• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I have 205 days left before Plus renewal and have an option to upgrade either to Extra or Deluxe.

Kinda tempting with that games collection in the list, but my 2TB (1TB+ ext 1TB) don't seem to be enough anymore and might hunt for a new drive later.

Also, I hope there will be more PSVR games for collection. Although I mostly focus on PCVR, but would be fine on PS4 since I still have PSVR headset.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
I have 205 days left before Plus renewal and have an option to upgrade either to Extra or Deluxe.
Can you check how much it costs for you to upgrade wrt the annual charge? And verify it against what you had paid for your PS+ subscription? There is some confusion regarding this. Thanks.

enishi

Oct 27, 2017
Hong Kong
This sounds extremely stupid and petty to charge for the discount. Do you have proof of this from multiple sources? Not doubting you, just want to confirm since as I said this seems very stupid.

Sorry, I did not post too long in resetera, I cannot find a site to post my screen cap on PSN.
My PS plus is due on 24th July 2023, which is 1 year 2 months from today.

PS plus essential in HK - HK$308
PS plus Extra in HK - HK$515

The only option in PS Store is paying HK$355.7 to upgrade for Extra.
It is more than the difference for 1.17 years ($515 - 308) * 1.17 = $242.19
My subscription was bought during PS Store discount.

It has been heating up in Hong Kong, Taiwan forums. Maybe there will be news everywhere sooner or later.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? Automatic cloud save uploads is a system option when you have Plus
I'm just going by the text in the FAQ. It might work as with normal games, but that is not what they say in the FAQ.

Will game progress from the PlayStation Plus games catalog be transferred between PS4 and PS5 consoles if I choose to finish the game on a different device?
If you are playing a downloaded game from the PlayStation Plus games catalog, the save data will be saved to your PS4 or PS5 console, depending on the console you are playing on. You can manually upload your game save to PlayStation Plus cloud storage and download it to either a PS4 or PS5 console.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Sorry, I did not post too long in resetera, I cannot find a site to post my screen cap on PSN.

It has been heating up in Hong Kong, Taiwan forums. Maybe there will be news everywhere sooner or later.
Thanks for the explanation. And it's alright, no screen cap needed.

But yeah, this is a very, very stupid policy decision on Sony's part. WTF?
Hopefully they'll rectify this nonsense.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
So they remove the cheap PSNow codes for people who have already paid for plus for several years to upgrade, and then punish them even more by forcing them to lock in to the new tier for years, and on top of that to pay an extra upgrade fee if they bought the sub on discount?

Wow. This is just an excercise in how to punish your most loyal customers.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Can you check how much it costs for you to upgrade wrt the annual charge? And verify it against what you had paid for your PS+ subscription? There is some confusion regarding this. Thanks.

This is what I see for upgrading my Essential to Extra and Deluxe. By the way, I made a typo that I actually have 208 days left, not 205 as initially mentioned.

Extra:
exc2jap.png

MYR269 for a year
MYR108.79 for remaining 208 days

Deluxe:
deiskvp.png

MYR309 for a year
MYR131.69 for remaining 208 days

I truly suck at math, so if anyone want to do some calculation, be my guest.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
This is what I see for upgrading my Essential to Extra and Deluxe. By the way, I made a typo that I actually have 208 days left, not 205 as initially mentioned.

Extra:
exc2jap.png

MYR269 for a year
MYR108.79 for remaining 208 days

Deluxe:
deiskvp.png

MYR309 for a year
MYR131.69 for remaining 208 days

I truly suck at math, so if anyone want to do some calculation, be my guest.
Those prices are so cheap lol. Roughly 70 USD a year for Deluxe. I think in order for anyone to do a calculation though we'd also need to know the price of a year of Essential.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I think the Extra tier would be the best value for me, if I had the time to actually play games...
Will probably have to stick to the Essential tier until my kids are much older... xD

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
For those in Asia that are having to pay more than expected to upgrade, is it certain the difference is coming from previous PS+ discounts, or might it be Sony is not using the annual subscription rates? I.e. 6 months gets calculated as 2x 3 months subscription, 14 months gets calculated as 1 full year and two months.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
For those in Asia that are having to pay more than expected to upgrade, is it certain the difference is coming from previous PS+ discounts, or might it be Sony is not using the annual subscription rates? I.e. 6 months gets calculated as 2x 3 months subscription, 14 months gets calculated as 1 full year and two months.
I paid the full price for Plus so I don't know about those with discounts but I've got about 4 months left and they still use the annual rates for me so I don't think that's the case.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
No, they tried even with monthly fees and final price doesn't match. I've posted already with someone doing the math and Sony just want the money back for the previous discount you took advantage on the PlayStation Store, utterly insane.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Essential is MYR 159 for a year or like about 13 per month.
I can tell you at least from what it looks like that your price to upgrade is seemingly 100 MYR cheaper than buying it outright as a year.

Math I used (and correct me if I'm wrong) is:
159 days (days of Essential that you've used since you had 208 days left) divided by 365 days = .43 (so 43% of your Essential was used up)
157 MYR (cost of a year of Essential) multiplied by .43 = 68.39 MYR for the 159 days of Essential
68.39 + upgrade cost of either Extra or Deluxe is still less than a year bought without upgrading.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I can tell you at least from what it looks like that your price to upgrade is seemingly 100 MYR cheaper than buying it outright as a year.

Math I used (and correct me if I'm wrong) is:
159 days (days of Essential that you've used since you had 208 days left) divided by 365 days = .43 (so 43% of your Essential was used up)
157 MYR (cost of a year of Essential) multiplied by .43 = 68.39 MYR for the 159 days of Essential
68.39 + upgrade cost of either Extra or Deluxe is still less than a year bought without upgrading.
What I used to calculate is by converting them to price per day.
In this case (for extra)
essential 159 per year = 0.44 per day
upgrade 108.79 for 208 days = 0.52 per day
So that's about 0.96 per day

Full price for extra 269 per year = 0.74 per day
So it's 0.22 more per day for the upgrade.

I used this for my case and the number added up perfectly for the price per day for me (paid full price for Plus).

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
What I used to calculate is by converting them to price per day.
In this case (for extra)
essential 159 per year = 0.44 per day
upgrade 108.79 for 208 days = 0.52 per day
So that's about 0.96 per day

Full price for extra 269 per year = 0.74 per day
So it's 0.22 more per day for the upgrade.

I used this for my case and the number added up perfectly for the price per day for me (paid full price for Plus).
Interesting...so it's not like a pro-rated thing then.

Actually it works the same way...but it's still underpaying for the calculation that I used for the guy in Malaysia. I imagine price difference just varies by country.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020

Actually it works the same way...but it's still underpaying for the calculation that I used for the guy in Malaysia. I imagine price difference just varies by country.
No, that's not the case. I assume what's happening is that the user paid 111 MYR for yearly subscription during one of the sales. What Sony is now demanding is that you pay back the discount for the whole year (so 48 MYR) that was given plus the additional fee calculated on a yearly basis (around 60 MYR). People who had not taken the discount would only have the 60 MYR charge as Xils says.

This seems exceptionally greedy tbh. Who asks for discounted money back after the fact. Maybe this is because of some glitch in their price calculation and let's hope they fix it.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

The 113 HKD difference checks out with the 30% discount difference of 14 months (108 HKD).

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Ok perhaps someone more technically minded can help me here. I have ps plus renewing on 15th July and Now on 19th July, both before the European launch. I think I remember something about Now subscribers going up to the premium tier, so in that case should I cancel psplus auto renew?

Xils

Feb 4, 2020

Now that I look at your calculation again, I don't really follow lol. I think what's weird is your conclusion of using 43% of essential+upgrade cost for the days remaining to compare to full year price of extra/deluxe and ignoring the cost of the existing Plus essential for the remaining days.
I think comparing the cost of days remaining would be more accurate because you won't be getting a full year of extra/deluxe with the upgrade.

If you compare the percentages of the day left (208 days = 58%):
Full price 269*0.58 = 156.02

Upgrade price = 108.79
remaining plus sub = 159*0.58 = 92.22
So that's 201.01, around 45 more, and actually pretty close to the 30% discount of Plus (159*0.3 = 47.7 MYR) so you essentially have to pay back the discount money.

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Deluxe

Premium

Essential

Extra

Let's run some card sorting experiments to see if users can quickly order them from lowest cost to highest cost.

Let's also run some card sorting experiments to see if users will know what they get with each tier..

I don't even get your point...

When each tier actually adds on from the previous tier...I don't see the issue....because no matter which tier they get, their is a base expectation:

Games you can claim monthly
Online MP included

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
Any word on how the game trials work yet?

I remember when Sony tested them last year and the trial started the moment you started downloading the game. Hopefully, it's 3 hours of having the application open.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018

This absolutely tracks with them blocking PS Plus code redemption in April. Sony will make you pay one way or another!

EDIT: it got worse

Last edited:

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Woof. I used to grab Plus cards whenever they went on a good sale, so I wound up with years and years of Plus validity. It's biting me in the ass now, as I apparently have to pay to upgrade all 808 days remaining. This is just a really dumb idea on their part, as theres just zero chance I was ever going to pay that much to, essentially, satisfy my curiousity about the new service.

EE70-D64-D-E195-4-AC8-8206-C55-DF764392-C.jpg

I wouldve been in for a couple months, sure, but not two and a half fricking years lol. Between the limited Classics selection and the anemic offerings under Extra, its extremely unlikely I'll be partaking any time soon unless they add more options - I'll just run through the physical games backlog instead whenever the PS5 gets some run. I was looking forward to using it more too!

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Woof. I used to grab Plus cards whenever they went on a good sale, so I wound up with years and years of Plus validity. It's biting me in the ass now, as I apparently have to pay to upgrade all 808 days remaining. This is just a really dumb idea on their part, as theres just zero chance I was ever going to pay that much to, essentially, satisfy my curiousity about the new service.

EE70-D64-D-E195-4-AC8-8206-C55-DF764392-C.jpg

I wouldve been in for a couple months, sure, but not two and a half fricking years lol. Between the limited Classics selection and the anemic offerings under Extra, its extremely unlikely I'll be partaking any time soon unless they add more options - I'll just run through the physical games backlog instead whenever the PS5 gets some run. I was looking forward to using it more too!

Honest question, isn't it normal, if you have years left on your current plan, for the whole thing to be upgraded? I don't think any service like this on any industry lets you just upgrade 1 month.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Honest question, isn't it normal, if you have years left on your current plan, for the whole thing to be upgraded? I don't think any service like this on any industry lets you just upgrade 1 month.
On Xbox, the XBL and XGP services can exist concurrently, with completely separate expiry dates. If you get XGPU (which includes both XBL and XGP), the remaining XBL time gets converted to XGP.

But to the point, I wasn't really comparing this to Xbox at all - its more me explaining why its not an attractive proposition to me personally, outside of what any competitor is doing.

Grazzt

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
MS let you update for up to 3 years for $1.

Besides, you should have an option to convert your current subscription to higher tier at a rate.

The paying back the discounted value is just sad and pathetic.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I just don't know any subscription service where they kinda encourage people to keep stacking up years after years of sub with discounts then revamp how the service work years after it started like this so I'm not sure what's normal in a situation like this.

Maybe not just one month but I think they should at least have an option to allow users to upgrade for a year. No way people who have like 5+ years would be happy to upgrade for the entire duration at once. They'd be losing out on potential customers like this.

--R

Oct 25, 2017
On Xbox, the XBL and XGP services can exist concurrently, with completely separate expiry dates. If you get XGPU (which includes both XBL and XGP), the remaining XBL time gets converted to XGP.

But to the point, I wasn't really comparing this to Xbox at all - its more me explaining why its not an attractive proposition to me personally, outside of what any competitor is doing.

I know that Xbox has 2 different services, but this is unified into one. I wasn't comparing it to Xbox at all, I'm saying that this is normal for services because they don't let you upgrade for just a period of time when upgrading to a new tier.

MS let you update for up to 3 years for $1.

Besides, you should have an option to convert your current subscription to higher tier at a rate.

The paying back the discounted value is just sad and pathetic.

Again, I'm not talking about rates. I'm talking about the whole thing being upgraded, which is what's normal. (And also, the discounted value part isn't true. Sony can't tell if you bought 3rd party cards at a discount. The user in question is being offered a discount for 2 years+ for $110 SGD when a year costs $103 SGD)

I just don't know any subscription service where they kinda encourage people to keep stacking up years after years of sub with discounts then revamp how the service work years after it started like this so I'm not sure what's normal in a situation like this.

Maybe not just one month but I think they should at least have an option to allow users to upgrade for a year. No way people who have like 5+ years would be happy to upgrade for the entire duration at once. They'd be losing out on potential customers like this.

I mean, you can compare it to any service that has different tiers with upgrades. They don't let you upgrade only a part of it, do they? They only let you upgrade the whole thing, which is what I'm saying.

enishi

Oct 27, 2017
Hong Kong
Again, I'm not talking about rates. I'm talking about the whole thing being upgraded, which is what's normal. (And also, the discounted value part isn't true. Sony can't tell if you bought 3rd party cards at a discount. The user in question is being offered a discount for 2 years+ for $110 SGD when a year costs $103 SGD)

Not every region is lucky enough to buy PS plus card at discount. Here in Hong Kong/Taiwan, the only discount offer for PS Plus is directly in PSN during some festival seasons or Play of Days events.

There are already many calculations (including myself) showing that Sony did charge this difference in upgrade fee. Of course it could be the bug in their calculation model that will be fixed. But it is the situation now.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I know that Xbox has 2 different services, but this is unified into one. I wasn't comparing it to Xbox at all, I'm saying that this is normal for services because they don't let you upgrade for just a period of time when upgrading to a new tier.
Sure, thats a rational take when you compare it to other services, maybe maintaining separate expiry dates for services is beyond the capabilities of the PSN back end, who knows. (Personally, I feel PlayStation is uniquely positioned to have concurrent expiry dates, as their offering is tiered - you cant have extra without Essential, and you cant have Premium/Deluxe without Extra and Essential. So when the higher tier expires, the lower tier remains.)

But thats speculative. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if "it's what most other providers allow", if the choices Sony presents me are "pay us a whole bunch of money to upgrade to our new service" or "dont pay us anything at all to keep what you've already got", with no middle ground, you'd better believe that I (and I expect, most other people in the same boat) would choose the latter.

--R

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, thats a rational take when you compare it to other services, maybe maintaining separate expiry dates for services is beyond the capabilities of the PSN back end, who knows. (Personally, I feel PlayStation is uniquely positioned to have concurrent expiry dates, as their offering is tiered - you cant have extra without Essential, and you cant have Premium/Deluxe without Extra and Essential. So when the higher tier expires, the lower tier remains.)

But thats speculative. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if "it's what most other providers allow", if the choices Sony presents me are "pay us a whole bunch of money to upgrade to our new service" or "dont pay us anything at all to keep what you've already got", with no middle ground, you'd better believe that I (and I expect, most other people in the same boat) would choose the latter.

Even if there are multiple tiers, it's 1 subscription. When that subscription ends, it just ends, you can't make a subscription have "6 months of tier 3, then 2 months of tier 2, then 1 month of tier 1". And I know it sucks to see the high fee, but, again, talking about stacked time, no company is going to let you upgrade for a period of time when you have time stacked.

Not every region is lucky enough to buy PS plus card at discount. Here in Hong Kong/Taiwan, the only discount offer for PS Plus is directly in PSN during some festival seasons or Play of Days events.

There are already many calculations (including myself) showing that Sony did charge this difference in upgrade fee. Of course it could be the bug in their calculation model that will be fixed. But it is the situation now.

Can I see those calculations? I'm curious about them.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Even if there are multiple tiers, it's 1 subscription. When that subscription ends, it just ends, you can't make a subscription have "6 months of tier 3, then 2 months of tier 2, then 1 month of tier 1". And I know it sucks to see the high fee, but, again, talking about stacked time, no company is going to let you upgrade for a period of time when you have time stacked.
Uh... just a couple months ago, PlayStation Plus Essential (vanilla PS Plus) and PlayStation Plus Extra (PS Now) existed independently of each other, with separate expiry dates in the PS4/PS5 services menu. Now that they relaunched it as a tiered, unified PS Plus service, theyre suddenly joined at the hip since its an "upgrade" now?

I get the business sense of bundling stuff together, I'm sure theyll sell more this way, but the argument that its not possible on a technical level doesnt make sense to me at all.

OP
OP
brokenswiftie

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
unknown.png

im actually impressed Sony knows if you ps plus on a discount years later

Last edited:

THube

Oct 27, 2017
Trophies being optional for publishers is good news. That said, trophies for I.Q. is an amazing concept

ffmafia

Oct 28, 2017
It's not really a loophole (neither was the PS Now trick) and Xbox even advertised it years ago. If they wanted to close it, they would've already and not advertise it.

Right now they are in a "growth" phase of a service. Once they are in the "income" phase, that incentive will most likely be removed. It's not a new tactic. Companies rolling out new services often offer amazing incentives to get as many users on, as quickly as possible. Helps with word of mouth spread as well as investor reports when providing future growth outlook

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
unknown.png

im actually impressed Sony knows if you ps plus on a discount years later

Same tbh. I usually buy my next year of PS+ when it goes on sale for Black Friday. All it's ever shown when I input the code into the PS Store is that I'm "redeeming a year of PS+". It kinda blows my mind that they'd know that key was purchased for cheaper than it's normal price. Like, the key is out of their hands and in retailers now, so how would they track which keys sold at Gamestop/Amazon were sold for full price and which went out the stores for $10 off?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Right now they are in a "growth" phase of a service. Once they are in the "income" phase, that incentive will most likely be removed. It's not a new tactic. Companies rolling out new services often offer amazing incentives to get as many users on, as quickly as possible. Helps with word of mouth spread as well as investor reports when providing future growth outlook
You are right. I think the Gold/GP conversation will be available for a very long time though. As you said GP is still in the growth phase and imo will be for years to come.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Do we know yet if redeemable codes will be available when the service comes to the West, as opposed to subscribing through the PS Store?

Has there been any word on any sort of region locking too? I'm in the UK but my account is North American. Never had issues downloading things or playing online but would be nice to know just in case.

Oct 25, 2017
The initial sample list Sony put out had Wipeout Omega Collection and Gravity Rush Remastered in the Extra tier, but the full list from Asia places both of those games in the Deluxe/Premium tier instead. Same for the LocoRoco games and maybe more, I haven't done a thorough comparison.

What's the deal? Is this the kind of regional variation we should expect?