Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
If you have any suggestions for a new thread title until then, please don't hesitate to post it! They'll be entered into a poll where you'll be able to vote for your favourite title!

seen a few people suggest OT titles already so I'm gonna quote B&B again because I think it should be the next one.
We aim to transition those in OT8 to OT9 at a pace never seen before. :)

With the speed we go through these things at I think it's definitely apt

| OT10 | We aim to transition those from OT9 at a pace never seen before.
or my own suggestion:
| OT10 | You're gonna need a read speed faster than an SSD to keep up

Last edited:

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Who knows? Sony hasn't published any PC games using their IP recently. I guess they don't have a publishing arm for that or don't do it for reasons unknown.
Then it doesn't really show much support if they're not willing to do it themselves and go the extra mile, does it?

To be clear, I don't want to be rude or go in circles here. I just don't find the notion that "Sony does support PC gaming, actually" really justified when the majority of ports are happening at the end of the deals they had with the 3rd party studios who made the games for SIE. It's awesome that Sony allows these games to be on PC even though they funded them but it looks more like Sony wanting to remain in good standing with those studios. Things might change in the future and we all know that change like this doesn't happen overnight (just look at how long it took Phil to overhaul the Xbox division), but as of right now I don't really see it. I do hope you're right, though.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think that's how business works..... This has been refuted over and over again. A trial business entities do no operate like forum members. They consider the long term implications.

1.) Sony MLB contract was never exclusive. They were simply the best at it and no other dev could hang.

2.) Layden long ago I donated they were looking at diversity and GAAS.

3.) The Show has some of the highest ROI on microtransactions.

4.) Now why would MLB strong Sony their only revenue source for a baseball game? I know the the perception of some type of or else situation fits the forum narrative but that's that the case .

5.) The press release states multi-year. What more likely happened was a negotiation to take it multi- plat with a reduction in overall licensing fees at the offset of increased revenue for all. A win-win.

6.) Who really knows....

I was under the impression it was general knowledge it was MLBs call, not Sony. Surprised there's any doubt on this forum.

Like FIFA, the license holder has FAR MORE power than a studio or platform holder. If MLB want it multi-platform, they get it.

EA would have been sniffing around the license and Sony would have basically just done what they were told with this one.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Sony Patent-y things.

A patent that may be related to work on '3D Audio'.

METHOD FOR ACOUSTICALLY RENDERING THE SIZE OF SOUND A SOURCE

The opening summary has a good, well, summary of surround sound vs what might be called '3D Audio', and the weaknesses in surround sound that these techniques try to address. People seem to ask sometimes what the difference is, so that summary might be a reasonable primer on it.

More specifically this patent seems to be two techniques for making a sound seem to come from a specific location when it reaches your ear - point sound source simulation and a spherical harmonics representation ('ambisonics'). The latter being 'better' but having much higher computational cost, and a narrower range in which its effective. The application describes a system that swaps between the two representations depending on the distance between the user and the sound source and/or the size of the sound source. Ambisonics is apparently a lot better for representing large sound sources.

This patent may relate to what Mark Cerny described as part of the new PS5 UI:

GAME APPLICATION LAUNCH SYSTEM AND METHOD

The present invention relates to a system and method of launching a game application.

In recent times, applications such as videogames gave grown increasingly large in order to provide richer and more complex content. However, as a consequence it can now take a long time to load a game, and the user can experience frustration in the time between deciding to play the game, and actually beginning to play.

It basically talks about a metadata system for describing different modes in a game, some of which are standardised and have a common data layout between different games that the OS handles, and some of which may be proprietary to one game and handled by the game engine. The shortcuts bypass the game menu to simply drop the user into the game as configured by the metadata. Or, if a menu is absolutely necessary for a particular mode, it seems there's a possibility of a lightweight menu being interactable immediately through the shortcut, rather than having to wait for an in-engine menu. Basically the user can 'explore' the game through these shortcuts before actually committing to launching the game, and then once they do, the the game can be launched knowing what the user wants to do and bypassing the games own menu and config screens. It also talks about the possibility of preloading certain components of a game when the user starts interacting with these OS-level shortcuts, to expedite loading once the user actually launches the game.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Sony won't release any if their big exclusive first party titles on PC and no death stranding doesn't count its not a studio owned by Sony, probably Kojima forced them to.

Hence them acquiring new studios is awful news, why are people happy about this? Just beyond me

Im actually more interested in microsoft first party studios than sony at this point.

People that are happy own a PS4 and plan to own a PS5, so why wouldn't they be?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
May not be PS5 related, but seems Sony has also been looking into techniques for post-processing keyboard&mouse input for use on a games console, mapping that input to dedicated controller input signals.

A game dedicated machine, which is premised on user's operation of a dedicated controller, receives the operation signal of the dedicated controller, and provides the operation signal to the game.

Meanwhile, user's game playing on a general-purpose personal computer (PC) with a mouse or a keyboard utilized as an input device has become popular. Owing to this, the number of users who prefer the mouse or the keyboard over the dedicated controller in playing games is increasing. Therefore, demand rises for user to be able to utilize the mouse or the keyboard as the input device even with an information processing apparatus such as the game dedicated machine.

An object of the present invention is, therefore, to provide an information processing apparatus that provides an operation signal of a controller to a game and a technique that enables a user to utilize an input device such as a mouse with the information processing apparatus.

Talks about dead-zone adjustment and stuff like that. It would be interesting if a console offered universal kb&mouse support through an official mapper, and not just for devs to use per-game if they wish.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're right. Looks to be published under PlayStation Mobile, Inc. on Steam; however, Sony shuttered that operation in 2015, but according to Steam there are other games published under PlayStation Mobile after that year.

True; however, in context Sony is allowing their IP to make it to PC which to me indicates a form of support in that space.
They published Ready Set Heroes on PC

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Then it doesn't really show much support if they're not willing to do it themselves and go the extra mile, does it?

To be clear, I don't want to be rude or go in circles here. I just don't find the notion that "Sony does support PC gaming, actually" really justified when the majority of ports are happening at the end of the deals they had with the 3rd party studios who made the games for SIE. It's awesome that Sony allows these games to be on PC even though they funded them but it looks more like Sony wanting to remain in good standing with those studios. Things might change in the future and we all know that change like this doesn't happen overnight (just look at how long it took Phil to overhaul the Xbox division), but as of right now I don't really see it. I do hope you're right, though.
It's not rude at all. PC has never really been something Sony supports traditionally. I don't expect too much from them directly right now. At the end of the day I think it's a space they're going to have to eventually get more involved in.
They published Ready Set Heroes on PC
Good catch.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
People that are happy own a PS4 and plan to own a PS5, so why wouldn't they be?

Because their games would have made it to PS5 if they remained independent or under 3rd party publisher.

The only reason someone is happy about Sony/microsoft purchasing studios is because they are fanboys who thinks their "side" became stronger.

let me put it in simpler terms: Exclusives are cancer

Imagine if Sony purchased Fromsoftware after demon souls? Yikes

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

It basically talks about a metadata system for describing different modes in a game, some of which are standardised and have a common data layout between different games that the OS handles, and some of which may be proprietary to one game and handled by the game engine. The shortcuts bypass the game menu to simply drop the user into the game as configured by the metadata. Or, if a menu is absolutely necessary for a particular mode, it seems there's a possibility of a lightweight menu being interactable immediately through the shortcut, rather than having to wait for an in-engine menu. Basically the user can 'explore' the game through these shortcuts before actually committing to launching the game, and then once they do, the the game can be launched knowing what the user wants to do and bypassing the games own menu and config screens. It also talks about the possibility of preloading certain components of a game when the user starts interacting with these OS-level shortcuts, to expedite loading once the user actually launches the game.

Yeah this one does sound like how there talking about the UI and game loading in the interview .
Very interesting .

Because their games would have made it to PS5 if they remained independent or under 3rd party publisher.

The only reason someone is happy about Sony/microsoft purchasing studios is because they are fanboys who thinks their "side" became stronger.

Exclusives have there place .
It just depend on how there are done .

Jan 20, 2019

That is funny because you said

Sony acquiring is always bad news for pc players since they don't release their games on pc

Microsoft on the other hand I get excited.

I guess as long is doenst effect you, it no longer matters... double standards.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

I see your point and you are up to something, but that is not the only reason.
For example Sony is known for giving a great lenght of freedom to developers and for pushing games with a strong narrative, so some studios might actually benefit from an acquisition in order to have a much bigger budget yet no compromises on their vision.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

I don't agree with you, sorry.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
DLSS uses tensor cores, doesn't it? I'm not sure if the consoles will have anything like that. Though, I wonder if it would be possible to take existing reconstruction techniques like checkerboarding and temporal injection and somehow use AI to improve them in a different fashion?

I wonder if there's any chance that the Switch 2 could have that sort of hardware. I'd love a Switch 2 that used DLSS on every game to get an IQ boost without needing to increase the overall resolution.
Last I checked the PS4pro (and maybe even the XBX) had dedicated hardware/PU customization for checkerboard rendering. Basically something that made the process almost free to devs that used it and allowed devs some flexibility in how they used it. I would want to believe that this is an area sony would set out to improve on to make it better. The same way seems to be focusing on VRS.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Yes I very much prefer Microsoft buying studios over Sony since they are much more pro consumer in that regard.

Yeah it's fine no need to apologize, that's my opinion. I hate exclusives, the more people get to enjoy a game the better.

Saying exclusives are Cancer is even more nonsensical than saying they are anti-consumer though.

Maybe saying you don't like them would be better.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
Yes I very much prefer Microsoft buying studios over Sony since they are much more pro consumer in that regard.

Pro consumer, like when they initially bought Halo and took it away from the master race.

I weep for those who have infinitely more games to choose from that all they miss out on are a handful of exclusives...you must prey Nintendo crash and burn.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

It's your opinion and all, but I think it's a flawed one none the less.

Exclusives are a very very necessary part of the console business.

To put it simply, imagine there were no exclusives at all. Not a single console would exist today.

Why would I buy a switch or PS4 when I can play breath of the wild or God of War on the PC I already have? It's the exact same argument being made against MS> Why do you buy a SeX/SeS if you already have a PC? If you think exclusives ae cancer, you might as well also say console gaming is cancer.

As it stands I have a decent enough PC. Not a chance in hell I buy an SeX/SeS when I can play all its games day and date on my PC. I will buy a PS5, because for a majority of its exclusives that's the only way I can play them. That's also why I have a switch.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
It's your opinion and all, but I think it's a flawed one none the less.

Exclusives are a very very necessary part of the console business.

To put it simply, imagine there were no exclusives at all. Not a single console would exist today.

Why would I buy a switch or PS4 when I can play breath of the wild or God of War on the PC I already have? It's the exact same argument being made against MS> Why do you buy a SeX/SeS if you already have a PC? If you think exclusives ae cancer, you might as well also say console gaming is cancer.

As it stands I have a decent enough PC. Not a chance in hell I buy an SeX/SeS when I can play all its games day and date on my PC. I will buy a PS5, because for a majority of its exclusives that's the only way I can play them. That's also why I have a switch.

You could ask if the games would even exist without exclusivity.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Was this posted ?
(probably, since i'm always late)

At GDC 2020 taking place in March, Diego Garcon (Procedural Technical Director at Turn 10) will "examine Turn 10 approach to placing dynamic lighting baking probes used in modern real time raytracing techniques "

https://schedule.gdconf.com/session...pu-using-a-procedural-dependency-graph/869182

FM8 should look good on Series X

This is an automatic placement of baked lighting probes using raytracing huge saving time for artists. No manual placement of lighting probes.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Last I checked the PS4pro (and maybe even the XBX) had dedicated hardware/PU customization for checkerboard rendering. Basically something that made the process almost free to devs that used it and allowed devs some flexibility in how they used it. I would want to believe that this is an area sony would set out to improve on to make it better. The same way seems to be focusing on VRS.

It was only the Pro, and its CUs are apparently quite a bit larger for it, so I'm not sure if it's worth it (though I do very much appreciate them pushing devs to learn and use reconstruction). Given that the X does seem to also be able to use checkerboard just fine (see games like DMC5), and that we saw games like Spider-Man ignore the checkerboard hardware for different techniques that may be even better, we'll see how they go about this. If they have to pick between that and more raw power... well, I'm not sure what I'd prefer.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I doubt checkerboarding will be a thing next-gen, there are better image reconstruction technics today. I mean, unless people are using the term checkerboarding as a proprietary eponym for image reconstruction.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I doubt checkerboarding will be a thing next-gen, there are better image reconstruction technics today. I mean, unless people are using the term checkerboarding as a proprietary eponym for image reconstruction.

Maybe maybe not, checkerboard is better at higher framerates, though I think that might also apply to temporal injection? All I know is, there's been a couple of reconstructed games that fooled even Digital Foundry into thinking they were native, and both used checkerboard rendering at 60fps.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Sony Patent-y things.

A patent that may be related to work on '3D Audio'.

METHOD FOR ACOUSTICALLY RENDERING THE SIZE OF SOUND A SOURCE

The opening summary has a good, well, summary of surround sound vs what might be called '3D Audio', and the weaknesses in surround sound that these techniques try to address. People seem to ask sometimes what the difference is, so that summary might be a reasonable primer on it.

More specifically this patent seems to be two techniques for making a sound seem to come from a specific location when it reaches your ear - point sound source simulation and a spherical harmonics representation ('ambisonics'). The latter being 'better' but having much higher computational cost, and a narrower range in which its effective. The application describes a system that swaps between the two representations depending on the distance between the user and the sound source and/or the size of the sound source. Ambisonics is apparently a lot better for representing large sound sources.

Multiplayer launch shortcuts in the launcher!

giphy.gif

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
No, Halo Infinite is already locked in as crossgen, and the next Halo will take long enough that launch issues won't have much effect on it. I was trying to indicate that Microsoft don't have limitless resources, even for their most prestigious and popular franchise.

You say this in several ways, but you're still ignoring that resources aren't limitless. Perhaps rather than re-explain the logic, introducing numbers will help. Let's say you have a budget of 1 billion dollars. A nextgen game costs $65m to make, a lastgen version of it $35m. You have 10 crossgen projects going. Now another studio wants to make a nextgen game. It doesn't matter how much you like the idea, there's just no capital to spend on them.

Not mandating crossgen doesn't make the money infinite either. But you could afford 4 crossgen game projects, plus 9 nextgen-only games. That's a slate of 13 titles instead of 10. Why would an owner of the nextgen platform not prefer this?

Several points: nextgen is actually millions of customers almost immediately. Sony and Microsoft each sold about 3m units in the first month last time. Second, the 3m early adopters are your biggest spenders in every category. Each of them is more likely to buy games than people in the bigger, but less enthusiastic lastgen cohort. And finally, you don't get these sales until after you've spent all the development and marketing costs.

Crossgen game revenue is both not as high as you might suppose, and also not available to the first wave of titles.

Absolutely. Crossgen games make sense as part of a portfolio. They've just never been the sole offering on new hardware--every previous launch is a mix of exclusives and crossgen, and companies have been successful with that. This is why I think Microsoft will end up with one or two true exclusives anyway.

You keep saying resources are limited... and ofcourse that's true... but the thrust of your argument is that crossgen games are taking money from other projects. That's not how budgeting works. Projects are greenlit due to their perceived value and assigned a budget based on the estimated cost to achieve that value. These hypothetical projects that COULD have gotten money if the crossgen game was axed either 1) don't exist (because of a lower value proposition or because they haven't been proposed yet) or 2) they are getting the budget they are estimated to need. And if they end up needing more money later (for additional polish or whatever), that determination will be made independently of the existence of the cross-gen project, which exists because of confidence in its value to the portfolio.

Your math example is weird and presumptive to me. How do you know MS isnt spending the lionshare of their budget on next-gen exclusives, but are giving these games time in the kitchen, in-part because dealing with new concepts while rushing to market often leads to qualitative issues that ultimately lead to games that underperform compared to their cross gen competition. Think back to the launch of Xbox One and PS4. Knack 54%. Killzone SF - 74%, Forza 5 - 79%, Dead Rising 3 -78%, Ryse- 60% . These were next-gen exclusives... but also mediocre. The franchise entries were low points in their respective series. The new games were graphically outstanding, with uninspiring gameplay.

Who's to say letting these games cook for a few months while porting forward some last gen gems like The Last of Us, wouldn't have ultimately just as good if not better overall.

I also find it weird that you frame the narrative as if developers are being mandated to design there next gen with old gen in mind, when the most likely scenario is that developers who are making late gen games are porting them forward. It also wouldn't be surprising if MS hired a few teams to port some next gen games backwards- a strategy they've had undeniable success with. The next gen exclusives are just scheduled to release sometime after launch, but before the console hits a year old.

The revenue provided by crossgen titles varies depending on the title. Minecraft and GTAV are hands down some of the biggest earners this industry has ever seen. A game like Halo Infinite stands to earn boatloads by running on xbox 1 and many gaming rigs as well as XSX. Yes, early adopters spend the most money... and historically at launch, they've been much more inclined spend that money on the next-gen version cross-gen than on next gen exclusives.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.