• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like this update was based around the day or so Yu Suzuki visited in person. I'd imagine the other characters have a relatively small number of lines and are either being recorded around or after the leads. As for why they haven't been announced, it's hard to say. Could be they weren't cast yet, or they want it to be a secret, or it was simply an oversight.

Looking at the recording studio, it's a strange company. They do videogames, life sciences and finance? Their portfolio includes Witcher III which isn't too shabby, I guess. Apparently they also do translations, so maybe they're handling that as well.

Also, the face of someone waiting 17 years to play another Shenmue game:
a1d12b40d3d5aa6ee49d82722f6e774e_original.jpg

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
That's not the whole voice acting cast right??
No, obviously not.

EDIT: Sorry, that sounded too blunt. The whole cast won't be present at a single recording session, and even for the Japanese VA they only officially announced Ryo/Shenhua. They might do further updates to announce voice talent doing key roles, but who knows. I think the focus will be on the marketing push from here on.

The guy on the right of the photo Ghost_Messiah posted is voice actor Christopher Bevins. The theory is he's playing one of the larger characters. Some people think Ren, but we don't really know yet.

Last edited:

Blunoise

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
No, obviously not.

EDIT: Sorry, that sounded too blunt. The whole cast won't be present at a single recording session, and even for the Japanese VA they only officially announced Ryo/Shenhua. They might do further updates to announce voice talent doing key roles, but who knows. I think the focus will be on the marketing push from here on.

The guy on the right of the photo Ghost_Messiah is voice actor Christopher Bevins. The theory is he's playing one of the larger characters. Some people think Ren, but we don't really know yet.
I wish they got the old cast tho but thanks

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
With all this drama around Metro Exodus becoming an Epic exclusive, is there any concern of that happening with Shenmue III? Personally I like these platforms having some competition, but I know a lot of people have strong feelings about this and a game like Shenmue probably needs the install base of Steam to do well.

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
With all this drama around Metro Exodus becoming an Epic exclusive, is there any concern of that happening with Shenmue III? Personally I like these platforms having some competition, but I know a lot of people have strong feelings about this and a game like Shenmue probably needs the install base of Steam to do well.

I think it's unlikely. Deep Silver would likely need buy off from YsNet, Shibuya Productions, and possibly even Sega. If any one of them thinks it would limit the game's sales potential then it's a non-starter.

There's also the possibility that Deep Silver is already regretting the move with Metro and didn't anticipate this level of community anger.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
For now, no.

Unlike the Ubisoft partnership that included "additional select titles" alongside The Division 2 in the press release, the press release for Metro Exodus had no language like that, and only committed to bringing other Metro games to Epic later in the year. It's not a blanket exclusivity agreement.

Ultimately, Epic are picking and choosing a few selected big fish to get people onto their platform, and I don't really think Shenmue is large enough to get on their radar in the same way. Similarly, I don't think Deep Silver wants to bet the farm on Epic, unless Metro somehow does amazingly on PC regardless of the current controversy.

I think Shenmue will probably be left out of this, but it depends on Metro's performance IMO. In an ideal world, Shenmue III will launch on both Steam and the Epic store simultaneously (the revenue cut is extra appealing as it waives the UE4 licencing royalties for sales on the Epic store).

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely think Shenmue 3 will be sold in the Epic Games store, just not exclusively. It would be silly to pass up the revenue split they offer for customers that want to use that storefront.

I personally would buy the game from EGS to get more money from the sale to YsNet.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
So the Magic Monaco 2019 press conference is set for tomorrow (Thursday Feb 7) at 11am in Auvers-sur-Oise, France. So that means 5am Eastern time. Guess I'll wake up to some Shenmue news tomorrow!

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
So the Magic Monaco 2019 press conference is set for tomorrow (Thursday Feb 7) at 11am in Auvers-sur-Oise, France. So that means 5am Eastern time. Guess I'll wake up to some Shenmue news tomorrow!
Yep. I'm going to set up a thread tonight, or maybe an hour before the event. Not expecting a megaton at the press conference itself, but details about what to expect at MAGIC proper will be very welcome.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
I posted a brief analysis video of the 2018 prophecy trailer, in case anyone's interested:

The main purpose of this was just because I was interested in seeing a visualization of the framerate drops during the trailer. I found it interesting after making a motion smoothed version of the trailer that the part with the moon still appeared choppy, which was one of the reasons I was surprised that the framerate was perfectly fine there. I'm not entirely sure why that would have happened - maybe someone was controlling the camera by hand, maybe they recorded that scene with an unlocked framerate (~40 to 50fps) then resampled it to 30 for the trailer - maybe it's uneven frame pacing which we can't see from a 30fps source - who knows.

I had wanted the ability to do DF-style framerate analysis for a while, and since they use their own in-house tools for that I wrote my own tool to do the same thing. I may do future videos on other games as well, but right now my capture hardware is about 10 years old and doesn't support HDMI (it's component) so I should probably upgrade that at some point. I used to capture more often during the PS3 & Wii era, not so much anymore especially with the PS4 having capture built in.

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
So, I started playing Shenmue 1 HD a few days ago. I'm currently
looking at getting a job with the harbor to get closer to the Mad Dogs
Yes, I've ran into the hitch dealing with some movement controls. But I wanted to raise something important up. The NPCs around Ryo feel really alive because they desperately try to gain his attention while he's set on a path of vengeance.

In a passive method, it shows how many people you can affect negatively in your life that love you and care about you by feeding yourself to anger, hatred or even a twisted sense of duty. For the Dreamcast era, that's a really powerful statement and I love how it's optionally incorporated into Ryo's hero journey. I'm guessing over time or by Shenmue 2 he calms down on the excessive force used on criminal scum (while I find this part of him rather entertaining compared to the inherent restraint found elsewhere). But speaking to Ine-san that wants her boy in at a safe hour, Noriko going on about studies and how Eri is having issues, Nozomi worried about her *cough* MAN*cough* and local children wanting to play with their big brother of the neighborhood again, you really get a sense for how much humanity and friendship Ryo sacrifices for his newfound mission.

It's sad, but interesting and makes me want to see how he learns from this journey to reject his inner darkness, while perhaps learning to open his heart to allowing others by his side, to face Lan Di.

I'd also appreciate it if any veterans came away with a similar conclusion to what the NPC interactions added or something else.

Last edited:

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
What does the text say at the end of Shenmue 1? I'm surprised they didn't sub those.
Can you elaborate? Are you talking about the scene where the boat is leaving with Ryo on it? Do you have subtitles turned off? It was subtitled when I played it.

In the original Japanese Dreamcast version, there was no voiceover for it. In the English version they added a voice over. In the HD re-releases, if you play in Japanese there are English subtitles that appear for that scene but no narration which is consistent with the Japanese original. If you play in English, then you have both unless you disabled subtitles.

It's just another version of the Shenhua prophecy also featured in the 2nd game and the trailer for the 3rd game.

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Can you elaborate? Are you talking about the scene where the boat is leaving with Ryo on it? Do you have subtitles turned off? It was subtitled when I played it.

In the original Japanese Dreamcast version, there was no voiceover for it. In the English version they added a voice over. In the HD re-releases, if you play in Japanese there are English subtitles that appear for that scene but no narration which is consistent with the Japanese original. If you play in English, then you have both unless you disabled subtitles.

It's just another version of the Shenhua prophecy also featured in the 2nd game and the trailer for the 3rd game.

Yeah, I just noticed. I was playing in Japanese audio/English text, that was why I guess. The rest of the game was subtitled fine though.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Replaying Shenmue 2 at the moment and the Hong Kong portion of the game is pretty damn impressive still for a game that was originally made on the Dreamcast. The amount of individual interiors and different quarters (each of which have a different feel/atmosphere to the next) is pretty staggering. Its actually pretty funny, I love Yakuza but want a slightly bigger open world (not massive, just a block or two bigger than it is now) and it feels like Shenmue 2 managed it almost 20 years ago. Makes me really excited to see just how they represent the regions of China you visit in 3.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017

TFW Shenmue is on the cover of a magazine.

Summary of the article (minor spoilers)

Affinity system - Characters won't immediately open up to you with information or their back story. You have to interact with them for a while and earn their trust.

Gambling - Lucky hit makes a return as well as a new game where you throw balls into buckets.

Jobs - There will be new jobs for Ryo to work (none are revealed in the article)

Combat - The fighting will be "deeper and more satisfying." It has been modernized, but retains the look of the originals. Fighting is divided into three stats: Attack Power, Endurance, and Kung Fu. Endurance is governed by a stamina meter on the screen. Things like running (out of combat) and attacking will drain the meter, but it can be replenished by eating food from your inventory. Attack power is how hard you hit, which can be leveled up through training and mini games. Increasing your attack power and endurance will improve your Kung Fu, which allows you to learn new moves. Move scrolls also make a return and work in a similar way to the originals.

Mini games- Some of the training mini games include a fighting arena called "Rose Garden" with scaling difficulty, a "Martial Hall" with a "Horse Stance" game where you have to hold an unusual position, and a "One Inch Punch" where you fight a wooden dummy.

Inventory - Has a new interface and can be used in a variety of ways, including eating food (as mentioned above). Doesn't take any inspiration from other open world games.

Controls - Plays very similar to the original games, but makes use of the second analog stick for camera. You still interact with objects using a first person camera.

Miscellaneous - You can customize Ryo's appearance with new clothes.

-The game starts right after Shenmue II, meaning Ryo is the same oblivious character we've come to love.

-Shenhua's father has been kidnapped (not sure if this was ever officially revealed).

-The story begins with Ryo looking for a man named Mr. Yuan, but due to the new affinity system, villagers are unwilling to reveal information up front, to a stranger.

-A character early on will defeat you in a fight and send you to the "Martial Hall" for training.

-If you speak to Bailu villagers alongside Shenhua, they'll be more open to you.

-The more you speak to Shenhua, the closer you'll get and your relationship will grow.

-Ryo uses Yuan currency this time around.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'd wondered what happened to
Shen Hua's father. I assumed he was dead for some reason

Only thing that could concern me in the gameplay section is the stamina for attacking, however I remember at least the second PSP Yakuza game using a similar stat like that, and it actually made the combat feel more deliberate and tactical, as you couldn't just throw out attacks and dodges over and over, and had to smartly counter and dodge only when needed so you'd not run out of stamina when you needed to attack. If Yu implements it well (and I've no reason to believe he won't) it should be pretty awesome.

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
Affinity system - Characters won't immediately open up to you with information or their back story. You have to interact with them for a while and earn their trust.

This is what I am most excited about. Sounds like the perfect evolution of the Shenmue conversation/investigation system.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Carrying on with my Shenmue 2 playthrough and just reached Wong's boat. I'd forgotten how brilliant the morning cutscene was for that bit, when this piece of music starts playing:

Sets the scene perfectly, Shenmue 1 and 2's soundtracks are basically unlike anything else I've heard in a game, I sure hope 3's gets the same love and attention.

Anyway, I've found myself really enjoying most of the mini games in S2 this go round, not that I disliked them initially but I just never found myself playing them much, I think they did a good job fleshing things out from the first game - like having you play against people in Darts for example. Also, I've really enjoyed the other gambling stuff, especially Lucky Hit for the toys. Speaking of which, I think its only the remaster that has it, but the way it displays your collectables in the remaster has made me even more inclined to collect as many of them as possible. I'm doing pretty good as well, aside from Gold Dural I only need a few of the Shenmue 1 collectables, while I have most of 2's as well. Quite happy I have a few of the slot machine based collectables as well, though I don't see myself getting the token requirement ones (that said I did have a good win yesterday where I got 2K of them and a mini slot machine toy).

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TFW Shenmue is on the cover of a magazine.

Summary of the article (minor spoilers)

Gambling - Lucky hit makes a return as well as a new game where you throw balls into buckets.

Jobs - There will be new jobs for Ryo to work (none are revealed in the article)

Combat - The fighting will be "deeper and more satisfying." It has been modernized, but retains the look of the originals. Fighting is divided into three stats: Attack Power, Endurance, and Kung Fu. Endurance is governed by a stamina meter on the screen. Things like running (out of combat) and attacking will drain the meter, but it can be replenished by eating food from your inventory. Attack power is how hard you hit, which can be leveled up through training and mini games. Increasing your attack power and endurance will improve your Kung Fu, which allows you to learn new moves. Move scrolls also make a return and work in a similar way to the originals.

Mini games- Some of the training mini games include a fighting arena called "Rose Garden" with scaling difficulty, a "Martial Hall" with a "Horse Stance" game where you have to hold an unusual position, and a "One Inch Punch" where you fight a wooden dummy.

Inventory - Has a new interface and can be used in a variety of ways, including eating food (as mentioned above). Doesn't take any inspiration from other open world games.

Controls - Plays very similar to the original games, but makes use of the second analog stick for camera. You still interact with objects using a first person camera.

Miscellaneous - You can customize Ryo's appearance with new clothes.

-The game starts right after Shenmue II, meaning Ryo is the same oblivious character we've come to love.

-Shenhua's father has been kidnapped (not sure if this was ever officially revealed).

-The story begins with Ryo looking for a man named Mr. Yuan, but due to the new affinity system, villagers are unwilling to reveal information up front, to a stranger.

-A character early on will defeat you in a fight and send you to the "Martial Hall" for training.

-If you speak to Bailu villagers alongside Shenhua, they'll be more open to you.

-The more you speak to Shenhua, the closer you'll get and your relationship will grow.

-Ryo uses Yuan currency this time around.

0xhcBt8.gif

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
That reminds me, I did a spoiler-free summary of the information in the EDGE article over on the Dojo.

The spoilers in the article itself aren't huge, but it reveals how an early questline plays out. If you want to know more about how the Affinity System and certain aspects of combat and training work, the summary should see you through.

Shenmue III sounds like a true evolution for the series, and I'm glad Yu Suzuki was adamant about bringing new ideas to the table.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, just about to storm the
Yellowhead Building
in Shenmue 2. One of my favourite bits in the game. And thanks to the game giving me the option to relax for a day, I managed to add several rare toys to my collection including the Outrun Car, Panzer Dragoon toy, mini pool table, and even the super coveted Gold Dural and kids Clear Dural. Yay! I shouldn't be so obsessed with these toys, but for some reason I am, its incredibly fun and addictive.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Finally found a copy of Edge. Games magazines are really fucking hard to find now.

Had to find one, though. Shenmue III on the cover of Edge is one of those things that I'd love to send to myself from a decade ago, in the dark times.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017

The #MAGIC2019 schedule has been published!
http://www.magic-ip.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Programme-MAGIC-anglais.pdf

March 9, 2019:
- 9:30-10:30am Yu Suzuki signing session
- 10:50am Yu Suzuki #Shenmue3 conference (audio pack)
- 2:00-3:00pm Yu Suzuki signing session
- 5:35pm Shibuya Productions Crazy Time with Cédric Biscay

I'm gonna knock up a thread either Friday night or early Saturday morning for this, if that's okay.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
What is the marketing campaign going to look like moving forward? I'm trying to think of what events they can attend.

There's PAX and GDC coming up, but it's not looking like they'll be attending either.

I guess a presence on the E3 show floor is possible, though I'm not sure how much attention that really garners these days.

There's also the demo, assuming that is still happening, and we'll probably get one more trailer prior to release.

It's a weird road map without the Sony E3 tent pole, but at the same time maybe it's quiet enough to do some independent efforts and gain traction that way.

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
What is the marketing campaign going to look like moving forward? I'm trying to think of what events they can attend.

There's PAX and GDC coming up, but it's not looking like they'll be attending either.

I guess a presence on the E3 show floor is possible, though I'm not sure how much attention that really garners these days.

There's also the demo, assuming that is still happening, and we'll probably get one more trailer prior to release.

It's a weird road map without the Sony E3 tent pole, but at the same time maybe it's quiet enough to do some independent efforts and gain traction that way.

Gamescom on August 20th is almost surely a lock. Deep Silver had a presence at E3 last year, so they'll likely have a booth there this year. The PC gaming show at E3 is a conference where it could show up. I'm holding out hope that Sony will elect to do some kind of promotional video steam akin to a Nintendo Direct at some point in Spring or Summer, to promote titles coming to their platform this year. We'll see. It would be a shame for there not to be any North America focused events where Shenmue 3 shows up, as it remains game's largest market. Almost all the marketing has taken place at European events after the initial E3 announcement.

I could see the game shipping in Japan a month later, which would allow them to promote it actively at TGS this year once they find a publisher for that country.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017

The backer trial was confirmed to still be happening in an interview that was published a few days ago:
https://translate.google.com/transl...,15700021,15700186,15700190,15700248,15700253
The same interview confirms Cedric's comment last month that the game is "finished" and they're spending the last several months fixing and/or improving things.

I was thinking about the whole promotional situation earlier today as well. We have gotten a bunch of new information this past week, but all of it came from interviews and none of it was sent directly to backers. They've been very quiet about things that they probably know already and haven't really kept their direct supporters in the loop as much as I felt they should. Initially I thought to complain about that, but then I realized that it's in the best interest of the game for them to do things the way they have been. I would have never imported a copy of the latest issue of EDGE magazine if it didn't have the exclusive Shenmue 3 cover story - and that same world exclusive helped EDGE sell more issues of their magazine while additionally promoting the game to people seeing it on newsstands who don't follow gaming news. All of these exclusive interviews are providing free coverage from their respective outlets - consequently several popular gaming sites that weren't present last weekend and didn't get a chance to interview Suzuki-san had no interviews or news about the trailer at all. (Ex:, Polygon.)

With all of the new bits coming out of multiple interviews this past week, I hope we eventually get a summary from the people running the kickstarter of things. One thing that @ShenmueGuru got clarification on this past week from IGN's interviewer was the whole Niaowu vs Choubu situation. Recent articles had been referring to Choubu as Niaowu, and it turned out that this is intentional. Choubu was a mistake that's been around since the kickstarter in 2015 that resulted from the translation of Chinese to Japanese to English, and the team doing the English localization caught it and is using the accepted Chinese to English translation.

I really hope we hear more about what the plan is for the next several months. With how hush-hush they're being about the backer trial, I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until a few weeks before the game releases to drop that one. (But presumably they could use it to demo the game at E3 or elsewhere if they finish it sooner)

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Tried my best to tackle the sticky subject of the Shenmue boycotts in our latest episode. Hope I presented the situation fairly.

THQ discussion starts at 53:05

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Tried my best to tackle the sticky subject of the Shenmue boycotts in our latest episode. Hope I presented the situation fairly.

THQ discussion starts at 53:05

Sounded pretty well reasoned.

That Playstation stream on the 25th seems like a good opportunity to feature Shenmue, although my gut says it would just be the Monaco trailer again.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
has yu suzuki or anyone else working on the game said whether takenobu mitsuyoshi was ever contacted to work on the project?
i'm still a little bummed we won't get any new shenmue tracks out of him for 3

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
has yu suzuki or anyone else working on the game said whether takenobu mitsuyoshi was ever contacted to work on the project?
i'm still a little bummed we won't get any new shenmue tracks out of him for 3
He's a SEGA employee, so was automatically off the table.

HOWEVER

Shenmue III's soundtrack will be utilising the huge and mostly unused library of songs created by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, Ryuji Iuchi, Yuzo Koshiro, Takeshi Yanagawa and Osamu Murata over the course of the Shenmue project.

So he'll still be represented by his original work on the series.

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
In the middle of Shenmue II and Ren has made this game so much better. It's nice to have someone counteract Ryo's deadfish personality for any extended period of time. He also sucks his teeth a lot *Tch*

Also, just to put this thought somewhere, but I think I prefer Ryo's model in Shenmue 1/2 over what I've seen from Shenmue 3. I don't know how weird that is for prior fans, but yeah. Perhaps it will take some getting used to in 3.

Also
I love how the Afterburner arcade machine is exalted on a pedestal in the middle of an empty room. Haha.

Last edited:

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
In the middle of Shenmue II and Ren has made this game so much better. It's nice to have someone counteract Ryo's deadfish personality for any extended period of time. He also sucks his teeth a lot *Tch*

Also, just to put this thought somewhere, but I think I prefer Ryo's model in Shenmue 1/2 over what I've seen from Shenmue 3. I don't know how weird that is for prior fans, but yeah. Perhaps it will take some getting used to in 3.

Ren is an awesome character. As much as I enjoy GuiZhang and his super-cool, level-headed demeanor, Ren is probably a more entertaining partner-in-crime for Ryo due to their clashing personalities. So I'm glad Ren will be a prominent character in III.

As for Ryo's character model, I'm sure it came out of MAGIC that the model used in the latest trailer, "Ryo & Master", has been tweaked again for the final game, so I don't think we've even seen the final model in motion yet. Regardless, I think once I've played for 10 minutes I'm sure my brain will say "yep, that's Ryo" and that's that -- same with Shenhua, who is purposefully different to her old model.