• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just worth mentioning that amid all this talk of Sony's silence atm, for months their plan was most certainly for everyone to be talking about TLoU2 right now. Like, it was supposed to be out. With the delay that obviously changes things. But apparently not enough to suddenly shift a strategy they've been planning for years. I'm just pointing out this silence wasn't really supposed to be an issue. They were probably expecting quite the opposite for at least a few weeks while their biggest game of the entire generation took the spotlight. But it's delayed and their response is probably "Well that's unfortunate -- nevertheless stay the course". I mean maybe that's not what's happening but it doesn't seem like a huge stretch.
likely their biggest game, but cyberpunk, which was also delayed, is arguably the biggest game of gen.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone could have predicted in January that Cyberpunk would be delayed. No one gets a cookie for predicting it.

Saying that something is amiss because Sony is "off their PS4 schedule" is presupposing a truth: that Sony meant to follow their PS4 reveal schedule in the first place. I don't think is true. It ignores the huge differences between this year's PS4 lineup and 2013's PS3 lineup.

PS5 (and/or XSX) might well get delayed, but not because they failed to reveal it in February or because the competition has them spooked or whatever.

Also lol @ "how could a smaller company match those specs"

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
Because it won't just impact loading. Remedy mentioned leveraging it for extra CPU power, for example.

The SSD will play a bigger role than this thread makes it seem.
Leveraging SSD for extra CPU power is nonsense, when the CPU does computation at peak efficiency the data doesn't even leave the CPU die, it stays within registers and caches. When the data doesn't fit in the cache (or the organization of your data reduces temporal and spatial locality), CPU performance tanks significantly. Now that you know DRAM is slow, SSD is even a few magnitudes slower.

The inverse, however, is true. At load time, faster I/O can keep the CPU fed, hence maximizing the overall efficiency.

Last edited:

nashman1313

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
it could be ms is just running a tighter ship, but a lot of reports of sony having issues getting parts, but none such reports about ms. I dont think the ps5 will be dealayed to 2021, but its still seems like ms is further along in the process than sony atm.

Exactly.

I own both console now and will get both nextgen but lets step back and look where we are at.

We have seen final form factor of XSX. Weve seen the final chip design. We have final complete comprehensive specs of XSX. Phil and now a few other MS employees have a XSX at home that they play on.
These are good signs of a product seemingly on track for a Q4 release.

Now lets look a PS5. Cernys been interviewed by Wired twice where hes given some general info....

Yes they are sharing alot of the same providers for parts. But do think the provider says "OK Sony you want to release in Q4, OK MS you want to release in Q4 too OK we will start manufactuirng for both of you guys at same time and same quantities"? Someone is further ahead.

What if there is no PS5 event in March? Sony gave invites 2 to 3 weeks before PS4 reveal. In 2 weeks March is now out of the question. PS4 wiped the floor with XB1 at launch. The battle was over right at the start. Yet this time Sony is switching up the gameplan pre launch, with NO Feb or even March reveal? Why?
Why stray from that winning formula?

I could very well be wrong. I hope I am. But something aint right and Ill stick with my prediction.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I find the premise that Sony was caught off-guard by MS's push for power VERY odd.

MS showed that they're not missing around in the power race almost FOUR YEARS AGO with the announcement of the 6TF beast that was Project Scorpio (Xbox One X). Why on EARTH would Sony think they would have then went with something in the 7-8TF range for their 2019-2020 next-gen system (assuming that Sony would have wanted to meet or exceed their power and ended up with the 8-9TF Oberon)?

The Github leak is obviously SOMETHING. We just don't know the context or the relevancy today. But it just doesn't make a lot of sense at face value.
All busineases make bets, from the green grocer to the biggest plane makers. Last gen, Microsoft made a bet that there might not be another solution that allowed them to hit 8GB RAM, and that Kinect's success on the the 360 meant that it would he a head turner on the new console as standard.

Those were the wrong bets. Sony gambled on GDDR5 and hit the jackpot when densities doubled. This also allowed them to get more out of a smaller die.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I phrased it poorly. If it is rdna2 I expected 7nm+ but with a ~400mm2 die, that would be equal to a ~480mm2 die on 7nm. As colbert pointed out, you only need around 400mm2 on 7nm for what xsx supposedly has(56cu/zen2)
7nm+ is a 20% density increase over 7nm/P.
Oh gotcha, I hadn't seen that 7nm+ offered such a density increase. You are right that they don't really seem to need such a large due if it is indeed on the 7nm+ architecture. So it is likely RDNA2 on 7nm? Interesting......

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
than what do you think happend b/c my take from the bloomberg article is that ms is a head, if only slightly in the process. what coused such a dealay to let ms take the lead.
It wasn't the Bloomberg article, but more putting together three things: (1) the idea that PS5 was at one point predicted to launch late 2019/ early 2020, (2) the idea that it take a very long time to design and launch a custom APU, (3) the 8TF and 9.1TF PS5 rumors, and (4) the speculation that PS5 was running fewer CU at very high clocks using an exotic cooling solution.

I can't begin to speculate as to what might have caused the delay, but if pressed I would guess it involved some custom aspect of the PS5 Sony was developing in-house.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
MS has announced more =/= MS is "further along"
Sony has announced less =/= Sony is "behind"

Companies do not announce things as soon as they are able to. They announce things when it makes strategic sense. A company not announcing something is not evidence that they must be unable to announce that thing.

This should really go without saying, but… *gestures widely to entire thread*

Microsoft is talking now because it makes strategic sense for them to talk now. They don't have any AAA titles until the XSX hits in Q4. Of course they're more willing to talk about Q4 now than a company with multiple major releases coming in mere weeks.

For the life of me, I can't understand why the knee-jerk doomsaying is so common in this thread. What Sony is doing now is exactly what they would be doing if PS5 development was going swimmingly. There are literally no indications that the project is "in crisis" or whatever.

Last edited:

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Just worth mentioning that amid all this talk of Sony's silence atm, for months their plan was most certainly for everyone to be talking about TLoU2 right now. Like, it was supposed to be out. With the delay that obviously changes things. But apparently not enough to suddenly shift a strategy they've been planning for years. I'm just pointing out this silence wasn't really supposed to be an issue. They were probably expecting quite the opposite for at least a few weeks while their biggest game of the entire generation took the spotlight. But it's delayed and their response is probably "Well that's unfortunate -- nevertheless stay the course". I mean maybe that's not what's happening but it doesn't seem like a huge stretch.

This is a very reasonable comment and a good point. Silence could well just be... lack of anything else planned.

likely their biggest game, but cyberpunk, which was also delayed, is arguably the biggest game of gen.

Did you forget Fortnite?

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
It would honestly be pretty amazing if Sony created an Elite equivalent controller and included it with every PS5. I think most consumers would ultimately appreciate that more than a GPU with an additional 3 teraflops.

I guess I don't understand the "hardware BC" talk regarding the PS5. I'm guessing that means calibrating the system such that it mirrors the PS4/Pro so that older games can run natively without issues. But isn't emulation inevitable at some point? I'm sure Sony has plans to bring back PS3, PS2, and PS1 games, which means some type of emulation would eventually be necessary anyway.

Isn't all of Microsoft's BC so far done through emulation?
PS4 Pro hard coded the CPU speed stepping of the original PS4, and then disabled half the CUs to emulate the exact amount of PS4 CUs. The GitHub leak was only found and related to PS5 because it had the exact CPU frequencies of the PS4 and PS4 Pro, so it does look like they are taking the hardware approach again.

Microsoft has been using a very stripped down version of a hyper-v hypervisor for their specialized emulator. This allows them to run on different kinds of hardware and to adjust resources for the games in the hypervisor.

Hypervisor's are a Microsoft strength, as the corporate world pretty much uses only VMWare or Hyper-v for Windows servers these days.

I do hope that Sony eventually moves to a software layer form of emulation, rather than a hardware bound solution because it's only going to get harder and harder to keep up backwards compatibility as each iteration of hardware comes out

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 Pro hard coded the CPU speed stepping of the original PS4, and then disabled half the CUs to emulate the exact amount of PS4 CUs. The GitHub leak was only found and related to PS5 because it had the exact CPU frequencies of the PS4 and PS4 Pro, so it does look like they are taking the hardware approach again.

Microsoft has been using a very stripped down version of a hyper-v hypervisor for their specialized emulator. This allows them to run on different kinds of hardware and to adjust resources for the games in the hypervisor.

Hypervisor's are a Microsoft strength, as the corporate world pretty much uses only VMWare or Hyper-v for Windows servers these days.

I do hope that Sony eventually moves to a software layer form of emulation, rather than a hardware bound solution because it's only going to get harder and harder to keep up backwards compatibility as each iteration of hardware comes out
that is more telling of toolset, and how both ps4 and xb1 might both be x86, but xbox is much closer to a pc in its scalabity and foword compatibility.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
Wouldn't 8k super sampled theoretically look better than 4K native? If there's all kinds of extra power unused, wouldn't it be beneficial to up the resolution?

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
If I interpreted the patent correctly it should indeed improve latency greatly. However, that will not be enough to replace DRAM to any extent, and "just enough for the purposes of gaming" is non-existent because game engines are some of the most latency sensitive applications. Imagine your game has to update the physics state of some object, instead of getting it done and submit render work to the GPU, now it needs to wait for cycles after cycles after cycles just for memory access. By the time it finishes updating all the game states, it would probably have missed a few frames.

Why would you need to update the physics of every object each frame, there's tons of object that wouldn't need to be updated each frame but could allow for vastly more destructible and persistent environments. It would be outside our traditional thinking of how to use it in game design because we've never anything close to that standard for game design.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
Why would you need to update the physics of every object each frame, there's tons of object that wouldn't need to be updated each frame but could allow for vastly more destructible and persistent environments. It would be outside our traditional thinking of how to use it in game design because we've never anything close to that standard for game design.
LOL you think just because an object is still you can avoid updating it? First of all, each time you render an object it needs to go through a series of transformation, regardless of whether it's still or moving. Second, physics is just an example, there are a lot of game states that are invisible to the gamer, for example, AI logic, animation of foliage. Some of them even ticks at a higher rate than the frame rate.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
This might be an impossible question to answer (and as somebody who isn't super techy I wouldn't know), but if we look at the PS5 from the perspective of what we concretely know and with the idea of Sony pushing some form of raytracing as a feature of the PS5, is the rumored 9 TF a number that both makes sense within the BOM costs we've seen as well as technically feasible to do raytracing on a level that isn't complete BS?

I guess what I'm asking is based on the specs and BOM is 9 TF a reasonable number or is 10-11 a more likely number?

I know there's a lot of factors, but I don't know enough to understand whether 9 seems right or if it's obviously too low.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This might be an impossible question to ask (and as somebody who isn't super techy I wouldn't know), but if we look at the PS5 from the perspective of what we concretely know and with the idea of Sony pushing some form of raytracing as a feature of the PS5, is the rumored 9 TF a number that both makes sense within the BOM costs we've seen as well as technically feasible to do raytracing on a level that isn't complete BS?

I guess what I'm asking is based on the specs and BOM is 9 TF a reasonable number or is 10-11 a more likely number?

I know there's a lot of factors, but I don't know enough to understand whether 9 seems right or if it's obviously too low.
in this context the tfp number has little to do with raytracing, its more dependent on how much silicon each of them gave up on their respective chips for rt hardware, though extra power can help all else equal.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
LOL you think just because an object is still you can avoid updating it? First of all, each time you render an object it needs to go through a series of transformation, regardless of whether it's still or moving. Second, physics is just an example, there are a lot of game states that are invisible to the gamer, for example, AI logic, animation of foliage. Some of them even ticks at a higher rate than the frame rate.

right, but some of those things like you just said would tick at lower rates for example I would assume foliage animations would tick at lower rates we simply don't have enough information on their custom SSD solution to see where it lies in Latency terms, however what we do know is that as an example PS5 Spider-Man load times were under a second meaning the data was requested, located, retrieved, decompressed, and rendered in under a second. That's incredibly impressive.
We also saw the fly through demo of Spider-Man which further suggests data retrieval and latency is very low in real world applications.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
right, but some of those things like you just said would tick at lower rates for example I would assume foliage animations would tick at lower rates we simply don't have enough information on their custom SSD solution to see where it lies in Latency terms, however what we do know is that as an example PS5 Spider-Man load times were under a second meaning the data was requested, located, retrieved, decompressed, and rendered in under a second. That's incredibly impressive.
We also saw the fly through demo of Spider-Man which further suggests data retrieval and latency is very low in real world applications.
A second is REALLY, really, really long in the realm of computing, we usually measure things in nanoseconds, microsecond, when it comes to milliseconds it's already quite slow. Loading Spider-Man under a second has nothing to do with latency, since it's a few big sequential reads, not a few millions small randomized reads.

Also saying we don't know where their SSD solution will lie in the latency terms is not true, we do. We know as a fact that it won't surpass DRAM in terms of latency. The difference in physical forms of DRAM and NAND flash dictates that.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
With the way RT is built into the CUs I don't think it's as simple as that. You're either at RDNA2 with those features or you're on a prior architecture.

Mind you, it's possible that their RT solution isn't by AMD.

that would fit with 'GitHub isn't the full picture' - GitHub could still be accurate for the basic GPU but isn't factoring RT?

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Wouldn't 8k super sampled theoretically look better than 4K native? If there's all kinds of extra power unused, wouldn't it be beneficial to up the resolution?
Theoretically 8k super sampling would make for sharper images, but I do wonder why they would choose to use extra bandwidth that way. Super sampling is usually a huge hit to FPS, and depending on how much overhead RT requires that might be preferred

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
in this context the tfp number has little to do with raytracing, its more dependent on how much silicon each of them gave up on their respective chips for rt hardware, though extra power can help all else equal.

this is an interesting point. Even if a separate RT solution was thought to be faster - or maybe wasn't close enough to be available when Sony were first designing things - surely a separate RT block on the GPU would take up more die space than having RT inside each CU so each CU is a little fatter?

even if Sony is 36-40CU, the overall chip could still be a lot bigger (maybe even close to xsx) because of the added RT hardware)?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Yep, I'm sure we can dream up more!

I guess I meant the warring has died down a little (but not completely ☹)

I know :)

Just wanted to bring back the glory days of wildly speculating about the PS5 specs when practically anything was on the table. Technically it still is.

I still want a screen in my DualShock 5 Sony! Oh, and NFC and wireless charging!

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
*Me: Watches the last batch of users blessed by Transistor's avatars

*Also me:
31677.jpg

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you, Transistor
This is ways more respectful than I expected. I might want to keep it.
Your avatar is bad ass. Or ass bad? Idk
I know :)

Just wanted to bring back the glory days of wildly speculating about the PS5 specs when practically anything was on the table. Technically it still is.

I still want a screen in my DualShock 5 Sony! Oh, and NFC and wireless charging!
You know in the spirit of optimism there's even more on the table after MS had a strong showing. A few years ago anyone suggesting those specs would've been laughed out of the room. This forum can be a little much sometimes the way it chews on things, but its nonetheless exciting times.

renx

Jan 3, 2020
Thread is beginning to look like the wake and burial of the PS5.
Remember. We are talking about Sony, which dominated the console market for the last 25 years.
Men of little faith.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
SSD will not replace RAM, they will help work with less RAM because in RAM there is much more than the data for a few frames.

And other things the SSD in Xbox is very good, 3.75 GB/s, my only concern is coming of how they will exploit it for streaming data knowing the MS first party games are multiplatform (PC, current gen and next gen console) and later one or two years after next generation consoles release(PC and next generation condoles.).

After SSD will not help with a 30% in TFlops handicap for Sony if it is the case. An hypothetical 9.2 Tflops PS5 would not be as handicapped than the weaker console between PS4 and XB1 or between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X because the consoles had a deficit in TFlops and memory bandwidth but the difference will be there, less than people think but it will exist. And TFlops are important for raytracing because ray intersection is good but you need to use shading power to evaluate the material and calculate the bounce of light raytracing needs more shader power than rasterization.

After the interesting things will probably be in the details out of the flops more than the people think.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I think that, based on how MS and Sony have (or have not) been positioning themselves, the XSX will be the stronger system. But I also think there's no way the weaker console is priced the same as the more powerful one. If the Xbox is $500, the PS5 will be $400.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I would take a 9.2 TF PS5 and hold it close to my bosom. I'd stroke and caress it, run my fingers through its exhaust grills and stick my finger up its power socket. I'd then turn down the lights and make sweet love to it down by the fire.

You don't want to see what depravity I'd do to a 12 TF PS5 ;)

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think that, based on how MS and Sony have (or have not) been positioning themselves, the XSX will be the stronger system. But I also think there's no way the weaker console is priced the same as the more powerful one. If the Xbox is $500, the PS5 will be $400.
not with the cost to make it being 450. sony would be eating almost 200 a unit, thats approaching ps3 tetory, there is no way they do that.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
If PS5 flops, could Sony technically use that flop in their console, reaching perhaps 10-ish TF?

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Well, it's a bit crazy out there right now. Lots of platform zombies waging war, so let's just all have a nice cold pint and wait for this all to blow over, eh?

JaggedMealyBullmastiff-size_restricted.gif

But, since we'll undoubtedly go stir crazy in here, what do you say we have a few sacrifices to pass the time?

Chippy13, Jayembi, jroc74, KOHIPEET, Otakukidd, Patent, RandomViolence, Rumpestump, TheUnseenTheUnheard, Wace, SuperBoss, MrHedin, Graefellsom, Aswitch. All of you please stand up. For the crimes of failing to predict the PlayStation 5 reveal date, I hereby assign you the following avatars.

Chippy13, this'll help you clear out those clogs!

R7abReJ.png

Jayembi, everybody should have some toy slugs!

UQRe1se.png

jroc74, you gotta be careful on those stairs, man

33oIZCB.png

KOHIPEET, remember the eight second "Draw Something" fad? Well, I do!

3jamAMK.png

Otakukidd, may this drawing of Nicholas Cage haunt your dreams as it has mine

eEhWUgH.png

Patent, Furious D knows how to bring in a crowd

Title_Bad_Album_Art.jpg

RandomViolence, driving is hard. Don't let this happen to you

8Sn7c6G.png

Rumpestump, have a snack!

r2ASz3s.png

TheUnseenTheUnheard, bust out the CD-I for this action packed title!

eO5Mq9D.png

Wace, sometimes it's hard to draw a donkey

FUk3jf4.png

SuperBoss, gotta complete that PS2 collection with this gem

U3tw2ZJ.png

MrHedin, Remember Windows ME? Remember it? Well, you do now! And so will everyone else

P4ZXPzF.png

Graefellsom, you gotta clean your pool, man!

VhREbPo.png

Aswitch, I vaguely remember this cartoon coming on at like 4AM on Nick. So here we are.

XOQzkW9.png

Well, that's it for today, folks! The platform zombies are still going at it, so let's just take this time to get to know each other. Let's see what my friends think about your new looks

tumblr_mioo65nT211s0pj15o1_500.gif
wow what a great avatar

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
not with the cost to make it being 450. sony would be eating almost 200 a unit, thats approaching ps3 tetory, there is no way they do that.
Idk, I don't know how true/not true this is. But I think Sony is waiting to see the exact price of the XSX to undercut it.

But honestly at this point, with how confident MS has been announcing the specs of their system, they have to know what's up and are 100% confident in their system. Like, I remember last gen. Sony announced first and all MS had to say was catch up shit with Major Nelson saying stuff like "announcing a system without showing the box?". This time around we just got done with MS doubling down on the 12TF RDNA2 number. It would, in my opinion, be a colossal fuckup to go November to now announcing and doubling down on that number just to have Sony come out with something stronger.

Sony isn't dumb though, they'll undercut on price. Maybe they rework PSNow to be a Gamepass like deal starting the generation to cover lost profit🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.