• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎

View: https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1782376452463227386

Vladimir Potanin says metals group will start production in China from 2027 due to difficulties in international payments

Potanin said in an interview with state media outlet Interfax that the mining major plans to replace copper smelting capacity at the Nadezhda plant in the Russian Arctic with new facilities in China from 2027 onwards.

The Russian oligarch provided one of the most detailed accounts yet of how western sanctions are hampering the country's commodities exports, one of the Kremlin's key sources of funding its invasion of Ukraine.
Potanin said the sanctions have cut Norilsk's revenues by at least 15 per cent since 2022 because of a gamut of difficulties around international payments, delivery refusals and pricing discounts, as well as troubles over plans to reduce sulphur dioxide pollution at its copper plants.
Potanin said sanctions pressure had made Norilsk "think about the right way to get our goods to the market" and decide to "move it to where it is consumed, and the final product will be sold as Chinese".

"A Chinese good is much harder to sanction in China than a Russian one supplied to China."

good luck with that :)
"This dependency increases along with sanctions pressure. We won't get away from it, but if we're more integrated into the Chinese economy, we'll be more protected than if we don't have it," he said. "We are dependent on the Chinese system, but it's better to be inside looking out, not outside looking at how you're getting squeezed."
if something happens with Chinese economy - you're fucked

View: https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1782706951970771244

Europe-based multinationals will no longer be able to offer professional services to Russian subsidiaries from June

archive.ph

EU companies grapple with expiry of Russia sanctions carve-out

archived 23 Apr 2024 10:14:11 UTC
European companies still operating in Russia are scrambling to comply with a new EU sanctions provision that could significantly alter the way they do business in the country.

More than two years since Vladimir Putin ordered the full-scale invasion of Ukraine, multinationals are on the cusp of losing a carve-out that allowed them to provide their Russian subsidiaries with professional services like accounting, management consulting and legal advice.
Many international companies in the consumer goods, pharmaceuticals, retail and manufacturing sectors have continued to do business in Russia, despite a widespread corporate exodus and successive rounds of sanctions targeting different sectors of the Russian economy in response to the war.

Their ability to do business in the country is in large part owing to an exemption for companies being allowed to offer professional services to their own subsidiaries in Russia, while being banned from providing those same services to other companies. The European Commission announced in December that this exemption would no longer apply as of this year.
Instead of being exempt automatically, companies as of June 20 will have to seek authorisation from national authorities for every type of service they supply their Russian subsidiaries with, said a commission spokesperson.

Nov 8, 2017
Regarding sanctions, you've always been able to tell they were causing pain for the Russian government based on how loudly and often Russian officials, propagandists, and foreign stooges simultaneously demand an end to them and also claim they're doing nothing. The Russians doth protest too much, methinks.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
So, Senate will be in session shortly in order to advance the aid package. Is it guaranteed to pass today or do we have to expect one of the usual dipshits (Paul, Tuberville, Hawley, ...) to make use of some stupid arcane Senate rule to delay passage of the bill for a few more days?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So, Senate will be in session shortly in order to advance the aid package. Is it guaranteed to pass today or do we have to expect one of the usual dipshits (Paul, Tuberville, Hawley, ...) to make use of some stupid arcane Senate rule to delay passage of the bill for a few more days?

Simple majority vote. Those fools can't do shit. House set it up that way with the rules vote

PatAndTheCat

Apr 1, 2024
So western leaders are waking up suddenly?

Like they all needed a magical CIA lecture?

Better late than never I guess, but I'm not counting on them for any urgent situation.
I've been seeing it will likely pass Wednesday

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Doubt it will be unanimous consent, so that is out of the question. If they have more than 60 votes though to pass through the to debate and voting, I'd wager on late tonight or tomorrow. There won't be any amendments for this most likely, so that process should be skipped. I'd be surprised this takes more than 48 hours with Schumer in control and if 60 votes are on the table.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

Yesterday I scrolled thru a headline on censor.net with a quote from a UA official that they are currently negotiating with multiple partners for 4 Patriot systems in total.

If they can also get some more radars (even Soviet-style, since they already know how to integrate them), and break up the launchers, that could give a real boost to mobile anti-air by the frontlines, provided there's sufficient missiles to keep them stocked

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday I scrolled thru a headline on censor.net with a quote from a UA official that they are currently negotiating with multiple partners for 4 Patriot systems in total.

If they can also get some more radars (even Soviet-style, since they already know how to integrate them), and break up the launchers, that could give a real boost to mobile anti-air by the frontlines, provided there's sufficient missiles to keep them stocked
Yeah, and with Russia seemingly going all in with over-weight glide bombs right now, that means they are at a huge risk of medium to longer range intercepts, because they have to fly much higher and faster for those heavier versions.

All you need is 4 or 5 shootdowns, and that would probably turn the VKS down a huge amount.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Yeah, and with Russia seemingly going all in with over-weight glide bombs right now, that means they are at a huge risk of medium to longer range intercepts, because they have to fly much higher and faster for those heavier versions.

All you need is 4 or 5 shootdowns, and that would probably turn the VKS down a huge amount.
Especially if they got greenlight to aim at Kursk and Belgorod Oblasts to shoot down the planes pummeling Sumy and Kharkiv

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
Exclusive: US preparing $1 billion weapons package for Ukraine, officials say
The United States is preparing a $1 billion military aid package for Ukraine, the first to be sourced from the yet to be signed Ukraine-Israel bill, two U.S. officials told Reuters on Tuesday.
The aid package includes vehicles, Stinger air defense munitions, additional ammunition for high-mobility artillery rocket systems, 155 millimeter artillery ammunition, TOW and Javelin anti-tank munitions and other weapons that can immediately be put to use on the battlefield, the officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England

It's so great to be back on a good news swing! I know it swings back and forth, but the last six months have felt pretty damn rough. Let's hope everyone continues ramping up deliveries to Ukraine, and they can start closing the gap with artillery fire rates and get back to shooting down 90-100% of drones and missiles. I'd love to see future zerg rush attempts all end in abject failure for Russia.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
US aid bill passing house

US preparing 1 billion dollar package already

UK preparing 500 million £ package

UK investing into moving towards a war economy

US to put pressure on Germany to finally deliver Taurus

What an insane string of good news

Oct 30, 2017
US aid bill passing house

US preparing 1 billion dollar package already

UK preparing 500 million £ package

UK investing into moving towards a war economy

US to put pressure on Germany to finally deliver Taurus

What an insane string of good news
Hopefully not only because they know something bad that we don't. That's the first thing that came into mind when I read your post. So many good news in such a small time-line.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully not only because they know something bad that we don't. That's the first thing that came into mind when I read your post. So many good news in such a small time-line.

I'm guessing it's the predicted Russian "late spring/summer offensive" which is said to involve a lot of new manpower & material from Russian side. This would be bad news for Ukraine if Ukraine had to defend WITHOUT aid as they are already stretched thin as-is. Ukraine isn't lacking in manpower, it's ammo Ukraine is lacking. Ammo for weapons, artillery, missile/air defenses. Russia is said to have a 10-to-1 artillery advantage at the moment, simply because Ukraine is running out of ammo.

www.kyivpost.com

Ukrainian Ground Forces Commander Warns of Russia Gathering 100,000 Soldiers, Potential Summer Offensive

The commander suggests that Russia's assembly of troops may not solely indicate an offensive strategy, potentially serving to bolster current units' combat capability.

Russia is amassing a formidable troop presence exceeding 100,000 soldiers, indicating a possible new summer offensive, Ground Forces' Commander Oleksandr Pavlyuk said on Ukrainian television Friday, March 22.

"The Russian plans are completely unknown to us. We only know the data that they are creating groups – more than 100,000," Pavlyuk said.

"It will not necessarily be an offensive," he said, indicating that Russia might be replenishing units. "But there is a possibility that by the beginning of the summer, they may have certain forces to conduct appropriate offensive operations in one of the directions," he said.

With aid of US and othern western countries, any potential breakthrough from this additional pressure can be prevented.

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Situation is not great NW of Avdiyivka RN. Street fighting in Ocheretyne, UAF trying to contain a breakthrough.

As per Tom Cooper, once again, the orcs taking advantage of UAF troop rotation to hit hard the positions being taken up by a new unit being brought in as the 47th Mech attempted to rotate out.
Not saying things are collapsing, but all sorts of hardware is needed at the frontlines ASAP.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
You'd think with all the times Russia has abused troop rotations to make quick inroads that Ukraine would have established a cleaner way to rotate troops around that doesn't leave such an opening.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
You'd think with all the times Russia has abused troop rotations to make quick inroads that Ukraine would have established a cleaner way to rotate troops around that doesn't leave such an opening.

Do we know how they make rotation? Pull forces back leaving positions unmanned, and only then send in fresh forces to hold said positions assuming Russian's didn't walk in?

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Someone must of fucked up or they retreated intentionally.

You wouldn't rotate unless the other replacement soldiers were already in position. That makes no sense

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Someone must of fucked up or they retreated intentionally.

You wouldn't rotate unless the other replacement soldiers were already in position. That makes no sense
It's the question of new troops being unfamiliar with the positions they will have to be defending. Which approaches the enemy uses for assault, where does enemy bombardment come from, how long the gap between shelling and assault, etc. Things the units rotating out know intimately be expereince, and fresh units have familiarize tehmselves with. If you apply excessive pressure at this time, bad things can, and do, happen.

Ideally, you'd want piecemeal rotation where experienced troops are being supplemented by new units so tehy can mentor them about each position's specifics; but this can lead to conflicts in chain of command, so I guess that's why they occasionally do it this way.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
https://twitter.com/ColbyBadhwar/status/1782835293218845116

Attackems! Anyone know how Air Defense does against these? I imagine they'll be able to strike anywhere in Ukraine minus Crimea? Hopefully they can fuck up Russian logistics before the summer offense
Different sources saying different things, but from what I can find the M48 has a range of 300 kilometers. If that's true and the US is indeed sending those, the entirety of Crimea is within range.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Different sources saying different things, but from what I can find the M48 has a range of 300 kilometers. If that's true and the US is indeed sending those, the entirety of Crimea is within range.
I hope included in the actmos deliveries is a binderr with the locations of all of rusia's supply depots in crimia.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
and the experienced units can't relay these things to the new units? it smacks of deep incompetence. this is at least the second time I've heard of something like this.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Attackems! Anyone know how Air Defense does against these? I imagine they'll be able to strike anywhere in Ukraine minus Crimea? Hopefully they can fuck up Russian logistics before the summer offense
From what I've read, only a specific model of the S-300 intended for intercepting ballistic missiles would have a shot at stopping these, and even that one would be far from guaranteed to intercept them. I think it should be expected that most of them will get through.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
and the experienced units can't relay these things to the new units? it smacks of deep incompetence. this is at least the second time I've heard of something like this.
That's because this is how the loss of Soledar started, which lead to eventual encirclement of Bakhmut.

I'm not going to judge how much you can/ can't convey about specifics of trench warfare in a specific frontline section, but yes, there are absolute organization issues at operational/strategic levels that need to be addressed wrt rotations

greengr

Dec 3, 2018

Yeah knowing the political climate in Greece there is a 0,00001% chance any Patriot is gonna be offered to Ukraine even with immense pressure,with European elections looming and the governing party seeing collapsing polls,no one is gonna even think to send them over,the general consensus is sending Patriots basically de-arming the Air-Defense and i gotta be honest i agree.The S-300 that Greece has on the other hand should be sent to Ukraine yesterday.

p.s. pronews.gr the site is LITERALLY in every sense of the word a Russian backed website that has been charged from the Greece authorities with spreading misinformation

Last edited:

Res

Oct 25, 2017
https://twitter.com/ColbyBadhwar/status/1782835293218845116

embedded version

View: https://twitter.com/ColbyBadhwar/status/1782835293218845116
I am guessing M39A1 might be the main one Ukraine is getting. It is long range, and the US doesn't use the cluster variant anymore. Pretty much all of the airfields in Russian occupied territories would be in play

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
May see the bill signed prior to midnight. I'd imagine the first trucks may start moving in early morning. Hopefully Ukraine itself is ready to handle the incoming logistics.
As long as they get AA missiles in the first truckload, they'll be able to keep supply lines open to the frontline and receive and use everything else.