Status
Not open for further replies.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Why the $499 band-wagon for PS5? I've seen several people here shooting for the higher price. I get that people are thinking this because of the X1X price, but especially after the PS3 price debacle and the subsequent success of the PS4 (against a higher priced X1), do people think Sony can't deliver a great system for $399? Is it because they think Sony should fear an Xbox rival at $499? (Maybe it's just a desire for the best tech, price be damned, which I get, but think is a mistake).

I seriously doubt a PS5 at $399 has much to fear from a new Xbox, regardless of price and specs. Sony might even relish an Xbox $100 more than them in the market-place (again), even if it is more powerful this time.

Am I missing something here? Because I don't see the need for the price bump and I don't see how you sell the price increase to your customers. It might well be a harder sell for Microsoft (for a hypothetical $499 next-gen Xbox Vs a $399 PS5) if the visible gap between the consoles doesn't turn out to be $100-worth to the customer.

I don't care about any console war crap, but I hope the PS5 is $500 because I want it to be as powerful as possible. Same goes for the next Xbox. The more power all around can only benefit us gamers.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why the $499 band-wagon for PS5? I've seen several people here shooting for the higher price. I get that people are thinking this because of the X1X price, but especially after the PS3 price debacle and the subsequent success of the PS4 (against a higher priced X1), do people think Sony can't deliver a great system for $399? Is it because they think Sony should fear an Xbox rival at $499? (Maybe it's just a desire for the best tech, price be damned, which I get, but think is a mistake).

I seriously doubt a PS5 at $399 has much to fear from a new Xbox, regardless of price and specs. Sony might even relish an Xbox $100 more than them in the market-place (again), even if it is more powerful this time.

Am I missing something here? Because I don't see the need for the price bump and I don't see how you sell the price increase to your customers. It might well be a harder sell for Microsoft (for a hypothetical $499 next-gen Xbox Vs a $399 PS5) if the visible gap between the consoles doesn't turn out to be $100-worth to the customer.
Inflation mostly

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
yeah, that's why I'm not mentioning anything regarding performance because thats up in the air. But (a souped up) Raven Ridge looks like a plausible 'foundation' for a possible PS5 regarding architecture.

But that's the thing, Raven Ridge doesn't even use the same foundations (Zen 1 and Vega) as what later AMD APUs on their roadmaps will use, nor what the PS5 would use (at least Zen 2 and Navi).

Just as the OG PS4 APU in 2013 did not use the same CPU+GPU foundations as AMD's earlier APUs that came out in 2011.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
But that's the thing, Raven Ridge doesn't even use the same foundations (Zen 1 and Vega) as what later AMD APUs on their roadmaps will use, nor what the PS5 would use (at least Zen 2 and Navi).

Just as the OG PS4 APU in 2013 did not use the same CPU+GPU foundations as AMD's earlier APUs that came out in 2011.

Hence 'souped up', and I also mentioned zen2/navi features in an earlier post. I would love for it to be fully zen2/navi based but I'd rather aim low to manage my expectations.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Agreed, a new console in the PS4 iteration march waits primarily for the cost reduction and performance benefits from a node reduction. 7nm is supposed to decrease costs of the APU by 30% all other things being equal.

I am pretty sure the next machine will not merely be an iteration on the Pro level Jeff, just the components coming next would shut that down.

This is indeed what we will have in the first few years during the PS5 era...
Remember, the large majority of the games will be cross-gen.

Am i the only one who thinks traditional crossgen is going away? If one thing has been proven in the iterative cycle, its that devs can make worthwhile upgrades to their software via patch.

There wont be traditional crossgen games (IE two individual boxes on a shelf at a store)....instead if PS5 is BC with PS4 games, PS4 games will be taken advantage of by the PS5 HW similar to Pro titles, and that will be the extent of crossgen support, while PS5 games will merely be exclusive PS5 titles

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can someone create a thread for me?

I would like to know people's opinion on the next gen consoles (PS5 and NextBox specifically) having a high end model at launch along with the base model.

Like, PS5 at $399 (or base model at $499, honestly dont know what price they are going for with the mass market option next gen) and PS5 Pro at $599 (or more).

Do you guys think it would work out?

Smartphones' industry has been doing this for years now and it works really well for them. Thoughts?

Ilovehotmoms

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

have you seen current GPU and ram prices ?

$500 is the best case scenario

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
TPP took several years to come out and i imagine GZ only became a thing because Konami wanted some money back on 4-5 year cycle. Just speculation on my part of course.

Wasn't MGS4 originally 2007 as well? I believe it was
MGSV was never delayed, they were making an engine as well as an open world game parallel to each other which is a monumental task. It was never delayed though and Kojima already confirmed that MGSV released on track.

MGS4 though, yes it was delayed 6 months or so I believe. So all in all 2 game out of 8 games was delayed. Does that scream "Death Stranding will be this Gens The last Guardian" to you"?

The non delayed Kojima led games are

MG1
MG2
MGS1
MGS2
MGS3
MGSV

Delayed Kojima led games are

MGS4. (6 months)
MGS Peace walker (3 weeks and only in UK and Japan)

I would like to know people's opinion on the next gen consoles (PS5 and NextBox specifically) having a high end model at launch along with the base model.

Like, PS5 at $399 (or base model at $499, honestly dont know what price they are going for with the mass market option next gen) and PS5 Pro at $599 (or more).

Smartphones' industry has been doing this for years now and it works really well for them. Thoughts?

Go here

https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...dopt-a-user-program.2891/page-26#post-1430883

Oct 27, 2017
MGSV was never delayed, they were making an engine as well as an open world game parallel to each other which is a monumental task. It was never delayed though and Kojima already confirmed that MGSV released on track.

MGS4 though, yes it was delayed 6 months or so I believe. So all in all 2 game out of 8 games was delayed. Does that scream "Death Stranding will be this Gens The last Guardian" to you"?

The non delayed Kojima led games are

MG1
MG2
MGS1
MGS2
MGS3
MGSV

Delayed Kojima led games are

MGS4. (6 months)
MGS Peace walker (3 weeks and only in UK and Japan)

Go here

https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...dopt-a-user-program.2891/page-26#post-1430883
I never agreed with the TLG comment.

I just said 4 was delayed. And I imagine Kojima thinks 5 was on time and it probably was but releasing GZ 1.5 years earlier really makes me think Konami wanted return on their investment sooner in development or else why release a glorified demo? (Which I liked)

I don't think DS is anywhere near TLG level of development tho I think it was announced really early

Oct 27, 2017

Smartphones have been doing it but you still see millions on cheap android phones and Apple is supposed to be updating their $350 SE model early 2018.

I think the general consumer has an easier time justifying smartphone price coz they use it for so many things: As their main PC/computer, for work, for kids entertainment, for personal use, calls, text, media, etc.

Gaming consoles can do a lot of things now but I feel like most people still see them as primarily for gaming and not necessarily an everyday essential item. Much less an item you have to stay up to date with.

I imagine a big reason why the ps4 did so well at $199 this Black Friday weekend was because that was finally the price all the parents who bought their kids 360s in 2010-2012 were happy with.

I see no reason why Sony would stray from $399. They have too much negative history with higher price points.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

It's unlikely that MS will release a full new console only two years after the release of the X, so Sony would likely have at least a year solo if they released in Holiday 2019. In that case, a $499 price could work fine, especially if it was justified by the power and features.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
I never agreed with the TLG comment.

I just said 4 was delayed. And I imagine Kojima thinks 5 was on time and it probably was but releasing GZ 1.5 years earlier really makes me think Konami wanted return on their investment sooner in development or else why release a glorified demo? (Which I liked)

I don't think DS is anywhere near TLG level of development tho I think it was announced really early
Cool, cool. Yeah TLG statement was a little far fetched, I think we'll see a big blow out of DS at TGA and E32018. He said it's releasing before 2019 so it's gotta be 2018 right?

GZ was definitely released as a return on investment, it's something we all on GAF thought as well. Although reading around it seems like it was used to guage the release date of TPP as well for some reason.

I do agree that Death Stranding was announced really early. I don't do long hype periods, It gets me excited yes but it also really pisses me off when we have to wait long periods without no info. It's just my luck that it usually happens to games im super interested in.

MGSV
Death Stranding
FF7 Remake
FFXV
Etc etc.

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, cool. Yeah TLG statement was a little far fetched, I think we'll see a big blow out of DS at TGA and E32018. He said it's releasing before 2019 so it's gotta be 2018 right?

GZ was definitely released as a return on investment, it's something we all on GAF thought as well. Although reading around it seems like it was used to guage the release date of TPP as well for some reason.

I do agree that Death Stranding was announced really early. I don't do long hype periods, It gets me excited yes but it also really pisses me off when we have to wait long periods without no info. It's just my luck that it usually happens to games im super interested in.

MGSV
Death Stranding
FF7 Remake
FFXV
Etc etc.
If DS somehow manages to hit in 2018 then it may somehow top a stellar 2017

Ilovehotmoms

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What will GPU and RAM prices be 3 years from now?

Sony has to sign contracts for parts/ manufacturing as soon as they finalize specs So they have a year or two. Unless they launch in 2019 which means specs will be finalized in the next 6 months so have mercy on our souls price wise because the GPU/Ram market is beyond fucked right now.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony has to sign contracts for parts/ manufacturing as soon as they finalize specs So they have a year or two. Unless they launch in 2019 which means specs will be finalized in the next 6 months so have mercy on our souls price wise because the GPU/Ram market is beyond fucked right now.
I think it's funny anyone thinks Sony might launch a new console in 2019. Not going to happen.

Socky

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK

have you seen current GPU and ram prices ?

$500 is the best case scenario

Sure, I can see a case where increased prices require some kind of compromise on design which manufacturers aren't prepared to make, but I can't imagine too many cases where that might lead to a full $100 kick on the ticket price. The X1X has perhaps put down a marker, though I still think selling that kind of price to early adopters might be a step too far at this point, without some kind of USP (like 4K was), which I don't think they're going to have.

It's unlikely that MS will release a full new console only two years after the release of the X, so Sony would likely have at least a year solo if they released in Holiday 2019. In that case, a $499 price could work fine, especially if it was justified by the power and features.

I'm not convinced of your scenario, but sure, in that situation it might. I'm not saying $499 couldn't happen, I just think it's more likely to stay at the $399 band.

Am i the only one who thinks traditional crossgen is going away? If one thing has been proven in the iterative cycle, its that devs can make worthwhile upgrades to their software via patch.

There wont be traditional crossgen games (IE two individual boxes on a shelf at a store)....instead if PS5 is BC with PS4 games, PS4 games will be taken advantage of by the PS5 HW similar to Pro titles, and that will be the extent of crossgen support, while PS5 games will merely be exclusive PS5 titles

I agree with that. I expect there to be a certain percentage of games that are firmly PS5-only, with all other PS4 games being playable on the PS5 just as they are on the Pro, with similarly scaled graphics/resolutions/frame-rate/effects. As time goes on the ratio of PS5-only games would increase of course. I see this as the best solution and hope it turns out like this.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but if the price tag turns away consumers and the console is less successful, it absolutely hurts gamers.

If $500 is the new standard, I don't think it will have the negative impact that you're worried about. At that point specs and games will matter. The people who don't care to spend that much can wait for a price drop. The early adopters will usually jump in if the value is there though.

Socky

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK
If as some seem to think $499 might be a new standard price point for Sony/Microsoft (I'm still not clear why, but whatever), I would ask this:

What kind of performance benefit do the tech-knowledgable here think a PS5 released in late 2019/2020 might see from an extra $100? Would you expect a ~25% boost in overall power? Do you think the power boost is worth it to Sony and the consumer?

Intersect

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

In 2016 we had TWO PS4s, a Slim @ lower price and the Pro. From efficientgaming.eu we have two definitions and two new (2019) Tier 4 Power caps for TWO Consoles which are likely Sony PS4s for 2019 released Holiday 2018. One is a more powerful thus expensive version and the other is less powerful and should be cheaper. The Pro was $399 @ release and Sony said they were considering a $100 more expensive PS4 which might have a Zen processor so $499 is not out of line for the more powerful 2019 PS4.

They were also teasing that a more powerful more expensive 2016 console might support UHD Blu-ray. The Sony statements in hindsight do not make sense for the 2016 Holiday season as it was too late in the design cycle to have a choice.. Honest Confusion by a Sony representative for the next 2019 PS4 as both the 2019 consoles should be more powerful and support UHD Media?

I think statements at that time were a defense for Sony not implementing UHD Blu-ray when the XB1 had UHD Blu-ray. The XB1 released with UHD Blu-ray at no increase in price which made the Sony statement suspect

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really doubting Sony will release a more powerful PS4 in 2018 or 2019.

My money is on PS5 in 2020. That's what they should be focusing on.
Same here, whatever their plan is we should get a glimpse of it through their quarterly financial report sometime next year or in 2019.
R&D costs should be in there somewhere which would signal what their intentions are.

HDMI 2.1 spec have been finalized and published, 2 more years in the oven for OLED/Micro-OLED to bake further is most welcome as well IMO.

https://www.hdmi.org/press/press_release.aspx?prid=152
HDMI FORUM RELEASES VERSION 2.1 OF THE HDMI SPECIFICATION

A Huge Leap Forward Supports Resolutions Up to 10K and Dynamic HDR and Introduces New Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable

SAN JOSE, California – November 28, 2017 - HDMI Forum, Inc. today announced the release of Version 2.1 of the HDMI® Specification which is now available to all HDMI 2.0 adopters. This latest HDMI Specification supports a range of higher video resolutions and refresh rates including 8K60 and 4K120, and resolutions up to 10K. Dynamic HDR formats are also supported, and bandwidth capability is increased up to 48Gbps.

Supporting the 48Gbps bandwidth is the new Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable. The cable ensures high-bandwidth dependent features are delivered including uncompressed 8K video with HDR. It features exceptionally low EMI (electro-magnetic interference) which reduces interference with nearby wireless devices. The cable is backwards compatible and can be used with the existing installed base of HDMI devices.

Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification is backward compatible with earlier versions of the specification, and was developed by the HDMI Forum's Technical Working Group whose members represent some of the world's leading manufacturers of consumer electronics, personal computers, mobile devices, cables and components.

"The HDMI Forum's mission is to develop specifications meeting market needs, growing demands for higher performance, and to enable future product opportunities," said Robert Blanchard of Sony Electronics, president of the HDMI Forum.

HDMI Specification 2.1 Features Include:

• Higher video resolutions support a range of high resolutions and faster refresh rates including 8K60Hz and 4K120Hz for immersive viewing and smooth fast-action detail. Resolutions up to 10K are also supported for commercial AV, and industrial and specialty usages.
  • Dynamic HDR support ensures every moment of a video is displayed at its ideal values for depth, detail, brightness, contrast and wider color gamuts—on a scene-by-scene or even a frame-by-frame basis.
  • The Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable supports the 48G bandwidth for uncompressed HDMI 2.1 feature support. The cable also features very low EMI emission and is backwards compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI Specification and can be used with existing HDMI devices.
  • eARC simplifies connectivity, provides greater ease of use, and supports the most advanced audio formats and highest audio quality. It ensures full compatibility between audio devices and upcoming HDMI 2.1 products.
  • Enhanced refresh rate features ensure an added level of smooth and seamless motion and transitions for gaming, movies and video. They include:
    • Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) reduces or eliminates lag, stutter and frame tearing for more fluid and better detailed gameplay.
    • Quick Media Switching (QMS) for movies and video eliminates the delay that can result in blank screens before content is displayed.
    • Quick Frame Transport (QFT) reduces latency for smoother no-lag gaming, and real-time interactive virtual reality.
  • Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) allows the ideal latency setting to automatically be set allowing for smooth, lag-free and uninterrupted viewing and interactivity.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I want in on VR next gen so I'd love another sku that costs more than the Base model which imo should aim for best tech so around £450.

Jiro

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
15 teraflops and Ryzen would be so sweet... Last of Us 2 in native 4k... *drool*

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
First year(s) of next gen has the potential to be really good:
-Horizon 2
-FFVIIR or new FF project
-BG&E2
-Harry Potter rpg
-Nier 3
-Destiny 3
-Titanfall 3
-Cyberpunk 2077
-Jade Raymond new IP
-a new Ratchet or something else from Insomniac

Next gen will start out much better, publishers won't take a wait and see approach like before the start of this gen (rise of mobiles and the narrative that consoles were dying).

Last edited:

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Would it do as good as the PS4 at $399, though? This is what Sony will ask themselves when they consider the pricing of PS5. Also, I highly doubt it will release in 2019.

Intersect

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Same here, whatever their plan is we should get a glimpse of it through their quarterly financial report sometime next year or in 2019.
R&D costs should be in there somewhere which would signal what their intentions are.

HDMI 2.1 spec have been finalized and published, 2 more years in the oven for OLED/Micro-OLED to bake further is most welcome as well IMO.

https://www.hdmi.org/press/press_release.aspx?prid=152
The 2012 Sony article on the PS4 mentioned; future PlayStation technology – 8k, 300fps targeted which is only possible with HDMI 2.1 and a Sony VP of technology in 2012 stated that stacked memory is the only way to support that; 3D for 8K TVs which can be 2 4K 90-120 FPS views or 5 3D 1080P views on a glassless 3D 8K TV. The current UHD Blu-ray drive speed spec of 6X can support 4K 3D.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Would it do as good as the PS4 at $399, though? This is what Sony will ask themselves when they consider the pricing of PS5. Also, I highly doubt it will release in 2019.
The pricing of the PS5 is already pretty much guaranteed to be around $399-499. Microsoft launching both the launch Xbox One at $499 and the X at $499 will allow Sony to enter the next-gen at that price. In two years that would allow for substantially more powerful hardware in the box.

If they could somehow make the end price come down to $399 for $499 worth of components, then that would be great. And I do see that as a possibility since they're focusing more on GAAS, and revenue from software and services to sustain the ecosystem rather than pure hardware sales profits.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
The pricing of the PS5 is already pretty much guaranteed to be around $399-499. Microsoft launching both the launch Xbox One at $499 and the X at $499 will allow Sony to enter the next-gen at that price. In two years that would allow for substantially more powerful hardware in the box.
PS4 is selling significantly better than the Xbox One, don't you think it gives them more of a reason to not raise the price any more than $399 for the PS5?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Without immediate competition it might, and the additional power and features could give it legs in the long term. But $399 is still most likely.

Though I think 2019 is probable. I believe Cerny even said the Pro was coming "halfway though the PS4 life cycle", though that's hardly proof. Mainly I just don't think Sony will want MS being able to brag about having the world's most powerful console for more than 2 years.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Without immediate competition it might, and the additional power and features could give it legs in the long term. But $399 is still most likely.

Though I think 2019 is probable. I believe Cerny even said the Pro was coming "halfway though the PS4 life cycle", though that's hardly proof. Mainly I just don't think Sony will want MS being able to brag about having the world's most powerful console for more than 2 years.
I don't think they're going to want to botch a new generation console hardware just to prevent MS from having the 'most powerful console for more than 2 years'. But that's just me.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I don't think they're going to want to botch a new generation console hardware just to prevent MS from having the 'most powerful console for more than 2 years'. But that's just me.

That's assuming that releasing in 2019 or selling for $499 is 'botching'. It isn't, at least not necessarily. As long as the more expensive hardware was used properly (nothing like demanding people pay a premium for Kinect) and a solid lineup of launch games was produced, a $499 PS5 with PS4 Pro BC released Holiday 2019 with the next Xbox a year away would do great. Now, if any of those variables weren't true, then there might be real issues, but that doesn't make 2019 or $499 automatically bad.

The Ps5 is likely to have a 4k uhd player correct?

Oh, absolutely. They didn't bother with the Pro so they could save money, but the PS5 will actually need it for the larger games with textures built for 4K.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
That's assuming that releasing in 2019 or selling for $499 is 'botching'. It isn't, at least not necessarily. As long as the more expensive hardware was used properly (nothing like demanding people pay a premium for Kinect) and a solid lineup of launch games was produced, a $499 PS5 with PS4 Pro BC released Holiday 2019 with the next Xbox a year away would do great. Now, if any of those variables weren't true, then there might be real issues, but that doesn't make 2019 or $499 automatically bad.
Depends. If a major shift in GPU/CPU architecture is available for production immediately after 2019, it would be bad for them to release in 2019 no matter how much they price it. The shrewd decision would be to wait till 2020. Frankly, with the way PS4 is selling, I don't think Sony cares about Xbox One X that much to let it affect their plans or strategy.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Depends. If a major shift in GPU/CPU architecture is available for production immediately after 2019, it would be bad for them to release in 2019 no matter how much they price it. The shrewd decision would be to wait till 2020. Frankly, with the way PS4 is selling, I don't think Sony cares about Xbox One X that much to let it affect their plans or strategy.

Agreed, though is that the case according to current roadmaps? I was under the impression that things like the 7nm process and the new Zen CPUs were currently set for 2019.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Agreed, though is that the case according to current roadmaps? I was under the impression that things like the 7nm process and the new Zen CPUs were currently set for 2019.
It is, at least according to the leaked roadmap: http://www.pcgamer.com/leaked-amd-roadmap-points-to-zen-2-processors-in-2019/#comment-jump

But having it in APU form would take quite a bit of time. The roadmap says they'll be refreshing the Raven Ridge architecture in 2019, but it could be early 2019 or even late 2019. So it means the alleged 'Matisse' architecture will be due in APUs from 2020 and onwards.

Shin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is, at least according to the leaked roadmap: http://www.pcgamer.com/leaked-amd-roadmap-points-to-zen-2-processors-in-2019/#comment-jump

But having it in APU form would take quite a bit of time. The roadmap says they'll be refreshing the Raven Ridge architecture in 2019, but it could be early 2019 or even late 2019. So it means the alleged 'Matisse' architecture will be due in APUs from 2020 and onwards.
It's different, AMD's semi-custom business has different people working on it so they don't have to wait until the desktop/laptop parts are out.
In tandem from what I could make out of their statements, even if X and Z parts are planned later for the PC space it could be put into a semi-custom APU before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.