• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Sony are on record saying that some titles that make sense will be on other platforms. MLB is the most obvious example, but if for some reason Sony decided to buy Bungie I'm sure they'd still keep their games on PC at the very least.
Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Detroit Become Human, Journey, Flower, Death Stranding, etc. Seems like Sony is slowly but surely supporting the PC space.

Their pc support is abysmal and none of their big games supported on PC, death stranding is not 1st party and even that is releasing almost a year later on PC, goes to show you how committed they are.

Anyway Im not here to derail the thread, just want to be clear, Sony acquiring studios is bad news for pc players and not something to be happy about.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Bluepoint would be the logical choice but not sure I can super excited about a remake studio getting acquired.
Supermassive Games keeps popping up in potential lists and I just realized that Supermassive Games is not Supergiant Games and now I'm way less excited about that possibility...

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol but not neaarrrrrr to the degree Microsoft is
Nope, but it's expected. Sony has always kept their IP pretty close. Like I said, slowly but surely they've been releasing their IP on that platform through other publishers/developers.
Their pc support is abysmal and none of their big games supported on PC, death stranding is not 1st party and even that is releasing almost a year later on PC, goes to show you how committed they are.

Anyway Im not here to derail the thread, just want to be clear, Sony acquiring studios is bad news for pc players and not something to be happy about.
Death Stranding is 1st party and it is being released on PC through another publisher.

Besides, when Sony acquires a studio they usually don't have a history of releasing games on PC; however, lets just assume that Zenimax is the target... I suspect Sony will have them continue to support the PC platform. I wouldn't worry about it much.

•79•

Banned
Sep 22, 2018
South West London, UK
I'm not sure what his title entails but if you think that a stupendously large open world game like Assassins Creed or RDR doesn't need a genuine creative leader with detailed understanding of content, systems, physics, art production, engine integration, concept, polish, execution and test through perf to polish then maybe you're imagining a different job description - and further, outside of creative director - and maybe not even that, I can't think of a single lead role that would need to have a more comprehensive understanding of literally every object, character, sound effect, music track and user facing system in the game.

If you want to know how everything in a game plays, performs and functions, from cloth physics to hitscan behavior to audio volumes and triggers, then I can't quickly suggest a single staff member with a more appropriate remit. Content Director is to game as librarian is to library - with the slight nuance that unlike a librarian, the content director has read all the books and knows all the authors.

He can probably give you a bunch of book reports too. His title is plain English description of his job.

I don't know this individual or the matrix of stuff in that game, the scope of his specific role or who picked the title --but for a 100gb next Gen AAA game, there's nothing corporate about it. In fact it's extremely blunt and straightforward.
I'm really not having a go at the man or his job role but rather the usage of 'content' in the modern age. Like on YouTube where video makers are 'content creators' rather than filmmakers or essayists or tutorial makers or animators or indeed propagandists, specific terminology that better describes the work.

Usage of the word 'franchise' to describe a series of creative endeavours like games and films irks me similarly, but I'm going off topic here.

But as you work in the industry I'll defer to you on this.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What's the expected new buzzword that'll be thrown around in the reveals? Content/experience has run its course. what else is there in the thesaurus?

For tech, ray tracing maybe. Machine learning has potential but has its time in the spotlight already passed?

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
What's the expected new buzzword that'll be thrown around in the reveals? Content/experience has run its course. what else is there in the thesaurus?

For tech, ray tracing maybe. Machine learning has potential but has its time in the spotlight already passed?

You forgot content creators as an overused buzzword.

I feel like all the buzzwords relating to gaming have used and we will see more repeats.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Is DLSS something that a developer needs to implement or does it need to be suported bij GPU/Console?

Either, in that a dev could do it themselves with their own trained neural network(s) on commodity hardware, if they want to put aside the frametime budget for it. However if a hardware or platform vendor provided the neural network, a library for it, or even accelerator hardware, it would probably make implementation and runtime performance easier. Performance requirements I'm hazy on, maybe you'd want some kind of helper hardware to make it generally feasible, at least for a naive implementation.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Here's an excellent video from Guerrilla Games about how they used the GPU to dynamically place all the objects in the world of Horizon Zero Dawn.

www.youtube.com

GPU-Based Run-Time Procedural Placement in Horizon: Zero Dawn

In this 2017 GDC session, Guerrilla Games' Jaap van Muijden describes the GPU-based procedural placement system that dynamically creates the world of Horizon...

This allowed them to have much more freedom with designing the big chunks of the world (ie mountains, streams etc) as they didn't need to run some form of baking process to add the trees/rock/other 'dressing' elements - much faster iteration for the designers.

What is interesting to me is that this is what shipped - the GPU places the objects in the world as the player moves around - instead of having a static world that is defined ahead of time - obviously there's some serious programming chops going on to get it to fit into the frametimes they were after.

OT10 Thread TItle Suggestions
OP
OP
Mecha Meister

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Hey everyone! I hope you've all been doing well!

OT10 closely approaches, a new thread will be created after this thread hits 20K posts!

If you have any suggestions for a new thread title until then, please don't hesitate to post it! They'll be entered into a poll where you'll be able to vote for your favourite title!

If you do make a suggestion, please write "OT10" clearly in the post like this, this is to makes it easier for me to search the thread!

Thread title format: Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT10| -

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Is DLSS something that a developer needs to implement or does it need to be suported bij GPU/Console?
Either, in that a dev could do it themselves with their own trained neural network(s) on commodity hardware, if they want to put aside the frametime budget for it. However if a hardware or platform vendor provided the neural network, a library for it, or even accelerator hardware, it would probably make implementation and runtime performance easier. Performance requirements I'm hazy on, maybe you'd want some kind of helper hardware to make it generally feasible, at least for a naive implementation.
AFAIK, For DLSS NVIDIA trains the networks for the developers. We don't know how much GPU budget it will take considering that on the RTX series it runs using the Tensor cores which are completely free because currently DLSS is the only job they have. It's a big question mark, training neural networks will probably require third party help (like gofreak had suggested, maybe a platform holder or a third-party service) and we don't know what kind of load it creates on the GPU.

IMO the best use for neural networks in the coming next-gen will be animation.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Nope, but it's expected. Sony has always kept their IP pretty close. Like I said, slowly but surely they've been releasing their IP on that platform through other publishers/developers.

Death Stranding is 1st party and it is being released on PC through another publisher.

Besides, when Sony acquires a studio they usually don't have a history of releasing games on PC; however, lets just assume that Zenimax is the target... I suspect Sony will have them continue to support the PC platform. I wouldn't worry about it much.
Death Stranding isn't first party, what are you talking about?

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I'm tired of speculation and theories. So so tired. Please Sony and Microsoft dad. Please give me more information.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Sony are on record saying that some titles that make sense will be on other platforms. MLB is the most obvious example, but if for some reason Sony decided to buy Bungie I'm sure they'd still keep their games on PC at the very least.

There is no way in hell Sony chose to make MLB multi-platform. MLB themselves insisted on it or Sony would have lost the license.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Hey everyone! I hope you've all been doing well!

OT10 closely approaches, a new thread will be created after this thread hits 20K posts!

If you have any suggestions for a new thread title until then, please don't hesitate to post it! They'll be entered into a poll where you'll be able to vote for your favourite title!

If you do make a suggestion, please write "OT10" clearly in the post like this, this is to makes it easier for me to search the thread!

Thread title format: Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT10| -
|OT10| - LMAI

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure why these distinctions really matter?
It doesn't. Death Stranding is just an example of Sony using their IP to support the PC space which was the original conversation. It was in reference to the rumors of Sony acquiring a studio that currently supports PC and then suddenly stop.

I guess it could be argued if its 1st party or whatever.

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
There is no way in hell Sony chose to make MLB multi-platform. MLB themselves insisted on it or Sony would have lost the license.

I don't think that's how business works..... This has been refuted over and over again. A trial business entities do no operate like forum members. They consider the long term implications.

1.) Sony MLB contract was never exclusive. They were simply the best at it and no other dev could hang.

2.) Layden long ago I donated they were looking at diversity and GAAS.

3.) The Show has some of the highest ROI on microtransactions.

4.) Now why would MLB strong Sony their only revenue source for a baseball game? I know the the perception of some type of or else situation fits the forum narrative but that's that the case .

5.) The press release states multi-year. What more likely happened was a negotiation to take it multi- plat with a reduction in overall licensing fees at the offset of increased revenue for all. A win-win.

6.) Who really knows....

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
InFamous SS gets a pretty unwarranted bad rep. It's a pretty good game, if a bit uneven. And I say that as someone that loved the previous two games.
I really enjoyed it and I think I played the full game quite late on in the gen, I'd already played the separate DLC thing. It's a nice old school game in the sense that it's quite linear in terms of story and there's only ever a handful of things you can go off and do. It feels manageable and actually fun. The traversal, especially neon is just insanely cool and fun to use, even after several hours. You can actually complete in a sensible human timescale. I approach modern huge open world games now and feel overwhelmed and soon give up (hello RDR2). I would love to see an Infamous Third Son (lol).

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
It doesn't. Death Stranding is just an example of Sony using their IP to support the PC space which was the original conversation. It was in reference to the rumors of Sony acquiring a studio that currently supports PC and then suddenly stop.

I guess it could be argued if its 1st party or whatever.
If it's Sony supporting the PC space with Death Stranding and not Kojima's doing, why aren't Sony publishing it themselves?

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If it's Sony supporting the PC space with Death Stranding and not Kojima's doing, why aren't Sony publishing it themselves?
Who knows? Sony hasn't published any PC games using their IP recently. I guess they don't have a publishing arm for that or don't do it for reasons unknown.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony published Helldivers and that game on EPIC games store
You're right. Looks to be published under PlayStation Mobile, Inc. on Steam; however, Sony shuttered that operation in 2015, but according to Steam there are other games published under PlayStation Mobile after that year.
Again what I said is correct, none of those games are from Sony's firts party studios. And of those games, 2 developers of the 3 no longer make exclusive games for Sony.
True; however, in context Sony is allowing their IP to make it to PC which to me indicates a form of support in that space.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Sony won't release any if their big exclusive first party titles on PC and no death stranding doesn't count its not a studio owned by Sony, probably Kojima forced them to.

Hence them acquiring new studios is awful news, why are people happy about this? Just beyond me

Im actually more interested in microsoft first party studios than sony at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.