• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
That Forza Horizon Hot Wheels expansion would probably do really well on Switch.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized, the online userbase of many multiplayer games will grow. I wonder how this will affect games like Gears 4 or Halo 5.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Have you actually read the thread? The reasons and benefits to both Microsoft and Nintendo have been spelled out several times, and it's much more than some simplistic "for the gamers" thing.

yeah, i did read it, so thank you for pulling the good old-fashioned 'HAVE YOU EVEN READ IT?'.

given microsoft gets some spotlight for the xbox game pass app and a few of their games on nintendo systems...i dunno i just wonder what scarlet will be.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
MS is moving to being a service provider, think Netflix of games. They want their Service on every and all devices. Gamepass going to the Switch opens up a huge customer base for MS.

Nintendo will also likely win as well, as they likely will get a cut of the gamepass sub, and get more people to sign up for NSO.

Also those that want portable gamepass might buy new switches.

It seems like a win/win for both companies

thank you for the reply. yeah, i can kinda see that. like i said in another reply, i just wonder what the scarlet will be like in light of all of this.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Halo, Gears, or Forza coming to Switch? I don't buy that.
I just don't feel MS is willing to straight up give a full port of their flagship franchises.
I feel like there's some truth to the MS/Nintendo meetings (and something coming out of it) rumour, but it seems like everyone and their mother has jumped on this and claim they know something now (see: Starfox Racing from last year - one outlet broke it and then everyone claimed that they heard something).

I hope there's truth to this, but will believe it when I see it. Totally appreciate that gaming will be moving towards a post-console world anyway.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, if I'm Sony I don't make any rash move. I continue to invest in making PS5 the console to be at. Great system, affordable price ranges, lots of game support. They just can't afford to take the foot off the pedal is all.

Yeah, I don't think it's anything for them to panic about, but if they do feel that subscription/cloud based gaming is a medium-long term reality, they really need to make moves to keep people playing in their walled garden.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Holy shit i'm loving this! Hope it ends up being true! Now the actual possibility of a Microsoft character in Smash is not that crazy anymore!

At least I hope the port of Cuphead is true. The Switch audience is perfect for this type of game.

Last edited:

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
MS is moving to being a service provider, think Netflix of games. They want their Service on every and all devices. Gamepass going to the Switch opens up a huge customer base for MS.

Yep, and for a lot of Nintendo gamers it's going to be their first real taste of a fully functional online system where you can develop an identity, friends list, social media integration, achievement points etc. Good way to get them invested and emotionally locked in before Sony or Google does.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gamepass and Switch are a true god-tier combo. The single best element of Xbox conjoined with the best console? Fuckin hell yeah

OP
OP

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Does this mean we'll see Mario/Metroid/Zelda on Xbox? I mean, Nintendo has to give something back to Microsoft in return for allowing Microsoft's games on Switch... right?

Would love if Metroid Prime 4 was an Xbox exclusive rather than a Switch one.

Yes I believe so because Nintendo understands that subscription services ( like Gamepass, PSN, Playstation Now or PSN ) is where gaming is going. Nintendo will make much more money with games on Gamepass than any other way they may money today.

As I said esrlier, Sony is making 12.5 bullion with PSN. That's more money that ALL the revenue Microsoft or Nintendo did in 2018 respectively.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo will make much more money with games on Gamepass than any other way they may money today.

Unless Nintendo has a tier of their own within Gamepass, and all the money of that tier goes to Nintendo, maybe. If not, then this wolud not be true.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Unless Nintendo has a tier of their own within Gamepass, and all the money of that tier goes to Nintendo, maybe. If not, then this wolud not be true.

What if none of the money from gamepass goes to Nintendo and as part of the deal you need a Switch Online account to access Cloud and the games on gamepass streamed from there.

I mean I should think 99.9% of the gamepass experience on Switch with be streamed online. MS and Nintendo keeping their profits separate.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes I believe so because Nintendo understands that subscription services ( like Gamepass, PSN, Playstation Now or PSN ) is where gaming is going. Nintendo will make much more money with games on Gamepass than any other way they may money today.

As I said esrlier, Sony is making 12.5 bullion with PSN. That's more money that ALL the revenue Microsoft or Nintendo did in 2018 respectively.

I doubt this. The only way this will happen is if physical hardware is basically kaput by streaming services.

Then they may be inclined to work exclusively with MS' service over say Google or Amazon. But in that case "console wars" are effectively meaningless anyway. Playstation is likely gone in that type of a future too and "XBox" is really just an app probably by that point not actual hardware anymore.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if none of the money from gamepass goes to Nintendo and as part of the deal you need a Switch Online account to access Cloud and the games on gamepass streamed from there.

I mean I should think 99.9% of the gamepass experience on Switch with be streamed online. MS and Nintendo keeping their profits separate.

Requiring Nintendo Online, is something that is for sure happening. I dont see it any other way.

And IF Nintendo puts their games in Gamepass, then Microsoft for sure is gonna have to pay something. They surely already pay to every company that has a game in Gamepass.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The one thing you neglect in these things is how Sony gets all that revenue. PS+ and digital sales is the bulk of it all, and Sony doesn't ever seem to really discuss or give numbers for PS Now at all. This is money paid directly to Sony and royalties of every game purchased on their platform. Sony is getting a majority of their money from their closed ecosystem and bringing people into their closed ecosystem.

And as I said earlier too, the reason PS+ is even paid for is because of all the money they left on the table when Xbox 360 was raking in all that cash for their paid online service. And NSO exists now and lots of people are also buying lots of games. We saw a large bump in their last quarterly result for digital with NSO out for only a couple of months. Sooo Nintendo is doing what you're wanting.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Requiring Nintendo Online, is something that is for sure happening. I dont see it any other way.

And IF Nintendo puts their games in Gamepass, then Microsoft for sure is gonna have to pay something. They surely already pay to every company that has a game in Gamepass.

Ohhhh I didn't understand that people thought Nintendo games are coming to gamepass. I don't think that's going to happen.

I think Microsoft simply wants as many platforms as possible to support Gamepass via XCloud. I don't think Nintendo games will go on Gamepass.

I think any games like Ori and Cuphead are either good faith gestures/experiments, two - just getting some Microsoft owned studio games on a platform that's no longer considered a rival, or some kind of deal to finally get GoldenEye HD on Xbox (and Nintendo to get Rare games on the N64 mini). Or a mixture of all three.

I genuinely think Microsoft see the Switch more on the iPhone department rather then a direct competitor, and the advantage of the Switch is that it's a non competitor that shares some of Xbox's audience, which means it's ripe for lots of collaboration.

Nintendo needs permanent subs to their online and XCloud with gamepass could be a way of both companies coming out on top. So I don't think MS are taking a big risk by throwing a few first party bones at Nintendo, and a Smash Character (free advertising). Even if the perceived reward of the GoldenEye rights seems very little return on Microsoft's end. Their long term goal of getting the audience that crosses over with Nintendo's is probably worth the effort regards collaboration.

I don't even think Microsoft even pushed to get Nintendo IPs on their Gamepass service. Since those who want Nintendo IPs and own an Xbox can now get both on the Switch.

I think the typical scenario in MS's mindset is:

- Xbox gamers play on their Xbox at home (and Nintendo games on the Switch)
- Xbox gamer meets up with a friend and join public WiFi or even goes round their house
- Both play Gears 4 at a Café or of at friend's house play online co-op, one on their Xbox, one on their Switch in handheld (kickstand mode)

Plus maybe with say GoldenEye HD, someone on the Switch plays with Xbox players. I don't think MS want Nintendo games on there when the Switch can act a safe portable Xbox without them spending money on hardware. Obviously I think XCloud games will require an Xbox controller.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Why would Microsoft put GamesPass on the Switch and not put their games on it? I would assume it's an all or nothing thing.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018

- Xbox gamer meets up with a friend and join public WiFi or even goes round their house
- Both play Gears 4 at a Café or of at friend's house play online co-op, one on their Xbox, one on their Switch in handheld (kickstand mode)
- People who have both consoles play games with cross progression on both consoles (think Siege for example) through xCloud, and then also buy DLC and stuff profiting Microsoft directly when made through the Xbox Store

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ohhhh I didn't understand that people thought Nintendo games are coming to gamepass. I don't think that's going to happen.

I think Microsoft simply wants as many platforms as possible to support Gamepass via XCloud. I don't think Nintendo games will go on Gamepass.

I think any games like Ori and Cuphead are either good faith gestures/experiments, two - just getting some Microsoft owned studio games on a platform that's no longer considered a rival, or some kind of deal to finally get GoldenEye HD on Xbox (and Nintendo to get Rare games on the N64 mini). Or a mixture of all three.

I genuinely think Microsoft see the Switch more on the iPhone department rather then a direct competitor, and the advantage of the Switch is that it's a non competitor that shares some of Xbox's audience, which means it's ripe for lots of collaboration.

Nintendo needs permanent subs to their online and XCloud with gamepass could be a way of both companies coming out on top. So I don't think MS are taking a big risk by throwing a few first party bones at Nintendo, and a Smash Character (free advertising). Even if the perceived reward of the GoldenEye rights seems very little return on Microsoft's end. Their long term goal of getting the audience that crosses over with Nintendo's is probably worth the effort regards collaboration.

I don't even think Microsoft even pushed to get Nintendo IPs on their Gamepass service. Since those who want Nintendo IPs and own an Xbox can now get both on the Switch.

Plus maybe with say GoldenEye HD, someone on the Switch plays with Xbox players. I don't think MS want Nintendo games on there when the Switch can act a safe portable Xbox without them spending money on hardware. Obviously I think XCloud games will require an Xbox controller.

Agree on all points.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
The one thing you neglect in these things is how Sony gets all that revenue. PS+ and digital sales is the bulk of it all, and Sony doesn't ever seem to really discuss or give numbers for PS Now at all. This is money paid directly to Sony and royalties of every game purchased on their platform. Sony is getting a majority of their money from their closed ecosystem and bringing people into their closed ecosystem.

And as I said earlier too, the reason PS+ is even paid for is because of all the money they left on the table when Xbox 360 was raking in all that cash for their paid online service. And NSO exists now and lots of people are also buying lots of games. We saw a large bump in their last quarterly result for digital with NSO out for only a couple of months. Sooo Nintendo is doing what you're wanting.

I think you don't see the big picture here.

Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo know the way technology is moving forward - with the Cloud and 5G - Services, is where the money will be made, mainly with subscriptions and monetization.

When it comes to the "Netflix of videogames", probably the ultimate goal in the Gaming Industry, new players are coming in town as Google ( they will unveil their console at GDC ) ; and Apple and Amazon are for sure next on the line. So the big 3 needs to make moves, big moves, or they'll miss the train !

Sony and Microsoft do have the necessary infrastructure to pull this off, but Nintendo does not. So either Nintendo invests billions to be able in the future to provide a Netflix like service as PS Now and X Cloud ; or they do a partnership with a big player in the Cloud, as Microsoft. I think they chose the latter option.

Yes the Switch could sell 100 million units, but that's the limit where Nintendo would make money. With a partnership with Microsoft, Nintendo will have access to probably 2 or 3 billion devices through X Cloud : Phone, Tablets, PCs, TVs and Wearables. That's another ball game !

You really think that extent of that partnership is to have have Cuphead or Rare games on the Switch ? Come on now. Nintendo and Microsoft are thinking about the money they will make in the next decades !!!

Let's not kid ourselves or be afraid to tell things are there are : the Industry is simply changing in front of our very eyes. What's happening with this Microsoft and Nintendo partnership is huge ! And we don't see the full picture yet...

So will Nintendo have games on Xbox platforms ? My answer is YES, because it just makes business sense. They'll make more money with an Installed base of 2 billion devices than one of 100 million.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you don't see the big picture here.

Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo know the way technology is moving forward - with the Cloud and 5G - Services, is where the money will be made, mainly with subscriptions and monetization.

When it comes to the "Netflix of videogames", probably the ultimate goal in the Gaming Industry, new players are coming in town as Google ( they will unveil their console at GDC ) ; and Apple and Amazon are for sure next on the line. So the big 3 needs to make moves, big moves, or they'll miss the train !

Sony and Microsoft do have the necessary infrastructure to pull this off, but Nintendo does not. So either Nintendo invests billions to be able in the future to provide a Netflix like service as PS Now and X Cloud ; or they do a partnership with a big player in the Cloud, as Microsoft. I think they chose the latter option.

Yes the Switch could sell 100 million units, but that's the limit where Nintendo would make money. With a partnership with Microsoft, Nintendo will have access to probably 2 or 3 billion devices through X Cloud : Phone, Tablets, PCs, TVs and Wearables. That's another ball game !

You really think that extent of that partnership is to have have Cuphead or Rare games on the Switch ? Come on now. Nintendo and Microsoft are thinking about the money they will make in the next decades !!!

Let's not kid ourselves or be afraid to tell things are there are : the Industry is simply changing in front of our very eyes. What's happening with this Microsoft and Nintendo partnership is huge ! And we don't see the full picture yet...

So will Nintendo have games on Xbox platforms ? My answer is YES, because it just makes business sense. They'll make more money with an Installed base of 2 billion devices than one of 100 million.

Wtf Im I reading, 2 -3 billion ?!!!.

Dude, you are not talking reality. Netflix the leader in video streaming, after all these years has "only" 139 million of suscribers.
Spotify, the leader in music streaming "only" has 191 million of suscribers, and thats counting the free accounts.

Your 2 billion talk is nonesense.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Wtf Im I reading, 2 -3 billion ?!!!.

Dude, you are not talking reality. Netflix the leader in video streaming, after all these years has "only" 139 million of suscribers.
Spotify, the leader in music streamers "only" has 191 million of suscribers, and thats counting the free accounts.

Your 2 billion talk is nonesense.

Next time read my post before jumping to ridiculous conclusions. I'm talking potential market of 2 or 3 billion devices ( pc+tv+tablet+consoles+wearables ). It's a potential, not the numbers of subscriptions you would get of course.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Next time read my post before jumping to ridiculous conclusions. I'm talking potential market of 2 or 3 billion devices ( pc+tv+tablet+consoles+wearables ). It's a potential, not the numbers of subscriptions you would get of course.

Yes, I understood your post, and its still nonesense.

Your potential numbers are not gonna happen in decades.

The leaders in streaming who have been in this for years are not even 200 million, and you are telling me that Nintendo is gonna put their games in Gamepass where you could play in everything, and thus making the only thing that is selling the Switch now, invalid ? for something that its gonna take decades to come ?

Like I said, nonesense.

Bait02

Jan 5, 2019
Does this mean we'll see Mario/Metroid/Zelda on Xbox? I mean, Nintendo has to give something back to Microsoft in return for allowing Microsoft's games on Switch... right?
What about 4k Nintendo games if you connect a Switch to an Xbox. It would give me a reason to buy one, more than a couple of halo, geow games.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass means it'll be downloaded to play?
X cloud means it's streamed like PS Now?

I have no desire to stream.

NateDrake mentioned they could be mixed into the same service.

It is my understanding GamePass/xCloud for Switch may be one in the same -- as in GamePass will use xCloud to bring the software to the system, but not 100% on that.

Ori will be normal, published release.

We haven't heard rumors (that I've seen so far) about the Ori/Cuphead port being part of GamePass on Switch. So for the moment, assume stream only.

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece

Nintendo will also likely win as well, as they likely will get a cut of the gamepass sub, and get more people to sign up for NSO.

Also those that want portable gamepass might buy new switches.

It seems like a win/win for both companies
I am not signing up for gamepass if I'm forced to sign up for NSO.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
If streaming takes off, it's finitio for hardware for basically everyone (buh bye Playstation too). Nintendo has to consider that as a possible *potential* future.
The definition of what is within a console may change in the next 10-15 years from having all the circuitry to run games to just be "cheap" streaming boxes but it's in Nintendo best interest to retain control over the hardware because Nintendo flourish by offering unique propositions which usually come in the form of custom hardware (upon which they release their unique software with their known brand).

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017

So, let me get this straight. You believe that, in a world where the strongest content providers via streaming can get up to 200 million subscribers on a WW level, Nintendo has the potential (since you're so fixed about "potential") to get up to 2-3 billion users by allowing their content NOT on their own service (which also opens another can of worms), in spite of how we're still far from having infrastructure / data plans that would allow such services to be consumed by the mass audience?

cabb800888f6f40d8653a90b3dd2312e1549958223_full.png

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I'm confusing this site with the one that made up a bunch about switch/NX leading to the announcement.
Don't imagine they'd bother porting if the XCloud is coming. I guess they can port like the 360 games but that seems weird to do?

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Not sure if I'm confusing this site with the one that made up a bunch about switch/NX leading to the announcement.
Don't imagine they'd bother porting if the XCloud is coming. I guess they can port like the 360 games but that seems weird to do?
I remember them from the NX days. Nobody put their claims in the rumor archive, though. Someone should try to track those claims down.

Edit: I couldn't find anything on r/NintendoNX. Maybe I'm mistaking Jeuxvideo for someone else as well.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
So, let me get this straight. You believe that, in a world where the strongest content providers via streaming can get up to 200 million subscribers on a WW level, Nintendo has the potential (since you're so fixed about "potential") to get up to 2-3 billion users by allowing their content NOT on their own service (which also opens another can of worms), in spite of how we're still far from having infrastructure / data plans that would allow such services to be consumed by the mass audience?

cabb800888f6f40d8653a90b3dd2312e1549958223_full.png

While I don't agree with that user at all, they were talking about Nintendo having potential access to users on that many devices with all those formats combined. There was no suggestion they could get anywhere near that many subscribers.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Why would Nintendo put their million sellers (which are still basically at full price, all of them) on a game streaming service that will only damage their own devices and numbers?

Nintendo is not MS or the other companies, devaluing their own games

A NES/SNES/GBA & so on subscription on the other hand, makes more sense

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah, my mind jumped to this rumour the moment they unveiled Cuphead. This one doesn't have many will happen aspects to it, though, so that's too bad.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something is obviously up, just don't know how deep it goes.

I suspect Nintendo-MS started talking deal over N64 Classic and maybe GoldenEye Remastered and that branched off into broader things.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't think Forza has a chance on Switch. Halo and Gears are most likely Xbox 360 ports buy there's no point porting 360 forza games. I think they meant Halo, Gears and Fable not Forza.