Reset Era Players Present: Reign of Fear -- A D&D 5e Play-By-Post Campaign

MoonlitBow

Member
Oct 25, 2017
745
Fhiess considers Thosar's suggestion. He is right, Fhiess had forgotten for that brief moment that Crullus had the essence they needed. Regardless, it was doubtful they were going to kill the man. It seemed as though they were going to catch and capture him which in the young Bard's mind would still be a viable route to talking to him and appealing to his forgotten senses. A short reminder of the pain that Ryder had inflicted flashes in his mind -- if Ryder was willing to attack someone that had only briefly convened with his enemy then Crullus' life may be in far better care under lawful custody in any case.

Still, he does not speak his ideas.. At least not yet. He had already approached Crullus as his Skullcrusher identity would have. The Skullcrusher that promises greater. Instead he allows Thosar's illusion to speak what is important. It is only after Thosar's illusion granting important words that he smiles to Thosar and finally responds, "It seems you already have the wisdom that you need. I believe it is Crullus that needs your wisdom."

Fhiess' compliment to give Bardic Inspiration (d8) to Thosar
 
OP
OP
Mike

Mike

Member
Oct 25, 2017
2,043
Greater Seattle Area
Crullus frowns at Thosar’s words, both his own and those conjured from the past at the dawning of this whole catastrophe. “You have the naïveté and moral sophistication of a child,” he announces, raising his helmet to his head. “I had hoped you would listen to reason, but it is clear that I must shoulder the rebuilding of Telmur alone.” He lowers the helmet over his head and lifts his hand to the visor. “I believe, master Thosar, this is the part where you attempt to take my power by force.”

He drops the visor over his eyes with a metallic clang, and a strange discoloration begins to creep out from around its margins. The enamel and gleaming steel give way to something black, pitted, and wholly corrupted as the Shining Guard move with an impossible degree of synchronicity and assume ready positions.

((Bad guys won initiative, but I’ll let you guys pick your starting positions on the lower tier of the map before they take any action.

Verticality is stupid hard to convey with Dungeon Painter, but basically each color of tile represents a different level, each 10 feet higher than the one below it. If it comes to it, the second tier runs under the bridge on the third tier and you can move freely beneath it. The archers have enough elevation that ducking behind the railing is not going to provide cover.

Lemme know if there are any other questions that might impact where you want to be positioned.))
 

Eternal Song

Member
Oct 31, 2017
604
((I was going to mark up a copy of the map with areas of interest and use that for some questions on the Discord, but my internet issues say otherwise.

This being the case, what kind of cover do the trees provide, what is up with the cobblestone areas in the water and seemingly behind a railing, and should I understand that the sides don’t provide cover from enemies elevated in the center?

Also, what is the effect of height for each tier? And where must we be to start using the first set of stairs?

No color-coded areas, no convenience. Use your imaginations to figure out where I am talking about.))
 
OP
OP
Mike

Mike

Member
Oct 25, 2017
2,043
Greater Seattle Area
((From now on, you all fight on a vast, featureless plain.
  • If you can put a tree trunk between yourself and an enemy, you have three quarters cover. The trunk is at the center of the 3x3 space they occupy.
  • If you're trying to shoot at a higher elevation from beneath the canopy of the trees, you're at disadvantage.
  • Anyone down by the trees won't be able to target anyone on the top tier unless they're right up against the railing, and vice versa.
  • The cobblestones are my attempt to try to portray a waterfall, but again, Dungeon Painter isn't made for that. It was supposed to be part of the same wall as the cobblestone above it. I am not an artistic man.
  • The only effects of height we're going to worry about is that your maximum range of ranged weapons would be slightly decreased since you'd be aiming along a hypotenuse, and that there is no cover approaching from the front. If you're up against the walls on the side, you're at full cover unless the enemy is in the adjacent column.
  • Going up the stairs from the bottom 2 squares is normal movement. Trying to get on the stairs above that is a climb action.
Vast. Featureless. Plains.))
 

Eternal Song

Member
Oct 31, 2017
604
((All very good to know. Thanks!

Galen's location hasn't really been affected by this because he is still kind of tied to the same area of the map as Fhiess, so here we go.

We'll have to start prepping for featureless plains.))
 
OP
OP
Mike

Mike

Member
Oct 25, 2017
2,043
Greater Seattle Area
((If you just go straight up the stairs from your current position, there's no climbing. Climbing would only come into effect if someone comes at the staircase from the side and wants to get onto the third or fourth square from the bottom))
 
OP
OP
Mike

Mike

Member
Oct 25, 2017
2,043
Greater Seattle Area
“You three, with me,” Crullus commands the knights wielding greatbows near him. “The rest, press ahead. Be wary, they’re trying to flank us.”

At an almost leisurely pace moves toward the stairway, staying well outside the site of anyone down below, but having an unobstructed view of those unlucky enough to be caught at the bottom of the stairs. Meanwhile, those of his men equipped with sword and shield march past with measured precision and timing more akin to a clockwork device than even the most well-trained military regiment and begin to descend the stairs.

“The boy and the J’raffa,” he says to his armored archers. “Kill them.”

((Heavy Knights take Dash actions.))

((Bow Knights and Crullus take single move actions. Crullus will Dodge, though I don’t suspect that will do him a tremendous amount of good))

((Bow Knight A and Bow Knight B both make Greatbow attacks against Ludwig))

Code:
Bow Knight A
To Hit: 1d20 + 4 = 23
Damage: 2d6 + 4 = 9
Code:
Bow Knight B
To Hit: 1d20 + 4 = 20
Damage: 2d6 + 4 = 12
((Bow Knight C targets Keranos))

Code:
Bow Knight C
To Hit: 1d20 + 4 = 20
Damage: 2d6 + 4 = 10
((Map. Only Ludwig and Keranos have line of sight with Crullus and the Shining Guard in everyone’s current positions.))
 

ThLunarian

Member
Oct 26, 2017
1,089
Keranos attempts to dodge the arrow, but his armor is too encumbering and his maneuverability is compromised. He takes the arrow square in the shoulderblade; his armor blunts its impact somewhat, but the brunt of the damage comes through. He winces and grits his teeth.

Closing his eyes, he grips his Holy Symbol in one hand and focuses. Above the battlefield, storm clouds spontaneously form, growing dark and casting a shadow over everyone. Lightning and thunder rumble from on high.

His ultimate plan isn't quite ready to come to fruition, so as the elements above roil and brew, he points at the nearest encroaching attacker. A gust of wind and small bolt of electricity spring forth.

((Move to L26. Cast Eldritch Blast on the guy in I-16.

First blast:
d20 + 7 = 17 vs AC
d10 + 4 = 13 damage. If it hits, I'll push him back two squares, to I14.

Second blast:
d20 + 7 = 24 vs AC
d10 + 4 = 7 damage. Push him back two more squares, either to I14 or I12 depending on if the first one hit

Map, not counting Eldritch Blast forced movement))
 

MoonlitBow

Member
Oct 25, 2017
745
https://beta.ditzie.com/85200/5cc74fd4e810a

Fhiess runs back to Sagishi and begins turning the pages of an unfamiliar book that doesn't resemble what his sketchbook normally looks like. "We can't kill Crullus, but we can still show him what it is like for him to feel abandoned and alone with nobody to protect him. To show him what his Telmur would be like alone in the world if his guards are gone."

He slams a finger on the page with an ah hah, then chants "Move like the wind carries you, fight like you are many." He then reaches out to place a hand on Sagishi's chest and yells out, "Haste!"
 

Noisy Ninj4

Member
Oct 25, 2017
648
Seeing his friends under fire, Thosar breaks south in their direction, moving out from behind the trees. He recites the incantation and points a wand just above the highest level. A point of light races upward from the wand and erupts into an inferno amidst Crullus' minions engulfing nearly everyone nearby.

((Move to A17 and cast fireball at a point above 11i. Damage is 27 fire, Save DC 15))
 
Last edited:

Nezumi

Member
Oct 25, 2017
817
Bad Soden am Taunus
Fhiess words fill Sagishi with a sense of urgency and confidence. He springs into action as soon as he hears Crullus order the archers to shoot at Ludwig and Keranos. Not bothering with any steps he hauls himself up to the second tier, his fingers slipping between the cracks in the wall with ease.
He aims at one at the archers and quickly loosens two bolds in the soldier. Seeing the other guards approaching he decides that he best not lingers out in the open like this and even faster than he had made it up there he vanishes back into cover.

(Using haste to move to D20 and shoot twice at the archer on the left. Attack one with 24 to hit and 20 damage and Attack 2 with 15 to hit and 13 damage. Using my cunning action to dash back into the cover of the trees which should be easily doable since dash doubles the already doubled speed from haste.)
 

Eternal Song

Member
Oct 31, 2017
604
At Crullus' kill order, Galen springs to action, bolting for the stairs and releasing a pair of arrows toward the armored spidery abominations. "You madman! We trusted you, and you do this?"

He slides to a stop next to Ludwig, wrapping an arm around the endangered J'raffa. "Time to go."


((Move to C, 25. Pew Pew.
Attack Armored Knight D: [6]+3+5=14
Damage: [7]+3=10
Horde Breaker Armored Knight C: [8]+8=16
Damage: [5]+3=8
Continue to C, 27.
"Grapple attack" Ludwig. Presumably no resistance.

More speech later, perhaps.))
 
Nov 2, 2017
139
Ludwig grunts through a few arrows, and surveys the battlefield before him. The knights are up stairs, and all too far away for him to hit right away. When Galen unexpectedly hops aboard and says it's go time, Ludwig's still not sure how to go about covering ground well.

That all changes when he spots Keranos, or rather, Keranos's cape billowing in the wind. With a solution to his mobility problem in sight, Ludwig barrels forward towards his ally, and quickly shouts "I need to borrow this thanks bye!" Before Keranos has a chance to respond, Ludwig pulls the cape off the young god and drapes it over his back. It hangs there awkwardly, looking like a red napkin draped over the oversized J'raffa's back for a moment before he poofs out of sight, assumedly taking Galen along for the ride.

Ludwig rematerializes on the upper floor, a short charge away from Crullus and his archers. "Sup bitches? Did you know that hundreds of people die every year in spider related incidents? Turns out trying to befriend them causes some of those deaths. Let me show you why that's so dangerous." He draws the Invisible Hand.

(("Borrowing" Keranos's cloak to dimension door to RS89. Updated map.))
 
OP
OP
Mike

Mike

Member
Oct 25, 2017
2,043
Greater Seattle Area
The battle joined in earnest, now, the Endowed work to turn what might other wise be disadvantages in position into opportunies to inflict unexpected damage.

Keranos draws summons a portion of his thunderous power, making himself a focal point of the the enemy's attention and launching a pair of energetic bolts aimed squarely at one of the heavily armored Shining Guard. The undead monster raies its tower shield and weathers the full force of the first, but is forced to stagger back a couple paces as the second impacts immediately thereafter. But while he has been forced backwards, he has suffered no apparent ill effect.

Fhiess bestows the gift of inhuman speed upon Sagishi, who combines it with his ample experience in scaling surfaces to make a hit and run attack. He sprints from cover and scrabbles up the wall to the second tier, aiming only in the vague direction of the enemies and trusting in the enchantment of his weapon to steer his projectiles home as he unleashes a pair of bolts. One punctures the armor of one of the archers, spilling spiders onto the ground, but the other skitters away harmlessly on the cobblestones. But by that point Sagishi has already slid off the platform and is sprinting back toward the safety of cover beneat the canopy of the cherry trees.

Unable to draw a direct line of sight on his foe, Thosar does the next best thing and calls a fireball into existence directly above the heads of Crullus and his clustered Shining Guard. The shambolic knights make no reaction, but Crullus can be heard cursing as a new sun is born directly above his head. Galen takes advantage of this, unleashing a harrying pair of shots as he sprints to Ludwig, who in turn snatches Keranos's magic cape and uses it to put both himself and Galen only yards away from Crullus and his forces.

Crullus straightens to his feet, the wet stones of the courtyard hissing steam from Thosar's fireball. "Pin them down," he tells his archers. "If they show their heads, you put an arrow through it." Two of them take up posts and draw their bows, ready to release their enormous missiles at anyone who dares emerge from the cover of the cherry trees. The third takes advatnage of Thosar's relative exposure and let's fly an arrow without bothering to wait.

Two of the heavy knights continue their approach to the lower level while the other two reverse course in fall in on either side of Crullus as he strides toward Ludwig and Galen. It seems a black flame, only half-viewed, flickers up the length of his greatsword as he holds it in a ready position. "I am a man of mercy," he says, "so I will give you this one last opportunity to listen to reason. What I seek is the only hope for the future of Telmur. We cannot hope to stand against Phobetor, against the might of a god! Bargaining with him is the only way, at least this way we can save some of the people instead of none of them. This is what leadership is, damn it! Knowing what sacrifices need be made for the greater good of all!"

((Bow Knights A & C move to the edge of the tier and ready actions.))

((Heavy Knights A & B take Dash actions to close the gap to the first tier.))

((Heavy Knights C & D move toward Galen and Ludwig and take Dodge actions.))

((Crullus approaches Galen and Ludwig and readies an action.))

((Bow Knight B takes a shot at Thosar))

Code:
Bow Knight B
To Hit: 1d20 + 4 = 19
Damage: 2d6 + 4 = 11
((Map))

((Round 2))
 

MoonlitBow

Member
Oct 25, 2017
745
<Would Fhiess be able to cast a Shatter spell that can hit both Bow Knight A & B? It's a 60 range spell with a 10 ft radius with no line of sight requirements.>
 

Noisy Ninj4

Member
Oct 25, 2017
648
The giant arrow flying towards Thosar sails past his shield and strait toward his shoulder guard. A slight tug from the magic armor is just enough to make sure the arrow does not strike true, instead skittering past him. He silently thanks Galen for the small loan allowing him to purchase it earlier.

"I could use a little bit of Hogan's advise at the moment, Fheiss."
 
Last edited:

Noisy Ninj4

Member
Oct 25, 2017
648
"Crullus, you are a fool if you think Phobetor will spare any of us a fate preferable to death! If you stand against us, you stand against Telmur and her people. Against the salvation of your own king! The boy yet lives!" With those words, Thosar sends out another gout of flame to scorch those assembled atop the platform. He then moves back behind the tree for cover.

((Fireball above i9. 31 fire damage. Save DC 15. Move strait to A11.))
 

MoonlitBow

Member
Oct 25, 2017
745
"Ah! They're coming!" Fhiess exclaims as he peers through the light glimmering through the cherry blossom leaves to spot moving shadows patrolling the edge of the elevation. "Maybe this will work?" He holds out a hand past the bark in front of him and chants, "Strange forces! Make the air tremble around my foes!"

Strong pulls begin to converge magnetic waves all about the zone which the arachnid archers occupy. When the magnetism becomes too compacted in an unseen sphere, it explodes from within the pressure, sending ringing shock-waves outward and blasting any caught near it.

<Casting Shatter at the area where Bow Knights A & B are. Rolled 15 on the 3d8 Thunder damage. DC 14 Constitution save for half damage, disadvantage if the creatures count as metal.

EDIT: Updated map to have Thosar's movement https://beta.ditzie.com/85200/5cce2125922aa >
 

ThLunarian

Member
Oct 26, 2017
1,089
Keranos wrinkles his nose and grunts after it becomes clear that the encroaching foes are, for whatever reason, immune to his attack.

He scans the battlefield and considers his options. He could unleash a more powerful area of effect blast on both of the nearby spider-filled creatures, but then he notices that the Governor is standing near a ledge... If he can just catch the man off balance....

Thrusting his palm forward, he unleashes another bolt of lightning, accompanied by a strong gust of wind, in the direction of Crullus, hoping to push him over the guard railing of the ledge.

((First attack: 18 vs AC for 7 damage, try to push him back 10 feet.

Second attack, 12 vs AC, probably misses))
 
Nov 2, 2017
139
"Yup, sounds like a statist. You know, that's what that orc said too before we dealt with him and his dragon. You're making a pretty good shape for why leadership should be abolished outside of successful businessmen running their enterprises though, so hey, you're doing some good. You know, bringing out the guillotine before you bargain your way into being a horrible spider person is kind of a mercy too. En garde!"

Ludwig charges forth, but pulls up just in front of Crullus and uses his long neck to swing from a distance. After making two attacks of varying success, he trots backwards, trying to force the blade-wielding men to give chase.

((Moving within 10 feet of Crullus and making two attacks.13 on the first which I assume misses. 22 on the second, using a 2nd level smite for 23 damage total, then using most of his remaining movement to back up. Updated map.))
 
Last edited:

Eternal Song

Member
Oct 31, 2017
604
In but an instant, Ludwig and Galen appear upon the bridge, facing the mad governor. This was quick. Real quick. It was faster than the stairs would have been, and very ingenious of the J'raffa.

Galen releases his grip and draws a set of arrows.

"A man of mercy," the archer rejoins, hardly loud enough for his voice to carry, "but a fool." Louder now. "To believe a being of terror and destruction will abide by such agreements. Will not this fiend's other minions descend upon this place once all else falls? You have chosen doom for these people, Crullus, and we cannot abide it."


((
Attack Heavy Knight C: [18]+8=26
Damage: [1]+3=4​
Attack Heavy Knight D: [4]+8=12
Damage: [7]+3=10 (Unlikely)​
Horde Breaker Crullus: [15]+8=23
Damage: [8]+3=11​
Mage Slayer Longbow.
Retreat to V, 7.
))
 
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike

Mike

Member
Oct 25, 2017
2,043
Greater Seattle Area
((Crullus uses his readied action when Ludwig approaches, which I'll detail in the round write-up. Ludwig and Galen are on disadvantage for their attacks, so let's get another set of rolls. There's no other effect on them this round.))
 

Eternal Song

Member
Oct 31, 2017
604
((I should have made a special note of those Dodge Actions and had Disadvantage rolls ready.

Anyway, three rolls, right here:
[4]+8=12
[5]+8=13
[10]+8=18

A bit more sad, but the most important to have land was always the last, and I guess that might still hit Crullus. Maybe, possibly.

Nezumi , still got your rolls on file?))
 

Nezumi

Member
Oct 25, 2017
817
Bad Soden am Taunus
Hidden behind the trees on the lower levels, Sagishi doesn't really see much of what is happening on the upper tiers, still filled with the urge to gotta move fast, instilled in him by Fhiess, he runs back up the stairs. It seems that the battlefield has changed quite a bit already, and he can only wonder how Ludwig had made it up the stairs this fast.
Not that he has time for that. As this time the bow man seemed to have been awaiting his arrival. With several pointy tips directed at him, he vaguely points his weapons in the direction of the nearest attacker loosening a couple of bolts, before vanishing back into the cover of the trees.

((Attacking Bowman B First Attack with 24 for 24 damage, second one did not hit. No need to update map, as he is back where he started.))
 
OP
OP
Mike

Mike

Member
Oct 25, 2017
2,043
Greater Seattle Area
((Bow Knight A releases his held action to shoot Sagishi when he comes out from cover, has advantage from Sagishi's magnetic enchantment.))
Code:
Bow Knight B
To Hit: 1d20 + 4 = 15
Advantage: 1d20 + 4 = 13
((Bow Knight B goes down and spawns three spider swarms, spiders crawl down to ground level.))
((Bow Knights A and C move down. Bow Knight C holds his action, Bow Knight A takes a shot at Sagishi.))
Code:
Bow Knight B
To Hit: 1d20 + 4 = 24
Critical Damage: 4d6 + 4 = 24
((Guess you can't really roll advantage on a critical hit...))
((Heavy Knights A & B take a Dash action to come up the side and close the gap.))
((Heavy Knights C & D move up and take Dodge actions.))
((Ludwig and Gallen need to make a DC 16 Wisdom save or be Frightened for one minute))
((Crullus uses a bonus action to make a melee spell attack v. Ludwig))
Code:
1d20 + 6 = 22
Damage: 3d10 + 6 = 28
Crullus bellows with rage and frustration as Thosar calls into being another massive burst of fire directly overhead, even as Keranos pelts him with thundrous power. When Ludwig charges in, he screams, "Enough!"

Waves of malevolence erupt from Crullus, plunging the area around him into darkness and masking the movements and positions of he and his knights. As he approaches the J'raffa and ranger, the aura of terror washing over them is almost unbearable. As though to demonstrate that the darkness is a thing to be feared, the shadows grain form with a wave of Crullus's hand and attempt to ensnare the quadruped's legs.

Meanwhile, his remaining forces start to close in on the trio huddled behind the cherry tree, leaving Keranos to his own devices.
((Updated map.))
 

Eternal Song

Member
Oct 31, 2017
604
((Wisdom Save vs Frightened: [15]+3=18

Mike , when you say the shadows attempt to ensnare Ludwig's legs, is that just the damage from Crullus' spell attack, or is there something more sinister at work?
And does the aura of terror accompany the equivalent of a Darkness spell?

In any case, it looks like it's so far, so bad.))
 
OP
OP
Mike

Mike

Member
Oct 25, 2017
2,043
Greater Seattle Area
((The AOE is not very similar to the darkness spell. It reduces all light in its radius to dim and imposes disadvantage on any attacks made against the user/user's allies that require the attacker to see their opponent. The shadow attack is just an attack, no grappling.))
 

Nezumi

Member
Oct 25, 2017
817
Bad Soden am Taunus
Sagishi had thought he had evaded most of the flying projectiles, but once he is back in his hiding place behind the trees a sudden burning in his side informs him that he had been wrong. He looks down and sees a circle of red blossoming on his shirt. It hurts, but after a quick check, the damage does not seem to be too dire. The bolt had gotten right through, and from what he can telll at a glance, hadn't hit anything vital on its way.
The clashing sounds of metal appproaching pulls him out of his contemplation. Two of the knights have made it down the stairs and quickly made it towards their little trio hiding under the trees.
Without thinking he lifts his brossbow and sends bolts in the direction of the nearest knight and a second one into the one approaching behind it.
Feeling that he cover of the trees is no longer of advantage to him he sprints ahead and leaps up the wall to a higher vantage point.


((Using my reaction to uncanny dodge and half the damage. First attack against heavy knight B Critical hit for 36 damage. Second attack on heavy knigt A with 25 to hit and 19 damage. Moving to G9 updated map ))
 
Last edited:

Noisy Ninj4

Member
Oct 25, 2017
648
Seeing the darkness bloom out from the bridge beyond, Thosar looks toward the bridge noticing it engulf Ludwig. He rushes around the tree toward the upper levels and with a word he takes a step through a puff of mist, landing next to Sagishi. Seeing Galen and Ludwig in trouble with Crullus, he reaches out to splay his fingers "Rigor Homus!". Lines of glowing red dance out from his fingertips and wrap around Crullus' limbs and joints, locking them in place. "Strike now while he is vulnerable! It won't hold long!"

((Move to 9E, Misty step to G8. Using hold person (DC 15) on Crullus and using portent to lock the save roll at 2. If Ludwig attacks, Portent to set his attack roll at 15. Modifiers apply as normal. https://beta.ditzie.com/85200/5ce1edbb5c830

Note to other players. Assuming he can be paralyzed, attacks gain advantage and any hits on Crullus are automatic crits. Also fails any Dex or Str saves.))
 
Last edited:

MoonlitBow

Member
Oct 25, 2017
745
<I'm honestly not sure what to do, Fhiess has no way of catching up to Sagishi and Thosar and he can't take on all of the enemies at ground level on his own. I think I'm forced to drop Haste this turn.>
 

MoonlitBow

Member
Oct 25, 2017
745
Twisting his body and head to look around him, the Bard suddenly finds himself alone on the ground level. With no way to catch up to his allies, Fhiess begins to feel a quickly overwhelming sense of panic. "Wait! I can't fight all of them on my own!! What am I supposed to do!?," he yells, beginning to stumble backward in a desire to flee. Losing focus on the spell he cast on Sagishi, Fhiess attempts to cast a different spell in an effort to protect himself.

<Casting Hypnotic pattern in a 30ft cube area that includes the three spiders, Heavy Knight B, and if the cube reaches high enough, both of the bow knights. DC 14 Wisdom save to avoid being charmed. Moving behind another tree after that.

https://beta.ditzie.com/85200/5ce232d9388cd >
 

Eternal Song

Member
Oct 31, 2017
604
Crullus responds with an unexpected ferocity, lashing out at Ludwig with the veil of darkness that has blanketed this place at his call. Crullus has gained the advantage.

"You have chosen a path of destruction," Galen laments, lowering his bow, his free fingers beginning twitch with a rise of energy. He reaches over and places his hand on the J'raffa's neck, a smirk tugging at his lips as Thosar's appearance catches his eye, the mage raising his arm against the governor. "In the name of the Ember Wardens, I declare this trial begun."

As Thosar's enchantment takes hold, Galen speaks out again. "Defender, guardian, arise!" The magic courses through his arm and into Ludwig, then Galen takes off, calling back, "Ludwig, out from the shadows!"


((Cure Wounds, Second Level, on Ludwig:
[1]+[2]+3=6

Movement to W, 13))
 
Last edited:

ThLunarian

Member
Oct 26, 2017
1,089
Keranos's lip curls in rage.

This battle has been a disaster thus far. He can barely see what's happening around Ludwig and Crullus, but based on the sounds coming from the darkness, things don't look good for the paladin. The rest of his friends are under heavy assault by a rapidly encroaching horde.

Adding insult to injury, the Foul Guard has decided to disregard him as a threat.

He plods over to the edge of the staircase, his armor weighing him down too much to go any farther. "IGNORE THE GOD OF STORMS AT YOUR PERIL!" he screams.

Keranos Raises both arms as high as he can, stretching his fingertips toward the sky, and thrusts his palms downward. The storm bellowing from on high echoes his movements, and a great bolt of lightning tears through the clouds and down at the group of enemies that is moving toward Fhiess.

((Cast Shatter on square E15, hitting Spiders B and C, Heavy Knight B, and Bow Knights A & C. Use Channel Divinity to deal maximum damage. 24 Thunder damage on a failed save; 12 thunder damage on a Constitution save DC 15. Disadvantage to the save if the knights count as being made of inorganic material))

Map after moving
 
Nov 2, 2017
139
Ludwig is unable to resist the initial burst of fear from Crullus, and begins to rapidly hyperventilate. "Nope nope nope nope nope NOPE NOPE NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE-" alas, he nopes too fast and Ludwig's heart gives out, momentarily dropping him to the ground. He is resuscitated moments later and returns to concsiousness to see a now motionless Crullus in front of him.

"Yup." He rears back and takes two divine infused swings with his sword before moving back to a safer distance.

((EDIT: Forgot about portent. 15 + 6 for 21 on both attacks against paralyzed Crullus. First for 45 damage, Second for 43 damage. Updated map.))
 
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike

Mike

Member
Oct 25, 2017
2,043
Greater Seattle Area
((Heavy Knight A and B eat Sagishi’s attacks, but are still in it.))

((Hold Person is effective on Crullus))

((Spiders are charmed, but not any knights))

((Spider Swarms B and C are smushed. Heavy Knight B and Bow Knight A go down and each spawns three more spider swarms.))

((Heavy Knight A takes a Dodge action after moving down the map))

((Spider Swarms D-F move up the map toward Sagishi and Thosar))

((Spider Swarm A is charmed and doesn’t do much of anything))

((Crullus makes his Wisdom save and is no longer paralyzed))

((Bow Knight C attacks Sagishi))

Code:
Bow Knight B

To Hit: 1d20 + 4 = 14
((Heavy Knights C and D go after Ludwig))

Code:
Heavy Knight C Longsword Attack 1:

To Hit: 1d20 + 6 = 14

Heavy Knight C Longsword Attack 2:

To Hit: 1d20 + 6 = 8
Code:
Heavy Knight D Longsword Attack 1:

To Hit: 1d20 + 6 = 17

Heavy Knight D Longsword Attack 2:

To Hit: 1d20 + 6 = 26

Critical Damage: 2d8 + 4 + 4 = 13
The Endowed respond to Crullus’s summoning of fiendish internal forces with a corresponding increase in their lethality. Despite having weathered the attacks so far, the knights outside of Crullus’s circle of power are falling, and while they spider spawn that come crawling out of the armor is unsettling, they are nothing but mundane arachnids that crunch underfoot the same as any other.

Thosar casts a spell that halts Crullus’s movement while Galen performs a resuscitation on the fallen Ludwig before quickly turning heel and trying to escape to safety beyond Crullus’s sphere of influence. Ludwig takes the opportunity to deliver a pair of crushing blows that would surely fell any normal man, but succeeds only in driving Crullus to his knees as he regains the power of movement once more.

“Kill him!” he shrieks to his honor guard. “Bring me his head!”

In response, the two knights flanking him march forward, the same shadowy energy swirling about seeming to dance along their blades. Despite Ludwig’s cumbersome size and fatigue, most of their lumbering blows are easy enough to evade. Only the last makes contact, but even the does not do anywhere near the damage it could have done. But how much would it take to topple the J’Raffa a second time after having already done so once?

((Updated Map))
 
Last edited:

Nezumi

Member
Oct 25, 2017
817
Bad Soden am Taunus
Whatever force had pushed Sagishi to grow past his abilties vanishes as suddenly as it had come. In its place comes a crushing exhaustion that leaves him dizzy. The world seems to slow down in a sluggish haze and try as he might he doesn't seem the be able to move a muscle not even when an arrow pierces his shoulder.

((Well, no actions from me this round. Good luck guys.))