• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Easily more than that when you add the Japanese release in November. I'm thinking 750k to 1 million lifetime but it's hard to know because Shenmue ip has been out of commission for almost 20 years but at the same time was never given a fair chance to sell because of low install base on platforms such as dc and xbox.

Yeah, when it comes out in Japan, I'm thinking another 200k.

Mavrick07

Oct 28, 2017
So close! It'll be fun not having to drag the Dreamcast out to play them again.

h2Ll3lf.jpg

pmjH52R.jpg

LXZLNbr.jpg

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I need to play these games with the English audio at some point. I simply couldn't let my first full experience with these titles be through such godawful voice acting. I turned that shit off and swapped to Japanese with two minutes of starting the first game, and I absolutely don't regret it.

Also, I'm winding up at the docks now so I imagine I don't have much left of 1. I already know I've missed some things though, but it's fine because I know I'll be replaying this eventually. And it's doubly-fine because, as well as Xbox One, I also bought the game on PS4 digitally to do my part...

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It is a remaster, though. People just conflate remaster with remake, because of the strange ways that companies have been advertising their games.
It is genuinely a remaster though. New menus/UI, new graphics options, new control options, etc. A port would be closer to something like what SEGA did when they used the PlayStation 2 version of NiGHTS into Dreams and brought it to XBLA, PC and PSN. These versions of Shenmue are closer to the Xbox 360 version of Guardian Heroes or the HD release of Jet Set Radio. Once the sound issues are tackled these will be by far the best way to experience these games.
Higher resolution, new control options, etc... when you update an old game and add new things, it is, by definition, a remaster.
Nothing funny or weird about it. As others have pointed out, it's absolutely a remaster. New/redesigned HUD, new controls, new graphics options, widescreen, English and Japanese audio, and I'm sure there's more I've forgotten. It's a disservice just to call them HD ports.
This is top to bottom a remaster, son.
I don't want this to devolve into an argument, I'm just going to say that what you are saying is not correct and it's probably because of pre-conceived notions of what a remaster is and has been in video games. In every other industry - whether it be films or music - a remastered product involves the video and audio source material being "remastered". In video games, every legit remaster that has existed has had its textures and audio touched up to meet modern standards.

The definition of "REMASTER":
Remaster (also digital remastering and digitally remastered) refers to enhancing the quality of the sound or of the image, or both, of previously created recordings, either audiophonic, cinematic, or videographic.

I 100% know that these are massively improved games with improved graphical elements such as the UI, but they are not remastered. There's nothing about this being correct that reflects poorly on this collection at all. If you're going to be stubborn and call them remasters just to make it seem "fair" on the devs or whatever, then you might as well say Shenmue IIx was a remaster because of its improvements when it came to Xbox... when in fact it was a port.

And why then is SEGA not calling it a remaster? That's because it's not. They're referring to it as Shenmue I & II and nothing in the official description makes mention of the word "remaster" because they know that doing so would be dishonest. They want to be honest to the fans. These games are not simple ports either and there is a grey area where this collection sits, which is quite unique when compared to other HD re-releases.

Straight from Adam Koralik who spent time playing the game at SEGA Europe, who are the ones promoting it:

A funny thing about this is that Sega clearly have a definition: emailing back and forth with Sega about reviews, I referred to the game as "Shenmue HD Remaster", and in a reply the Sega chap i was talking to corrected me, to say - it's not Shenmue HD Remaster, it's just Shenmue 1 & 2. I think the argument is largely semantic, though, as I've definitely played "HD Remasters" with less polish/changes than this.

Thank you!

This is what I mean. Just because it's not an actual remaster, doesn't mean that any less love or effort was put into it to release it to the masses. They've done an insane amount of cool changes to bring it to modern platforms. It looks amazing. Re-texturing and replacing the low bitrate audio would have constituted what counts as a "remaster", but they didn't do that stuff for reasons I'm sure were not feasible. I'm glad that SEGA is addressing those calling it a remaster, but I'm still to cringe reading some of the reviews that view it as such.

Last edited:

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
I've only played Shenmue 1. Trying to decide if I wanna go play 2 on the XBOX, play 2 on HD, or play 1 again but with Japanese voices... hmm...

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Is this real? I can't stop laughing at this lol Definitely need to replay these games in english eventually, but I'm glad I chose the japanese dub for my first time.

It's real, but in Shenmue II's defence Wang actually stands out amongst an already bad dub as being the worst of the absolute worst LOL.

I've played Shenmue II in both English and Japanese, and honestly, I feel like the atmosphere and sense of immersion are both so damn strong that the English dub still isn't enough to ruin the experience.

I got used to it really quickly and I actually think I prefer to play the games in English. That's just me though.

Would be quite hilarious if this sells millions and sega wants to help with shenmue 3.

That's why everyone should buy two copies! We need to send SEGA a nice big message! :D

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Just got the plat.

2cwlybr.jpg

I've played the first one so many times through the years so I knew exactly what to do and where to go. The second will take longer, only played that one twice. Once on Dreamcast and once on the Xbox.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those of you saying Yu Suzuki liked the English dub better are correct, I believe.

In fact he liked it so much he released the game a second time in the Japanese market with the English dub called, "US Shenmue".

latest

I wonder how the Japanese fans who bought this version enjoyed the legendary English dub.
I want this on a shirt

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the plat.

2cwlybr.jpg

I've played the first one so many times through the years so I knew exactly what to do and where to go. The second will take longer, only played that one twice. Once on Dreamcast and once on the Xbox.
Nice one. How would you rate the overall experience compared to playing the Dreamcast version?

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I don't want this to devolve into an argument, I'm just going to say that what you are saying is not correct and it's probably because of pre-conceived notions of what a remaster is and has been in video games. In every other industry - whether it be films or music - a remastered product involves the video and audio source material being "remastered". In video games, every legit remaster that has existed has had its textures and audio touched up to meet modern standards.

I 100% know that these are massively improved games with improved graphical elements such as the UI, but they are not remastered. There's nothing about this being correct that reflects poorly on this collection at all. If you're going to be stubborn and call them remasters just to make it seem "fair" on the devs or whatever, then you might as well say Shenmue IIx was a remaster because of its improvements when it came to Xbox... when in fact it was a port.

And why then is SEGA not calling it a remaster? That's because it's not. They're referring to it as Shenmue I & II and nothing in the official description makes mention of the word "remaster" because they know that doing so would be dishonest. They want to be honest to the fans. These games are not simple ports either and there is a grey area where this collection sits, which is quite unique when compared to other HD re-releases.

Straight from Adam Koralik who spent time playing the game at SEGA Europe, who are the ones promoting it:

Thank you!

This is what I mean. Just because it's not an actual remaster, doesn't mean that any less love or effort was put into it to release it to the masses. They've done an insane amount of cool changes to bring it to modern platforms. It looks amazing. Re-texturing and replacing the low bitrate audio would have constituted what counts as a "remaster", but they didn't do that stuff for reasons I'm sure were not feasible. I'm glad that SEGA is addressing those calling it a remaster, but I'm still to cringe reading some of the reviews that view it as such.

Why does this bother you so much? Like you, not trying to argue here, just hoping to understand why something as ridiculous as remaster terminology around Shenmue would make you "cringe".

Ragnarsson

Oct 27, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
I love reading the reactions of first-timers in this thread. Shenmue I and II are two of my all-time favorite games, and it feels great to see newcomers appreciate these titles as much as I did all those years ago. The only piece of advice I will give: take your time and enjoy these amazing games at your own pace; don't worry too much about the time limit, the game is more than generous and gives you plenty of time to complete the main quest. Shenmue I and II are as much about the main storyline beats as they are about the smaller moments, the side-activities, the non-mandatory conversations, the little moments that breathe life into that world. Every playthrough feels different precisely because of those moments, it's really hard to replicate a previous experience.

Right now, I can't afford to purchase the remasters, which is a bit painful, but this thread feels my heart with joy. It truly does. A Shenmue thread in 2018... oh man...

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Why does this bother you so much? Like you, not trying to argue here, just hoping to understand why something as ridiculous as remaster terminology around Shenmue would make you "cringe".
Hey dude, I'm just trying to be correct about something and prevent misinformation. Wouldn't we all like that about Shenmue in particular? SEGA clearly doesn't want this being called a remaster. A remaster is what it is - factually. I think it's better to be correct than not, and to not influence others to be incorrect or have uncalled for expectations, is all.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Nice one. How would you rate the overall experience compared to playing the Dreamcast version?

I enjoyed it just as much now as back then. It still looks good. The hands on the characters are the main thing that stand out as old looking with them being a block. But the rest looks clean and smooth.

There is an option to turn the HD filter off and have it how it used to be but I never tried it to see how much difference is made.

The one thing I missed was the VMU beeping when you learn a new move and get it right. Here it feels a little flatter.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Is this real? I can't stop laughing at this lol Definitely need to replay these games in english eventually, but I'm glad I chose the japanese dub for my first time.

Well, found a bug at last. Played a tape on the cassette player and after a while the music became weird and the game stopped recognizing any button input. Only lost about 10 Minutes, still annoying, though.

Too real!

1534688550516434df7f0i4cin.png

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Hey dude, I'm just trying to be correct about something and prevent misinformation. Wouldn't we all like that about Shenmue in particular? SEGA clearly doesn't want this being called a remaster. A remaster is what it is - factually. I think it's better to be correct than not, and to not influence others to be incorrect or have uncalled for expectations, is all.

I'm with you on respecting the will of the folks putting this thing out. But I just think it's splitting hairs, personally. The game was updated in a number of ways to make it run on modern platforms and look better than it ever has. If people refer to that as a remaster, I certainly wouldn't bat an eye. THQ released Darksiders 2 Deathfinitive edition, and wanted the game to be referred to as such. I wouldn't bat an eye if anyone didn't refer to it as Deathfinitive and just called it a remaster instead. Agree to disagree on it though.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if any of the reviews will rip it because none of the side stuff is marked like modern sandbox games (even though it's not really), or that it's not an action packed game like Yakuza nor meant to be. I'll buy it as long as it's a decent port though.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The voice acting being so bad in Shenmue was always a shock to me just due to how big and important the game was for Sega. It was just shocking that voice acting of that quality for a game that big made it through.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it just as much now as back then. It still looks good. The hands on the characters are the main thing that stand out as old looking with them being a block. But the rest looks clean and smooth.

There is an option to turn the HD filter off and have it how it used to be but I never tried it to see how much difference is made.

The one thing I missed was the VMU beeping when you learn a new move and get it right. Here it feels a little flatter.
Great to hear. I'll personally be messing around with the filters a lot.

I'm hoping that they did something similar to the VMU beep with the DualShock 4 speaker.

I'm with you on respecting the will of the folks putting this thing out. But I just think it's splitting hairs, personally. The game was updated in a number of ways to make it run on modern platforms and look better than it ever has. If people refer to that as a remaster, I certainly wouldn't bat an eye. THQ released Darksiders 2 Deathfinitive edition, and wanted the game to be referred to as such. I wouldn't bat an eye if anyone didn't refer to it as Deathfinitive and just called it a remaster instead. Agree to disagree on it though.
It's possible that I'm being a bit pedantic on this, but hey, everyone's different. I surely don't think less of anyone for calling this a remaster, but nobody knows how it might harm someone's expectations if they are told it's something that they find out that it's not. As far as a review is concerned, I think it's important to get the facts right. As a colloquialism in every day life I suppose, it's not really that a big deal.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm Ryo. I'm Japanese and I can't pronounced Yo-ko-suka.
While Mr. Kermit Wang here is just perfect

I will say this in defense of the English dub:

- as a non-native speaker of English who played the game back in the day as a teen, the dub didn't strike me as bad because I wasn't good enough at English to notice the poor voice acting. I was just amazed to see such an expansive game with voiced characters everywhere. That alone helped immersion tremendously. But then again, I didn't notice The House of the Dead 2's awful voice acting back then either lol

- IIRC, for Shenmue 1 at least, the idea was to have most, if not all voice actors be bilinguals, which definitely shows they had their heart in the right place and cared about authenticity. It's safe to say that most people involved with the dub had some sort of Japanese cultural background, so that always informs their performances to some unconscious, hard-to-quantify degree even if said performances are poor on the whole. It gave the whole experience a quiet/calm feel that I'm not sure a traditional dub with English-speakers VAs would have achieved as well. Not to mention their Japanese pronunciation was on the money at least. You can see examples of this in the way the little girl with the cat (sorry, her name escapes me right now) pronounces Ryo's name with a perfect Japanese accent. This priority might explain why the voice acting was so weak. It's not as easy to find good, professional VAs who are also English/Japanese bilinguals, let alone many of them. Ironically, if I'm not mistaken, Corey Marshall, the voice of Ryo, isn't bilingual (or at least, Japanese isn't his mother tongue), so his pronunciation of Japanese names suffers as a result in some places. Yeah, his "YokoSUka" is glaring, but then, he says "Fuku-san" correctly, so hey, there's that at least.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017

Thank you!

Bumping the resolution, including AA and 16:9 is enough to enhance the image to call it a Remaster. I don't agree with your definition, which seems to say that it requires the textures to be enhanced. Even in audio, a remaster can technically be just some engineer adding a new filter and compressing the sound to be louder. The results are often criticized by people who know how audio works, but even these types of lazy jobs can be called remasters.

Also, you can't rely on Sega's answer to define what a remaster is. They don't want you to call it Shenmue: REMASTERED because that isn't its title, and they also don't want to be directly compared to other remasters where those companies put more effort into it.

Personally I still think it technically fits the bill of a remaster, it just doesn't compare as favorably to others, such as Final Fantasy X and Shadow of the Colossus, where they put a lot more effort into it.

Also the fact that they modify the controls to be more modern, as well as adding more audio and video options (though they didn't actually improve the quality of the audio). A video game can have more things changed that just visually, which is why judging a remaster only on video/audio seems like a limitation.

Last edited:

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think Shenmue was one of the first 3D adventure games with a fully voiced cast, I guess a few PC RPGs had as well around that time. I would give the English voice acting for the first game like a D and the second can have a F.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Just got the plat.

2cwlybr.jpg

Congrats!
How did you unlock this; Practice Makes Perfect: Practise your Kung Fu in the Dojo with Fuku-san?
I practiced and mastered the move on the 2nd day but it hasn't unlocked for me.

Last edited:

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Remember to save often, friends, especially now that they added the save anywhere function. I just got to a pivotal moment involving Ryo borrowing Ito's bike and the game crashed, resulting in me losing around two hours of progress today. Back to the forklifts for me...

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Congrats!
How did you unlock this; Practice Makes Perfect: Practise your Kung Fu in the Dojo with Fuku-san?
I practiced and mastered the move on the 2nd day but it hasn't unlocked for me.

You actually get it when you spar with him the day after the fight in the arcade over the boat ticket. The description for the trophy in the guide on ShenmueDojo is wrong, I was trying for ages during the same bit you mentioned.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
You actually get it when you spar with him the day after the fight in the arcade over the boat ticket. The description for the trophy in the guide on ShenmueDojo is wrong, I was trying for ages during the same bit you mentioned.
Ah ok thank you! I was worried that it had somehow glitched.

Oct 31, 2017
Pre ordered on Amazon , and I have Prime, but says it won't arrive till Thursday. Wut

edit: complained to customer service, they upgraded me to 1 day delivery at no extra cost. very strange but cool none the less.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8106

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All this bug talk is a bit worrisome to me, as I like having physical games complete on disk. Having said that, does anyone know if it is usual for future batches of copies to be patched, or have the patch on disk? Or do I have to pray for a special or different edition? I know there is a Special Edition only for Japan coming later, is there any way to verify what comes on disk before release?
No way Sega will print the game again just to include a patch...

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
How do I spar with him? I can't seem to find the option.

It only lets you do it at certain points. Some days he'll just talk about your next objective or not be in the dojo at all, then sometimes ask if you want to spar.

I just made it a point to go and see if he was in the dojo first thing in the morning every day.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It only lets you do it at certain points. Some days he'll just talk about your next objective or not be in the dojo at all, then sometimes ask if you want to spar.

I just made it a point to go and see if he was in the dojo first thing in the morning every day.
Yeah it just gave the option that time. Thanks for all the help!