• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
You aren't getting GT7 until 2022 at the very earliest, you'll get a single player expansion for GT:S and 4K 60fps more VR etc and a next gen "complete edition" for 29.99. It's a GaaS that's performing well (Sony's only one?), is well respected for its mechanics and is basically next gen future proofed in terms of its assets. Sony would be mad to cast it aside to push out a new one when cars and stuff are still being added.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big Xbox fan, but they did cancel the Black Tusk studio IP so they could make more Gears. I wouldn't put it above them to prioritize existing Zenimax IP over new and original IP.
It has been said countless times before, but MS didn't cancel Shangheist (Black Tusks new IP.) They were offered Gears or to continue working on their own IP, the studio leadership chose Gears and then Rod came on. They have stated this so many times during 4's interviews.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
It has been said countless times before, but MS didn't cancel Shangheist (Black Tusks new IP.) They were offered Gears or to continue working on their own IP, the studio leadership chose Gears and then Rod came on. They have stated this so many times during 4's interviews.
Okay cool but a new IP still got cancelled. Here an existing IP took priority. No matter who chose it.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Verona SDK (Prototype 2): All Sony internal studios have these kits.
Prospero SDK (Prototype 1): All major 3rd party studios have these kits.
PS5 SDK (Final): June-July timeframe for all studios.

Verona and Prospero SDKs are similar in design, but spec'd differently for auditing and security reasons. The hardware in Verona are much closer to the finalized SDK and consumer PS5 system.

Sony Interactive Entertainment and Sony Pictures Entertainment division are working closely together after last year's acquisition of Nurulize. Deeper investments into merging both films and video games across both divisions. Bringing a higher production value and film related tech to next generation PlayStation games.

Anyone heard of Verona?

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Sony needs to pull a move like "PS5 is not only PS4 back compat, but you can also play your PS3, PS2, and PS1 games" that is a mic drop moment.

h78E928C7

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I would be very shocked if Lockhart is not within launch window at the very least.

Agreed, maybe a few weeks difference just to benefit from two launch "events" but no more than that.

But you end up with Todd Howard.

Lol true. Not sure it's worth it.

No one is buying Zenimax.

I certainly hope not anyway. If Microsoft buys Zenimax they'll just pump out infinite sequels. These acquisitions so far has me excited because of the potential for new IP. Zenimax has so much popular IP that we'd probably barely ever get anything original if they get bought by Microsoft.

I doubt it. Wasn't it just last month everyone was raging because they "forced" Obsidian, Ninja Theory, and Rare to make new IPs instead of sequels in existing series?

It could also be seen as a pre-emptive move to secure content before someone else swoops in and gobbles them up. Between Facebook, Amazon, Google, Comcast, Walmart and whoever else there are a ton of huge names with deep wallets out there who are looking at game streaming. If MS or Sony felt there was a strong possibility of a publisher being snatched up by a newcomer trying to make a splash and acquire content for their platform in one fell swoop then they could view it as a safeguard to ensure that publishers content will still be on their platform.

Agreed. At this point Google is far from my last choice to acquire studios and that's just sad. Would hate to see good teams get locked up by Amazon, Facebook, etc.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it. Wasn't it just last month everyone was raging because they "forced" Obsidian, Ninja Theory, and Rare to make new IPs instead of sequels in existing series?

Truth is it won't be the same so you really can't compare them .
I mean MS not forcing devs to make old IP but then those old IP don't sell like some Zenimax titles.
You can bet if Sony or MS buy them you going to get fallout and ES games one way or the other .

Brentos

Oct 28, 2017
Zenimax to Microsoft would be interesting - having all those studios' past and future work available on Gamepass would be pretty incredible value. Imagine being able to pay $5 to play the new Elders Scrolls game for a month or two and then un-subbing....

In actuality, Bethesda seem much better suited in an ecosystem where they're able to sell 15-30 million copies of ES VI, Fallout 5 and Starfield at $40-$60, (i.e. on all platforms). On the surface of it, the Gamepass subscription model just doesn't seem conducive in supporting studios that spend 5-7 years developing games, a la Bethesda.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
You aren't getting GT7 until 2022 at the very earliest.... It's a GaaS that's performing well (Sony's only one?), is well respected for its mechanics and is basically next gen future proofed in terms of its assets. Sony would be mad to cast it aside to push out a new one when cars and stuff are still being added.
But a nextgen-only GT7 doesn't mean the death of GTS. People that don't purchase PS5 near launch and want a racing game will still have Sport to buy. And the service content that's still being added basically isn't monetized, so expanding that aspect to a new platform isn't a revenue win. (Indeed, releasing a separate game on PS5 might create a better opportunity to change to a more microtransaction-laden design.)

GT7 might be a long time coming, but if so it won't be because it'll meaningfully cannibalize Sport.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Truth is it won't be the same so you really can't compare them .
I mean MS not forcing devs to make old IP but then those old IP don't sell like some Zenimax titles.
You can bet if Sony or MS buy them you going to get fallout and ES games one way or the other .

Either they force teams to pump out sequels or they dont. 4 of their last 5 first party game announcements have been new IP, so... seems like there's a clear answer here.

And anyway what's the contention? They'd force Bethesda to make Elder Scrolls, unlike today when Bethesda is making Elder Scrolls? There's nothing that makes sense about this line of hypothetical criticism.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Either they force teams to pump out sequels or they dont. 4 of their last 5 first party game announcements have been new IP, so... seems like there's a clear answer here.

And anyway what's the contention? They'd force Bethesda to make Elder Scrolls, unlike today when Bethesda is making Elder Scrolls? There's nothing that makes sense about this line of hypothetical criticism.

TheUnseenTheUnheard was saying they be force to pump out sequels if MS buy them but you were saying that might not be the case unless i mistaken.
My point was that who ever buy would also force them to make sequels be it MS or Sony .
You not going to spend billions of dollars on high selling IP and then say you can make new ones if you feel like it.
If you think sales don't play a part in this well i don't know what to say .

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tbh that fake leak pointing gran turismo 1 with 120fps 4k with textures and rt, was something i didnt knew i wanted until now

Feb 10, 2018
If it is the initiative, it will be 2022 at the earliest, unless they have Somone else working with them.
The coalition will be working on gears 6, considering what gears 5 was like.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I'm a big Xbox fan, but they did cancel the Black Tusk studio IP so they could make more Gears. I wouldn't put it above them to prioritize existing Zenimax IP over new and original IP.
Microsoft did not cancel the game. Black Tusk was asked whether they wanted to continue with the IP they were doing or whether they would want to make Gears of War. They chose the latter. The choice was given to the developer, and Microsoft lived with their decision.

Feb 10, 2018
It would be interesting to see what they would do with a new perfect dark.
The OG perfect dark was like a twitchy fps with some gadget elements, what like it the most today? Call of duty?
I wonder how it be on current/next gen? Would they keep the arcade gameplay with some additional gadgets and objectives or expand and make the levels bigger and more free roaming.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
I don't think there will be a Lockhart. I mean why MS would sell a console which will be the same performance than the One X while MS said that their games will be release on Series X and old gen...

DJ12

Jan 12, 2020
Derby
The GT7 stuff is bogus. Polyphony has 170 employees based on stats from their official website, less than Guerilla and significantly less than Naughty Dog. Polyphony barely outsources while Guerilla and ND heavily relies on outsourcing assets, there's no way GT7 has the most employees working on it out of any Sony game ever made. GT7 being worked on since 2014 also doesn't make sense considering they were struggling to release GTSport on time in 2016, ended up with a delay and still released it in a bare bones state in terms of car and track count.
Imagine believing GT:S and GT7 are separate games....

Status
Not open for further replies.