• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
Sadly other games are affected. Streets of Rage is noticeable, even Columns for Christ sake has terrible audio jumps. Really bummed by this as I do adore Mega Drive games but Segas efforts to preserve them are pathetic. Nintendo may overcharge for a mini console but at least the emulation is good, minus epilepsy filters that can't be switched off.
Unless Sega patches the audio, I think I won't bother with this collection for much longer.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for the report, softfocus. I may head into GS this week to cancel my disc preorder. Or maybe I'll just put the money toward something else. :/

Jan 11, 2018
Sadly other games are affected. Streets of Rage is noticeable, even Columns for Christ sake has terrible audio jumps. Really bummed by this as I do adore Mega Drive games but Segas efforts to preserve them are pathetic. Nintendo may overcharge for a mini console but at least the emulation is good, minus epilepsy filters that can't be switched off.
Unless Sega patches the audio, I think I won't bother with this collection for much longer.

Are all these issues present in the Steam versions as well?

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Ok. Sound Issues. I'm out. Sounds picky, but i'd rather pull out my Mega Drive and play some of theese without bad emulation.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Unless I hear there are some good arcade ports hidden on this collection, I will pass on this release.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thx to alert us. Indeed are just old emulation sound problems.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even look at the list of games and just assumed that at least Sonic 3 was on there. How the hell is one of the Genesis' flagship titles not in this collection?
I wouldn't assume Sonic 3 or S&K would show up in any collection or rerelease. It would be more surprising if it did.

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
Are all these issues present in the Steam versions as well?
I had issues with the Steam version as I believe the emulation was inside a Unity wrapper which is probably what's happening here again. I blamed my laptop for the issues, as I'm certain when I had the simple launcher running, the games were okay.
I only bought this version as it's easier for me to grab a PS4 controller to play these classics.
Also, the "room" which is the menu sucks. Half the games sitting on the shelves are in darkness. That's literally me nit picking but due to the other issues I can't help but get annoyed by that as well.

Last edited:

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, is this not already out on steam? Looks just like the steam collections.

It is, but this version is missing games, mods, and the "hub" graphics are far worse. The PC version will be updated with all console features May 29th, while retaining the missing games. Prob no multiplayer support, challenges, etc. for those tho.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
So after all Switch users will get the best compilation.
That was a given though Switch owners will be paying a higher price and getting fewer titles in return.

Why didn't they just get M2 to do this... The collections they released on the 360 (now backwards compatible on the X1) seem much more competent.
You're never getting 50+ M2 polished games for $29.99. It's harsh but you sort of get what you pay for.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't sound too bad yo me. I doubt I'd notice the issues discussed.

Some online T&E is enough motivation to buy.

Lurkyseas

Banned
Dec 31, 2017
Damn it, Sega. Damn!

Instead of having the production in Europe & having 3dt doing it, you should've had Sega of Japan & M2 doing these.

This has me worried with Shenmue 1 & 2 remasters now.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Damn it, Sega. Damn!

Instead of having the production in Europe & having 3dt doing it, you should've had Sega of Japan & M2 doing these.

I think investing more into Sega Ages and making the project multiplat might've been the better option in retrospect. You might lose some casuals by going piecemeal at $6 or whatever per game but the hardcore would be satisfied.

Hamster's making bank on Arcade Archives and while it appears Switch is selling the majority of that, PS4, Xbox and Windows are still doing well enough by all accounts.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The best chance either game has at re-release at this point are Taxman remasters with new music to replace the Michael Jackson tracks.
And I'm certain I read an article or interview that stated he had a release in the works like the Sonic 2 mobile port and he was told to stop, it wasn't happening.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
If Sonic 3K is a music issue then why doesn't Taxman or M2 or whoever doing a port or rerelease just sub in the PC soundtrack for the songs in question?

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
Damn it, Sega. Damn!

Even if the shenmue remasters are botched, it's still a tolerable way to finally play it I guess and people will be thirsty and willing to overlook issues.

Sega has been throwing out Genesis compilations since the ps2 and I'm just not going to bother with shitty emulation, AtGames trash, or ad filled mobile games when Sega have occasionally done better, apparently by accident.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, that footage and audio problems do not look good at all.

Skipping this compilation till the problems are solved (if ever)

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
And I'm certain I read an article or interview that stated he had a release in the works like the Sonic 2 mobile port and he was told to stop, it wasn't happening.
He released a proof-of-concept demo in 2014, but nothing came of it. Sega rejected it and he ended up working on Mania instead.

Which, cool, but I still want Sonic 3, dammit!

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
And on Steam, and on Virtual Console, and on XBLA, and in the DS Sonic Collection, etc. The music rights things might be something that only came to light more recently though.
Pretty much. Jackson speculation was old, but I remember being completely shocked when Hard Times surfaced up. I imagine some people at Sega could have been as well.

At least they didn't take it off Steam yet.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Can anyone get the scanlines to work in full screen mode?

They show when looking at the fake TV but then when I press Y to go to full screen, they disappear. Filters work though. Annoying.

Jan 11, 2018
It still seems better than the PS3/360 collection, but geez - how hard can it be to get fans to test something before you release it? Or to get a collection of old ROMs to run properly without issues?

Which games are affected?

Bare Knuckle 3, Sonic...

Birdo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they ever bother to add Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles to the collection as DLC, I'll purchase the game.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Woah, now this is an interesting tidbit that a few people here might be interested in:

CZY6iNk.png

Sega Mega Drive and Genesis Classics just showed up in my Steam client on Linux. I can press the install button and it does install some files to my /home/.steam directory. But it does not download any executable files yet, just all the ROMs and HUB data files. The ROM files do work in Retroarch on my Linux desktop too. I guess this is a sign that a Linux port is coming.

Last edited:

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm glad I didn't pre-order this. I wish Sega would work on getting the game emulation down before wasting a bunch of resources on a terrible front end that sucks much-needed resources needed for quality emulation. It's tragic that Sega continually re-releases Genesis games like this and somehow manages to put even less effort into them.

Good lord those are some bad reviews. Anyone who can't instantly tell that the sound is off has no business assessing it.
Yeah, I know. Hell, I knew that the sound emulation was off when I watched the freaking trailer for the collection. The sound that plays when Sonic collects a ring is burned into my mind, and I can tell when it's off. I can understand people missing stuff like that. Phantasy Star II really suffers from the botched sound emulation, though. It almost sounds like the game is freezing when you enter battles.

JSoup

Oct 27, 2017
Woah, now this is an interesting tidbit that a few people here might be interested in:

CZY6iNk.png

Sega Mega Drive and Genesis Classics just showed up in my Steam client on Linux. I can press the install button and it does install some files to my /home/.steam directory. But it does not download any executable files yet, just all the ROMs and HUB data files. The ROM files do work in Retroarch on my Linux desktop too. I guess this is a sign that a Linux port is coming.

Yeah, it was already known that the base game on Steam would be getting upgraded to the current retail version as well. If you had it already installed before today, the changes went live with no patch notification.

Jan 11, 2018
Well, I am sure the poster meant that Switch gets the better compilation because it does not get this one, because this one is bad

Let's not start with hyperboles. It has some issues, but to say it's bad? Where were the nitpickers when they released the PS3/360 collection, which was arguably worse? Somehow people remember that one fondly.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not start with hyperboles. It has some issues, but to say it's bad? Where were the nitpickers when they released the PS3/360 collection, which was arguably worse? Somehow people remember that one fondly.

Not really. Those of us who had problems with that one will have problems with this one too so I don't who these imaginary "nitpickers" who only find fault in one but not the other are.

Ultimately both are trash.