Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Really good post.

PS3 had 5 big budget exclusive FPS titles across 2 different franchises and neither caught fire.

I think FPS is probably the hardest genre to penetrate right now. Is there any other genre where people have more brand loyalty than competitive shooters? The Siege player doesn't have much room for another shooter and that goes for the Overwatch, Apex, COD player as well. They might dabble in other FPS but once they find 'their' game, they're gonna stick with it. The skill gap in these games is so high that if you want to improve you pretty much have to stick to one over all others.

If Sony 1st party is set on making a FPS I'd want them to make something more akin to Prey or Fallout than try to make a dent in an already extremely crowded multiplayer market with a high chance of failure.

Nah Guerrilla definitely has the chops to make a competitive shooter that maintains a sizable community. I wanna see it next gen.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well titanfall was made by some original cod devs so it's obvious they'd have similarities. but my point is that titanfall wasn't a big game at all lol
Titanfall was announced 18 months before Advance Warfare. That game is very different but I believe they added some mechanics because of Titanfall. Look what PUBG did and how quick Fortnite responded.

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing would make me happier but haven't they had several cracks at proving that true already?

KZ2 had a strong community. Not sure about 3 and SF was obviously rush job. I don't think Guerrilla is the same studio it was back then though. I would expect their next shooter to be the same level of Horizon Zero Dawn. It's definitely genre I think Sony wants to get back into. If you are going to do more MP games then a competitive shooter is a given.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
KZ2 had a strong community. Not sure about 3 and SF was obviously rush job. I don't think Guerrilla is the same studio it was back then though. I would expect their next shooter to be the same level of Horizon Zero Dawn.
My default position has always been I want studios/people to make the games they want to make. As long as Sony isn't chasing a 'hole' in their lineup and Guerrilla is making the shooter they want to on their terms, I'm all for it.

Hopefully internal expectations for a 1P competitive shooter (if thats what it is) are reasonable.

Jul 15, 2019
KZ2 had a strong community. Not sure about 3 and SF was obviously rush job. I don't think Guerrilla is the same studio it was back then though. I would expect their next shooter to be the same level of Horizon Zero Dawn. It's definitely genre I think Sony wants to get back into. If you are going to do more MP games then a competitive shooter is a given.
yeah they (sony) did say they want to do more multiplayer next-gen which i am 100% on board with. i bet whatever the multiplayer game GG has been working on for the last year will be out for the ps5 launch

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
So with PlayStation doing the China Joy event and working to make more progress in the Chinese market are there any rumblings or expectations of bigger things on the horizon? For example opening or acquiring studios in China?

Also with Evo starting today, IF Sony is going to announce anything are we likely to see it on the first day or another day?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
So with PlayStation doing the China Joy event and working to make more progress in the Chinese market are there any rumblings or expectations of bigger things on the horizon? For example opening or acquiring studios in China?

Also with Evo starting today, IF Sony is going to announce anything are we likely to see it on the first day or another day?

It'll most likely be Sunday since that's when most of the eyes are on the show.

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
I am currently watching Dark on Netflix and I kind of get Death Stranding vibes from it due to all the time travel stuff (just less futuristic).

Maybe its because one of the characters (Ulrich) looks exactly like Mads Mikkelsen. lol IDK.

Jul 15, 2019
So what are the chances Death Stranding gets delayed? People on here seem to believe that Death Stranding will be delayed considering Kojima is apparently crunching 3+ months out from release.
This is why they think that:

Personally, I believe Kojima was using crunch as in "it's crunch time baby" instead of the bad crunch? Do you know what I mean?

That being said, should it be a concern that Death Stranding development seems to be pretty frantic at this time? Kojima doesn't seem confident in the release date based off of what he said at SDCC: "I am still working on it" in response to someone asking about the November release.

So what do you think? Is the game going through development hell? Does that explain the lack of actual gameplay (no demo)? Will it be delayed? What is going on here?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
So what are the chances Death Stranding gets delayed? People on here seem to believe that Death Stranding will be delayed considering Kojima is apparently crunching 3+ months out from release.

Personally, I believe Kojima was using crunch as in "it's crunch time baby" instead of the bad crunch? Do you know what I mean?

That being said, should it be a concern that Death Stranding development seems to be pretty frantic at this time? Kojima doesn't seem confident in the release date based off of what he said at SDCC: "I am still working on it" in response to someone asking about the November release.

So what do you think? Is the game going through development hell? Does that explain the lack of actual gameplay (no demo)? Will it be delayed? What is going on here?

I'm taking the bait, only so others hopefully won't. There is nothing to worry about there.

THE END.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They have about two months before they have to go gold. "Crunching" is standard at that stage of development.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo

You don't appear to read much about actual game development, lol, Holy shit

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
1. As shown in the tweet, the official stance from Kojima himself on the release date for DS is 8th November and has not changed. Trying to read into his response at SDCC as a form of 'not confident' is an assumption at best. It may be true, it may also very well be a misinterpretation.

2. Most high-profile AAA development stories, both with crunch/without crunch has stories where developers work hard till the very last moment, be it bug-fixing/polishing/improvements/etc etc. Until a product goes gold, a ton of people put in many hours to get that game ready up till the finish line.

3. Is the game going through development hell? How would we know. Different games have different marketing/reveal beats that is factored by many different things. What's the rationale/logic of holding off gameplay of Cyberpunk 2077/Avengers till Gamescom? DS has been shown privately ( substantial amounts of it too, 2 hours ) to industry peers and other developers, and those impressions, while naturally biased - have been praised.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo

Why not bring it up in that thread? Most games go through this shitty unfortunate crunch period, its not new. Some alot longer but given japan's standard working hours they probably been at it for years lile this.

Widepread change in industry is needed, don't single out this game as being in dev hell. No one know, and I would give an educated guess as no, given time from announcement and studio formation to release

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
DS got the launch date around 5 months before release and the game should have been already near it's final development phase while the announcement.

Can see no dev hell.

Kojima also showed the game a lot of people like Jade Raymond shortly, would be weird for a game in dev hell.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I'm of the opinion that the best way to solve these discussions, about the many dormant series SIE has under its wings, is to create an studio dedicated to recover these licenses, whose creators don't want to touch anymore. It's an incredible waste of resources, that only because (time for acronyms) ND, SP, GG and others won't return to Jak, Sly, Infamous, Resistance and so on, all these series who've sold millions of units have to perish and be forgotten.

The occasional collab, as with Medievil, or Thieves in Time years ago, is a nice solution. But it would be much better if they were done internally, with larger resources, and on a regular basis, not once in a blue moon. Every big software company has some neglected IP in its bag, but Sony's might be the heaviest of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.