• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Sounds like it. The remastered/remake versions of PS2/PS3 games seems like fancy doublespeak of saying "The Last of Us: Remastered is a PS4 game but you're playing a downloadable PS3 game if you think about it!" Likewise for other stuff like FF X remaster and PS2?

Yeah Sony is treating PS4 remasters/remakes of PS2/3 titles as "Classics" as far as the offerings/tiers go.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like PC game streaming is still going to be based on a desktop client for windows only? Have they said anything about browser streaming like xCloud and Stadia do very effectively?

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Still no upgrade prices for existing Plus users... how is this possible??????
I think it just converts your current plan to the new one. Like, you have 30 days left with the current/essential tier, that can be converted to 14 days Premium tier.
There is a post on the subreddit showing the upgrade prices. They are basically charging you the difference in the annual rate converted to the length of your remaining subscription. That seems the most fair way to do it.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Very curious if that 7 day requirement will apply to the PS1 games I bought on PS3.

That would be a deal breaker to be honest.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda expensive in Canada for the Extra...I have Essential already and well Gamepass so not sure if I will dive in yet.

Prices for all 3 tiers are actually better then the US exchange rate.

$60, $100, $120us converts to $75, $130, $155 CAD approx

Very curious if that 7 day requirement will apply to the PS1 games I bought on PS3.

That would be a deal breaker to be honest.

Why would it. The sign in to PSN once a week is just to "prove you still have an active Plus sub". Proving you have an active plus sub is unnecessary for games you purchased individually.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
  • Original PlayStation, PSP, PS4 and PS5 games are available for download to play.
  • Remastered or remake versions of PS2 and PS3 games will also be downloadable for play on PS4 and PS5 consoles.

Yeah, I'm starting to think the PS2 games are just the games from the "PS2 on PS4' program. I would love to be proven wrong, though.

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure they just mean you'll be able to continue playing your PS3 PS+ games on your PS3 i.e. you won't lose anything with the launch of this service

At least that's how I read it

It's just saying that when you move up to a higher tier of PS+, you can still play your PS3/Vita Plus games on their respective systems as long as you stay on PS+, even though those two systems don't support PS+ Extra or Premium. Which I don't think anyone would have thought otherwise.
Was hoping it was something new, lol.

I have some PSN games that's stuck on PS3, that never made it to PSNow, AFAIK.

Oh well.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
No idea if they hold up, but Ratchet and Clank Size Matters and Daxter were my go-to games when I got the PSP. Even if they don't hold up, I'd love to play them again
Same here! I got em both before my family went on vacation one year and whenever I wasn't outside, I was glued to those games. Good times 😎

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
There is a post on the subreddit showing the upgrade prices. They are basically charging you the difference in the annual rate converted to the length of your remaining subscription. That seems the most fair way to do it.
Yeah, found it:

"The actual number is that you have to pay original price to upgrade.
For example, If you purchased 1 year plus for 25%off, which is $45.
To update to extra plan, you need to pay 100 - 45 = 55$, not 100-60=40$
A real example explained by the one who mentioned this:
1070 days left, 3593 NT$ needed to upgrade to extra plan.
He explained that he always purchase annually subscription for 761 NT$ (1188$ originally)
So that his 1070 days worth 1070/365days*761=2230NT$
An extra plan annually cost 1988 NT$.
1070 days for extra plan need 1070/365*1988=5827 NT$
5827(total price)-2230(he already paid)=3597NT$
Which is pretty close to the system tell (3593$)"

Didn't expect for them to ask the difference for a discount you had take advantage of when bought the Plus, that's freaking mental... it totally disrupt the concept of discount.
People bought the Plus since it was discounted but now they have to pay the difference for a past discount to make an upgrade?
JFC if Sony if going all in this gen...

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, found it:

"The actual number is that you have to pay original price to upgrade.
For example, If you purchased 1 year plus for 25%off, which is $45.
To update to extra plan, you need to pay 100 - 45 = 55$, not 100-60=40$
A real example explained by the one who mentioned this:
1070 days left, 3593 NT$ needed to upgrade to extra plan.
He explained that he always purchase annually subscription for 761 NT$ (1188$ originally)
So that his 1070 days worth 1070/365days*761=2230NT$
An extra plan annually cost 1988 NT$.
1070 days for extra plan need 1070/365*1988=5827 NT$
5827(total price)-2230(he already paid)=3597NT$
Which is pretty close to the system tell (3593$)"

Didn't expect for them to ask the difference for a discount you had take advantage of when bought the Plus, that's freaking mental... it totally disrupt the concept of discount.
People bought the Plus since it was discounted but now they have to pay the difference for a past discount to make an upgrade?

That part confuses me. If you bought a card or a code from a third party, how would PlayStation even know how much you paid? Even if you bought years of plus to stack when it was on sale on PSN, the extra work necessary to track that and include it in the conversion formula seems like it would be not worth it for the tiny amount of people it would catch.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
That part confuses me. IF you bought a card or a code from a third party, how would PlayStation even know how much you paid? Even if you bought years of plus to stack when it was on sale on PSN, I don't understand why the upgrade price calculator would do anything but convert time equally for everyone.
Of course they won't know, we are talking about the discount made by Sony on the PlayStation Store, asking back the money of the discount is pathetic.

krae_man

Oct 25, 2017
Of course they won't know, we are talking about the discount made by Sony on the PlayStation Store, asking back the money of the discount is pathetic.

We will need to see more examples indifferent regions before coming to a conclusion. I feel like there are other possibilities(like the users doing their math wrong, PlayStation doing it's math wrong, incorrect prices in specific instances eg lots of stacked time etc) that would be more likely to me then the explanation that makes PlayStation look the most evil and greedy.

Akuma-san メカ豪鬼

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
Im on Asia SG region, already migrated. I can't get how is the computation.
XVw0quE.jpg

Last edited:

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
This doesn't make any sense to me. The discount will not be retroactively charged for. We need more examples. The one I saw didn't mention the price the user bought his subscription for.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I'm reading people talk about the catalogue when this new article mentioned, again, that the service is launching with 700 games. The list we know so far doesn't even reach 100 games I believe so, there's no point in speculating if it's worth it or not, we simply can't know right now, unless they're lying.

Have they told in asian markets they'd get way fewer games? I think I'm missing information here.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
It really reflects the type of effort they're putting in to this.
We still don't have a complete list of games, do we?

Sony knows console warriors will defend them online, regardless of the effort spent.

"Sign up for $119.99!"

- "Okay, what games do I get for that?"

"Yes. You will get games."

- "But what games?"

"..."

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, considering the tentative list and the launch line up in the asian regions, they need to add a lot more games before launch.

The Asian list is at around 300 or so, a bit more if you count separate PS4 and PS5 versions as two games. But the Asian lists lacks the PS3 streamed stuff which bumps the number a fair amount.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Honestly, I'll wait it out but feels like if I can just buy PS1 and PSP games without needing premium, I might just upgrade to Extra down the line.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Some nice details and after getting 1 year for 60€ (Premium) I look forward to the service.
I'm pretty sure they just mean you'll be able to continue playing your PS3 PS+ games on your PS3 i.e. you won't lose anything with the launch of this service

At least that's how I read it
Me too.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
The Asian list is at around 300 or so, a bit more if you count separate PS4 and PS5 versions as two games. But the Asian lists lacks the PS3 streamed stuff which bumps the number a fair amount.

Good point but I don't think half the service will be PS3 games, in fact wasn't supposed to be 450 PS4/5 games? I believe even taking PS3 out of the map, we still have a lot to know about the catalogue.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Like... I dunno, not a single PS2 launch game? SSX? Fantavision? The Bouncer? Something?

How about the Ape Escape 3 HD remaster, which was rated years ago for PS4 and never came out?

Nate had indicated they were going to focus on the PS1 portion of the legacy library at first and then PS2 later, so that may still be the plan. Launch the service with whatever PS2 content was already there and then expand it over time.

Anyways, it's day 1 of the first region of this new service. It's very much being built on the back of what came before and will grow and evolve from this starting point. Now we wait and see :)

We'll have the new PS+ Essential June games list next week and the Extra/Premium tiers will get their first game additions at the middle of the month, around the time the service launches in NA.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
This reads like kind of a mess to me but regardless I don't see enough incentive to upgrade.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You gotta be fucking kidding me with all these PAL versions of first party PS1 games.

Dec 11, 2017
This is such a messy release. It's all over the shop. I hope the PS4 and PS5 versions of the same game don't count as two!

Aug 31, 2018
The more I read these lists and explanations, the more confused I get lol. I guess extra works, sort of like gamepass in a way

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I'm kind of surprised that the Game Pass twitter hasn't taken any shots at the launch of this. I guess you don't need to punch down, but I would've thought they'd do a "You can stack up to 3 years anytime you'd like with Game Pass. We promise we won't say your cards are invalid" jab or the like.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I'm kind of surprised that the Game Pass twitter hasn't taken any shots at the launch of this. I guess you don't need to punch down, but I would've thought they'd do a "You can stack up to 3 years anytime you'd like with Game Pass. We promise we won't say your cards are invalid" jab or the like.
At some point, they are very much going to get rid of that loophole.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018

I have PS plus until the end of 2024. Has it been confirmed that you cannot upgrade unless you pay for the difference for the full remaining period? I.e. can I upgrade for only 3 months instead of pay for 2 years worth?