• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 28, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Also worth mentioning that's not really the same game. Structurally and mechanically it's the same, but gameplay encounters are significantly changed and in some cases even level design changes can be quite large.

Both "games" are worth playing, but by and large I prefer scholar. There's a lot of people who don't though, which is worth pointing out.
I never played dark souls 1 or 2 so I won't know the difference anyways. I just have played bloodborne and dark souls 3 and loved them both, so I was waiting for Xbox 1 versions of Ds and ds2 to pop up. Didn't realize the ds2 one wasn't just a 360 port.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Would love a director's cut of Dark Souls. A remaster wouldn't be much of anything with it already backwards compatible and on PC. Maybe why it's only listed on PS4.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Demon's doesn't hold up IMO. Dark barely does, but most of the ideas in Demon's were improved upon (and reused but in better ways) in the later games. If you're going to Demon's having played the others you're probably going to be let down, I was in the same position. It does have some cool areas though, and World Tendency which I admittedly didn't mess with too much.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, it's the best Souls game, but if this remaster is happening, it probably still won't match what's available on the PC. I highly doubt that it would run at more than 30 fps, given that higher framerates can break the game in a couple of spots (easily circumvented on PC with dsfix, though). Meanwhile, DeS is available only on a single relatively ancient system, and that version hasn't exactly aged all that well visually. It'd be nice if fans of the series who never got to play the first game had the chance to with a remaster.
It probably will run at 60 if DS2 did. Having the first, and much older game that came out later not run at 60 while the sequel did on the same hardware would be a PR disaster and probably tarnish sales.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Demon's doesn't hold up IMO. Dark barely does, but most of the ideas in Demon's were improved upon (and reused but in better ways) in the later games. If you're going to Demon's having played the others you're probably going to be let down, I was in the same position. It does have some cool areas though, and World Tendency which I admittedly didn't mess with too much.

Demon's has some brutal blemishes to be sure, but it's easier to clean up than you think. Aside from general visual and performance facelifts (and good lord does DeS need some performance optimization), there's a few simple nips and tucks that can make Demon's Souls an immensely more palatable game.

-Get rid of item burden
-Add option to proceed to NG+ manually upon beating the final boss
-Let players roll through the 5-2 muck
-Adjust world tendency, or make it easier to sway/manipulate, so getting full black/full white events and items aren't such a pain
-Clean up the animations to get those sword swings and hits as satisfying as DS1 (granted this would be a much more costly thing to change)

The greatest thing holding back Demon's Souls is probably it's lack of content compared every succeeding Souls game. I don't think getting the Giant Archstone is a reasonable expectation, and even on a first playthrough DeS is sub-20 hour long game. Something like DS2's remixed NG+ enemy placement would be hugely welcome.

Also the boss fights are generally much simpler and easier than than bosses from later games, especially BB and DS3. Players who cut their teeth on bosses like the Nameless King, the Demon Princes, and Ludwig will probably plow through Flamelurker, Maneaters, and False King without too much trouble.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
WHAT THE FUCK, SONY?

We wanted DEMON'S SOULS!

Floyd-Mayweather-Fail.jpg
No, I did not.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Those are strange parameters. All of them follow the exact same style. a majority of the sound assets are the same(outside of the guns), the level design is the same, the entire game is the same outside of new graphical assets. I've played all of those games from start to finish and there's nothing to separate them.
There's a significant difference between what was done with Halo 1/2 Anniversary and SotC than Gears UE; they didn't just upres the textures in Halo 1/2 Anniversary or SotC, they remade them and then some, along with a slew of other changes/additions. They may have the same engines underneath, but so much was added to qualify it as a remake whereas remasters usually aren't as resource intensive.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a huge fan of remastering widely available already-HD games from the previous generation that would be easily available if bothered with backwards compatibility (see Xbox), but it is what it is. At this point they should make a DS trilogy + DLCs package - I know 2 and 3 are already available on current-gen consoles, but a collection would be tempting.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I see everyone complaining about no demon, and some who are thankful for not having demon. I say, why not both? Come on Sony.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure why some people even doubting the Xbox version. Of course it will be there in the west.

It holds up pretty well. The world tendency stuff is very unique to it and can't be experienced anywhere else.

And nothing beats Tower of Latria level and more people should experience that greatness.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Imma make a guess real quick. So I think the switch could run all dark souls preety good. So my guess is this will be announced tommarow as a 3rd party game at the presentation. It's either this one or all 3 but it's definitely on the switch. FROM still haven't announced what there game is that their working on is so I feel a remaster makes sense to learn how the system works and stuff.

Deleted member 1777

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Can't say I agree tbh, it's by far and away still my favourite Souls game personally. In terms of Dark Souls Remastered I'd love to see a redone PC port alongside the PS4 version.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah dunno if I believe it. If it's releasing this soon why hasn't been announced?

Also, Remastered? no cool title like Scholar of the First Sin?

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dark Souls 2 does this new thing where instead of making coherent interlocking levels with smart enemy placement, they... don't do that. And instead you end up with a literal lava level that you get to by riding an elevator up a windmill.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
May? That's still pretty far off... why not March?

Dec 8, 2017
I wouldn't doubt it. Dark Souls 1 hasn't been included in any of the Steam sales for about a year now, which would make sense if they're planning on releasing a remaster in the near future.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I've seen some of the playthroughs of DeS and I really don't think it holds up, at least not without improvements.

AlexCampy89

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Wasted chance.
Only three major ps3 exclusives didn't make the cut on ps4, and they are: Siren.Blood Curse, MGSIV,and DeSouls.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
This is my personal GOAT and I played it to death. That said, I have no desire to replay the game just because of some better visuals. So no hype here. But for the people who haven't played it yet, this would be cool because everybody has to experience that game.

Chewie

Nov 29, 2017
Hungary
I would have preferred Demon's Souls as well, since I lack a PS3 and not really planning to get one in the near future (or ever), but I'm okay with this as well. Considering how much I hated it when it came out on PC and then gave it another chance later down the line, it has easily became one of my favourite games ever.

Functional Blighttown, ahoy!

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I wish it was gonna be something similar to the Halo anniversary remasters, instead of just higher resolution Dark Souls using all of the old assets

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It probably will run at 60 if DS2 did. Having the first, and much older game that came out later not run at 60 while the sequel did on the same hardware would be a PR disaster and probably tarnish sales.

I dunno. From what I understand, From put in a lot of work on their engine in Dark Souls II to get 60 fps functional from the get-go (and even then, there were problems, i.e. durability). For them to do the same for Dark Souls, a game released six years ago, to get it running at 60 fps without the physics becoming funky, just sounds like a pretty big investment for a remaster. There would be a lot of disappointed fans, no doubt, but maybe Bamco figures a simple, low-effort, low-cost up-rezzed port of the original would ultimately make the most profit.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I dunno. From what I understand, From put in a lot of work on their engine in Dark Souls II to get 60 fps functional from the get-go (and even then, there were problems, i.e. durability). For them to do the same for Dark Souls, a game released six years ago, to get it running at 60 fps without the physics becoming funky, just sounds like a pretty big investment for a remaster. There would be a lot of disappointed fans, no doubt, but maybe Bamco figures a simple, low-effort, low-cost up-rezzed port of the original would ultimately make the most profit.

Granted, I know nothing about video game development or coding, but there's VERY few areas in DS1 that are actually wonky at 60 FPS. IIRC, the only thing that actually changes is jump/roll distance is reduced slighly. So, its harder to make certain jumps. Bt, they can compensate for that ingame. THe whole thing feels so much better at 60 that there's no way I can ever go back.

Rivi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damnit I read that as demon souls lol.

Although I'd love to see if they mess with the movement and fix hit box issues or if it'd be just a visual upgrade.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Are y'all ready for the Dark Souls Remastered to spread to every system ever? You thought Skyrim was bad...

Get ready for Dark Souls Remastered Calculator Edition.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
If this was a 60 FPS version where I didn't get weird input bugs with controllers or frame drops during heavy alpha scenes... I'm down. I'd love to actually have a playable version of this game.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Are y'all ready for the Dark Souls Remastered to spread to every system ever? You thought Skyrim was bad...

Get ready for Dark Souls Remastered Calculator Edition.

No joke would love playing Dark Souls from the calculator at work.

May is 4 months away & it's a Remaster.we could not hear about it until April.

1 month isn't enough even for a remaster. Remasters still are announced with plenty of time.

from likely has little to do with it(bamco likely is pulling the strings here to an outsourced dev to get some pocket change)

It's weird because they have Code Vein, but I guess that's scheduled for the second half of the year? (dunno if it's has been said already, not following the game).

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's safe to say this is fake