• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, so 9TF everybody's settling with?

What? No way. Some people think it's 9.2 but judging by the pushback against that idea at least just as many (a lot more, honestly) believe it'll be higher than that. I personally still think it'll be 13+ but I'll be fine with whatever it is. They're going to make it sing regardless.

Electro15

Oct 7, 2018
Let's get this party started! The wife and I are making margaritas tonight, so I'ma hand this off! Adookah, Electro15, foamdino, melodiousmowl, Whatislove, Super Barrier, renx, Expy, Mus1Ckk, Wordstar, Md Ray, StiLteD. Get over here! I'ma let my good friend Link do tonight's sacrifices. Link, take it away!

tenor.gif

Adookah, ..................... ........... . .......... ..........

SN7ST06.png

Electro15, ........... ............ ..... . ..........!

vzD4nav.png

foamdino, ..................... ......... ... ................................

ijJJoWL.png

melodiousmowl, ...........!

JUfJ3TF.png

Whatislove, ...................... ...... .... ... ..............!

smRPrUj.png

Super Barrier, .............. ...... ................................... .......... ......... .

6VYbF7e.png

renx, ...... ........... .... ................!

YLJyrPY.png

Expy, ...... ....... ........................... ..........!

qPEzpJ0.png

Mus1Ckk, .......... ............................................. ....... .... ................!

9fKnrBl.png

Wordstar, ............................. ..... ........... ........... ... ... ......... .............. .... ....... .................!

7g31nCO.png

Md Ray, ................ ..... .. ........................ .......... ... .!

pYWSAHe.png

StiLteD, .................................... .....!

eKDkX4r.png

...... ... .......... .... ......................... .. .. ......... .. ............!

Well, this is the last time I let you handle this.....

tenor.gif

pred2.gif

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's best to convince yourself that it's 9.2TF or even 8TF so that you won't get burned if it actually is. With there being a possibility of being pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be more.

The problem I personally have with the 9.2TF number and Github (besides that it lacks context) is that it needs to run at 2Ghz to even get there and that's just silly to me. Which personally pushes me to believe that it's either 36CU's with lower clocks and maybe around 8TF or that it's either not the final chip or that it has part of the silicon deactivated for BC testing.

Personally interested to see which of the two options it is. It's hard to imagine the PS5 having 8TF while the XsX has 12.
You know, with the very limited knowledge I have on the subject....in that Adored TV clip it sounds like Sony is going to be using a later chip than what's in github. IIRC, he said the later ones should be able to do 2Ghz fine.

IMO it's looking more n more like stress testing, getting ready for a chip they don't have yet.

To me, maybe they were testing BC with what was available, like some have said. I found it odd that him doubling the info in github for Oberon became Big Navi. A variant, whatever. If that's the case...Sony will not use all those cu's just for BC?

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Like earlier when I asked what does WG=, SA= really mean. I already kind of knew just from the explanations from older OT, but thanks to those that answered. I meant what does it really mean in the context of what we see in github, like maybe there's something missing. Are the WG and SA supposed to be those amounts? Because WG=9, times SA=2 is 18
WG=18 times SA=4 is 72

WG=18, times SA=3 is 54

Am I way off? Is this the beginning of the sequel to The Number 23? Someone help, get Jarule on the phone to help make sense of all this.....

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I think 399$ is what they should price it at.

They need to forget Xbox exists for the next 6-9 months and do their thing. They have it covered.

Full BC, HZD2/TLOU2/FIFA/FFVII Remake bundles at launch are enough to sell Millions in the first year.

If they strengthen the PS Now offering in thr next 12 months..they more or less offer what Xbox have as their USP( BCompat/Gamepass)

Yeah, if they focus on what they do best (games) I don't think they have many problems. They have some big AAA sequels in the works, God of War, Horizon 2 and whatever new IP's they have in the works.

BC will he a good incentive for people to upgrade to PS5 too, with all the big exclusives they already have on PS4 and if they can pull off BC with previous PlayStation generations as well, then that will be a bonus too.

They have been behind Xbox in terms of power more than once and it's never been an issue in the past and I don't see it being a major issue this time either.

Having 2.8TF less power isn't enough to kill PS5's momentum. Microsoft look to be in better shape going into next gen but power alone won't guarantee them the win.

Healthy competition means they will both aim to improve and we will all benefit.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
If Sony is going to let Microsoft have the most powerful console, then it means that they think it doesn't matter, which is interesting.

Or it means they were/are targeting a different price point. Or it means they didn't know until it was too late to do anything about it. Or it means their hardware focuses on different things besides raw GPU power. Designing next-gen consoles is about placing bets on where technology is going, and on what your competitors are doing.

I think it's funny how often people cite Sony "letting" Microsoft do things, as though Microsoft aren't executing a carefully planned strategy of their own, to try and out-play Sony.

Mus1Ckk

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Let's get this party started! The wife and I are making margaritas tonight, so I'ma hand this off! Adookah, Electro15, foamdino, melodiousmowl, Whatislove, Super Barrier, renx, Expy, Mus1Ckk, Wordstar, Md Ray, StiLteD. Get over here! I'ma let my good friend Link do tonight's sacrifices. Link, take it away!

tenor.gif

Adookah, ..................... ........... . .......... ..........

SN7ST06.png

Electro15, ........... ............ ..... . ..........!

vzD4nav.png

foamdino, ..................... ......... ... ................................

ijJJoWL.png

melodiousmowl, ...........!

JUfJ3TF.png

Whatislove, ...................... ...... .... ... ..............!

smRPrUj.png

Super Barrier, .............. ...... ................................... .......... ......... .

6VYbF7e.png

renx, ...... ........... .... ................!

YLJyrPY.png

Expy, ...... ....... ........................... ..........!

qPEzpJ0.png

Mus1Ckk, .......... ............................................. ....... .... ................!

9fKnrBl.png

Wordstar, ............................. ..... ........... ........... ... ... ......... .............. .... ....... .................!

7g31nCO.png

Md Ray, ................ ..... .. ........................ .......... ... .!

pYWSAHe.png

StiLteD, .................................... .....!

eKDkX4r.png

...... ... .......... .... ......................... .. .. ......... .. ............!

Well, this is the last time I let you handle this.....

tenor.gif
Is it bad that I'm in the YOLO spirit lol 😂

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So we are well and truelly in the 9.2tf camp now?

I dont believe 8tf for one second, no way it's only 2 tf more than a one x.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I think with how much smoke 9.2 is getting, we are definitely getting somewhere close to that.
That's what we should expected after navi10 premiere (but wider with lower clocks not crazy 2ghz or something around 8tf) and it's ok but now that microsoft overdeliver with rdna2 12tf and some insiders leaks contradicting this 9tf few would be happy.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Why would Sony be testing 2Ghz speeds for Oberon unless they were desperate to hit 9 TF because they miscalculated and ended up 3.5 TF behind SeX?

(8.4 TF vs 12 TF)

That is the question I ask myself.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I think with how much smoke 9.2 is getting, we are definitely getting somewhere close to that.
Or nowhere close to that.

You ave to try and remember how 9.2Tf even came into existence.

And I just don't see how Sony would push a 36CU GPU to 2Ghz in a console. Have you seen that dev kit????

If we are going with 36CU then at best we get 1.8Ghz. and that's 8.3TF. The only thing crazier than believing 36CU, is believing that it would be running at 2GHz in the console.

But if we are getting a 40U GPU (so that's 44CU with 4 deactivated), then yes, 9.2TF becomes very feasible at 1.8GHz.

Nov 17, 2019
Why would Sony be testing 2Ghz speeds for Oberon unless they were desperate to hit 9 TF because they miscalculated and ended up 3.5 TF behind SeX?

(8.4 TF vs 12 TF)

I cannot wait until we can find out the whole story behind the ps5's development. For some reason, I find the thought of Sony desperately trying to hit 9Tf at all costs pretty funny.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Remember 9.2 TF came from regression testing from June of last year. There has been no "smoke" since then.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

(8.4 TF vs 12 TF)

Keyword there being "testing"... it could just have been a stress test. Or it could have been testing for a chipset that only exists in the dev kits because final chips were not yet ready.

Point is, we don't know. To assume anything conclusive would be to disregard a lot of things that could just as easily explain it away or make it inaccurate

Then again, it could end up being spot on.

Is it possible that sony ensured they would have some variant of their APU ready in early 2019 so they could iron out any BC issues and give their internal studios a headstart on actual PS5 architecture (minus a few features) knowing fully well that their final chip would be better? Yes. It's possible.

It could also be possible that sony just decided very early on that no matter what they were going to stick to having only 36CU and instead focus n creating some sort cooling solution that would push them to 2Ghz.

Take your pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.