.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's a skin you unlock in Gears 5 if you finish Gears 4 co-op in hardest difficulty. Is that possible with strangers online, or should I not bother?

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That cover is so bad it has to be real. Fans wouldn't bother to make something that generic.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
same week as borderlands doesnt strike me as a great decision. way different core audience I know but atleast it is before BL3 comes out. cover art is whatever

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you people crack me up with the freak out over some stupid box art that may or may not even be real. If the game ends up as sick as it seemed it could be last E3 and after we get a further look at this E3 then honestly I could care less about something stupid like that.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you people crack me up with the freak out over some stupid box art that may or may not even be real. If the game ends up as sick as it seemed it could be last E3 and after we get a further look at this E3 then honestly I could care less about something stupid like that.
Not sure why you are worked up over people just offering their opinions on the box art. Obviously it is not a big deal and the quality of the game is what matters most.

Anyways looks like a take on the avengers iw/eg boxarts. I guess those are popular ;)

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right between MH World: Iceborne and Borderlands 3. Not exactly the same audience but September is going to be stacked.

Feb 10, 2018
My fear is they make it too action-adventurey. New enemies look dope tho, and Gears campaigns have always had their fair share of cutscene drama. I have faith in Rod and co that they know Gears is a shooter first kind of franchise.

The main criticism ppl had with gears 4 was that it was just more of the same.

I think ppl will give gears shit, no matter what they do.

But I think after 5 games, more is needed in gameplay variety for the series to advance.
Kind of like how the uncharted series has advanced its gameplay.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
It's a little basic, but I can totally see that being the main cover.

To make it stand out, I can see that being either a clear slip-cover on a steelbook, or have the background be a metallic sheen. That would make it really pop.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
That cover looks atrocious.

The Crimson Omen on my left arm says I'll have this pre-loaded for release day when the time comes though so thankfully cover doesn't matter to much to me cause I'll be going digital. Even then this will likely be the icon and ewww

Last edited:

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope gears 5 is good, overall I am pretty dissapointed with how gears 4 was and how they handled the maps in that game. I hope with 5 they step it up and bring it back to the highs of 3.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Oh well, the cover won't bother me too much. Haven't bought a physical copy of a game since 2013. The Gears 4 PC icon was really ugly, so I hope 5's better in that regard.
And please don't be 130GB. I'll need a new SSD..

My GamePass is ready for september.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Cover is fake people, know why?
Well, remember Marcus from the E3 trailer, he has no beard, now look the cover, he has the beard from Gears 4, so... Fake.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Looks ugly. Gears 5 sounds dumb. Game looks boring anyway. Bring back the old crew. Cranky old men shooting shit and talking trash.

God knows why they try to implement new "characters" and "story" in a series that was all about shooting, violence and dumb talk. Nowadays everything has to be "cinematic with emotions" I guess ...

Its like you havent played any Gears game. New and old.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How can people make this assumption?
We have seen nothing about the history.

From that scene at last E3 it just comes off as wanting to suddenly be mature and less hokey but not really understanding how to create drama.

It really feels like they should've started this new saga with Kait as the main character but it feels like they're switching up their vision on the fly to try and take a new direction because the previous one left players cold.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
From that scene at last E3 it just comes off as wanting to suddenly be mature and less hokey but not really understanding how to create drama.

It really feels like they should've started this new saga with Kait as the main character but it feels like they're switching up their vision on the fly to try and take a new direction because the previous one left players cold.
Kait was already the main character in Gears 4 only we didnt knew it yet.