• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console arrive?

• H2 2019

Votes: 638 14.1%
  • H1 2020

Votes: 724 16.0%
  • H2 2020

Votes: 2,813 62.2%
  • H1 2021

Votes: 141 3.1%
  • H2 2021

Votes: 208 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Well, I sure picked a shitty day to sleep in!

One thing. Are there any cases of a console codename showing up in something like UE4 and then genuinely not coming out for another 2.5 years? It would be nice to know that even if Erebus isn't PS5, it's still something that will be coming out in the next 18 months or so. That's exciting in and of itself.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've also read it wrong. Though personally, I think PS5 will arrive Q4 2019, 1H 2020 the latest.
I fully expect the console to be released early enough for people to put it in their Christmas list.

PS4 was released in the middle of November, though announced much earlier. I don't see any reason for PS5 to do anything different. No point making changes when it worked well enough last time.

I do wonder if the Japanese release would be delayed to the year after though, which was what happened to PS4.

But as explained, I am in team 2020. There is just not enough leaks right now to believe a 2019 release is in the works.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Well done! I would think Epic makes sense as one of the first recipients of a dev kit given how important they are in the business now. Tons of smaller devs and Japanese devs are using UE4 now, and they're also a technical leader that can give useful feedback to Sony.

Yep, and if we look back at the PS4 reveal, UE4 was even the very first thing they showed us running on PS4, I think this also shows how important they are for Sony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiNGZMx2vhY&t=18m00s

Nope, I wish I still had so much hair like this guy! But funny how these things spread, lol.

Radical_Ed

Nov 1, 2017
God, I really hate the typography of the PS3 redesign. Every time it is used to a fake render of the PS5 I want to hang myself of a tree.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think it's anything to get excited about tbh.

Even if there's anything to it it's probably just Epic working on getting their engine ready for next-gen. Given the importance of UE4 it'd make sense for Sony to give them early access to development kit/libraries as it means more devs can get working on games well before launch.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I believe erebus is the code name for the non-final PS5, PC equivalent. Isn't that what orbis was? The PC equivalent of what the PS4 was going to be, then Neo was the debug system?
Orbis was the codename of PS4, it's not greek, its just a latin word.
Neo and Morpheus made sense cause of the Matrix movie reference, it just happens that it was based on greek mythology

On the other hand Scorpio is actually also based on greek mythology and has several stories around it.

MS is pushing XB1X bundles too. Maybe they just like selling more expensive consoles?

Well done! I would think Epic makes sense as one of the first recipients of a dev kit given how important they are in the business now. Tons of smaller devs and Japanese devs are using UE4 now, and they're also a technical leader that can give useful feedback to Sony.

BTW, is this you?
https://gearnuke.com/new-erebus-platform-found-in-unreal-engine-4-could-be-the-playstation-5-rumor/
Why this insistence of wanting this to be the PS5 codename ? Probably excitation. Cause Sony didn't officially announce their next console, Microsoft did so that would make sense that they begin to send devkits. Particularly when they actually sorely need a new generation considering their current worldwide position against PS4.

A name is just a name (as far as we know it could be a temporary name given by Epic) but the UE4 code is clear: Erebus is to be logically treated the same as XB1 in their crossplay relation against PS4. So erebus can't be PS5 otherwise they would have grouped it with PS4, not against.

Everything point to Erebus being the codename of Scarlet or another Microsot hardware in UE4

Last edited:

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Orbis was the codename of PS4, it's not greek, its just a latin word.
Neo and Morpheus made sense cause of the Matrix movie reference, it just happens that it was based on greek mythology

On the other hand Scorpio is actually also based on greek mythology and has several stories around it.

Why this insistence of wanting this to be the PS5 codename ? Probably excitation. Cause Sony didn't officially announce their next console, Microsoft did so that would make sense that they begin to send devkits. Particularly when they actually sorely need a new generation considering their current worldwide position against PS4.

A name is just a name (as far as we know it could be a temporary name given by Epic) but the UE4 code is clear: Erebus is to be logically treated the same as XB1 in their crossplay relation against PS4. So erebus can't be PS5 otherwise they would have grouped it with PS4, not against.

Everything point to Erebus being the codename of Scarlet or another Microsot hardware in UE4

This doesn't make any sense to me.MS just released new console last November and now they are already sending dev kits for Scarlet that is coming,as we heard from several sources,in 2020?And Scarlet is supposed to come before PS5 after Sony released Pro 1 whole year before X1X?

Just no.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
So they'll announce a new console for 2020 in January 2019? PS4 was announced in Feb 2013 and released later that year...

No one mentioned anything about announcements!?

Curufinwe said the phrase 'there will be new consoles next year' to which he added: 'Is a statement that will make sense in four months and three days time'.

Meaning in four months and three days on the 1st of January 2019 saying 'there will be new consoles next year' will make sense to him (because I assume he believes both consoles release in 2020).

That's it.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Yes i know.

But they haven't stopped making xbox one s bundles and shifted to only xbox one x bundles.

Sony has stopped doing ps4 slim bundles this year for the most part and is only doing ps4 pro bundles.

While this may mean nothing, it is different enough to indicate that there is a chance they are pushing pro bundles because they want to move stock. Just an idea. Not saying its 100 percent right

Maybe if they have an over abundance of PS4 Pro die. Otherwise, they're going through the trouble of pushing out revisions of the PS4 Pro, and the Spider-Man bundle requires complete separate casing due to its red enclosure. That's not about moving existing stock in warehouse. For comparison, Microsoft is throwing sleeves on existing XB1X consoles and tossing in a paper game voucher. That's how the bundle I just bought came.

Nope, I wish I still had so much hair like this guy! But funny how these things spread, lol.

You're not the least bit perturbed they essentially lifted your post without attribution?

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't make any sense to me.MS just released new console last November and now they are already sending dev kits for Scarlet that is coming,as we heard from several sources,in 2020?And Scarlet is supposed to come before PS5 after Sony released Pro 1 whole year before X1X?

Just no.
They already announced their next gen console and their internal codename just only 7 months after they released XBX. Does it make sense ? It just what they do. They clearly want to start a new generation sooner than Sony for me. Like they did with X360 which released one year before PS3, and that actually worked for them.

Intersect

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Idk.

Maybe its a switch type version of ps4 and not a ps1 classic console. Let's say if its a PS4 Hybrid model, like say a 7nm on a 10 inch tablet with a huge battery idk how it work but lets just say it is somehow: maybe its another "mode" for ps4 game development a la switch portable mode + docked mode.

Here's yet another crazy fucking idea: its a portable device that plays some ps4 content. The "passing through" and "shadow" parts really stand out to me. Sounds like a companion device imo.

Maybe a dedicated ps4 remote play type device? Idk.
Just some thoughts on what we should already know:

Next Playstation should have Navi features likely Infinity fabric (NoC, Security, allowing accelerator blocks) and UHD DRM for the GPU allowing it to be used for multiple codecs.

The Playstation (PS4.3 or PS5) will likely also be a in home streaming device (games and media) between cloud servers and smart TVs/tablets/phones. By 2020 it should be a ATSC 3.0 DVR, again between a TV tuner and TVs, Tablets and Phones. By 2020 if it has a UHD Blu-ray player it should also support 8K (4k 3D) and the Panasonic/Sony proposed digital bridge.

AND

We know that multiple accessories (Haptics and otherwise) are coming with or during the PS5 life. The Greek name flow chart makes room for 5 major accessories and a number of child products?

His last point is important because it points to a change in strategy that is part of Sony's decision to explicitly develop a longer-lasting core product, and also highlights one of the main design challenges inherent within it.

If the next PlayStation has to deliver stellar performance out-of-the-box, it also has to have enough processing headroom to carry on delighting the consumer for long after with new options. That means that Sony is, as Tsuruta's earlier comment suggests, creating a new product with a view to peripherals that will be added post-launch – in some cases, quite some time after – and being more open today about what they are likely to be.

At December 2011's International Electron Devices Meeting, Tsuruta delivered a keynote on 'Interactive Games' that was as much shopping list as strategic vision. It set out a Sony gameplan that includes games which can respond to a player's emotions, with controllers that incorporate more motion-sensing accelerometers, and even vital signs sensors. There's even been talk of systems that read players' eye movements.

Then the company wants to up the ante in haptics technology. Current controllers may vibrate or give some sense of resistance to the user's movements, but this vision is one that incorporates sufficient touch sensitivity to, say, reproduce the full tactile sensation of stroking a cat. Then there's Augmented Reality (AR), a Sony concept that will make its first-generation debut in the handheld PlayStation Vita, launching in Europe next month. This feature uses the camera on the tablet-like player to capture your real-world surroundings, and CGI characters are then inserted within them for you to interact with.

For the future of AR, Tsuruta's presentation imagined a 3D version using lightweight glasses to create a hybrid gaming environment - no mean task. Locating 3D virtual objects within 'flat' environments is hard enough, particularly in real-time – only a handful of research projects, including SLAM (Simultaneous Localisation and Mapping) at Imperial College, London's department of Computing, have even begun to tackle the same challenges for 3D rendered ones.

"For the haptics and the very advanced graphics, we are talking about those five years at least, 2013 + 5 years = 2018 or later.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
They already announced their next gen console and their internal codename just only 7 months after they released XBX. Does it make sense ? It just what they do. They clearly want to start a new generation sooner than Sony for me. Like they did with X360 which released one year before PS3, and that actually worked for them.

Kinda agree here. I don't think MS wants to give Sony a headstart for the next gen. They are working hard on building up some goodwill and don't want Sony to have the momentum early on starting into the next gen. They will release Scarlet simultaniously, or even a bit earlier.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
so i havent been here in this thread for a long time .

for PS5 are we on 19 or 20 train?

Most are still 2020 (see poll at the top) but I ain't ruling out 2019 yet. And nor are even the insiders prepared to rule 2019 out either. Or talk at all really. Scarlet seems more likely to be 2020 with many insiders/game sites indicating such quite freely.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Most are still 2020 (see poll at the top) but I ain't ruling out 2019 yet. And nor are even the insiders prepared to rule 2019 out either. Or talk at all really. Scarlet seems more likely to be 2020 with many insiders/game sites indicating such quite freely.
k so not much has changed . thanks for reply. i m guessing anywhere from November 2019 to Oct 2020 is where it lands

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Sony relased Pro Q4 2016,after PS4 Q4 2013.
PS5 Q4 2019 makes lot of sense for them.

Why should Sony let MS launch new console before PS5?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
You mean they announced that they were working on their next gen console and an Insider leaked the codename.

Intersect

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
No one mentioned anything about announcements!?

Curufinwe said the phrase 'there will be new consoles next year' to which he added: 'Is a statement that will make sense in four months and three days time'.

Meaning in four months and three days on the 1st of January 2019 saying 'there will be new consoles next year' will make sense to him (because I assume he believes both consoles release in 2020).

That's it.
Funny, I read that as new consoles ship in 2019 early enough that 90% comply with 2019 Tier 4 power caps.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
You're not the least bit perturbed they essentially lifted your post without attribution?

It's a bit strange, and it seems he also copied stuff from other users, but then again... it's just a small, rather unimportant site, so I don't care too much. At least there is a link to resetera.

Probably just a matter of time now until someone either confirms or denies this. I mean even if it isn't the PS5 code name, it could be still something interesting, who knows.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Funny, I read that as new consoles ship in 2019 early enough that 90% comply with 2019 Tier 4 power caps.

mL80az.gif

Maybe Curufinewe can put us out of our misery...?

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Sony will launch PS5 when they are ready. As the ones with an advantage, they have no reason to be reactive.

I disagree.They want PS5 to ride on the success of PS4 so they should strike while the iron is hot and release PS5 late next year,before next Xbox ,and lock existing PS4 owners in PS ecosystem.
They are not gonna wait for PS4 sales to slow down significantly to launch its successor.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wouldn't rule out an early 2020 release for PS5, as that appeals to hardcore PS fans and aligns with where Sony launches most of their exclusives now. I still think there's a 30-40% chance we get it in late 2019, but that's a moving percentage in my mind. Could easily go up or down.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree.They want PS5 to ride on the success of PS4 so they should strike while the iron is hot and release PS5 late next year,before next Xbox ,and lock existing PS4 owners in PS ecosystem.
They are not gonna wait for PS4 sales to slow down significantly to launch its successor.
Release early had no demonstrate-able benefit historically. So no, it matters not.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Release early had no demonstrate-able benefit historically. So no, it matters not.

You keep trying to push this narrative, but you're still wrong. For the past several generations, the first console to release has always been the successor to one of the previous generation's losers, trying to use a head start to make up for their currently rocky position and finding out that it's not an instant-win button, especially when facing the power of the Playstation brand. Not even remotely comparable to the PS5 getting a year's head start on Scarlet, especially not when you consider the massive importance of locking people into your online ecosystem, which is relatively recent, or the projected lack of technological leaps in 2020.

To put in context the kids will understand, this would be the equivalent of hitting your NOS too early, and that makes you a buster.

... Christ, I am old.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
You keep trying to push this narrative, but you're still wrong. For the past several generations, the first console to release has always been the successor to one of the previous generation's losers, trying to use a head start to make up for their currently rocky position and finding out that it's not an instant-win button, especially when facing the power of the Playstation brand. Not even remotely comparable to the PS5 getting a year's head start on Scarlet, especially not when you consider the massive importance of locking people into your online ecosystem, which is relatively recent, or the projected lack of technological leaps in 2020.

... Christ, I am old.

Exactly.It seems lot of people don't get this.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I still say both Microsoft and Sony are doing their own thing development and release timing wise. Whether one releases 2019 and the other 2020, both 2019 or both 2020 it would be the case they were planned for years in advance.

This idea that they can move release up and down on a whim and in response to each other is silly in this day and age. It was silly (but amazing!) when Sega did the surprise release.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still say both Microsoft and Sony are doing their own thing development and release timing wise. Whether one releases 2019 and the other 2020, both 2019 or both 2020 it would be the case they were planned for years in advance.

This idea that they can move release up and down on a whim and in response to each other is silly in this day and age. It was silly (but amazing!) when Sega did the surprise release.

This is very important context when discussing the timing of releases. Neither vendor is going to move their next console release up by a year or more because of what the competition is doing.

Thankfully, it seems like most folk in here have that in mind when discussing either 2019 or 2020 releases for PS5. I've only seen a few drive-by posts about how a 2019 release is definite because "lol Xbox One X is schooling Sony".

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Well, I suppose there's no real reason why they couldn't delay the release, right? Same as how they could add RAM but not take it away? Devs would just get more time to complete their games, manufacturing would have more time to make consoles, and they could maybe bump clocks or add extra RAM. It would not be ideal and they'd only do it if forced, but it doesn't seem impossible in the ways that moving up a release would often be.

This is very important context when discussing the timing of releases. Neither vendor is going to move their next console release up by a year or more because of what the competition is doing.

Thankfully, it seems like most folk in here have that in mind when discussing either 2019 or 2020 releases for PS5. I've only seen a few drive-by posts about how a 2019 release is definite because "lol Xbox One X is schooling Sony".

Oh, for sure. If PS5 releases in 2019 it'll be because that was the plan from the start.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

I agree.These plans are made years in advance.Sony decided to release Pro in 2016,they could wait like MS for 2017 but they didn't.I think when they decided 2016 for Pro ,it is logical 2019 could be for the new PS5. 2013/2016/2019

Of course this all depends if new production tech is available.Pro was one of the first non mobile machines using 16nm and i expect PS5 to repeat that with 7nm later next year.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Both of them would like to get a head start on the other. They both understand the advantage.

But here is what we know is different:
-Scarlet has been rumoured to be 2020
-Sony was able to incorporate 16nm into a new chipset a year before Microsoft was
-AMD is rumoured to be heavily resourced towards PS5
-Sony would have theoretically started full development of PS5 a year before Microsoft due to Pro releasing a year before X
-Scarlett already has its code name

Whether or not Erebus is PS5 (I'm leaning towards not) PS5 is likely going to have a sizeable head start on scarlet, and Sony is is in the most likely position to deliver a 7nm console (which is the main technological leap needed for a new gen) as soon as the tech is ready.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erebus

Check the bolded!

In Greek mythology, Erebus /ˈɛrɪbəs, -əb-/,[1] also Erebos (Greek: Ἔρεβος, "deep darkness, shadow"),[2] was often conceived as a primordial deity, representing the personification of darkness; for instance, Hesiod's Theogony identifies him as one of the first five beings in existence, born of Chaos

Well, I think this indicates the next PlayStation will be black!

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

... Christ, I am old.
I'm not sure I get your angle here... you seem to be agreeing with his point.

The fact is releasing early isn't a panacea. It has to be done with a good launch strategy. The Xbox 360 is perhaps the best example of preempting the cycle. Strong hardware, good value proposition and feature innovation, and good pricing. RROD is its only scar, but they definitely benefited from PS3's woes. Regardless of when they launch, I don't expect any blatant errors from either MS or Sony this gen. Sony understands why PS4 was successful and seems primed to repeat it, with the addition of BC compared to last gen. If they make it cross play out of the gate, there'll be no obvious deficiencies. Similarly, MS is increasing first party studios, and seems to understand that winning hardcore users first is key. Spencer is very in tune with the market.

This gen is likely to start with native BC, and evolution of proven dev tools, and a noticeable increase in CPU/GPU power, with focus on there being more balance. The industry is in a good place.