Status
Not open for further replies.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Maybe maybe not, checkerboard is better at higher framerates, though I think that might also apply to temporal injection? All I know is, there's been a couple of reconstructed games that fooled even Digital Foundry into thinking they were native, and both used checkerboard rendering at 60fps.
Yes, that's true, All temporal algorithms are better at higher frame-rates. Temporal algorithms assume that the previous frame is pretty similar to the current frame so they can use the previous frame data in order to enrich the new frame with new pixel information. The higher the frame-rate, the smaller the interval between frames, which means smaller differences between consecutive frames, resulting in fewer artifacts and higher image quality.

That's why I assume developers will rather do reconstructed 4K at 60FPS over native 4K at 30FPS, especially with that new CPU.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
|OT10| Held back by OT9
Underrated suggestion.

What about.... RAY BLOODY PURCHASE??!!!
Well well well...
We should start OT 10 now but keep OT9 open until it's full as a cross gen thread
It's only lead to arguments about when OT9 should officially end, what qualifies as a true OT10 post, and questions raised about when people initially began wirting their posts.
Here's an excellent video from Guerrilla Games about how they used the GPU to dynamically place all the objects in the world of Horizon Zero Dawn.

www.youtube.com

GPU-Based Run-Time Procedural Placement in Horizon: Zero Dawn

In this 2017 GDC session, Guerrilla Games' Jaap van Muijden describes the GPU-based procedural placement system that dynamically creates the world of Horizon...

This allowed them to have much more freedom with designing the big chunks of the world (ie mountains, streams etc) as they didn't need to run some form of baking process to add the trees/rock/other 'dressing' elements - much faster iteration for the designers.

What is interesting to me is that this is what shipped - the GPU places the objects in the world as the player moves around - instead of having a static world that is defined ahead of time - obviously there's some serious programming chops going on to get it to fit into the frametimes they were after.
I watched this yesterday. It's truly impressive how it allowed them ot quickly iterate in order to produce the game world, with all that in place and further engine advances over time (incuding those made to help present DS) it should mean the total dev time for a sequel could be shorter rather than longer than we might expect.

The big thing I took away from it was just how easy it is to drastically and dynamically alter the game world with just a tiny bit of number tweaking. The possibilities here for alternate realities/dimensions/etc. in other games, leveraging SSD to stream in assets in the moment rather than some forced transition, are pretty incredible.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Because their games would have made it to PS5 if they remained independent or under 3rd party publisher.

The only reason someone is happy about Sony/microsoft purchasing studios is because they are fanboys who thinks their "side" became stronger.

let me put it in simpler terms: Exclusives are cancer

Imagine if Sony purchased Fromsoftware after demon souls? Yikes

Double Fine was having financial troubles for a while so them getting bought and them being able to keep making what they want was a plus. Same goes for Ninja Theory, they made a budget game because they couldn't divert all the funds to make such a game while they were making Bleeding Edge.

Insomniac has been independent for the longest time, their most successful IP was with Sony. And it was second to Ratchet and Clank on PS4. It made sense for them to keep making the games they want to have a big publisher who can support them for anything they make including VR.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I doubt checkerboarding will be a thing next-gen, there are better image reconstruction technics today. I mean, unless people are using the term checkerboarding as a proprietary eponym for image reconstruction.
This, unfortunately, is a bad habit of mine, I call all reconstruction checkerboarding lol.

But yeah, I believe image reconstruction is ultimately the way to go with next-gen.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Double Fine was having financial troubles for a while so them getting bought and them being able to keep making what they want was a plus. Same goes for Ninja Theory, they made a budget game because they couldn't divert all the funds to make such a game while they were making Bleeding Edge.

Insomniac has been independent for the longest time, their most successful IP was with Sony. And it was second to Ratchet and Clank on PS4. It made sense for them to keep making the games they want to have a big publisher who can support them for anything they make including VR.

Agree with this. It would be great if studios remain independent and release games for a number of platforms, but if the studio is struggling financially, surly it's better for them to be purchased by Sony, MS etc rather than collapsing and causing the complete loss of a studio.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
We have some ReRam fans here,right? ;)

I'm always a fan of new and better stuff but like most new things just coming out of R&D/ the 'Tomorrows World' phase, you can add at least 2-3 years before it is in reasonably priced consumer products like a console (if it makes sense at all).

I must admit though that the complete silence/secrecy about the PS5 RAM setup has me intrigued. So when it turns out to be 'regular' GDDR6 I'll be a little disappointed.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
I was under the impression it was general knowledge it was MLBs call, not Sony. Surprised there's any doubt on this forum.

Like FIFA, the license holder has FAR MORE power than a studio or platform holder. If MLB want it multi-platform, they get it.

EA would have been sniffing around the license and Sony would have basically just done what they were told with this one.

This is off topic but EA was free to sniff around the license all they wanted for years and did nothing with it. What leverage does MLB have on sony when it was never a exclusive license?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This, unfortunately, is a bad habit of mine, I call all reconstruction checkerboarding lol.

But yeah, I believe image reconstruction is ultimately the way to go with next-gen.
Yeah I think TI is way better than CB, as used in Spider-Man, Ratchet and SotC Remake.

Personally I think it just needs to be up to the developer to decide. I love native 4k so much (as a 2080Ti owner) but as far as consoles are concerned it makes sense to use reconstruction where necessary, especially as we move through the generation and developers become more ambitious.

L33

Dec 20, 2019
I'm always a fan of new and better stuff but like most new things just coming out of R&D/ the 'Tomorrows World' phase, you can add at least 2-3 years before it is in reasonably priced consumer products like a console (if it makes sense at all).

I must admit though that the complete silence/secrecy about the PS5 RAM setup has me intrigued. So when it turns out to be 'regular' GDDR6 I'll be a little disappointed.
The strange thing is if it was GDDR6 and nothing to shout from the rooftops about then why haven't Sony come out and said it? Microsoft have and it's kind of expected that GDDR6 would be the natural progression for next gen consoles anyway, which keeps me hoping that it will be something like HBM, given that Sony have placed and emphasis on load speed etc maybe this is their secret sauce?

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
This is off topic but EA was free to sniff around the license all they wanted for years and did nothing with it. What leverage does MLB have on sony when it was never a exclusive license?
2k was the one who had the exclusive 3rd party license, but that ended more than 6-7 years ago. If MVP baseball was coming back, it would have happened a long time ago.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
The strange thing is if it was GDDR6 and nothing to shout from the rooftops about then why haven't Sony come out and said it? Microsoft have and it's kind of expected that GDDR6 would be the natural progression for next gen consoles anyway, which keeps me hoping that it will be something like HBM, given that Sony have placed and emphasis on load speed etc maybe this is their secret sauce?

It isn't that Sony haven't mentioned it that surprises me. It is that no insider has dared touch on it that gives me pause...

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Yes, that's true, All temporal algorithms are better at higher frame-rates. Temporal algorithms assume that the previous frame is pretty similar to the current frame so they can use the previous frame data in order to enrich the new frame with new pixel information. The higher the frame-rate, the smaller the interval between frames, which means smaller differences between consecutive frames, resulting in fewer artifacts and higher image quality.

That's why I assume developers will rather do reconstructed 4K at 60FPS over native 4K at 30FPS, especially with that new CPU.

That is my absolute dream, for all games to aim for reconstructed 4K60 from the off, and for enhanced BC games to get reconstructed 4K120 (or an unlocked framerate that goes up to 120fps, with the option of a 60fps cap). Unfortunately, I'm not even remotely sure if it will happen, or if we'll get native 4K30 instead.

Hell, maybe we'll get reconstructed 4K30 + MEGA GRAPHICS (and more artifacts). Completely avoid any resolution/framerate increase from the Pro and put it all into moar bigger visuals.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
2k was the one who had the exclusive 3rd party license, but that ended more than 6-7 years ago. If MVP baseball was coming back, it would have happened a long time ago.
Exactly. It's odd seeing people act like MLB was willing to pull the license from a well recieved sports game and risk having no MLB game on the market. Whatever the deal was, it made sense for Sony, so it moved forward.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The specs I'm most interested in learning more about:
  • PS5 SSD technology - the fact that Klee's dev friend became nervous when the topic was mentioned suggests it's really quite special and you could tell Todd Howard was excited by something SSD related
  • PS5 ram - history suggests something a little out of the ordinary as Sony have a habit of using different ram setups (rambus etc) so I'm all aboard the HBM train but I would guess it would be 1 pool rather than split ram as has been suggested
Apart from that I'm interested to see how the services are evolved and what additional stuff is added (and of course the games)

GoldenDuck

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 8, 2020
It's like Microsoft is waiting for Sony and Sony is waiting for Microsoft.

If there's going to be a big reveal, they also need to know themselves they can hit that date with trailers, announcements and of course the tech specs.

If we get to the end of the month without a PSM, then it won't happen in February, at least early Feb.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

PS6 speculation next gen OT will be fun with arguing "will it have HBM3 or ReRAM?!?" ;)

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
There is another use for SSD we can imagine play multiples character in different cities in the next GTA for example some in vice city and other in San Andreas.
I'm just hoping for smaller day 1 patches since everybody has 100GB discs and no need to replicate data at the non-volatile level.
It isn't that Sony haven't mentioned it that surprises me. It is that no insider has dared touch on it that gives me pause...
It's largely immaterial to the consumer. They've focused on features that are new and exciting. The memory is merely an enabler.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
That is my absolute dream, for all games to aim for reconstructed 4K60 from the off, and for enhanced BC games to get reconstructed 4K120 (or an unlocked framerate that goes up to 120fps, with the option of a 60fps cap). Unfortunately, I'm not even remotely sure if it will happen, or if we'll get native 4K30 instead.

Hell, maybe we'll get reconstructed 4K30 + MEGA GRAPHICS (and more artifacts). Completely avoid any resolution/framerate increase from the Pro and put it all into moar bigger visuals.

you'll always have 30fps so let's hope for both - 4K/30 reconstruction for graphics mode; 4K/60 reconstruction unlocked with VRR support for performance mode

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel

I'm actually pretty confident that we will see a lot of reconstructed 4K @60 fps this coming generation. 60fps makes reconstruction look nicer and the new CPU just begs developers for that higher frame-rates. And that's before we factor in the advantages of 60fps for gameplay, lag and response time.

Last edited:

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I'm just hoping for smaller day 1 patches since everybody has 100GB discs and no need to replicate data at the non-volatile level.
With games getting close to 100GB on current game assets, even after saving 20% of the install size because of no data duplication, I think we are going to see day-one patches getting even bigger. I mean, how much can you really cram into a 93GB BR disc when you have huge textures, 10 times more detailed models and asset diversity that comes with the new SSD streaming abilities?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
|OT10| No news make Era go crazy

Your implication that we were not already crazy is amusing.

PS6 speculation next gen OT will be fun with arguing "will it have HBM3 or ReRAM?!?" ;)

Won't we be well past HBM3 by then? We could be on HBM5 or something.

I'm actually pretty confident that we will see a lot of reconstructed 4K 60fps this coming generation. 60fps makes reconstruction look nicer and the new CPU just begs developers for that higher frame-rates. And that's before we factor in the advantages of 60fps for gameplay, lag and response time.

That is all very logical and I agree that it would be best. But then I think about how hard the visuals could be pushed at reconstructed 4K30 and how the reconstruction artifacts could be well-hidden in bullshots and compressed youtube videos. They may very well decide that that would be the most easily-marketed form the game could take. Fingers crossed I'm being a worrywart.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
That is all very logical and I agree that it would be best. But then I think about how hard the visuals could be pushed at reconstructed 4K30 and how the reconstruction artifacts could be well-hidden in bullshots and compressed youtube videos. They may very well decide that that would be the most easily-marketed form the game could take. Fingers crossed I'm being a worrywart.
I'm sure we will see anything and everything. This gen we got 720p, 900p and 1080p games, we got reconstructed 720p to 1080p games, we've got checkerboarding to 4K, we got 1440p, native 4K, half 4K reconstructed to 4K, half 1800p reconstructed to 1800p, etc. So yeah, to all of your option I say "yes", all of them will appear in games next generation :)

Oh, and I've just noticed that there is a user called 60fps, that guy must be getting tagged by accident all the time :D

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
As it stands I have a decent enough PC. Not a chance in hell I buy an SeX/SeS when I can play all its games day and date on my PC. I will buy a PS5, because for a majority of its exclusives that's the only way I can play them. That's also why I have a switch.

I have a hexacore CPU with a 1080ti in my gaming rig. I'd classify that as "decent enough". Bringing my gaming PC up to the rumored next-gen console spec though, even discounting console optimizations and assuming a higher-end retail cost of $599, would cost a hell of a lot more and would probably deliver a worse experience. If having an XBSX let's me skip a PC upgrade cycle and upgrade down the road either cheaper or with even more performance, it seems worth it.

I'll probably get both, eventually. I won't make the decision on which console when until more information is out there. I will say that I really have no driving need to play every game at its launch, so I probably won't buy a console at launch time just to play a couple of exclusives. Price/performance and platform features will be equally important selling points for me.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Multiplayer launch shortcuts in the launcher!

giphy.gif

Ok, your post made me go back and read the summary by gofreak. That patent sounds very nice.
We have some ReRam fans here,right? ;)

Nooooo! And you trying to to bring back HBM???

You just wanna see the world burn.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

Still confident about HBM!?

^ DS has reported for duty ;)

It's possible that the memory setup isn't known by many outside of the main architect team. Much like how the 8GB upgrade last time around was hidden until the last minute.

It makes little sense to me to omit stating in dev docs what type of RAM the system uses. Especially if it turns out to be GDDR6.

It's largely immaterial to the consumer. They've focused on features that are new and exciting. The memory is merely an enabler.

I don't doubt from Sony's point of view this is true. Like I say insiders have quite freely talked about TF's/power and RAM amount range along with other stuff but none have mentioned RAM type for PS5 even though over the last few next-gen threads it keeps being asked about. Maybe they just never thought to ask/find out about such a mundane thing?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
And you guys are onto the same thing I am. Its expected, almost a requirement that next-gen consoles use GDDR6. Sony doesn't have to give an amount, but I see nothing wrong or special about them just coming out and saying "we use GDDR6".

The silence is deafenng in this case.

It's possible that the memory setup isn't known by many outside of the main architect team. Much like how the 8GB upgrade last time around was hidden until the last minute.
But everyone at least knew that there was going to b GDDR5 last time around. The amount is what is not known. This time around, everyone pretty much expects at least GDDR6. MS has even announced that they are using it. What "type" of RAM you are using isn't something that would be hidden but instead, you choose to talk about a custom SSD type o PU and type of GPU.

The only reason I can see them being so tight-lipped about the RAM "type", is because it's not GDDR6. If it were, then its just kinda silly that alongside other more notable announcements they have already made, eg CPU, GPU types, custom SSD and RT hardware support... they would hold back something as mundane as "using GDDR6 RAM".

This is one of those times (like with the TF number) that their unwillingness to share that information makes it more important than whatever they have shared. Albeit that could be for good or bad reasons, but more important none the less.

Status
Not open for further replies.