• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Im not surprised by the price, but it's still laughable. Glad that they're trying to push foldable phones though, maybe in a not too far future they'll get the tech more flexible.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
You would think it would have some type of new GPU from Nvidia to go with it for that price.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well the phone sort of inherits all the problems that Android has had in the tablet market — lack of optimized apps, and an audience that's largely only interested in inexpensive products. It won't be able to replace a laptop in the way that an iPad or Surface would.

With Galaxy phones already pushing 6.5" screens, is a 7.3" folding screen really an appreciable upgrade (especially considering the inflated price)?

i honestly don't think it matters. the nexus 7 was reviewed well precisely because it's small tablet size made most mobile android apps paltable. this is the same size. and 95% of the time, having those optmized apps doesnt matter. apps for media consumption are essentially optimized by default, they just have to be fullscreen. sure it's nice to have a sidebar in your messaging app, but like, whatever if it doesnt.

the big selling point for this thing by far is reading longform text and watching video.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
LG's 55" OLED TV model 55EM9600 released in 2012 at around $8000. Today you can get one for $1800 or less.

First gen new tech commands a premium and you'd be dumb to jump in. It's for rich people who want to show off something new. In 3-5 years this will be a lot more affordable for mass market.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty freaking cool. I hope this technology takes off, because it seems like an awesome solution to double your screen space without sacrificing the overall size of the phone.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Nope, that thing is a paperweight. Your gunna carry that around in your pocket? Have at it. Than you have the com0letely useless functions. Wow....it runs the same app on the outside and inside screen at once! Uhh...I would fucking hope so seriously....than you got this giant screen that is achieving nothing. Just nothing.

You multitask? Nobody does that. Even on my new iPad Pro i barely multitask and I'm settled in a lot more with that than my phone. On top of that let's say you are a multitasking machine this looks like a terrible experience. Switching is cool, but your just gunna use one app at a time, so it's a glorified bigger screen that will probably look terrible and you just don't need a screen that size as a cell phone, most people like the smaller phones just to start.

10 years from now this could be where it needs to be, and I'm sure 5 years from now it's something on a more acceptable level, TIL than this is going to be a shitshow I'm sure for owners. This thing looks Beta. Samsung has balls, Jesus.

I love the push for a new type of tech. Go Samsung,

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe if it were a little bigger... But a 7 inch square screen is a weird one that means a lot of content is going to look smaller or fit poorly.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the big selling point for this thing by far is reading longform text and watching video.
The question remains though — how much more are people willing to pay for a 15-20% bigger screen? Obviously the price on the Galaxy Fold will come down but I am not really sure how much that will matter if the price differentials between it and a normal phone remains so big.

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
Too much money, you can do so much with $2000, a phone is not worth that money in my opinion, doesn't matter the tech, even $1000 is too expensive for a phone but is cool tech, looking forward to see future iterations.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Hahahahahahaha

That 4300mAh battery is also laughably small for a screen that size/resolution. But someone will buy this at that price I suppose

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's so close for a great work/travel solution for me, for that I'm attracted to the fold. Ideally I wouldn't have to carry a surface pro around anymore. The keyboard/mouse is the deal breaker for me. Essentially I'll still need to carry around a foldable keyboard and mini mouse to make it useful, plus a charger etc. So you end up with the carry on bag which your surface/laptop already fulfils and gives a full range of software or grunt on. Android ain't running Visual Studio or Photoshop (not express) anytime soon.

So close to what I want but yet so far away.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
This thread will be fun to come back to in a few years. Remember when people made fun of the Note size and price for years? "won't fit in your pocket" "cant reach all sides of the screen, 2 hands needed" and on and on and on. Little did they know, in 2019 everyone has a bigger phone than the original Note including Apple.

This is the future. Unlike the Note, the Fold will absolutely replace the need for a bigger screen tablet for a lot of people. If they ever get windows on it I can see a lot of people abandoning their current laptop+phone setup (which cost them over $2000) to be all in on 1 foldable. I give it 3 years before Samsung has a 10" bi-fold model on the market. They already have the hard part invented.

It'll replace the laptop market when they finally get around to fully realizing the hybrid computing model. Samsung was so fucking close with DeX, and honestly the 12GB RAM and 500GB flash storage in this could possibly do it, but there's just no way you can get the same kind of productivity using a tiny capacitive keyboard as you would on a proper laptop/decently sized tablet. Surely smartphone makers can see the appeal of the Switch and translate that into a broader computing space. I'd actually be down to see Microsoft give Windows Phones another try if they could do something like that.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Front screen is tiny to the point where you'd think it's a bug, the thing looks thick as hell when folded, and the price is *literally* that of a high-end MacBook.

God bless Samsung, someone had to be first out of the gate with this, but what a ludicrously bad set of circumstances all to essentially have a tiny android tablet in your pocket. It's also a bit insulting to have that ugly-ass camera notch on the tablet screen in the same year you unveil the gorgeous S10 screens with minuscule camera cut outs.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Front screen is tiny to the point where you'd think it's a bug, the thing looks thick as hell when folded, and the price is *literally* that of a high-end MacBook.

God bless Samsung, someone had to be first out of the gate with this, but what a ludicrously bad set of circumstances all to essentially have a tiny android tablet in your pocket. It's also a bit insulting to have that ugly-ass camera notch on the tablet screen in the same year you unveil the gorgeous S10 screens with minuscule camera cut outs.

Is Samsung the first out the gate? I know the Flexpai and Xiaomi's phones have been shown; I'd always thought the Flexpai was already on sale?

Either way this Samsung is the first one that actually looks practical and polished construction and software-wise.

At that price, I'd be scared to take it out my pocket.

Fool, if you take it out in public, a cute girl will ask to see it and give you her number! (according to Samsung's ad, anyway).

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
It would be cool if a phone's screen folded like a "Z" shape and you can srtaighten the Z to make it a longer type screen. It'll be pretty thick though.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring the price, I would say the predominant problem is that the phone-mode screen looks like trash......so you have to unfold and open it every time you want to interact with the phone in a substantial way.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
This looks like something out of an old SciFi show trying to have a cool future looking gadget but didnt have the budget to make it actually look cool.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I am honestly shocked about people crying over price, 12gb of ram, folding OLED....
Its not like is 1000 more than the top iphone, it was nver going to be free with cornflakes

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Is Samsung the first out the gate? I know the Flexpai and Xiaomi's phones have been shown; I'd always thought the Flexpai was already on sale?

Either way this Samsung is the first one that actually looks practical and polished construction and software-wise.
Flexpai is on sale but it's even more compromised than this device, and Xiaomi at most has just teased their entry, although that device has a different and more interesting fold style.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a phone that folds out into a 7 inch tablet

eeehhh that's too small for media consumption, reading comics and productivity
I'll stick with traditional tablets

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I am honestly shocked about people crying over price, 12gb of ram, folding OLED....
Its not like is 1000 more than the top iphone, it was nver going to be free with cornflakes
The tech is fantastic, the issue is when you unfold the device you're left with a...7" Android tablet, which is something that shouldn't cost more than $200. You're paying a LOT to be able to fold that screen.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
it offers way more than a normal 7" tablet, lets be fair
Sure. $1400 more? That's up to the consumer. Obviously tech will settle and prices will decrease, but the value proposition of what you're getting for what you're paying seems ludicrous. Especially since the folded phone experience seems so awful. A 4.8" display in that chunky ass form factor? It's like having an iPhone 3G again. I know the unfolded experience is what you're paying for, but it's still a phone first and foremost, I don't want the small form factor to be so hideous

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Sure. $1400 more? That's up to the consumer. Obviously tech will settle and prices will decrease, but the value proposition of what you're getting for what you're paying seems ludicrous. Especially since the folded phone experience seems so awful. A 4.8" display in that chunky ass form factor? It's like having an iPhone 3G again. I know the unfolded experience is what you're paying for, but it's still a phone first and foremost, I don't want the small form factor to be so hideous
1400 more? it comes with a high end phone, 12gb of ram, 6 cameras...
Its also the first of its kind that actually works as a real phone and not a concept

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
If you think it's a fair price, fair enough! I'm not gonna argue about it haha
You are just calling it a 7" tablet, I think you are missing a lot here.
I am not sure how much you thought it was going to cost but if apple can charge like 300 less for a big iphone then I am not sure how this is expensive, the gen 2 will be cheaper but with those specs?

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
For who and why are a couple of questions that pop into mind

Calling this a similar leap than what happened a decade ago is funny and sad at the same time

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
a phone that folds out into a 7 inch tablet

eeehhh that's too small for media consumption, reading comics and productivity
I'll stick with traditional tablets
This is kinda my sticking point with it. The screen on the front seems too small and surrounded by massive bezels to be good and then the inside isn't actually big enough to be a high quality tablet.

It's a cool piece of tech but like most 1st gen products it feels like they've made a thing but don't know what it's for yet.