• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Llazy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
prime 4 will be at the game awards, nintendo didnt give out tickets for it for no reason. Maybe a larger look at the janauary event.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely makes sense that this would fall in January as it seems likely that Nintendo will have stuff to show at the Game Awards. That plus Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Zelda DLC in December would make for too busy of a month!

For predictions, I'm really expecting a full blowout of the online services, VC, and possibly an OS update that streamlines things. I'm also thinking we'll finally get more streaming services like Netflix.

Game-wise, I expect release dates for Kirby and Yoshi as well as dates/windows for the early 2018 Nindie games. I wouldn't be too surprised to see the announcement of some new games like Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Smash 4 (ported), or Luigi's Mansion! (At most, I think we'd see two of those).

Finally... I think we'll see some new Switch accessories and possibly JoyCon colors.

its_Ditz

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Smash Bros. pls
But no "coming this year" nonsense, I really need it asap

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this'll be a general Nintendo Direct like some are thinking, if only because I don't expect much of anything from Nintendo for the 3DS next year. I think this will be a special Switch themed presentation similar to the one we had earlier this year. Except this one will be pre-recorded and presumably a bit shorter since it is a pre-recorded presentation.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this'll be a general Nintendo Direct like some are thinking, if only because I don't expect much of anything from Nintendo for the 3DS next year. I think this will be a special Switch themed presentation similar to the one we had earlier this year. Except this one will be pre-recorded and presumably a bit shorter since it is a pre-recorded presentation.

If you are talking about the E3 presentation I can assure you that the January Direct will be longer.

Oct 27, 2017
If you are talking about the E3 presentation I can assure you that the January Direct will be longer.
I'm talking about the January "Direct" as well. The January Presentation this year was over an hour long. The next January event will probably be 45 minutes, if only because it'll cut out much of the bloat associated with a live stage presentation.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I believe they are referring to the Switch presentation back in January where we got the launch date, price, game announcements, and so on.

I'm talking about the January "Direct" as well. The January Presentation this year was over an hour long. The next January event will probably be 45 minutes, if only because it'll cut out much of the bloat associated with a live stage presentation.

Thanks ! And yes I agree, it will probably be around 40mn. Above that and it will be hard to keep the momentum going.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, time to initiate the hype train. On the agenda, I propose:

• Animal Crossing Switch
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
  • Meaty Metroid 4 trailer
  • Meaty Yoshi Switch trailer
  • Kirby Switch info
  • Pokemon Switch info
  • Octopath Traveller info
  • Smash 5
  • Bayo 1+2 & W101 ports
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions port
  • Windwaker HD port
  • Sunshine remaster
  • More reveals for 3rd party support
  • Massive UI overhaul, eshop music and full online rollout
  • Super minimal teaser for Odyssey 2/BotW2
  • Info on Hollow Knight & Owlboy
  • Continued new reveals for upcoming content for Splatoon 2 and ARMS

billysea

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
Jan Direct was quite expected. Nintendo need to show how to keep their momentum. The 1st year of Switch was amazing and we knew pretty much nothing before the direct in Jan this year.

So far we only seen actual footage of Kirby and Yoshi for Year 2 and those are some 2nd or 3rd tier Nintendo franchise. They need to show something more substantial like the next Metroid, Smash Bros and Pokemon for Year 2. And perhaps some hardcore franchise like Bayonetta and Fire Emblem. Glad we know they are all in development.

Eliseo

Oct 25, 2017

• Animal Crossing Switch
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 (not happening)
  • Kirby Switch info
  • Pokemon Switch info (wait for E3)
  • Smash 5 (it will be smash 4 port with 3ds content)
  • Bayo 1+2 & W101 ports
  • Windwaker HD port (nope)
  • Sunshine remaster (lol)
  • Super minimal teaser for Odyssey 2/BotW2 (Odyssey dlc sure, too damn early for another Zelda)
FTFY

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

• Animal Crossing Switch
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
  • Kirby Switch info
  • Pokemon Switch info
  • Smash 5
  • Bayo 1+2 & W101 ports
  • Windwaker HD port
  • Sunshine remaster
  • Super minimal teaser for Odyssey 2/BotW2
  • Maybe
  • I sure as hell hope so
  • Maybe a tiny gameplay tease, but nothing major considering that the odds of it coming next year aren't that good.
  • Agreed
  • Agreed
  • The Pokémon Company does shit on their own terms. And while yes, they have given news for already-revealed Pokémon games to general Directs, I wouldn't expect the reveal of Pokémon Switch in a general Direct. We'll likely find out about Gen 8 via a random trailer release or a dedicated Pokémon Direct.
  • Agreed
  • I sure as hell hope so, & it could potentially happen
  • Yes please, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up
  • Unlikely, but welcome
  • Eh, 50/50, but I'd be cool with it
  • Unlikely, but welcome
  • Probably
  • Yes to the online rollout, not sure about the UI overhaul or the eShop music. The point of the Switch UI is to be simplistic.
  • Maybe Odyssey DLC, but it's far too soon for an iterative sequel for either game.
  • Probably
  • Agreed

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
And it was only a week ago that people were arguing over the need of a Direct in December. TGA will be used as a buffer for Nintendo to drop some announcements like Zelda: BotW DLC and then lead way to a strong opening of 2018 with a packed Direct. Nintendo is a business of habit and they seldom stray from their established path.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The January direct needs to happen very early in the month, and it needs to be *meaty as fuck*.

We don't have a clue what 2018 looks like for the Switch and it's December (essentially).

Cool to see another game slated for the Switch though, EA. You have a tentative pre-order from me as long as you put the whole thing on the damned cart (or it's $20 or less).

• Animal Crossing Switch - Gotta happen soon, get those mobile eyes looking at the Switch.
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 - I'd love this, but I doubt it.
  • Meaty Metroid 4 trailer - Again, I'd love it, but I doubt it. I think this is the big E3 game for Nintendo in 2018.
  • Meaty Yoshi Switch trailer - Sure. It's already been announced with gamplay.
  • Kirby Switch info - Sure... again. It's been announced already.
  • Pokemon Switch info - No way. We got a dude in an office last time. More time in the oven.
  • Octopath Traveller info - Yes. Demo already out. Need a hard date here.
  • Smash 5 - PLEASE NINTENDO. Port Smash 4 with all the 3DS content and a few more characters.
  • Bayo 1+2 & W101 ports - PRETTY PLEASE?
  • Tokyo Mirage Sessions port - Eh...
  • Windwaker HD port - I don't think so. Was a lark that they were working on to get used to HD dev. Happened to sell well.
  • Sunshine remaster - If it's part of Gamecube VC... yes. One off... Eh.
  • More reveals for 3rd party support - Of course.
  • Massive UI overhaul, eshop music and full online rollout - I don't see a UI overhaul, but Online Blowout has to happen.
  • Super minimal teaser for Odyssey 2/BotW2 - Odyssey DLC maybe. We aren't getting anything sequel wise for either games for YEARS.
  • Info on Hollow Knight & Owlboy - WITH A CHERRY ON TOP?
  • Continued new reveals for upcoming content for Splatoon 2 and ARMS - Sure.

Last edited:

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
3DS:

Sushi Striker
SMT: Strange Journey
Radiant Historia
Pokemon Tropical Shuffle
Captain Toad 3D
Pocket Soccer Club
Dillon 3
Mana Collection
WarioWare: Amibo-a-go-go

Switch:
Octopath Traveller
Kirby Star Allies
Yoshi: On the Flipside
Fe
Nintendo Online
VC plans
Pikmin Frontier
Fire Emblem: Resolve
Indiegame reel - Owboy, Hollow Knight, Inside etc..
Capcom: Megaman Legacy, MonHun XX
Sega: Yakuza 0, Haatsune Miku somethingorother, Persona Q2
Konami: Wario DLC for BombermanR
Bamco: FigherZ (In development), Tales of Null
Bethesda: Fallout Shelter, Wolf2 date
mid-tier stuff like DaganRompa
Metroid Prime 4 first gameplay.

Nuts? Yes. But it's the first direct on here, so I think it deserves it.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
The January direct needs to happen very early in the month, and it needs to be *meaty as fuck*.

We don't have a clue what 2018 looks like for the Switch and it's December (essentially).
We didn't know their strategy for the Switch a year ago, and it worked out remarkably well for them. Of course, they won't have 45 days after the direct like they did last January before things take off, but keeping us waiting has done them well thus far. I wouldn't be too nervous, I have a feeling they know exactly what they are doing.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We didn't know their strategy for the Switch a year ago, and it worked out remarkably well for them. Of course, they won't have 45 days after the direct like they did last January before things take off, but keeping us waiting has done them well thus far. I wouldn't be too nervous, I have a feeling they know exactly what they are doing.
I'm not worried, per-se. I just don't want them to drop the ball. Come out in 2018 swinging just like 2017.

The Giant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since Nintendo has been doing 1 direct a month lately. Anyone thinks it's gonna be a Nindies direct this month?

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Bayo 3 and W102.

I hope to get something unexpected from SEGA like an Alpha Protocol sequel or SoA

And Bandai I expect DBF to be announced, and a tease of something else, maybe Tales of or... RIDGE RACER!!!

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want some spicy new amiibo game related news. And more Switch icons...maybe unlock more Switch icons with an amiibo. I want to "switch" from Mii to Daisy.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
prime 4 will be at the game awards, nintendo didnt give out tickets for it for no reason. Maybe a larger look at the janauary event.
I'd only really expect a reveal for the Champions' Ballad DLC for BotW at The Game Awards. MP4 at TGA would be godlike, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect neither Next Level Games or Retro Studios as they've never announced anything outside of E3.

I am hoping for another 3rd party exclusive and/or new franchise though!

Since Nintendo has been doing 1 direct a month lately. Anyone thinks it's gonna be a Nindies direct this month?
No I don't. They've done one in late February, and one in Late August, exactly 6 months apart. It seems to be a bi-annual production usually tied to a conference or event (August being PAX West?, Feb being the launch of the Switch)

I fully expect a new Nindie Showcase around GDC, because that'll be another 6 months since August and tied to a game developer convention like PAX

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
I want Shin Megami Tensei 5, FROM's Switch game, aaaaand a remake of Parasite Eve, just because.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Jan Direct was quite expected. Nintendo need to show how to keep their momentum. The 1st year of Switch was amazing and we knew pretty much nothing before the direct in Jan this year.

So far we only seen actual footage of Kirby and Yoshi for Year 2 and those are some 2nd or 3rd tier Nintendo franchise. They need to show something more substantial like the next Metroid, Smash Bros and Pokemon for Year 2. And perhaps some hardcore franchise like Bayonetta and Fire Emblem. Glad we know they are all in development.

We won't know anything about Pokemon until May or June if it is indeed a Fall 2018 title. If it is pushed back to 2019 then we may not hear anything until much later in the year.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Well, they'll probably be announcing their plans for the online service. Meaning this could mean the announcement of a big multiplayer game.

COUGHCOUGHSMASHBROSPORTCOUGHCOUGH

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I feel like they have way too much to cover to be talking about Fe at all... Which leads me to believe the direct might not be the information dump we expect.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This direct needs to be a big one. We need plenty of game announcements and Nintendo need to go into a lot of depth about how they're evolving and improving the Switch's online features.

I don't think that's an unrealistic expectations. The 2018 Switch line up and online service is a mystery and they need to both be addressed if they want to build on sales momentum going into what is currently looking like a very dry period.

Status
Not open for further replies.