• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So are we expecting some kind of Bloodborne twist, where things gradually got more twisted? Aside from the giant snake, everything so far has been largely traditional folklore/fantasy-stuff.

review embargo lifts on March 6th?...they must be really confident in the game to have reviews come out 2+ weeks from release
Previews

GrayFoxPL

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I need to know if left and right for item change loop so that only one can be used for item change.

The reason is I must remap L3 button to the d-pad because I can't push L3 button.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would like to see a new map because the old one is kinda boring and somewhat ugly. I need to make sure art is pretty.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
So are we expecting some kind of Bloodborne twist, where things gradually got more twisted? Aside from the giant snake, everything so far has been largely traditional folklore/fantasy-stuff.

Previews
There's cool stuff, but there is no grand "twist". People should probably keep their expectations in check regarding that. It's more like a roller coaster where things will go off the deep end from time to time but It's best not to think of it like Bloodborne.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, in fact we do.
There's already a leaked enemy that well...is simply put creepy as fuck.
There's cool stuff, but there is no grand "twist". People should probably keep their expectations in check regarding that. It's more like a roller coaster where things will go off the deep end from time to time but It's best not to think of it like Bloodborne.
Not in terms of Cosmic Horror, but going off the deep end is what that poster was referring to I believe.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, in fact we do.
There's already a leaked enemy that well...is simply put creepy as fuck.

Not in terms of Cosmic Horror, but going off the deep end is what that poster was referring to I believe.
Yeah, not cosmic horror, but in terms of there being more otherworldly/creepy stuff below the Japanese samurai/folklore surface

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017

Previews
Miyazaki flat out confirmed that the game starts to unravel but it's not like Bloodmoon type of stuff.

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018

Cool, the exploration is what I am looking forward to with them having designed the environments with the grappling hook in mind. I know you probably can't answer this but have you heard anything about post release content (DLC)?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally more "worried" about enemy variety than story. I don't really need a cosmic horror kind of twist to the story, but their previous games had some incredible enemy design and variety, which is something that I just don't think can be done if most enemies are humans for story reasons.

I imagine this is part of what motivates so many people to ask for a twist. Everyone was cool with Bloodborne back when we thought it was simply "Dark Souls with guns", because that came with werewolves and shit.

The most out there enemy we've seen is the headless, and, well, as interesting as the fight seems, and as creepy as the concept is, it's still kind of just a dude.

That claw enemy the player used the Evo 37 parry on in the TGS trailer was interesting, but it just seems to be a recycled enemy from Ashes of Ariandel. Or to be more accurate, they borrowed a Sekiro enemy for that DLC, as that enemy attacked far too frequently for the typical Souls moveset, it felt out of place.

When you think about it, regular humans is indeed a brand new type of enemy for Miyazaki games, as much as werewolves were for Bloodborne, but not as much in the context of "action adventure games", or even "ninja games".

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
My lord is here to bring us the truth.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Preordered for PS4. Hopefully that version looks and runs decently- I figure it does because FromSoft, but seeing as Bone X is the more powerful and was the announcement platform (lead dev platform?), I'm a bit wary.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally more "worried" about enemy variety than story. I don't really need a cosmic horror kind of twist to the story, but their previous games had some incredible enemy design and variety, which is something that I just don't think can be done if most enemies are humans for story reasons.

I imagine this is part of what motivates so many people to ask for a twist. Everyone was cool with Bloodborne back when we thought it was simply "Dark Souls with guns", because that came with werewolves and shit.

The most out there enemy we've seen is the headless, and, well, as interesting as the fight seems, and as creepy as the concept is, it's still kind of just a dude.

That claw enemy the player used the Evo 37 parry on in the TGS trailer was interesting, but it just seems to be a recycled enemy from Ashes of Ariandel. Or to be more accurate, they borrowed a Sekiro enemy for that DLC, as that enemy attacked far too frequently for the typical Souls moveset, it felt out of place.

When you think about it, regular humans is indeed a brand new type of enemy for Miyazaki games, as much as werewolves were for Bloodborne, but not as much in the context of "action adventure games", or even "ninja games".
It's also worth noting that the previews have been fairly conservative in what they've shown, and this is Fromsoft's take on japanese fantasy and folklore. So take that as you will.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Do enemies respawn and is there an explanation of why in the lore? Not a huge deal and dark souls kind of hand waved away the reason but I appreciated the effort.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a picture of this creepy enemy?
xTBEoH0.gif

Notice the enemy's life bar as the player character cuts him. :)

Do enemies respawn and is there an explanation of why in the lore? Not a huge deal and dark souls kind of hand waved away the reason but I appreciated the effort.

They do, also very curious about the reason for respawning in this game, if there's even one. Even for Sekiro, as you come back at the previous checkpoint even if you die for good.

It's just a good design choice, so I'm not too mad if there's no explanation, but I always thought it was super elegant how they always tie to the lore the mere fact that you can continue after a game over.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
So, is this essentially a Samurai Dark Souls?

For some reason, I thought this would be a little more of an standared action-adventure. Maybe I'm getting it confused withe the Sony game.

Oct 25, 2017
So, is this essentially a Samurai Dark Souls?

For some reason, I thought this would be a little more of an standared action-adventure. Maybe I'm getting it confused withe the Sony game.
It's structured like a Dark Souls game when it comes to world and level design, and there are numerous similarities since it's the same team, but it's indeed more of an action-adventure title. No RPG mechanics, no multiplayer, no character customization, you only have one weapon and you collect improvements to your moveset in the form of shinobi prosthetics, as well as a little skill tree thing where you unlock new moves.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Nioh (first time) to kinda warm up for these games again. Getting to the point where it gets repetitive so I'm about to drop it...

CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS!

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018

Yeah, I think Miyazaki mentioned that it indeed has a lot of humanoid esque type of enemies. The good thing is both their marketing guy Kitao and Game Informer assured us that it's a Miyazaki game and it wouldn't feel right if there weren't weird stuff in it. GI teased giant roosters and lizard enemies so I'm sure people will be satisfied with the variety. Too bad those goddam dogs are back.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
is the Preview embargo going to include new footage from different areas or the same old area?...I'd actually prefer if they released less footage and let players experience the game themselves...From Software has kept the game under wraps but over the last week or so they've been releasing a little too much new stuff- the Butterfly and Chained Ogre boss intros etc...if you've resisted showing too much up until now then why not just go all the way and keep things secret until release day

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
is the Preview embargo going to include new footage from different areas or the same old area?...I'd actually prefer if they released less footage and let players experience the game themselves...From Software has kept the game under wraps but over the last week or so they've been releasing a little too much new stuff- the Butterfly and Chained Ogre boss intros etc...if you've resisted showing too much up until now then why not just go all the way and keep things secret until release day

They've specified it as "exclusive content" so it's probably not going to be the Gamescom build recycled all over again. There is a big possibility it's the Hirata Estates section (Lady butterfly, fat guy) segment that GI covered so From can keep their cards close to their chests. It can be something completely new as well.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Yeah, I think Miyazaki mentioned that it indeed has a lot of humanoid esque type of enemies. The good thing is both their marketing guy Kitao and Game Informer assured us that it's a Miyazaki game and it wouldn't feel right if there weren't weird stuff in the game. GI teased giant roosters and lizard enemies so I'm sure people will be satisfied with the variety.
I hope so. I'm drawn to a more fantasy based enemy esthetic like those in past From games. The creativity used in enemy design in their other series are spectacular.

A human soldier with a gun or some light armor and a plank shield is so meh... I know they need goons to fill the space, but hope it pushes past this more than embracing it.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I hope so. I'm drawn to a more fantasy based enemy esthetic like those in past From games. The creativity used in enemy design in their other series are spectacular.

A human soldier with a gun or some light armor and a plank shield is so meh... I know they need goons to fill the space, but hope it pushes past this more than embracing it.

After seeing these kinda enemies, I wasn't worried anymore. Clan of psychotic claw wielding mutilated people/experiments...

DmumSc0VAAA8m1c.jpg

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, imagine getting flown out to Tokyo to preview a From Software game. Living the dream.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
These are my |OT| suggestions from another thread:

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice |OT| Blade Runner 1589

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice |OT| Lone Wolf Saves Cub

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice |OT| Tenchu Very Much!

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice |OT| You Only Live Twice

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, missed it. Those enemies and that boss at the end is exactly what I was hoping to see

I love the sword-clanking pace of the action too. Looks like it adds a dance-like rhythm to the combat that Souls and Borne didn't have
Glad to see it's what you've been looking for. :)
There is a lot to the prosthetic arm and how it plays into your other sword moves. And man, I watched the demo gameplay from a few days ago and these hitboxes look delicious. Like ducking under a horizontal attack by a hair while doing some whirl leading into some flashy strike yourself. It's beautiful.
Got the timestamp about right I think, 5 or 10 seconds more.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
I just want From to upgrade their engine after Sekiro, with all the money they have to, the DS3 engine doesn't look that good in 2019.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Please show a new area. Still my #1 most anticipated game for the year but please show a new area.

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
So I did some digging, looks like:

- Not all streamers were at From's Tokyo office, there might have been events in the US and EU as well.
- Some of them had anywhere from 3-6 hours with the game but must present and edit it down to under 30 mins of gameplay footage.
- Should be very light on boss spoilers but that remains to be seen.