zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Heh. Is it bad if my first thought is I want the Tetris board to be bigger and have less screen space dedicated to crazy visualizations? This makes me think of websites with a tiny, fixed layout that's 800 pixels wide being rendered full screen on an HD monitor.

Good to see Ubisoft isn't strangling Tetris anymore, though.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
First I get Lumines on Switch in a couple of weeks and then a few months later this on PS4. Now all I need is for Nintendo to announce a new Panel de Pon or Meteos game and it'll be the most epic year ever.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I find it weird Sony itself isn't on here. Random thought.
It's a small 3rd party game of a 3rd party IP they don't own that isn't going to generate a lot of sales.

Sony won't pay for it, it only will help them with marketing with a few actions like this one in exchange for some exclusive stuff (the whole game or the VR version, total or temporal).

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Can I buy the song? I want to buy the song. It's a fantastic song. WHERE CAN I BUY THE SONG?!?!?

oggob

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney, Australia
Lumines is the best Tetris game that isn't actually Tetris.

So now we actually get a real Tetris game, with the visual styling of Lumines, in conjunction to having a Lumines soundtrack that what looks to be synchronised the onscreen visualisation of something like Rez/Child Of Light.

Very much want! So much want right now!

I watched the trailer on my phone and it was great, the song and narration made it a super strong trailer. Since watched a 4K version on my work monitor and it was glorious!

I do hope it comes to more devices though, I'd happily take a stripped down version for portable gaming (eg: drop some of the background visualisations, but leave the music and core gameplay field)

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
CriminalLameDove-size_restricted.gif

...It's beautiful.

After playing Rez Infinite Area X this is exactly what I dreamed they would make... the music & visuals from that trailer are just, perfect.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
thats a beautiful trailer, based on a very interesting study about the human mind.

Loved it. Its a shame I won't be able to play currently, but will buy as soon as I can.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in this.

Has there ever been an outright bad Tetris game? Wasn't there some dodgy 3D game back in the day? Can't think of one I've played I've not loved though. The concept is just perfection.

Mipmap

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Fantastic trailer.

Never thought a tetris trailer could make me so emotional.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
im more interested in the gameplay in the trailer, where you match the top rows only. hopefully its not just normal tetris gameplay with a grid like the screens

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im curious. Is the phrase/brand "tetris" not trademarked?

DAY 0 on the game but I wonder about the name.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Lumines is the best Tetris game that isn't actually Tetris.

So now we actually get a real Tetris game, with the visual styling of Lumines, in conjunction to having a Lumines soundtrack that what looks to be synchronised the onscreen visualisation of something like Rez/Child Of Light.

Very much want! So much want right now!

I watched the trailer on my phone and it was great, the song and narration made it a super strong trailer. Since watched a 4K version on my work monitor and it was glorious!

I do hope it comes to more devices though, I'd happily take a stripped down version for portable gaming (eg: drop some of the background visualisations, but leave the music and core gameplay field)

This happened with me. Watched it on my phone and thought it looked awesome. Watched on my TV when I got home and it gave me goosebumps...Tetris of all things giving me goosebumps? I'm beyond sold on this. And I can't wait to see it in VR!

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I looked at the announcement thinking it was just another Tetris game only for the trailer to slap me on the face 50 times to tell me how wrong I was.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Trivia:

This is when Destructoid interviewed the guys at the Tetris Company: Henk Rogers and Alexey Pajitnov at E3 2009.

https://www.destructoid.com/interview-with-alexey-pajitnov-and-henk-rogers-on-tetris-135296.phtml

HR: Lumines, great game. I mean, it's funny, cause the guy, his name is Mizuguchi, he's a great friend, and Mizuguchi came to me a few years ago, before Lumines, and he said "I've got this great idea and I want to make Tetris on the PSP" and at the time, I was kind of stuck. I had promised the rights to Sony, we were in the middle of negotiations, and I couldn't really give it to him. He goes "Ok, well, I'll have to create my own game." And that was it, man [laughs]. It's like "dang! I should have let him have a shot at Tetris!" And now we're in the same position again. The exact same position. We had breakfast with him this morning, and it's like "uhh, I hate to say this, but we already have somebody licensed for this, for, PSP 2 or whatever it is." [Sighs] It can't be helped [both laugh].
AP: He'll come up with another great game.
HR: Yeah, he'll come up with another huge game.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, Sony should have waited and revealed this at E3. The trailer builds up to the title reveal at the end, and it's ruined by Youtube.

If Sony just put the raw 4K trailer video up on their own PSN store as an exclusive, I reckon it would be a lot better by driving a lot of traffic to PSN. I'd feel a lot more connected to the PlayStation community this way and people could share the announce trailers in communities and social media. Getting notifications on mobile through the PS app and then casting the trailer to your PS4 would be amazing and no longer would amazing trailers such as this one be ruined by some bad YouTube compression.

Addendum: One thing I always wonder is what PlayStation vue is like. I like the idea of a TV service with live TV over IP, but I don't think it's been properly implemented yet, although vue sounds close. How Long does it take for a video/channel to show up after you've selected it? Is it like regular TV where the channels show instantaneously as you flip, or does it need to buffer/load and will start when it's ready? Cos there is a very big difference between the two of those in terms of quality of experience. Streaming trailers and videos for games on PSN store is abysmal. A large percentage of times, the video fails to load and at other times there are other problems like lack of sound. What I'm trying to say is, if that is the kind of streaming quality I could expect if I tried vue, I wouldn't subscribe, not based on that performance. Now, I'm pretty sure vue has better/more modern technology than what they use on PSN store perhaps. Or are they all coming from the same servers and use the same backend software delivery service?

Anyway, if they use PSN as a platform for announcing new games/trailers videos, and used "vue" technology to deliver these videos, it might be a good advertisement for the quality of their vue service and night help Sony grow that side of their business more effectively.

Edit: I dunno what I'm saying, my video was probably just bad quality cos of the shoddy WiFi connection in the hotel I'm in. The 4K one is probably way more amazing than what I saw.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Enhance doing Tetris, I was already 100% in for, but that trailer is Rez Level X levels of mind blowing. And it looks like it might be BEAT based Tetris?!

OwEt61hZs31JmlrVDK4iQ4t8YsI=.gif