• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Wait is this a new AMD CPU and GPU?
From the article:

"The bigger question appears when we are trying to figure out what the GPU in this test really is. It could be an unreleased graphics in an external GPU enclosure, a Radeon running in CrossFire, or the Big Navi.

We simply don't know yet, but this is an interesting find for sure."

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I found Oberon A0 tested at userbenchmark.com. All results have being hidden.

Device: 1002 13F9 Model: 13F9:OBR A0

dmSirGW.png

terawatt

Oct 27, 2017
The only hardware feature I would expect to cause problems would be SMT. Given how abstracted CPUs actually are from the instructions they execute, I can't see different execution hardware being that much of a problem. Now, maybe the CPU would have to report a lower our different set of capabilities than what it actually has when queried, but I'm not sure it would actually have to turn much off for compatibility.

Clocks are a different story, though. I can see taking advantage of the locked and standardized clocks for timing and synchronization.

Great post, to put it simply x86 processors are all designed to be backwards compatible.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
No they aren't. They don't have resistive triggers that change tension becoming easier /harder to pull based on what is happening in the game
Yeah we'll see how that actually works in real world practice, I'd argue the rumble on individual triggers depending on which tires are on the road in forza is similar concept

But 3D audio they've been ahead for years now.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
From the article:

"The bigger question appears when we are trying to figure out what the GPU in this test really is. It could be an unreleased graphics in an external GPU enclosure, a Radeon running in CrossFire, or the Big Navi.

We simply don't know yet, but this is an interesting find for sure."

What I find interesting other than the GPU of course is the fact that AMD is testing a New APU variant with said new CPU it seems going by the article. Oh this is interesting.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
What I find interesting other than the GPU of course is the fact that AMD is testing a New APU variant with said new CPU it seems going by the article. Oh this is interesting.

Testing the APU as in teh graphics portion while using the dedicated cpu, which could be the new 4000H laptop varient or Ryzen 4000 desktop.

Why didn't they talk about this during their press conference

Not much to talk about. It;s literally just now going out to developers to code for. And it's super low end, 75w.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Testing the APU as in teh graphics portion while using the dedicated cpu, which could be the new 4000H laptop varient or Ryzen 4000 desktop.

Not much to talk about. It;s literally just now going out to developers to code for. And it's super low end, 75w.

Do we have any indication if these new AMD chips will be in the new consoles? If so I am kinda giddy because checking out benchmarks these compete with the i9-9880H and while they are mobile processors they are not bad at all.

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019
Does that indicate he thinks it will be cheaper? Also, if Lockhart is a thing, maybe he expects that to sell better than XSX by a margin.
It could be price but it could also be games, features, or any number of things. All this really indicates is that he thinks customers will perceive the total value of the PS5 to be greater than the series X.

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
Does that indicate he thinks it will be cheaper? Also, if Lockhart is a thing, maybe he expects that to sell better than XSX by a margin.
I don't think the prediction was backed up by inside info or anything, he just said it was because you can play Xbox exclusives on PC and not have to buy an XSX day one, unlike PS5 exclusives.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
"Sony will skip E3 once again, as will at least one major publisher that attended E3 in 2019."

Zenimax bought confirmed. /jk

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
April?

Wasnt the Wired article towards the end of last year?

They did two Wired articles:

www.wired.com

Exclusive: What to Expect From Sony's Next-Gen PlayStation

Don't expect it anytime in 2019, but the next PlayStation console is well on its way—and it's packing ray-tracing support and a loadtime-killing solid-state hard drive.
www.wired.com

Exclusive: A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5

Now that the name is official, we've got more details about Sony's next-gen console—from the haptics-packed controller to UI improvements.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Do we have any indication if these new AMD chips will be in the new consoles? If so I am kinda giddy because checking out benchmarks these compete with the i9-9880H and while they are mobile processors they are not bad at all.

Not sure. Could be Big Navi which may not be in PS5, die is suppose to be big, bigger than XBox series x chip. i think the test correlates with the unknown cpu, and that being probably the laptop 4800H. GPU could be big NAVI which looking at the resolution being for VR it probably is.

Rumors a while back suggested Big navi was gunning for 2080ti performance.

le-seb

Oct 31, 2017
A fair point. I'm no engineer so Im not sure how feasible it is, but that would be cool.
My (old ass) Logitech Transporter is using it to provide force feedback through its knob, so it's definitely feasible, technically speaking.

Don't know whether the DS5 will use such technology, but it's a possibility.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
"Sony will skip E3 once again, as will at least one major publisher that attended E3 in 2019."

I am starting to think that Sony very well may skip E3 because nothing has even been said yet, and honestly I think that it could be a really big mistake on their part. Of course they will get attention at whatever they choose to do in whatever venue/forum, but at some point crapping on something like E3 where many developers and publishers rely on this for huge hype each year is a dangerous game to play IMO. Let alone that just sucks for fans in general to not have a big E3 party. If they do this then Xbox will go bigger than ever at E3 this year to be sure.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Schreir's reasoning for the PS massively outselling the Xbox in the first month is flawed because

1. Consoles basically sell out whatever they make early on so the sales will be the same for the first few months at least
2. His reasoning that "everyone will just play Xbox games on PC" has no basis in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.