• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Remember when they watched all the Resident Evil movies before a new one cuz fuck it, why not? That was great.

What about when they watched all 3 Transformers movies at the same time. Or Mike and Jay each saw different halves of the Transformers that was in theaters then reviewed it. I miss the stupid stuff like that. I'm sort of glad they stopped the plinkett skits for a bit, that wedding one dragged on for a long time and wasn't interesting in the slightest. I'd like them to eventually go back and have another storyline but with all the things they're putting out now I doubt we'll see anything that interesting on a HitB anytime soon.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Re:view feels like it's more for reviewing stuff that's out on home video. Half in the Bag is for reviewing stuff that's in the theaters.

I think Hjod was saying that he'd like it if HitB focused more on niche movies that deserved more attention, while Lashley was saying that he'd like it if they tried to stick to movies that they're more likely to enjoy.
yes you are right

I just like being a smart ass

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
From what I recall, the very first few HitB were one new movie, one old movie. I liked that, but they have Re:View now anyway.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
While we're discussing this and because I just rewatched a few of the pre-recs with Jay where they have to remind folks about it, re:view is not just movies they love. Recall that they've done Independence Day and Bladerunner for example, where either both or one of the two dislike the movie.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'm biased because I enjoy their content but I was always of the opinion that their criticism on diversity issues was focused on studios wanting to appear as though they promote diversity in order to use this as a marketing angle instead of actually pushing for diversity in a meaningful way.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With all the controversy I forgot to give the update from a few days ago lmao.

Basically it was that they're largely all doing a bunch of editing. They're finishing up the re:view of suspiria with the second part that covers the newest film being longer.

They were also editing a new botw, and also finalizing another review for the rocketeer

It's funny that they're doing a re:view of the rocketeer considering they had a half in the bag they went over it fairly extensively as a comparison to another superhero film.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm biased because I enjoy their content but I was always of the opinion that their criticism on diversity issues was focused on studios wanting to appear as though they promote diversity in order to use this as a marketing angle instead of actually pushing for diversity in a meaningful way.
They went directly at Brie Larson though, that is why they are getting a lot of backlash. They went into the full on sexism lets trash the woman who wants more diversity...which is pretty hard to ignore.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I expect a lot of stupid shit from the likes of Rich, but honestly Jay trying to paint Brie as "nasty" just because of her google search video (which I perceived as a somewhat lame attempt at humor) was surprising.

It's definitely what people have been saying, they took what Brie Larson said about white critics personally.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest, I definitely try to ignore their politics. I just enjoy the fun that is Best of the Worst and Wheel of the Worst. I don't really watch Half in the Bag anymore. I'm definitely getting my bad movie fix on Twitch. RiffTrax now has their own channel.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
I just found out Colin from Canada is 46.

How

Keep him away from Milwaukee, it'll suck the immortal elf force from him.

Oct 25, 2017
Rich Evans unironically comparing the Women's March to the Birther Movement is a great demonstration that his opinion on minorities, women's rights, etc. is heavily skewed towards being a stupid asshole.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tell that to this wee boy.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Still sucks that they never did a catch-up video for the second half of 2018. They usually cover stuff that they really liked in those vids.
the sign that they've grown out of love with HitB is how they're putting zero to no effort to keep up with movies either good or bad. They basically have grown out of love with Plinkett too.

And honestly if they are more willing to put the effort on BotW and Re:View that's fine by me, seeing how that's their best regular content. No need to force yourself to do HitB constantly if you can't even bother to go watch ok movies like they used to.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the sign that they've grown out of love with HitB is how they're putting zero to no effort to keep up with movies either good or bad. They basically have grown out of love with Plinkett too.

And honestly if they are more willing to put the effort on BotW and Re:View that's fine by me, seeing how that's their best regular content. No need to force yourself to do HitB constantly if you can't even bother to go watch ok movies like they used to.
IIRC, they said that in terms of production costs, a Plinkett Review costs way more than anything they do (short of their actual films like Feeding Frenzy or Space Cop), while it doesn't earn them much more than an episode of Half in the Bag or Re:View. And a Plinkett Review has the highest liability for them, being the biggest target for copyright strikes and Youtube takedowns. Higher costs + moderate returns + higher risks = bad investment.

Although money isn't RLM's prime motivator, as Mike loved trolling the audience with bait-and-switch fake reviews, even though those were known to cost RLM money (they damaged RLM's overall Youtube profit algorithms, hurting RLM's revenue across-the-board, and weren't "clickbait" easy profit generators), but that was a price Mike was willing to pay for a good joke, until humorless fans complaining too much about being the butt of the joke made Mike stop doing it.

I think the current hurdle on Plinkett Reviews is that they're all on Mike. Unlike the rest of RLM's content, which shares or rotates the responsibility, Plinkett Reviews are exclusively Mike's responsibility. And he doesn't always have it in him to tackle a job that big, not unless he's excited about it.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
It seems weird to me they wish to handwave the significance of film as an impactful medium when they are all doing what they do because they love film and were impacted by the same medium throughout their lives. This happens irregardless of the corporatized element. I mean, they grew up in the 80's. They should be able to wrap their heads around that.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I'm too lazy to do the work, but I assume these HITB videos are the highest viewed videos on their channels, and they have admitted that they do Marvel garbage in part because of the views.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I can't agree with the "they don't care about hitb" narrative. I agree some of the "it's okay" movies they don't care about like Captain Marvel and should probably not do a review on. Heck in the past year I've feel they acknowledged not being interested and not reviewing/seeing these films in the catch up episodes.

On the other hand stuff when they're dunking on crap like Justice League, Batman v superman, or ghostbuster 2016 are hilarious. Episodes where they genuienly enjoy the film like infinity war and star trek beyond also provide unique insight most other reviews don't give me. Finally they also get me interested in things I may not have checked out otherwise like annihilation or overlord.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I can't agree with the "they don't care about hitb" narrative. I agree some of the "it's okay" movies they don't care about like Captain Marvel and should probably not do a review on. Heck in the past year I've feel they acknowledged not being interested and not reviewing/seeing these films in the catch up episodes.

On the other hand stuff when they're dunking on crap like Justice League, Batman v superman, or ghostbuster 2016 are hilarious. Episodes where they genuienly enjoy the film like infinity war and star trek beyond also provide unique insight most other reviews don't give me. Finally they also get me interested in things I may not have checked out otherwise like annihilation or overlord.
You're saying narrative like we're building this shit up to fit what we like lmao. When in the past two years we've likely seen less episodes than the rest of the years. When they did a new episode I believe last year they said they weren't interested in watching a bunch of movies they would have done an episode over beforehand. They didn't do a catch up. They didn't do an oscars themed episodes. No fuck you it's January.

Half in the bag used to be their primary source of episodes. Now it's literally an after thought to them. I'm glad when they do an episode cause they're so few and far in between but it seems like they only do them now for the rare film here and there. More than likely for popular ones or those they feel they have to talk about because fans expect them to.

There's no denying that they are cranking out more botw and re:view episodes because those don't require nearly as much effort at least as far as the skits go.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
just finished the 2018 Suspiria re:View. They did a good job on trying to sell me on it. But ultimately I am not going to watch it. Because I know my group of friends and what horror they do not tend to like. And this is it to a tee. This seems like a Hereditary type of film, and they hated that one.

More often that not when audiences are divided into who liked it and who didn't, they fall on the side that didn't like it. Even with all the spoilers they go over, I feel it'd be worth a watch

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
They have very much enjoyed most of this Marvel "garbage".
Whether they enjoy the movies or not is beside the point. They feel obligated to do them in part because of the "nerd crew" culture they make fun of but are really also a part of.

They aren't going to do reviews of The Favourite or Roma because no one would watch them or cares about what they think about "grown up" movies.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The Suspiria remake is a bit of a mess of a film. It's a ton of different ideas, story beats and concepts thrown haphazardly at a dartboard.
It has some strong scenes and acting, but it just doesn't come together.

It clearly had a lot of ambition behind it but maybe it needed a better editor and a more concise script.

Last edited:

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
just finished the 2018 Suspiria re:View. They did a good job on trying to sell me on it. But ultimately I am not going to watch it. Because I know my group of friends and what horror they do not tend to like. And this is it to a tee. This seems like a Hereditary type of film, and they hated that one.

More often that not when audiences are divided into who liked it and who didn't, they fall on the side that didn't like it. Even with all the spoilers they go over, I feel it'd be worth a watch
what it on your own?

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Whether they enjoy the movies or not is beside the point. They feel obligated to do them in part because of the "nerd crew" culture they make fun of but are really also a part of.

They aren't going to do reviews of The Favourite or Roma because no one would watch them or cares about what they think about "grown up" movies.

They usually will do this on Re-View or the end of the year HITB special.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, that is definitely true.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
They usually will do this on Re-View or the end of the year HITB special.
Oh sure, and honestly they seem to enjoy themselves in those videos more than doing these videos that they do because it gets the most hits.

It's like a version of people who are forced to stream Fortnite because no one will watch if they ever stream another game.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Obviously the big nerd stuff gets the clicks which pays the bills.

You're saying narrative like we're building this shit up to fit what we like lmao. When in the past two years we've likely seen less episodes than the rest of the years. When they did a new episode I believe last year they said they weren't interested in watching a bunch of movies they would have done an episode over beforehand. They didn't do a catch up. They didn't do an oscars themed episodes. No fuck you it's January.

Half in the bag used to be their primary source of episodes. Now it's literally an after thought to them. I'm glad when they do an episode cause they're so few and far in between but it seems like they only do them now for the rare film here and there. More than likely for popular ones or those they feel they have to talk about because fans expect them to.

There's no denying that they are cranking out more botw and re:view episodes because those don't require nearly as much effort at least as far as the skits go.

I still feel this is disingenous since in the earlier years of HitB they did episodes on things that would very clearly BE spot light episodes or re:views and not hitb.

Also just going by numbered episodes so the two parters count as one, fake reviews with a unique number count like death cure or grown ups 2, and the extra extended discussion videos don't count like mike talking about ghosts or copy cat films.

HITB by year

2018: 18
2017: 17
2016: 21
2015 19
2014: 17
2013: 20
2012: 23
2011: 21

And of course 3 in 2019. So on average they do about 19.5 HITBs a year, and as stated above the earlier year numbers are inflated with episodes about best worst movie/troll 2 (would likely have been a re:view as neither came out in 2011), going to various cons, or zaat (would likley have been a BotW spotlight).

So yes I stand by what I said before, this narrative that they're doing less HitBs does not line up with reality. They've been incredibly consistent with the amount of episodes they put out on a yearly basis. The only year that is an outlier is 2012 and that year had both a zaat BOTW and a BOTW about B-fest, remove those two and it's basically right in line with every other year.

Deleted member 5549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm one of those who didn't like it. even though I agree with what they said, my problems were the little details they liked. I didn't care for that love story side plot, I'm confused why tilda swinton had to play multiple characters and the german was distracting.

I'd still recommend it.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't rewatched Suspiria 2018, I'm kind of dreading it because I think the first 45 minutes will be a slog so the re:view was a nice way to revisit it

I like the movie a lot as a companion piece for the original, I think their vision for Suspiria rules but I think they take a bit too long to show their hand

Watching the original shortly after the remake it's kind of nuts how tightly paced it is. Every scene is like "oh we're at this part already"

It's funny that Jay mentions if it was an Argento movie it would've cut to credits at the peak of excess, for my taste I do kind of wish the movie would've ended there but I get it

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017
For all the BOTW fans here I just wanted to inform you of a great youtube channel called Good Bad or Bad Bad.https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5n61wxikQ22tTpzyFT4ORg

They cover a lot of low budget movies but their focus seems to be more recent films. I wholeheartedly recommend their review of 365 Days or any of Alex Maisonette's movies.

Colin tweeted out their Ryan's Babe episode as he makes a brief appearance. The length of the episodes are a bit much for me considering their are talking about one movie with nothing to really break it up like a Plinkett review.

Speaking of Colin, his podcast that he does is still running.

Check out No Such Thing As A Bad Movie (@NoSuchThingPod): https://twitter.com/NoSuchThingPod?s=09

Colin really carries the show and throws in a random but of trivia from working in CGI. Some funny stories about how he animated eleves for the Santa Clause or shitting on the Chipmunks movies.

He mentioned they recorded that Top Secret re:view almost a year ago.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
I finally watched the Suspiria remake and I thought it was a pretentious piece of shit. It didn't have anything to say but it desperately wanted us to consider it oh so important.

Deleted member 37303

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 2, 2018
Just updated their Patreon page.

We're hoping to have the new Best of the Worst out in the next couple of days but it's been a pain to edit. It turned out that two of the three movies could have been Spotlight episodes on their own! There was just so much to try and make sense of. So now it'll just be an extra long episode. Whoops!