• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they do this - I'm still so confused.

I figure if they tack the multiplayer as a bonus for buying some $100 version of Black Ops IIII I wouldn't be surprised. But not even an attempt to be a cash grab?

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
I mean, the mechanics, new features, and large selection of viable weapons are a big part of what made MW2 so popular, not just the maps. The thought of trying to make due with the MWR Rangers on a MW2 map just hurts me at the core.
I dunno, MW2 without Lightweight Commando Marathon morons sounds a lot better.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the mechanics, new features, and large selection of viable weapons are a big part of what made MW2 so popular, not just the maps. The thought of trying to make due with the MWR Rangers on a MW2 map just hurts me at the core.

Hold up, they put the Rangers in MWR? Damn I should pick this up

Stone Dudeman

Oct 27, 2017
Hey! I happen to resemble that remark! The only nuke I ever got involved me running around Favela with a knife.

Honestly, one of the things I loved was how so much of MW2 was stupidly overpowered in it's own way. Stopping Power'd FAMAS, akimbo 1887's, Commando Tac-Knives, Intervention Quick Scopers. It was the battle of the cheese.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Hold up, they put the Rangers in MWR? Damn I should pick this up

Yeah, but you've got to grind hard (or pay hard) to get them, and they're CoD4 shotgun tier. Often times it takes all four shots to kill a single person. Going by the hard numbers, a single pellet of the MW2 Rangers' six-pellet blast does, at max, 75 damage, and at minimum, 35. By comparison, MWR's Rangers are at max 42 damage, and at minimum... 8.

Sound like a drab affair with very few truly viable playstyles. Very, very CoD4.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but you've got to grind hard (or pay hard) to get them, and they're CoD4 shotgun tier. Often times it takes all four shots to kill a single person. Going by the hard numbers, a single pellet of the MW2 Rangers' six-pellet blast does, at max, 75 damage, and at minimum, 35. By comparison, MWR's Rangers are at max 42 damage, and at minimum... 8.

What a disappointment. Thanks for the info.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Seems the game will be announced Monday, as Activision was streaming for some unknown reason tonight.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CallOfDuty/comments/86pvuv/mw2_all_the_information_i_gathered_during_the/

Announcement coming soon, before March is over (so basically next week)
Announcement is apparently "not CoD related, or is it muahaha" (some kind of tease)
Before the stream ended, he said "Love you guys, especially (enter twitch user name here)." That user had written something along the lines of this message, "do you like/should we be excited for April 30th?" (this to me confirms April 30th as release date)
When he held up MW2 night vision goggles, he said they were without multiplayer. (either joking with us, or this is a direct confirmation of SP only)
When asked if we and our friends would like the announcement, he said if you are sitting together, maybe in a hot tub, or if you and your friends like ski slopes (maybe an indication of MP being included, with direct reference of the first mission, Cliffhanger)
He says 50/50 on if the announcement has a trailer with it
Says numerous times that we will be happy with what it is and that they (Activision) tries very hard to please us
At the very end of the stream, he says if I'm not here Monday for the stream, you guys will know why. Before this, he said the announcement should come before their next stream, which will soon happen as often as twice a week or more
Says that nothing is confirmed and that Charlie Intel posts can be wrong

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
never thought i would see Era up in arms because a game is single player focused only

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
I mean. I want MW2 for the SP.

But I also wanted fucking Multi. It seems like an odd choice, but as long as the SP is there and as good as MWR was, I will buy it.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Seems the game will be announced Monday, as Activision was streaming for some unknown reason tonight.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CallOfDuty/comments/86pvuv/mw2_all_the_information_i_gathered_during_the/

It's everything and absolutely nothing

I just hope AV doesn't muck this up. Even if MP is included, I worry a bit if it's not Raven developing. Besides a few unsightly tweaks (mainly footstep sounds and spawns), they did a largely marvelous job with MWR, and are well suited to the task in my book. Another entity handling it leaves the quality more or less up in the air again.

Avenger54321

Oct 27, 2017
Gurnee
*slowly puts money back into wallet*

I'll wait for a confirmation from Activision first. If no Multiplayer is announced, I'll wait til it goes down in price.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
never thought i would see Era up in arms because a game is single player focused only

2010 - 2015 was when people in our community were on the multiplayer hate train. Mainly cuz publishers kept having that shit tacked onto places it didn't belong like Ass Creed and Tomb Raider.

But once Overwatch came out people started gettin more lenient. Now with Battle Royale genre on console even moreso.

OP
OP
poklane

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

They're 100% gonna announce WWII's next DLC. DLC2 for CoD games are usually released in the middle of April but with BO4 releasing 3 weeks earlier than usual they're gonna have to accelerate the DLC schedule. Reveal Monday or Tuesday, release April 10th is my guess.

Oct 25, 2017
They're 100% gonna announce WWII's next DLC. DLC2 for CoD games are usually released in the middle of April but with BO4 releasing 3 weeks earlier than usual they're gonna have to accelerate the DLC schedule. Reveal Monday or Tuesday, release April 10th is my guess.
If it is just WW2 DLC they are really trying to piss people off.
I saw a clip of the Activision stream, dude is literally sitting on a couch with the MW2 NVGs and base directly sitting there on the couch next to him. It looks ridiculous.
AjxWXQT.png

Last edited:

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I too am shocked that they don't want to split the players base again.

IW was still hugely populated even with MWR and the scathing reception its multiplayer got. Population--at least on consoles--is a non-issue. What does a SP only release get them? Some one-time purchases at a lower price than a full release, with no avenue for microtransaction money. Would they really spend the money and dev time redoing all those textures, models, animations, etc. etc. just to leave it at the campaign? I mean, MW and MW2 both used a lot of campaign areas for multiplayer maps with a few tweaks. Hell, you can even see the Rust map in the background during the final showdown with Shepherd. On top of all of that, the multiplayer is easily the most desired thing out of this release. I'd wager that the large majority of potential buyers would not buy it without the multiplayer being included.

It'd be a truly mystifying decision, to say the least.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In case you didn't think they could possibly fuck this up more than the MW1 remake.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I mean, in some evil, ridiculous way, I can understand it.

MW2 was one of the very very first online multiplayer shooter that introduced so many cosmetic features that are absolute standard today. Weapon skins, titles for your game card and emblems for your game card, but back then, everything unlockable for free inside of the game for doing in game challenges. Most of that would be microtransactions today, better not remind people that all these cool cosmetic things were supposed to be inside of a 60$ release 10 years ago.

And to be honest, the way WM2 did it was so one of a kind, it still stuck inside my hand until today. The balance of challenges, ingame notifications for completing them with popup for what you unlocked was so addicting, no game after that did it that good and satisfying ever again. I miss it.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I mean, in some evil, ridiculous way, I can understand it.

MW2 was one of the very very first online multiplayer shooter that introduced so many cosmetic features that are absolute standard today. Weapon skins, titles for your game card and emblems for your game card, but back then, everything unlockable for free inside of the game for doing in game challenges. Most of that would be microtransactions today, better not remind people that all these cool cosmetic things were supposed to be inside of a 60$ release 10 years ago.

I mean, MWR had most of those things you mentioned. They were either untouched or expanded upon for free, with more new--I stress new--stuff included in loot-boxes, and you could directly buy whatever you wanted if you had accumulated enough in-game currency. That said, the grind rate for getting those loot boxes was way too long.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's incredibly silly to "hope" this is true just because you're in a very small minority of people that doesn't care about the multi, which to the majority of people who buy COD, is the main reason they buy it.
It's silly to hope a game you like gets a remaster? That's pretty fucking dumb. I want a remaster of MW2. I don't really care if it lacks mp, that's not my problem. Not my fault you don't get what you want.

What I like about CoD is just as valid as whatever you like.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I mean, MWR had most of those things you mentioned. They were either untouched or expanded upon for free, with more new--I stress new--stuff included in loot-boxes, and you could directly buy whatever you wanted if you had accumulated enough in-game currency. That said, the grind rate for getting those loot boxes was way too long.

Sure, but the point is, as you can see it perfectly on your own example, they would change something on the system and at least try to microtransaction it, they definitely would do and that alone would piss me off. I mean, if they wouldn't change something about the stuff that was in the game before and just add things, that would be a solution I guess but it's still sad to se what they did with MWR.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Sure, but the point is, as you can see it perfectly on your own example, they would change something on the system and at least try to microtransaction it, they definitely would do and that alone would piss me off. I mean, if they wouldn't change something about the stuff that was in the game before and just add things, that would be a solution I guess but it's still sad tosee what they did with MWR.

But... what you described as "a solution" is exactly what they did with MWR. The stuff that was in the original and was locked behind challenges/progression was still locked behind challenges and progression. They even added new stuff that was locked behind challenges and progression, rather than lootboxes. Every gun had a gold version, for instance, instead of just six of them, and there were new challenge camos on top of the original ones.

To put it as plainly as I can:
Nothing that was in the original Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was locked behind any microtransactions in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered.

How is that sad?

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its easy to see why theyre not remastering the multiplayer. Because everyone would play that instead of the next cods multiplayer.

playXray

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Do we know if "multiplayer" also includes the campaign co-op? That was my favourite part of the game, so would be gutted if this were missing.

Oct 25, 2017
Other than selling us the same DLC again but more expensive and 2 DLC weapons that were overpowered for a few days,
I feel MWR handled it pretty well.

Even the DLC weapons I didn't mind because they were relatively cheap cost and you got decent scrap.
You could even cheat* the supply drops pretty easily.

*the seasons didn't have that many items each so all you had to do was get the winter supply drops, within a few weeks of release you'd have everything.
After that keep picking winter and every supply drop is scrap, you would quickly have enough to buy all the weapons.

the new challenge weapon skins were great(sand, green, nickel, etc)
Kits were an amazing addition
Uniform and faces as well and didn't interfere with the original aesthetic.

If they did add weapons to MW2R I will be perfectly fine with a certain one that was completely missing from MW2 multiplayer

Its prominently featured in the story and was in the museum map.

Last edited: