• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
Sagishi is unfazed by Keranos's little outburst his perpetual grin not wavering in the slightest. He shrugs.

"For all we know Hulna simply used the chaos to stage her little coup. If she hadn't closed of the city, trade might still be flowing and food would not have been rationed in the first place.

"I agree though. It's time to meet her and see what she has to say about all of this and after that we'll all look for a way to sort all of this out. One way or another."

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Keranos rolls his eyes. "Yes, of course. Based on all we know of Barrow and Hulna, that absolutely sounds like the most plausible scenario. It certainly had nothing at all to do with an ex-mayor full of enough hubris to create a gigantic statue of himself, nor did it have anything to do with an epidemic of destructive monster attacks, the results of which we have already seen with our own eyes."

He shakes his head and starts walking toward the mansion.

Last edited:

Eternal Song

Oct 31, 2017
((It's funny, because I got the idea that Hulna was a bit authoritarian to begin with. Not that that necessarily means anything in this particular situation.

Anyway, Galen's still a short distance away, watching in case anything happens (not that it'll do much good). He will join in when the party goes to meet with Hulna.))

Nov 2, 2017
Ludwig continues just standing around and looking conscpicuous as the group convenes. He finds himself disagreeing with almost every word out of Keranos's mouth. After all, better to starve with liberty than live under a tyrannical statist. At this point, he's going to make sure Skullcrusher sees this through whether her reasons add up or not, but as he's not sure how Keranos will handle another round of dogpiling after seeing how the last few days went, he keeps t himself.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Fhiess allows Keranos to leave earshot. His best attempts to make up with the avatar and try to convince him that he is needed didn't go over well; nothing he could say now could possibly mend their friendship. He frowns and rubs his chin as he explains to the others, "The former mayor thought highly of himself, but he was a harmless figure. I can't fathom him being an ideal leader during war time nor do I see him to blame for this mess."

He starts to walk to the mansion now opened. "Even if what I did was wrong today, I'm happy that I can make mistakes to the full of my ability- to make any outcome instead of tripping over my feet. This must be what confidence is: to do, regardless of what happens. In any case, we still have to find the essence, and perhaps we have just opened the gates to do so." He holds up the crystal in front of the mansion and peers.

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
Thosar ignores the back and forth between Keranos and Sagishi, this isn't the first or last of their spats and he sees little gain in intervening at this point. He falls in next to Fheiss nodding. "Indeed, I have to wonder if this Hulna person was right in bunkering down. I can't say she was wrong, not knowing the totality of the circumstances, but if nothing else we might be able to break a stalemate that seems to have settled."

With things as bad as they seem to have gotten, Thosar is recognizing that the party cannot take too long on this detour. Whatever events have been broiling in their absence, the social order is breaking down already. If they don't hurry, there may not be a kingdom left to save before their work is done... if they survive to that point. His complexion pales a bit, but he relays nothing to the others of his worries, they likely already know or suspect to some degree.

Nov 2, 2017
Ludwig puts a hoof on Fheiss's shoulder and says "Not to worry. It may seem more iffy now than when we started, but you're absolutely doing the right thing. After this conversation, the people here will be free of a strict ruler and have their lives in their hands again, that's worth any hardship, whether it be one we can work out ourselves or something left to the markets as we move on."

Whether Ludwig is oblivious to the threats they could face without rationing or just doesn't care given the option of dismantling the government is hard to say.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
Sagishi nods in the direction of Fhiess.

"If anything, you gave us the upper hand in whatever negotiation we might encounter now. Better to have a bloodthirsty mob at your back then having it before you, I'd say."

OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
While tensions simmer between the Endowed, it goes entirely unnoticed by the reveling populace. Indeed, now that Skullcrusher has given them license to make merry and does not, for the moment, seem to be making any further exhortations, practically all of the men are ignoring the lot of them, save for the occasional bewildered glance at Ludwig. But even he is no longer a wholly novel sight, as he has visited this city in a past that is not distant at all, but it feels like the lives of ten men have passed in the intervening time.

Nobody delays them as they navigate through the streets toward the mayor's manse. It grows increasingly visible as they approach, its architecture rising above the surrounding rooftops like a mountainous peak jutting from meager foothills. It is a structure of worn stone of a rosy shade that invokes a vague memory of the warmth of hearth fires, with gables shingled in red clay tiles. Surrounding it is a formidable wall of considerably less welcoming granite, topped with crenelations and men armed with bows and crossbows. There is only the one gate in, and it is one of recent construction. It still smells of the oak tree its planks were carved from, bounded in great heavy bands of iron that show not one speck of rust yet. The gate crack open only at the last moment as they approach, only as wide as needed to admit Ludwig before being shut behind them with great haste.

The courtyard used to be a garden, but that's difficult to tell anymore. There's no wasted space between the stockpiles of supplies and the training grounds sporting arrow-filled sackcloths stuffed vaguely in the shape of a man, to say nothing of the tents. The men within the walls are a decidedly different character than the conscripts who have sacked the city at Fhiess's urging; They're lean and muscled from years of combat training, and they regard most of the Endowed with a wary eye, but when their gaze alights upon Fhiess it seems filled with particular hostility. There are a lot of them, they are armed, and they hold the high ground in a steel-clad grasp.

A captain of the guard strides out from main entrance to stand at the top of a flight of stairs leading into the manse. He rests his hand in a seemingly casual posture on the hilt of his sword as he speaks loudly and clearly. "In case you are equally skilled in diplomacy as you are in not making a royal fucking mess of everything, allow me to state the obvious. You will surrender your arms. And before the tall one--no, not the llama, the elf--tries to get cute and argue semantics, for the purpose of this conversation that includes any material components or focus objects for the casting of spells. Do so, and you are guaranteed safe conduct while on the grounds so long as you do nothing that might injure or otherwise endanger one of my men. Decline, and you are free to leave. But under no circumstances are any of you going to appear in the presence of Mayor Stonecipher wearing anything more threatening than a boot. Push me, and I may reconsider even that much."

He crosses his arms as he skewers each of the Endowed, one by one, upon the daggers shooting from his eyes. "Any questions?"

Last edited:

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Their surroundings are imposing and cluttered. It is like stepping into a second castle modeled after a soldier's encampment. When the guard captain makes his appearance, Skullcrusher holds his arms wide, "Ah, this is an impressive fortification; not unlike like the ones back in Ruby Keep. I hope you are as proud of this settlement as you are intent to keep order."

He hands over his weapons. They were never of much use to him. He suggests, however, "My instruments can bring no injury -- unless an off-tune melody is cause for alarm."

Persuasion to keep his instruments: rolled 22. (13, 9)

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
Sagishi hides in Ludwig'a shadow, quickly rearranging some things in his bag. He unstrings his shortbow, placing the string in one of his pockets and has the bow length vanish in the folds of his cloak. A handful of arrows each joins his two emergency daggers in their concealment.
Once he is done he steps forward and makes a show of slowly unstrapping the crossbow from his back and placing it before the guards.
When he is done he takes a step back only to be met with the icy stare stare of the guards.
He comically slaps his forehead causing his fake bald patch to wobble slightly.
"I'm sorry, I rarely ever use this thing," he says as he unlatches the belt that is holding his rapier and throws it to the ground next to the crossbow.
Once he is done he lifts up his arms to show he is unarmed.

((Sleight of Hand after advantage through Inspiration: 26 (20+6) ))

Last edited:

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
Thosar glances aside a bit realizing his wand is showing in its holster, considering he's been made on that account, he doesn't try to conceal it. There are enough spells at his disposal without it for now. "That's a good eye you have there, captain. As you wish." He removes the thin length of oiled oak and delicately places it with the other weapons, then unbelts the short sword at his hip to surrender it as well.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Keranos can't blame the guards one bit for their venomous disposition toward the party, and in fact begins to subconsciously mimic it himself. He readily surrenders his Holy Symbol and, to avoid misunderstandings, every non-magical copy he has in his possession. He also gives up his little-used warhammer, his crossbow, and his full complement of bolts.

He rolls his eyes at Fhiess. He opens his mouth, intending to scold him, but then he decides these men are capable enough to see through the bullshit, and so there would be little benefit to completely breaking whatever level of trust remains between the two of them.

He stays quiet and waits patiently to be led forward.

Last edited:

Eternal Song

Oct 31, 2017
Galen rejoins the party as they approach the manse, but can't help but wonder if he should have remained separate when they are asked to hand over their arms. Perhaps he should have pulled Sagishi aside to sneak in?

In any case, there's no sense fighting this. Holding in a sigh, he pulls out and unstrings his longbow, carefully handing it over. "Be sure you take care of these, than," he suggests. "You may not like us, but remember we are still your mayor's guests." He removes his quiver and surrenders that as well before kneeling down to pull his dagger from its sheath, flipping it around as he rises to offer the handle. He gives Ludwig a nod.

"Will you be needing my walking stick as well?"

Nov 2, 2017
As soon as the captain of the guard begins making demands, Ludwig starts to reflexively say "Are we being detained?" When he says they can leave at any time, Ludwig mutters "Well, shit."

He looks around at the others, and seeing them all begin to disarm, takes his massive greatsword, sheathe and all, and drops it in front of the guards with a resounding thud. He pulls out a handful of similarly oversized pikes and drops them on top of it. As if adding a tiny cherry on top of an overflowing bowl of ice cream, his head goes into his satchel as he comes out with a small, wooden statue of a snake rearing up at the concept of getting stepped on. He places it on top of the pile of weapons. Glaring at the guard, he says "don't go losing them, now."

Eternal Song

Oct 31, 2017
((
As if adding a tiny cherry on top of an overflowing bowl of ice cream, his head goes into his satchel as he comes out with a small, wooden statue of a snake rearing up at the concept of getting stepped on. He places it on top of the pile of weapons.
Well, I had expected to see more resistance from Ludwig, but that right there is gold.))

Eternal Song

Oct 31, 2017
((Oh, yes he can. Unless they take his legs away.
Galen doesn't have any useful magic or anything, so he's out of luck there.
Do remember, Mike , he's still got stuff in a pouch attached to his belt. Since he's ignored it this whole time, it's worth a mention.))

OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
The guard captain sighs as Galen's question. "Do you honestly, really and truly believe that nobody in this company of men who have known nothing but a life of military service since they were old enough to hold a razor to their cheek knows what a gods damned quarterstaff is? Word of advice, but I suggest you wisen the fuck up between where you're standing and the front door, because Mayor Stonecipher doesn't suffer fools lightly.

"And you," he says wheeling on his heel to face Fhiess. "Instruments too. A harpstring can strangle a man every bit as well as a garrote wire. A flute can kill via ocular penetration as well as any knife. I don't care how innocent you say something is, it is not passing across that threshold without my say-so. And son, you're lucky I'm letting you in there with the clothes on your back and no flagellator riding your ass after the mess you've caused."

He watches Keranos and Thosar comply with an approving nod, and while he does not give the impression of being appreciative of Ludwig's attitude, he at least keeps his opinion to himself since the J'Raffa is, technically, obeying the orders given. For Sagishi, he reserves a scowl, having interpreted his "accidental" forgetting to remove his rapier as making light of his orders, never suspecting the degree to which Sagishi is truly working to undermine him.

((Galen and Fhiess have the opportunity to respond to the captain's verdicts on the items they asked for waivers on. If they're not going to press the issue, we'll keep going.))

Eternal Song

Oct 31, 2017
((Nah, Galen was just checking before handing it over.))

Galen can't help but respond with a friendly grin. "On the contrary," he offers, running his hand along the staff toward the floor and turning the stick toward the captain, "I brought it up on account of the potential issue it may cause, as it is most understandable you may see fit to relieve me of it. I have to commend you on your vigilance." With a chuckle, he adds, "I see where you come from in regard to musical instruments, though my young charge here is more apt to offer a musical performance than violence, and managed to talk an opposing party out of combat but a week ago. Nonetheless, your position is reasonable."

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
While the others are putting their weapons aside, Thosar looks around to try and notice anything off about the place or its people. As he gazes about, his vision passes Sagishi just in time to see him slide an unstrung shortbow into his clothing. Considering the scrutiny on the party as a whole, Thosar bites his tongue. Saying anything at this juncture would help no one.

((Perception: 1d20+5=25))

Last edited:
OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Once the party has divested itself of armaments to the captain's satisfaction, he ushers most of them inside while dispatching one of his men to lead Ludwig around the side of the building. Inside, the mayor's residence has been turned into an object lesson on the uselessness of luxury. All the furniture has been pushed up against the walls, and are heaped with rolls of canvas, heaps of sackcloth, and barrels of supplies, and Whimsey's baffling multitude of carved busts of himself are piled up in a corner, as out of the way as possible. The building has functionally become a combination of a barracks unit for the troops and a command center for the management of Remdormo's crisis response.

The nerve center of the operation is the dining hall, where the long polished ebony table and matching chairs have largely been left undisturbed, a window along the wall thrown open to admit Ludwig's head and neck. All along the walls of the room are slates depicting numbers and figures and graphs, most prominently one with a single line of red chalk running at a decidedly downward slant. Hulna sits at the end of the table conferring with various functionaries as they discuss something—or multiple somethings—out of earshot. She looks a bit more drawn and lean from her experiences, but is calm and collected, issuing instructions with exactitude. One by one, the men and women surrounding her are dismissed or dispatched until she alone remains.

For a long time, she does nothing but stare as she dips her bag of tea up and down in a chipped porcelain cup by her right hand. Just as the silence becomes intolerable and it seems someone must say something just to alleviate it, she speaks. "It is within my right to have you executed," she says, glaring at Fhiess and sipping tea. "You've committed sedition. Flagrant, spectacular sedition. An offense that carries the death penalty under times of martial law. And in case you're wondering, that is in accordance with King's Law, this is not some quaint provincial decree I've issued to consolidate power. But I am not going to, and do you know why? Because that would be foolish, and I am no fool. Unlike you I am not a hapless imbecile who decides that, boy oh boy, rationing is just too darned much to ask of a population when the Kingdom has fallen, commerce has ground a halt, and we lack the resources to maintain self-sufficiency. How dare anyone suggest that maybe, just maybe some hardship is going to be necessary to get through an unprecedented crisis."

Her coolness melts away as she delivers the keystone of her address. "And you had the unmitigated audacity to do this by coopting and parading around in the good name of my late husband, you feckless piece of gutter trash!"

As quickly as her anger flashed, her cool exterior reasserts itself. "In other circumstances, I might actually commend you on the depths you have sunk to do what you've done. There is a time and a place where that sort of thing is warranted. This, however, is emphatically not it." Standing, she walks to her chart depicting the downward trajectory of the red line. "This is our supply inventory," she says, grabbing a piece of chalk. "We were to abandon Remdormo and fall back to Stonegate when we got to… this level." She slashes a horizontal line a few inches below the leading edge of the graph. "Thanks to your antics, we now sit… here." She makes another slash just above the bottom of the slate board. "All that is left is what we have in this compound, plus whatever dregs might still be salvaged from the mess outside."

She sets the piece of chalk down. "You want to talk? We're going to talk about how you're going to be the voice to my words as I fix this fucking catastrophe you've landed hundreds of innocent souls in."

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Fhiess' composure is shaken. There was no way he could have predicted the citizens would spoil their own food, and he is treated as if this was his goal. But he had to do it. Had to prove that he isn't weak or clumsy- but this time his proof of strength had gotten everyone in trouble. If anything, is he any better than the young man that trips over himself and plays notes with a broken instrument.

He has to think of a way to fix this. There has to be a way to make the most of the future he placed the city in. He grasps the crystal knowing that it is needed.. then clutches it. "I've chosen to get to you through this way. There is something greater at stake and we need your help- the reason your supplies have been stifled so heavily to begin with." He places the crystal on the table, "we're trying to find people that can give light to this crystal to fight the darkness flooding this world. You might be one of them."

He steps back from the crystal. "My friends had nothing to do with this and they're more than capable of carrying on this quest. It would be more than enough to punish the one the people of Rendormo had taken to believing in."

Persuasion (enhance ability roll) to ease anger from the rest of the party: rolled 17. (8, 9)

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
((Edit: I was too slow. Disregard this post and see below))

Last edited:

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
Having little interested in politics most of what Hulna says passes through Sagishi's ears without penetrating his brain. Except for one phrase.

"Late husband?" he addresses the dwarf woman. "Last time we saw Barrow he was alive and well in Hammerfall."

There is genuine worry in his voice.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Fhiess perks up at what Sagishi asks. Even if Hulna's words hadn't weighed so heavily on him in the most challenging manner he likely would not have picked up on the crucial detail. He looks back to Hulna and nearly pleads, "Please, we must know what happened to Barrow. He was a dear friend to us."

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Keranos hangs out in the background, taking grim (and somewhat smug) satisfaction in the mayor's thorough dressing down of Fhiess.

He had intended to assess Fhiess's response before adding in his own input, but he wasn't expecting the bard to flounder as much as he is.

He steps forward, but not before Sagishi chimes in. And of course, the rogue is right to be concerned. But what if Hulna is the one with outdated information? Perhaps she had only been making assumptions herself, and Barrow was merely biding his time in a jail cell somewhere, unknown to his wife.

He decides to press forward. If Barrow's death had been confirmed to Hulna, she would not want to dwell on it. If news of his capture were meaningful to her, she would return to the subject herself.

"Your honor," says Keranos, "Please accept my apology for being unable to stop my associate from causing the damage he did. While there is likely nothing we can do to make this right in the short term, please at least tell us how we can help. We are at your disposal."

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
Ludwig scoffs openly at Hulna's dressing down of the group.

"Oh sure, hard times justify everything you did! I'm sure that's what you said about the curfew too. And the draft. Along with just making yourself new permanent emperor. But it's ok because there's not much food and some tyrannical laws before there weren't food said you could! Since you're using it as an excuse to be God queen, what have you actually done to try and get food flowing back in here besides force everyone to lowest possible levels over what's here?"

"You talk about mercy because of Barrow, well that's a two way street! The only reason we didn't get those peasants to siege the place, fight through the guards, and put you down the way one does with a well intentioned tyrant gone awry is because your husband - who as far as we know is still alive, maybe you know something we don't there - is a good guy. I know what the siren song of the state can do to people. So you want us to be your voice! Fine! We'll go out there and tell them you saw reason and stepped down. And now you're going to put all your impressive but misused talents toward restoring commerce and producing more food. Free of any state law."

Looking at Fheiss, he says "Why do you falter? She speaks exactly as one in her position would. Nothing has changed! This is still your magnum opus, a decisive strike against dictatorships everywhere, and a chance to let everyone here finally shed the weight of the state and make their own way! Do not sputter out here, you've gotten us this far."

((16 total on diplomacy/intimidate, now 24 thanks to Galen's advantage if applicable to anything))

Last edited:

Eternal Song

Oct 31, 2017
Galen holds up a hand, palm outward. "Hold up a minute; that's a bit much."

He takes a breath. "The point my long-necked companion is trying to make is that the measures you've taken, as well-intentioned as they may be, need to be backed by explanation. If you ration dwindling supplies, it works best for everyone involved to understand why, in absolute terms, this rationing is in effect. If you suspend elections for the office you hold "until the crisis has passed," you need to let the people know that the elections will be held once the crisis is over.

"As it stands, it appears as if you took advantage of the current situation in Telmur to come to some position of power. Seeing where you stand now, I can respect the steps you've taken and why you did so, but the office must be seen to be using reason in this time. You can't expect the people to follow you blindly; they need to understand what is happening, why things are the way they are."

((Galen's trying to smooth Ludwig's attack some, so Advantage to the giraffe's check, I suppose.))

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
((Hulna rolls a 3 on the social roll against Ludwig. Should that come up.))

Thosar is largely holding back in the deliberations thus far. His interest is obtaining news of events in the region more than who is in power. There may be some hope if he can put some of his knowledge to bear on the situation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Hulna blinks in surprise at the offerings of condolences and questions at Barrow's apparent demise. "Dead?" she echoes. "I didn't say he was dead, I said he was late. He was supposed to be back weeks ago."

As she speaks, Fhiess produces the crystal to see if he can get a reading off her. The crystal remains dull and sluggish when in the proximity of Hulna. Whatever her formidability, she is not Endowed.

She weathers Ludwig's tongue lashing with Galen's supporting argumentation unscathed and unfazed. "Of course it justifies everything I did," she replies evenly. "We are in the midst of a crisis, which requires a response from someone with knowledge of how to manage a crisis. Rational self-interest does not scale to a societal level, partly because everyone's best self-interest is ultimately at the expense of everyone else's, and partly because people are ultimately not rational. They are ruled by emotions, and if anything are more prone to making bad decisions right now. I, however, am probably literally the only person outside of Hammerfall even remotely equipped to handle this."

"You demand I bring food. Bring it from where? There are no harvests in the field. We cannot fish the river to feed a city. I must resume commerce? Resume it with whom? Even supposing trade was active, the only thing worth trading are food and supplies, which are in turn impossible to trade because no one will make a deal that leaves them more impoverished than when they began. The survival of the very city is not a 'market' to be decided by avarice and opportunism. If you disapprove, you are free to petition to be put on the ballot when we are able to resume free and fair elections once again.

"And you," she says, pivoting her attention to Galen without warning, "presume a great deal. What on earth would lead you to believe I did not do exactly as you have prescribed? Do not mistake me for an elected politician, I am a policy maker and a practitioner of realpolitik. The difference is subtle, I will grant, but the bottom line is that I do not seek power, I seek the most practical means that the greatest good may be accomplished."

Returning to her tea, she views the group over the top of her rim and gives Keranos a subtle nod of acknowledgment. "Now are there any further tantrums to be thrown, or are you ready to listen to wisdom and help mitigate the fallout from this fiasco? Seems only fair that you should."

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
With the others having said their peace, Thosar adds his voice. "Given the severity of the situation, I can see the reasons for your actions. Considering how low on supplies you are at this point, I'd imagine evacuating now would be prudent unless there are additional factors which we are unaware. And to be fair, we would be unaware of them as we've been on the far side of the Forgerun mountains for some time." Thosar claps a hand on Fheiss' shoulder. "Our young bard's overconfidence aside, he means well and I think he would be amenable to helping put out the fires he started and easing your way along should that be your aim."

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
Fhiess picks the empty crystal back up and holds it in his palm. The emptiness he sees is quickly flooded with tears welling in his eyes. "I- I did this all for nothing, didn't I? I caused all of this hurt to do nothing. I did nothing to help save the world, or prove myself. I-..."

Eternal Song

Oct 31, 2017
Galen gives no response to Fhiess' breakdown; they need to get through this meeting, then maybe, should time allow, they can return to that subject.

"It won't do to dwell on how I have come to this conclusion save for offer the suggestion that you make sure it is clear beyond the initial announcement that there is a reason for your policies. While I understand that I can be wrong, you need to keep in mind that, given the circumstances in which you came to office, it is far to easy to draw these conclusions.

"I do not believe any of us had the intent to sweep in and actually gain the support of the city as it seems has happened, but to get your attention while learning the actual state of things here. For the populace to latch onto my companion as they have was, as far as I can tell, unforeseen, as are their actions after the fact. Now, I would think all of us here have an interest in fixing this city, perhaps making it stronger than it has been before.

"We can agree to come to an understanding, I am sure."

((Even if Galen is wrong on some points, he can do that; he wasn't in Fhiess' discussion.

Insight on the mayor: [7]+6=13))

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
Sagishi is instantly relieved when Hulna reveals that Barrow has indeed not passed away since their departure from Hammerfall.

"That was some really unfortunate phrasing there. If you talk like this all the time maybe you should not be suprised people end up confusing you for a tyrannical autocrat," he says.

OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Hulna's demeanor softens after she has apparently said her piece. "The whys and wherefores of how we have arrived at this point are ultimately immaterial," she says, brushing side Ludwig and Galen's criticism with a wave of her hand. "Dwelling and recriminating on the past will accomplish nothing in solving the problem currently facing us."

She gestures to get earlier chart. "If we march for Stonegate, somehow maintaining a relatively swift place on starvation rations, we will run out of food entirely perhaps a day away from Stonegate. Not particularly problematic in most circumstances, but after what we will have to endure, these men are likely to already be at death's door. There won't be any foraging to be had one we enter the pass, either. What we carry with us into the mountains is all that we will have.

"What we require are two things: Firstly, we need to bring up our margin for error. Realistically, we'll run out of supplies several days before making it to Stonegate, we have to find a way to either come up with more, out do more with less. There's some opportunity for hunting between here and the pass. But while I have bowmen, they aren't hunters. They're city folk who know how to nock an arrow, which isn't the same thing.

"Secondly, we need to sell this to them. This is, perversely enough, the highest morale had been in a while. If their 'Skullcrusher' says 'go,' they'll go. The challenge will be to maintain it along the way, because things will absolutely grow worse than they already are. We can at least dangle the prospect of salvation at Stonegate, people can endure much of there is a definitive end point."

She folds her hands together and rests then on the table. "I'm open to ideas."

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
Thosar rubs his chin.

"In my archaeology days, I would purify mushrooms and water to sustain my party the few times we ran out of supplies. If there is any old or tainted food and water that would otherwise go to waste, I can restore it to edibility starting tomorrow. This should widen the acceptable list of what we can gather and hunt for."

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
The grieving elf is quick to lash out against the idea, tears streaming down his face with the weight of his failures being swung around haphazardly through his words, "I won't do it! I'd only somehow be leading Rendormo's people to a new death trying to undo yet another failure!"

Last edited:

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
Thosar puts a hand to his face, then uses that same hand to give Fheiss a smack to the back of his head and shouts."Stop wallowing!" He continues after a breath. "You say you want to undo your failures and be appreciated? You already are. You single handedly saved hundreds of lives in the North, including all of us, and were instrumental helping bring down that tower!

Yes, you caused some havoc in this city with a half cocked plan feeling full of yourself, but now you have a chance to make it right and save lives again! The people of Remdormo are doomed staying here. Between ourselves and Hulna's soldiers, we should be able to handle any hobgoblins on the way, but not without someone to rally the poeple. We. Need. You." He points a finger on Fheiss' chest to accentuate the past few words.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
"Thosar is right," Sagishi chimes in after the wizard has said his piece. He puts a hand on the bard's shoulder and gives it a reassuring squeeze. "I know you didn't plan on becoming a political figurehead, but it looks as if you have to play the role of skullcrusher a little bit longer." He chuckles. "Good thing you refused the Barrow disguise." He points at his own fake bald head. "It gets pretty hot under this thing after a while." He looks at the tear streaked face and smiles warmly. "I gotta need to fix this up again, before you talk to the people though."

He turns to Hulna. "Other then being the personal stylist of my over eager friend here, I will gladly be of assistance in teaching more people in the the use of bows so that we have more hunters available. I'm sure my other friend here," he points at Galen, "will gladly share his excellent survival skills." He pauses a moment before he says the next bit. "One other thing... If you haven't done already, you might want to think about reaching out to the criminal elements in town. I can't say for certain, but they might actually have resources stashed away. Now getting them to share them might be a different beast all together, but it is worth a shot."

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
After Hulna finishes her pitch, while the others quibble and/or feel sorry for themselves, Keranos goes in the metaphorical tank. The pieces of the puzzle are all there, and he is sure that once they are arranged properly, the solution will become clear enough for him to present to the others. If only they would be quiet for a....

He gasps, claps his hands together once loudly, and points at Hulna. "You need to step down!" he says, with seemingly paradoxical excitement.

He looks around at everyone, and a gigantic smile paints his face. "Don't you see? It's the only way! As you said, Your Honor, this is the highest morale has been since the crisis started. What better way to crush that than to bring the town's hero to heel, under your ruthless, authoritarian boot? No, no - Fhiess can't act as your agent. It simply wouldn't do.

"And you'll need to make a spectacle of it." He starts pacing back and forth, thinking as he goes. "A declaration that you are ceding power to Skullcrusher. Or perhaps a fake head on a stick. Something like that. Make it showy. Then quietly disappear. No need for imprisonment or anything messy like that."

He whips his head around to look at Fhiess again. "As far as you're concerned, everything is going exactly according to plan. And as you'll reveal to everyone with the utmost confidence, the next step in that plan is, and has always been, to make an exodus from this sorry town and venture toward glory and salvation in the fabled land of Stonegate!" He makes a frame with his hands and spreads it out at mention of the city's name.

"And to facilitate that plan," Keranos continues, getting more and more amped up, "You have recruited two Clerics of Keranos, the reborn God of Storms, who can miraculously restore any and all spoiled food to its pristine and nurtritious state."

He whirls around dramatically. "But wait! Powerful as they may be, they cannot simply conjure food out of thin air. They will need to enlist an army of foragers - the townspeople themselves! The wise and sagely Skullcrusher will tell the people to scour the town for any and all spoiled food, and hunt it for rats and other vermin which they would ordinarily never even consider consuming. Have them rummage through the local landfill. Once the food is purified, then consume it they will, for the only way to attain salvation is through sacrifice!"

He pauses to consider each of the other Endowed.

"Galen," he points to the hunter, "As soon as we're all done here, use the Sending Stone to solicit help from the Rangers. Tell them we've thousands of refugees who require assistance. See what they're willing to provide. Then, you'll go hunting, and when you do, you'll take a long the most able bowman in the city; I expect that most of them will come from Hulna's men. You'll train them as you hunt your prey. I'm sure you'll be able to take it from there.

"Ludwig," he continues. "We'll need four or five large, sturdy wooden vats. Circular, with a diameter of ten feet, and with wheels that can be pulled by pack animals. These will be used to collect and store food and water to be purified. Since the town is to be abandoned, there is no shortage of material to work with, and I am sure you'll be able to pull labor from the townsfolk.

"Sagishi. I am not sure yet what your optimal role would be. Perhaps assisting Galen with the hunt? Perhaps influencing public opinion in Fhiess's favor? And you probably don't want me telling you what to do anyway. I'm sure you'll figure something out.

"Thosar. As I hinted at earlier, you and I will be on food and water purification duty. Perhaps you can use your divination magic to assist us on our travels in some capacity as well.

"We'll bring along all the pack animals, and in the beginning we will use them to transport very young children and the elderly. However, eventually the animals not being used to pull cargo will have to be slaughtered for food, and other arrangements will have to be made for those who have difficulty traveling.

"And finally, I suggest that we hold on to any and all monster hides that we find, or kill, along the way. Though it may be distasteful, we may ultimately be forced to consume them when the need becomes most dire."

And Hulna, he magically broadcasts into the mayor's mind. You are not a dullard. I am sure you're aware that just because you've officially given up the office of mayor, you will in reality be pulling strings and running everything behind the scenes. I trust that giving up your office will not be an issue, so long as Fhiess is a good little puppet?

Keranos looks at the mayor and pauses for a few seconds, and then speaks. "Your Honor, as much as it may pain you to give up your office, you are nothing if not practical and mindful of the greater good. Surely you see that handing over the reins to Fhiess is the best way to ensure the survival of the citizenry, yes?"

He looks to each party member, plus Hulna, hoping for feedback.

Nov 2, 2017
Ludwig's face fills with horror and outrage as one by one, the party seems to buy into what Hulna's pitching. Almost shouting, he says "NO! Fheiss, do return to the ways of a dhura'gar! You have done so much! Come so far! Do not let this charlatan crush you, you were lead here by the hand of the free market itself! This is the greatest application of your talent yet! Your magnum opus!"

"And you," he says, looking at Hulna. "Your honeyed words and references to a crisis may persuade the others, but I am not so easily swayed! Pulling a 'well you won't survive without me thanks to the situation we're in now, guess you're stuck with me' is such a common dictator move it's not even funny! Let's assume for a second this isn't a power grab and you meant every word you said. Fine. Then give up every drop of power you have and accept fault for the situation the town is in. Do that and maybe with some spinning about what power and corrupting influences can do, the populace will overlook your deeds and evacuate as best they can. But anything is better than letting you stay, your reign of fear ends today, one way or another!"

Ludwig is ready to keep going, but his jaw goes slack as Keranos interjects and makes his pitch. The carpet someone pulled out from beneath him, Ludwig says "Uh... well... I mean, if she steps down, yeah, that all sounds good? I can certainly get to building, and if we go that way, I can purify some food and drink myself should you two need extra help there."

Noisy Ninj4

Oct 25, 2017
"Ludwig, I thought you were against organized leadership over people. If Hulna steps down and Fheiss takes the position, then is he not a dictator himself in your eyes? If you can't accept that Hulna has a role to play in this, then you've shown yourself a hypocrite!" Thosar then adresses the larger issue of Hulna's position. "Someone will have to lead after after we arrive at Stonegate and Fheiss cannot stay with these people forever. If Hulna makes a show of accepting Fheiss' leadership but is not rebuked for her hard work, then she can be reinstated peaceably once we've gotten to our destination unless there is a better option at that point."

Nov 2, 2017
Ludwig rolls his eyes. "Last time I checked, Fheiss doesn't plan on settling down with everyone here and staying behind after this is done. He was going to free these people and leave them to their own devices. So no, there's nothing hypocritical about that. And Fheiss, even you did decide you want to rule, I don't think you were planning on imposing martial law, so that would make you the lesser of two evils. I wouldn't be happy about that, but it would be an improvement."

Looking to Thosar, he says "Again, not hypocritical. And I don't buy that someone HAS to lead after we're gone. That's some bold statism right there." And with a look towards Hulna, he says "But a peaceful solution for you has been set out that seems to let the evacuation happen as you more or less planned. If these people want you to keep ruling them when all is said and done and prop you right back up, then I think they're a bunch of idiots, but that's their prerogative."

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
A loud yell suddenly erupts.

"WAIT!!!"

The crestfallen Skullcrusher pushes himself from the ground and holds his arms out, "There's not going to be any of this 'ceding power to Skullcrusher' or 'overthrowing the Tyranny'. I ultimately have to help the people where I've failed them, but I have no interest in taking the seat of power- even temporarily, to do it."

He takes a deep breath, then wipes a tear from his drying eyes, "But Keranos is right. If I am to speak to the people and encourage them to make for an exodus, I cannot be seen as in cooperation with Hulna."

He paces around the room a bit, pausing for thought, "If everyone is going to live upon the wilderness then we'll need to plan accordingly to the geography lining the roads; we need shortcuts and sources of water along the way- preferably a lake the city's fishermen can use."

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Keranos makes eye contact with Fhiess.

Keranos transmits to Fhiess's mind. It will all be for show. Hulna may not officially hold the office of mayor anymore, but she will be pulling the strings behind the scenes. We need to present it this way in order for Ludwig, and the rest of the city, to be okay with it. I made similar assurances to Hulna through telepathic communication as well. It's going to be alright.

Eternal Song

Oct 31, 2017
As this exchange builds, Galen crosses his arms and -unless it is indicated he should not- leans against the wall, listening to each idea and argument, waiting for a period of silence in which to speak.

((There's been enough going on, I figure Hulna is ready to respond, and Galen has something to say after.))

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
After receiving the thoughts from Keranos he discreetly casts a message cantrip as if making his whispering and pointing at Ludwig seem like he's acting with uncertainty,indecisiveness, and making an idle hand gesture as he collects his thoughts.

I'll figure out how to play off the evacuation as part of a revolution.. after we leave Hulna's ear shot where she can listen. It will be easier to avoid the hypocrisy of becoming a tyrant myself in that case.

Nezumi

Oct 25, 2017
Hessen, Germany
When Keranos starts talking without apparently paying attention to what has been said already, or why would he just repeat the things Sagishi had just said himself only mere seconds before, Sagishi's brows furrow with each word. It isn't even Keranos dissmissing his usefulness— the thief has become quite used to that by now— that annoys him the most though.

"No, I don't need you to tell me what to do. In fact I'm pretty sure no one does, actually and I think it is pretty rich of you to use this tragedy to promote that little imaginary cult you got going. Don't get me wrong that purifying plan is good, but using Thosar's talents and sell them as your own to feed your pompous little delusional mind is probably the most arrogant thing that has come out of your mouth up to now, and believe me, I had a lot to choose from."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Claire Delune

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
((A lot's been thrown out, let me know if you have an open questions I haven't answered))

As everyone spitballs their ideas, Hulna stands from her seat and moves from slate to slate around the room, revising figures and graphs in accordance with the offered ideas. She has a few notes and comments.
  • The elderly, women, and children were evacuated in a previous wave, all that remains are able-bodied, fighting-age men. An exact census would be difficult, and there's bound to have been some quiet desertions that have gone unnoticed, but a reasonable estimate is that there are more than one thousand men, but less than two thousand.
  • The criminal element has not been consulted. She doesn't have a channel to communicate with them, and she's not certain that whatever they have to offer would be worth the price they hope to extract. Most likely she thinks they'll hunker down in their bolt holes and hope to await an end to the crisis before their pilfered supplies run out. But it couldn't hurt to ask.
  • She doesn't see the use in teaching people how to use a bow. There are already plenty of men who can strike a target at range, what they don't know is how to read a game trail to find a target in the first place. She holds no hopes of making master rangers of them all, but hopes a crash course could be of some use.
  • The people who can't use a bow can be trained in foraging for nuts, berries, roots, mushrooms, etc. Especially if we have the ability to render edible things that would otherwise be lethal.
  • Collecting rats is lateral thinking that she appreciates. There is the issue of very few, if any, of the current population being actual rat catchers, but if there's one thing no city lacks, it's rats. They just need a reliable means of discovering them and killing them.
  • Fishing is probably not practical. It's time-intensive and requires remaining stationary for extended periods of time when they will literally be marching to beat the clock.
  • There's no need to worry about leaders or rulers once Stonegate is reached. Stonegate is the seat of Telmurian power in Westreach and is administered by Crullus. He probably won't be happy to see a legion of hungry mouths appear on his front doorstep, but he's an honorable man who won't turn them away.