• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
This game has to match the Pro/X enhancements quality. Rise is the most flexible optimized game this gen.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Woah, that box art is badass. Has a great composition.

I was pretty disappointed by Rise, but I loved Tomb Raider 2013. I'll keep an eye on this and see if it looks to make any improvements. I like the tone it has going for it at least.

Oct 26, 2017
Those Mayan temples are perfect for Tomb Raider. Hopefully this time around some actual challenge in these puzzles. I feel that Underworld had this nicely done and reboot and Rise not too great in that aspect.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't stayed 100% caught up, but they basically had a fragment of Queen Himeko still 'stuck' within Sam, and Sam, sensing that she was slowly losing herself to Himeko's power, checks herself into an asylum and all but threatens Lara to not come back.

But apparently, looking at the wiki, that got resolved, so I guess I'm (mildly) pleasantly surprised?

edit: But looking at Camilla's twitter post, the whole thing might be wrong anyways, so who knows?

edit2:

She is pretty bad, and Rise certainly didn't help set up a proper motivation by re-focusing on Trinity and the daddy issues, rather than a genuine wish to explore and raid tombs.

That being said, I doubt Eidos pushes the envelope and instead goes with Lara not contuing to be visually asexual but hints of heterosexuality.

I would be far more invested in a story about Lara's relationship issues then yet another story about fighting a mysterious shadow organization to avenge her father.

That has got to be the most tired-ass plot line in the history of video games.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
In for this...ready for Lara in the reboot to actually become the tomb raider ...you know raid more tombs and shoot slightly less people ....

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It looks like Dia De Los Muertos will be part of the game too:

Also HQ Croft Edition pic:

DbutWRKU8AEiSC3.jpg

Her face here looks pretty close to the 2013 face render used on the steelbook edition. I don't think she's going to look like she does in the magazine. Probably finally nailing her 2013 target design?

082d9fef97ca47516fe67414b136f61c.jpg

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unsurprising that the Sam news turned out to be false. Square Enix fridged her pretty quick when people started asking too many questions.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I would be far more invested in a story about Lara's relationship issues then yet another story about fighting a mysterious shadow organization to avenge her father.

That has got to be the most tired-ass plot line in the history of video games.

As would I, but that 'relationship' story kinda already happened in TR2013, depending on how you look at it.

And going off the popular response to that game's narrative being more focused 'cognitive dissonance' argument on Lara's being helpless in cutscenes vs mowing hundreds of solarii down in gameplay, and a lot of people not liking the overall story of saving Sam in terms of sufficient motivation, I don't think Crystal Dynamics wanted to push the envelope with Rise - hence their fridging Sam off-screen, but still using Jonah, for some reason.

But in any event, Shadow is gonna be 'real' important in whether or not they actually show Lara enjoying the tomb raiding and exploring, and not ONLY doing this for revenge for Daddy. Which is why Sam (and even Jonah and Reyes) appearing would have been potentially neat.

What questions were they asking, and what was the context for them to 'fridge' her?

There were a fair few questions along the line of asking if Lara and Sam are lesbians, essentially.

It was even asked directly to Rihanna Pratchett, I think.

Oct 26, 2017
Her face here looks pretty close to the 2013 face render used on the steelbook edition. I don't think she's going to look like she does in the magazine. Probably finally nailing her 2013 target design?

082d9fef97ca47516fe67414b136f61c.jpg

Oh damn, you're right actually. Had not paid attention to that other cover art. Looks nothing like the magazine indeed, good.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What questions were they asking, and what was the context for them to 'fridge' her?

People were curious about the "closeness" of Lara and Sam's "friendship," especially fueled by comments the writer, Rhianna Pratchett, made about how she had wanted to make Lara gay.

In the comics that take place between the first and second game, Sam gets fridged when the Himiko spirit resurfaces inside her and she goes nuts and ends up locked in a mental institution. In a second series of comics after the second game she gets freed from the spirit again and Lara sends her away to keep her safe from Trinity.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was the response?

She stated that she considered making Lara gay, but chose not to.

Whether you believe that response or not is up to you, but something tells me Square Enix wouldn't allow a writer to "choose" something as groundbreaking as making Lara gay.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why in the hell they're bringing back Reyes.

Her single role in the game was to constantly second-guess every single thing Lara did just because in every survival story you need the one asshole who has to be contrarian.

Like I want more of that.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't like this confusion about whether her friends are returning or not at all. Camilla pretty much says they aren't . I wouldn't mind though. Give her new allies, new people. Also after the ending of Rise I wouldn't really expect her friends to come back.

Where did they even go to after TR 2013?

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why in the hell they're bringing back Reyes.

Her single role in the game was to constantly second-guess every single thing Lara did just because in every survival story you need the one asshole who has to be contrarian.

Like I want more of that.
Look at the bright side, it's another chance for the character to be killed off.

I really didn't like her either.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
So Sam ain't coming back? Goddamn it. I swear to god if Reyes and Jonah DO come back but Sam doesn't

Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely disappointing. I enjoy the gameplay of these games but they had a real missed opportunity to do something special and groundbreaking and instead decided to cave like cowards.

What am I missing here? Why is it considered such a disaster that Sam and Reyes likely are not returning? What groundbreaking thing are we talking about?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
She stated that she considered making Lara gay, but chose not to.

Whether you believe that response or not is up to you, but something tells me Square Enix wouldn't allow a writer to "choose" something as groundbreaking as making Lara gay.
Isn't that exactly what happened with LiS?