Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
1Elorw9.jpg

my humble set up. Just starting to work on the retro area.

I love this room. So cozy and creepy. Gettin pre-virus RE7 vibes.

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
I've only upgraded my furniture since the old forum, a 4K TV is still on the shopping list though probably that'll have to wait until next year with the new HDMI standard.

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

Got rid of the coffee table which was taking up an enormous amount of space in favor for something smaller (side table, not really all that visible here, but it's there), swapped the cowhide for a proper rug and upgraded to a chair that will hopefully last a lifetime + took down a print from the wall in favor of hanging something more dear there.

Last edited:

CursedOctopus

Oct 27, 2017
I've only upgraded my furniture since the old forum, a 4K TV is still on the shopping list though probably that'll have to wait until next year with the new HDMI standard.

k1.jpg

Got rid of the coffee table which was taking up an enormous amount of space in favor for something smaller (side table, not really all that visible here, but it's there), swapped the cowhide for a proper rug and upgraded to a chair that will hopefully last a lifetime + took down a print from the wall in favor of hanging something more dear there.
Where did you get your tv stand?

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

These images arent showing on my phone. Is there a setting i need to change or something?

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

This looks great! Where did you get the Eames chair from? (Also do you just move it out of the way when you want to sit on the couch?)

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
These images arent showing on my phone. Is there a setting i need to change or something?
Could be a case of the browser seeing the host domain as malicious. I know some antivirus sees cubeupload as a bad site for whatever reason.

This looks great! Where did you get the Eames chair from? (Also do you just move it out of the way when you want to sit on the couch?)
Thanks. I got the chair from a Vitra dealer located in Estonia. As for sitting on the couch; I do tend to spin the chair sideways, even though it really doesn't obstruct viewing the telly, even if it does look like it in the pictures

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
CSO5abd.jpg

My fantastic rebuilt 90's stereo bench. Rebuilt the upper shelf so it can fit a TV. Need to put it higher with some books though.
Also - made airvent holes on the sides for the PS4 Pro!!

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly updated setups!

PC:
40249309804_dbf815d811_h.jpg

40064976265_51d452b121_h.jpg

39062041570_53f8252cfd_h.jpg

Console:
40249309874_e9cdf9a9fa_h.jpg

Those fightstick boxes as speaker stands... anyone know good speaker stands that won't devastate the bank?

Modu5

Nov 15, 2017
Anyone own a Ikea Bekant desk? is it safe to use a vertical dual monitor mount on it?

Dec 22, 2017
Moved into a new house last October with a daylight basement so I finally have the space for the family/game/media room I have always dreamed of. TV is an LG OLED, and it lives up to all the hype. Game systems are PS4, PS3, Wii U, Switch, and a pc box for MAME. For home theater I have a 4K HDR blu ray player and a Denon amp. Also have a CD player hooked up because I am old.

GbC1TSC.jpg

My grandmother was a librarian and I inherited her urge to catalog and organize everything. On top of video games, I also have a ton of Disney and classic animation/comic strip junk. There are three more bookcases perpendicular to this filled with books, and kid toys on the lower shelves. And this doesn't include the NES and master system stuff that is still boxed up in the garage.

This poster I picked up at Emerald City comic con and it is one of my favorite possessions.
wOdMwNB.jpg

No Disney collection is complete without John Carter on blu ray lol.

NoRKgaK.jpg

I have a ton of controllers and adapters, so I love that I can hide it all away in these drawers.
JHiq7rG.jpg

Its a nice little set up for playing legos, watching animation or playing games.
eELZ3pK.jpg

Dec 22, 2017
Where are the shelves and tv stand from? In the midst of making a more official gameing space for myself in the basement but I'm lost trying to sort out all the storage options.

All the shelving and the tv stand are from the Hemnes line at Ikea. Even using their end table as the home theater rack.

It's pretty well made and not too expensive. It's all real wood too, with grain and all.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
I'm finally happy with my setup so here goes.

31e91253-2084-4c20-bilscz.jpeg

58e84c84-adf3-45f6-8acsx2.jpeg

Sony 65" XE90
PS4 Pro
Xbox One
SNES Mini Classic
Apple TV 4K
Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
2x JBL LSR 305
JBL subwoofer (old and banged up, but works like a charm)
2x Optical switches
Astro Mixamp Pro
Sennheiser HD598 with an Antlion ModMic

Nothing too fancy, simple to use (even for my gf) and practical for every occasion. And yes, my cable management sucks.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel so dumb. I spend $60 on powered HDMI splitters, 2-1 unpowered switchers, optical audio extractors, and an optical audio hub to connect both of my PS4s to my TV and monitor when I could've just spent $80 on a matrix box. No idea they existed.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
These are probably the greatest bargain in audio at the moment. How are you finding them?

I've talked about upgrading my shitty 5.1 audio setup for a decent 2.1 one for a while now and my budget has been max. 600€ (for two speakers and an amp/AVR/DAC). One my friends who is in to this music stuff has been raving about these JBL 305s the whole time so I let him to figure out the rest of the setup for me. He found me the DAC for 300€ and two of these speakers for 110€ a piece, but of course they were out of stock everywhere with sorries from JBL that the demand has wildly exceeded the supply. Luckily my cousin owns a local music store so I gave him a call and turns out he had a couple of these bad boys in the storage for "special occasions". Paid 230€ for the both of them and got XLR cables for free!

So for a 530€ setup the sound quality is bonkers...you can't even get a decent AVR for that price around here. They are perfect as is for playing games and watching TV, but you should get a subwoofer for movies to get that extra oomph. Listening to music is also a bliss (obviously, because that's what they're made for), but you need to stay in the "zone" to feel the bass. So again, you need a sub if you're not stationary while listening.

I'd say they are the perfect speakers for a PC gamer in small mancave, but also superb for a medium sized home theater (sitting max. 3 meters away from them). This is hands down the best investment I have made in consumer electronics and can't seriously find a reason to upgrade in the foreseeable future.

moonbeam

Nov 11, 2017
I've talked about upgrading my shitty 5.1 audio setup for a decent 2.1 one for a while now and my budget has been max. 600€ (for two speakers and an amp/AVR/DAC). One my friends who is in to this music stuff has been raving about these JBL 305s the whole time so I let him to figure out the rest of the setup for me. He found me the DAC for 300€ and two of these speakers for 110€ a piece, but of course they were out of stock everywhere with sorries from JBL that the demand has wildly exceeded the supply. Luckily my cousin owns a local music store so I gave him a call and turns out he had a couple of these bad boys in the storage for "special occasions". Paid 230€ for the both of them and got XLR cables for free!

So for a 530€ setup the sound quality is bonkers...you can't even get a decent AVR for that price around here. They are perfect as is for playing games and watching TV, but you should get a subwoofer for movies to get that extra oomph. Listening to music is also a bliss (obviously, because that's what they're made for), but you need to stay in the "zone" to feel the bass. So again, you need a sub if you're not stationary while listening.

I'd say they are the perfect speakers for a PC gamer in small mancave, but also superb for a medium sized home theater (sitting max. 3 meters away from them). This is hands down the best investment I have made in consumer electronics and can't seriously find a reason to upgrade in the foreseeable future.
Fantastic that you're enjoying them. I'm sort of surprised they don't seem to be more popular here. Probably just a matter of time until they get better known. Regarding subs, if you can afford one, they are definitely a must have, pretty much regardless of what speakers you have. And not just for movies and music. Some games have ridiculously great low bass. I haven't played it in a while but Resogun immediately comes to mind. Haha now I want to play that again :D

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
On the same topic, anyone else noticed Burnout Paradise Remastered has way overblown bass? The opening credits will shake my floor. It's too much. I've had to dial down all the in-game sound just to get it to a point where it isn't shaking my windows. It's not my settings; it literally doesn't happen with any other game or audio source.

Ramune

Feb 3, 2018
Put together this CRT cart setup I remember someone on the other forum showed off. Had the link on my phone for the longest and finally got around to getting it! I still have a spare Olympus monitor I might use for Tate purposes, but it's MUCH easier to get my retro game fix now! I'll have to look into getting a Toro box for Dreamcast and if there's any Component -> VGA adaptors so I can play Gamecube/Wii 480p content on the PC CRT!

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Re-posting from the old thread as nothing has changed.

gynIA2Y.jpg

ha4z8ri.jpg

s9f9uJF.jpg

CifyCKa.jpg

hT7DCs5.jpg

Regarding keeping a place clean and tidy: it's just a way of life I guess. Me and my wife clean the entire house every weekend and try to maintain it as tidy as possible throughout the year. Dusting is a relatively easy process thanks to swiffer. It's also a matter of where you live and with how many people you live. If I had kids, my place would not be even remotely as tidy as it is now.

Anyways, fantastic setups in this thread.

tabris: nice to see the history of your setups. Looking forward to your new thing!
leng jai: your setup never fails to amaze me. Very curious about your cable management.
valentine: geez that view, reminds me of my place in Greece.
Buttons: awesome, as always. It will be very hard for you to move out, lovely place. Happened to me with my last apartment, took me ages to get used to not living there.
potam: goddamn that's a great desk.

Love the rug and media bench! Link for either?

In the process of adding more decor but minimalism is the goal.

xbkeat.jpg

2n9kg3s.jpg

27zglmc.jpg

2ewmn3k.jpg

k47dxy.jpg

What chair is this?

At the moment it looks like this:

img_20170828_112252xbp6b.jpg

Not the best picture (room is a bit of a mess), but I'm in the middle of a redesign. Furniture isn't decided on yet, but when it's all said and done, the wiring is gonna be something like this:

wiring2zopz2.png

Really appreciate you posting your system diagram. Visio?

I'm finally happy with my setup so here goes.

31e91253-2084-4c20-bilscz.jpeg

58e84c84-adf3-45f6-8acsx2.jpeg

Sony 65" XE90
PS4 Pro
Xbox One
SNES Mini Classic
Apple TV 4K
Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
2x JBL LSR 305
JBL subwoofer (old and banged up, but works like a charm)
2x Optical switches
Astro Mixamp Pro
Sennheiser HD598 with an Antlion ModMic

Nothing too fancy, simple to use (even for my gf) and practical for every occasion. And yes, my cable management sucks.

Love the light fixture.

withani

Oct 31, 2017

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

Damn. Do you airbnb? Because I'd love to visit this setup.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
To use the TV apps, you have to use port 1 for ARC to get audio to the receiver. For 4K you have to use port 5. So I use both

123rl

Oct 28, 2017
Oh. That's weird, but it makes sense. I've never heard of having to do that but it makes sense if your tv forces you into using a specific input for 4k. Logic would say that would be the ARC input but I guess not.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Oh. That's weird, but it makes sense. I've never heard of having to do that but it makes sense if your tv forces you into using a specific input for 4k. Logic would say that would be the ARC input but I guess not.
Actually my tv has one of the 4k inputs being arc which fucks my system up as my sound bar doesn't pass through 4k HDR signals. Effectively giving me 1 4k slot

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
Damn. Do you airbnb? Because I'd love to visit this setup.
I've never really considered it (sleeping on the couch would be awkward and probably not something you could sell anyways), though I don't hate the idea of giving demos if arranged beforehand - I still haven't grown bored of popping in some of the movies in my library just to watch scenes that are 'demo material' myself.
Trouble is I live in the middle of nowhere as far as geography goes - eg. nowhere near the capital and certainly not in the States.

WizdogC

Oct 27, 2017
This continues to be one of my favourite threads and I am happy to contribute.

Last 6 months I've finally upgraded some furniture pieces and tech. I recently purchased 55" Sony A1E OLED which has been an absolute game changer along with Sony HTCT290 sound bar. With new TV I also recently upgraded to PS4 Pro.

9qH7g9U.jpg

oahvbQf.jpg

pIdlpo4.jpg

sIPcpDO.jpg

quo8QCA.jpg
Where is this? The view looks incredible. Especially with the snow capped mountains in the background.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Moved into a new house last October with a daylight basement so I finally have the space for the family/game/media room I have always dreamed of. TV is an LG OLED, and it lives up to all the hype. Game systems are PS4, PS3, Wii U, Switch, and a pc box for MAME. For home theater I have a 4K HDR blu ray player and a Denon amp. Also have a CD player hooked up because I am old.

My grandmother was a librarian and I inherited her urge to catalog and organize everything. On top of video games, I also have a ton of Disney and classic animation/comic strip junk. There are three more bookcases perpendicular to this filled with books, and kid toys on the lower shelves. And this doesn't include the NES and master system stuff that is still boxed up in the garage.

Its a nice little set up for playing legos, watching animation or playing games.
eELZ3pK.jpg

This looks amazing, loved it!! Congrats, man.

stray_moogle

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Love the rug and media bench! Link for either?
Media unit is from swoon, it was a limited edition but they have plenty of nice furniture.

The rug is handmade; my wife's grandmother made it decades ago so it's kind of one of its kind. You could probably find similar pieces in rural areas in Greece, especially in villages up in the mountains (although I guess that's not the easiest of tasks for most of the people :) ).