• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lurkyseas

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
Wow. Education in the modern era must have really gone to shit more so than ever before if teenagers don't know how to tell time from a analogue clock.

It's nothing like back in the days of the 80's & 90's when I used to be in school.

Last edited:

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
I would say kids should be able to understand them regardless of that. Analog clock is like a visual progress bar telling you how much time is left until something is complete. It's much less abstract thing than a digital clock where you have to subtract numbers to reach the same knowledge, and doesn't require fiddling or setup like countdown timer does.
Yeah, I agree with that. I probably take my understanding of analogue for granted. Looking at a digital clock, I get the same sense of remaining time, probably because I learned analogue first.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I'm not saying we should be slaves to the analog, but there's nothing easier or more efficient about digital if you have an equal understand of both.

As has been pointed out, it's actually easier to conceptualise the time (in terms of how much of it remains in an hour or twelve hour period) when viewed pie chart style. Glancing at a round time clock doesn't just tell me that it's 8:45, it tells me that 75% of the hour has elapsed, and 25% remains until 9:00. Since time is relative, and our perception of time shifts as we age, this is more useful than you might think.

Oh okay, I didn't realize people may have trouble with that when it comes to digital clocks. That's a concept that will take some time for me to digest (referring mostly to your last sentence, I have heard about time compression as you age) but I can totally see where you're coming from.

In that case, just put little squares inside analog clocks that display the time digitally (or on top or to the side or wherever). That way both sides get what they want. It can't be that much more expensive, if at all, to make such hybrid clocks.

Last edited:

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
How is it part of math? Time awareness is part of math. Performing mathematical functions on time is part of math. Neither of those involve reading an analog clock.

Kids aren't dumb because they don't think like you or grew up in a different social context.

A lot of math work in younger years and on many standardized test use clocks in math problems. It involves critical thinking.

Deleted member 26684

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I really want a Tokyoflash.

When we had the thread about how kids can't write anymore, half the replies were people who thought holding a fucking pen was a useless skill so good riddance. Which way will this go?
And this would be why I can't stand all the posts defending this decision.

Like the comparison with cursive is already really bad and makes no sense, but the shit about sundials is genuinely disturbing, and it just gets worse from there.

I think this is pretty stupid. Schools should continue teaching kids how to read analog clocks since it has uses beyond just telling the time. The concept of a 360° degree clock face helps with eary development of math skills and can help convey the direction of something realative to it's position from the clock center. Plus it shows an expanded breakdown of hours, minutes, and seconds which can be viewed as an elementary introduction to the STEM field.

It should be the only way to tell time in an academic setting. It's not like analog clocks are going to go out of style everywhere; traditional buildings, classic watches, crank timers, and styalistic preference pretty much ensure its continuation. Children who fail to learn how to read it will be at a disadvantage. Besides, the basics of reading analog clocks can easily be covered in 1 days lesson.
This post covers everything of merit in this thread. Stating that analog clocks require any real effort or that they're "outdated" is a symptom of a very serious problem. I'm pretty sure most or all of the people defending this are robots.

Jesus fucking christ, there's nothing "outdated" about analog clocks. Nor is there anything "modern" about digital ones. I've been using both for 40 fucking years. They have different advantages as has already been pointed out by many people. Stop trying to turn this into yet another us-vs-them situation...we have enough of that bullshit in society now. The fact remains that learning to tell time is a grade school skill and failing to teach that is a failure of an educational system.
Wait, I lied, this is also a really good post.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Asked my sixth-grade English class if they knew how to read an analogue clock today, thanks to this thread. All of them said yes and were really confused. They learned it in grades 1-3. So this seems to be a retention and practice problem rather than a teaching one.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I learned how to tell time on one of those clocks in kindergarten, and that was the 90's.

Come on education system!

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fallacious comparison. Sundials cannot be used indoors or on an overcast day. Sundials were phased out because they are not reliable. Not so for analogue clocks.

Analogue clocks are still widely used in our society today (unlike cursive, which is more or less confined to primary/middle school). It's not that you cannot function without knowing about it, but especially to a high schooler, learning how an analogue watch works is literally 2 minutes' work at most. The sheer amount of disconnect with relation to history and culture here is unsettling. These children haven't even gone out of their way to learn how something as common as analogue clocks work. That's what's unsettling here.

Not to mention that they involve visual elements and as such could help younger children understand math etc.

I mean, this is veering worryingly close to the "why teach children any math when you have calculators everywhere" mentality.
My point is that kids today and in the future have digital time displayed on all of the devices they use. Smartphones, televisions, computers and tablets....even in cars and on microwaves.

More than likely they will never really need to tell the time from an analogue clock. So I can understand deciding not to teach it anymore.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
What the fuck?

When I was a kid they taught us how to tell analogue time in preschool, how the hell do these teenagers not know this? Were their teachers to busy showing them how to play Minecraft?

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Were their teachers to busy showing them how to play Minecraft?

For the past 2 years in computer class I have had a 3D modeling unit in Maya and Unreal Engine for my high schoolers, and both times I've had a student beg me to be able to use Minecraft for our assessment instead. So this got a laugh from me.

Oct 27, 2017
this is just sad

don't blame the schools... blame the parents.

if your parents didn't teach you how to read a clock then you had an unfortunate childhood.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Asked my sixth-grade English class if they knew how to read an analogue clock today, thanks to this thread. All of them said yes and were really confused. They learned it in grades 1-3. So this seems to be a retention and practice problem rather than a teaching one.

For the past 2 years in computer class I have had a 3D modeling unit in Maya and Unreal Engine for my high schoolers, and both times I've had a student beg me to be able to use Minecraft for our assessment instead. So this got a laugh from me.

Oh ok that's good to hear. So you think this is a segregated issue related mostly to the schools in the article then?

I would've loved to have subjects in Maya and Unreal at school when I was a kid

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Jeesus. When I was in like 4th grade another kid scolded me for having a digital watch (Because it was cool) because I'm supposed to be able to tell the time by looking at the hands. I knew how to tell time back then. I just liked the watch.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is fucking stupid. It takes 5 minutes to teach people who know how to count to 12 how to read a clock.

Where else would they learn it but school?

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Oh ok that's good to hear. So you think this is a segregated issue related mostly to the school in the article then?

It's probably happening in more than one school, but I teach in an Asian school so rote learning is still somewhat of a thing that helps build concepts in early grades. We have fun assessments and projects of course, but we also have grinding, difficult lessons because sometimes that's the only way you can teach something and keep it in someone's head (reading, geography, history, linear algebra, etc.).

I would've loved to have subjects in Maya and Unreal at school when I was a kid

It's nothing fancy. We learn how to make lighting, textures, and normal/displacement maps from photographs in UE4, then we rig a simple character in Maya and learn to make it move around and collide with things, then we model out full rooms of the students' choice and put it all together. I only have the kids once a week so we're not learning anything too complex, but thank god Maya is free for students and UE4 is free for everyone. Minecraft is great for primary kids to play in their free time, but by high school we should really be looking into professional software more often.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
calcular-coste-autonomo.gif

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Considering how schools don't teach how to read analog after the first grade at best and most homes with analogs sinply have it only because it's always been there otherwise it's digital? Who is surprised. It's just a little bit of re learning.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Makes sense, we aren't living in an analogue age anymore. I think that headmaster has the right attitude towards this, in a world as digital as ours do kids even really need to be able to read an analogue clock anymore?

Shit, why even bother to teach math nowadays when you can just use the calculator on your phone?

Why bother to learn how to read when text-to-speech software exists?

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
This dumb generation... It takes less than 5 min to understand how to read a clock.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
My point is that kids today and in the future have digital time displayed on all of the devices they use. Smartphones, televisions, computers and tablets....even in cars and on microwaves.

More than likely they will never really need to tell the time from an analogue clock. So I can understand deciding not to teach it anymore.
I'd agree with you if analogue clocks were more complicated than sticks pointing at numbers.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
The youngest in my family writes his name out for his signature... the death of cursive, my aunt has told me some stories about kids complaining about writing as they are more comfortable with keyboards/devices. You can tell by their penmanship it's a struggling norm lol

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I'm stuck between being surprised and kinda not at the same time. Nowadays everything is digital but learning how to read analogue clocks should still be taught, it's not like they're disappearing anytime soon.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
With cursive not really being taught much I'm not really surprised this is the case here. Neither of my younger sisters (15/11) are able to tell the time from an analog clock. I always found reading analog clocks fun and easy but I certainly understand why this is happening even if I'll miss them for the most part. All just enjoy the "code speak" with my mother that my sisters wont understand when I say "quarter past X" or "quarter of Y", etc...

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Cursive is fucking pointless. It was meant to take notes faster. A PC does that now.

An Analog Clock is more like a simple logic problem.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
Think about this for a second, we will eventually need a replacement idiom for "A broken clock is right twice a day"...

Though, on a more serious note, this is more of the educators' failure than the students'... We can't really say "These post-millennials are ruining the housing market with their inability to understand analogue clocks" when the teachers and parents around them failed to teach. What I'm saying is that we need a better reason, not excuse, to blame them for the world's problems.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
This dumb generation... It takes less than 5 min to understand how to read a clock.

It's wrong to blame the younger generation(s). This can't be overstated. Those who are ignorant of glorious round time have been put on the defensive by this misdirected criticism, so of course some will resort to being proud of their ignorance.

The loss of this skill is due to a cultural shift. It's likely less due to curriculum, and more due to fewer analog clocks on the walls of homes and public buildings. They haven't disappeared, but they're certainly not by every bedside or on every kitchen wall anymore. I'd bet the decline of wristwatches has had a similar impact.

Round-wise is a useful language in which to display time; the metric system is superior because we count in base ten; writing in cursive is faster and more efficient than printing. But no matter how aggressively we fight to preserve or encourage the adoption of these things, if they're not a part of daily life, they won't become ingrained in the popular consciousness. Just like unique languages when cultures are assimilated, or stories passed down orally.

I think most of us agree that it's distressing to lose knowledge as a society, just as it's distressing to lose biodiversity, but the fault lies with the inexorably shifting tides of culture, not with teachers or students.

Best way to preserve analog time is simply to put up more analog clocks and try to make analog watches fashionable. Maybe they'll come back like vinyl; maybe they'll disappear forever like solving moderately complex mathematical problems on paper.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
It's wrong to blame the younger generation(s). This can't be overstated. Those who are ignorant of glorious round time have been put on the defensive by this misdirected criticism, so of course some will resort to being proud of their ignorance.

The loss of this skill is due to a cultural shift. It's likely less due to curriculum, and more due to fewer analog clocks on the walls of homes and public buildings. They haven't disappeared, but they're certainly not by every bedside or on every kitchen wall anymore. I'd bet the decline of wristwatches has had a similar impact.

Round-wise is a useful language in which to display time; the metric system is superior because we count in base ten; writing in cursive is faster and more efficient than printing. But no matter how aggressively we fight to preserve or encourage the adoption of these things, if they're not a part of daily life, they won't become ingrained in the popular consciousness. Just like unique languages when cultures are assimilated, or stories passed down orally.

I think most of us agree that it's distressing to lose knowledge as a society, just as it's distressing to lose biodiversity, but the fault lies with the inexorably shifting tides of culture, not with teachers or students.

Best way to preserve analog time is simply to put up more analog clocks and try to make analog watches fashionable. Maybe they'll come back like vinyl; maybe they'll disappear forever like solving moderately complex mathematical problems on paper.
You are absolutely right... It's just kind of disappointing that something so fundamental and basic (at least to us) as reading the clock seems like a special skill for the newer generation.

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
Radiologists still use the clock face numbers to help describe where the breast tumor is located in relation to the nipple. "Right-sided 2 cm tumor located at 5 o'clock, 3 cm away from the nipple. Depth 4 cm perpendicular to skin."

If your mother gets breast cancer, pray her surgeon knows how to read an analogue clock.

Deleted member 22407

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think its worth keeping in mind this story is about a school in England. A number of people here as just assuming or about a different country. Also, as I previously pointed out 300 odd posts ago, learning this skill is part of the national curriculum at Key Stage 1 as part of basic mathematics, these kids should have known this by age 5 or 6, let alone teens I1t doesn't really matter how people feel about it, these pupils should have known it. The primary education system failed them or perhaps, some kids (or parents) are looking for an excuse as to why an exam didn't go the way they hoped.

Removing this from the curriculum would not free up the time required that you could teach kids programming, your talking about a very small part of learning basic maths at a very young age.

It does make me sad to see sommany people happy to give up a skill just because it's old or they don't use it.

I've been three different schools in two different countries and I've never been taught how to write cursive and I never needed to learn besides my shitty signature

I went to 5 different schools in three different countries during the early years where they'd teach cursive, and all of them taught it or used it in class. I'm guessing you're younger than I am, though.

How long do you think it takes to learn your vs. you're?

latest

Last edited:

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
When I was a little kid they taught us how to use clocks in school. Also when we were learning English, I guess it was a two-for-one but they'd have sheets with clocks on them and we had to write the time that the clocks showed in English.

This just further demonstrates how some countries have a horrendously bad education system.

Yebele

Nov 2, 2017
eh who cares. it's not an important skill anyway. I can't remember the last time I had to read an analogue clock

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a war on analogue clocks in the anglosphere the rest of the world is completely missing?

Must be. I'm in Asia, and if I tilt my head up about 20 degrees here at my desk, there's an analogue clock right there. If I walk across the hall to the other office, another one is waiting for me there, and in every other room on this floor. When I exit the building in about 15 minutes, I will see like twelve analogue clocks over the entrance, displaying the times from different global cities.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Time to invest in these. They're going to be the height of fashion in a few years.

817CZKJ09eL._UY445_.jpg