• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I'll take 1080p 60 until costs stabilize for higher res and textures.

And as others have pointed out, Sony and Nintendo are doing fine with SP that doesn't have microtransactions.

There is something to be said for the West Coast dev scene driving up costs, but if you don't pay your devs you don't get the talent. The crunch is also a factor.

I think publishers also have a tendancy to chase trends that increase their costs. But that's a side issue.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing that the problem with big single player games is that they cost more or less the same as GaaS games but they have limited or zero potential for recurring revenue or sustained player engagement over time. So if you're a publisher the question is, do you spend $80 million on a singleplayer game with no potential for extra revenue or on a GaaS which will be making you more money every single day?

I love singleplayer games and I hate GaaS but if I was CEO of Activision or EA I know what I would choose.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like bad timing for this to come out in arguably the best year ever for single player games. Plus not to mention a bunch of major single players games announced this year too.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
3RZ3zWx.png

That's what a God of War Dev says.
I mean, they've not been wholly immune to this.

God of War Ascension debuted at less than half what God of War 3 did in the UK, despite them working on it for three years.

Now, an obvious counter would be "The game was only rated an 80 on Metacritic while God of War 3 was rated a 92", but then this speaks to having to make Game of the Year quality level game to succeed at big budget AAA gaming, whereas games like Rainbow Six Siege (73 Metacritic), Dying Light (74 Metacritic), and Ghost Recon Wildlands (70 Metacritic) are some of the best selling games this generation.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm sure suits will make ever increasing efforts to chase the GaaS golden goose, but I think there's always a demand for good SP experiences and the GaaS trend hasn't reached saturation point yet even in the AAA industry. And if it does, I believe others will pick up the slack - yes, those games might have a lesser budget, but they can still be enjoyable and successful (relative to their cost to produce).

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I wonder how the interactivity of GAAS and market saturation will play out. There are simply too many games for people to play every game they would enjoy, and as the number of titles dials back due to GAAS spreading out efforts, consumers are allowed to buy a higher percentage of the releases. It essentially allows the publishers to avoid the game of chicken in being the first to reduce title output in an effort to achieve higher sales per title and man hour spent.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
High end AAA single player games aren't going away but I do think there will be particular publishers that won't bother with them at all. Thankfully indies and digital distribution have made it possible for something of a mid-tier to exist again.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A $30 low budget, low risk 3D platformer that they're also not bothering to market in any way at all. MS just isn't good at this whole single player thing.

The game looks good, but I'd agree that Microsoft sucks at marketing single player games or games that aren't generally in their wheelhouse.

Going buy her comment I wouldn't be surprised if they're looking at the Netflix model. Fund AA games that can bolster the gamepass line up six months after retail release.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
AAA SP games either need to scale down so their games are as ridiculously expensive to make, or they need to charge more for them. SP games can do well for themselves and we've seen it with recent Japanese releases. If publishers can't make a profit off a SP game with a $60 Price Tag and DLC/Season pass then something has to change with these games. I don't think the answer is making less SP games.

Of course the big controversy with this comes from EA backing out of the Visceral Star Wars game. In the end I'm not too surprised on this because I've yet to get a good SP experience from EA this gen yet. That's just me tho.

But if most game coming out recently have many things to do and alot of side activities etc. That it'll feel disappointing if it's a linear single player experince. Most of what we play from AAA now is open world and sometimes it hurt the game rather than make it great.

That's why in my opinion is that indies go wild becuase no certain expectations of what a 60$ game should be.

Last edited:

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always feel like the hardware makers have to take the hits, expanding the audience and making them happy. Sony focuses on SP games, and the third parties handle the gaas games. Nintendo to a lesser degree.

MS is going "fuck it" I guess? And just making gaas games as well?

Every single one of them makes GAAS games. A GAAS game is any game with post-launch dlc, so GT Sport and Breath Of The Wild are both GAAS games, for instance.

Oct 25, 2017
Every single one of them makes GAAS games. A GAAS game is any game with post-launch dlc, so GT Sport and Breath Of The Wild are both GAAS games, for instance.
I remember this debate at gaf.

Persona 5 I guess is a GAAS game. They put out DLC costumes after. Gravity rush 2? GAAS game. You can download a free costume a few weeks after. Infamous: Second Son? GAAS game because the expansion pack First light. Bloodborne? GAAAAAAS.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember this debate at gaf.

Persona 5 I guess is a GAAS game. They put out DLC costumes after. Gravity rush 2? GAAS game. You can download a free costume a few weeks after. Infamous: Second Son? GAAS game because the expansion pack First light. Bloodborne? GAAAAAAS.

...yes?

I'm not sure why you're acting like your previous Bloodborne being GAAS means it's bad or something.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
There's also the streaming / YouTube concern. Many single-player stories can be watched in their entirety on YouTube. They can also be successfully pirated.

Is this a valid concern, or just a publisher talking point? YouTubing a game for only the story seems to miss the point to me. The fun of games is actually playing them. They're still largely inferior to books, movies and television as a literary delivery medium.

Are there any studies or surveys that corroborate this?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Because it's kind of ridiculous to classify something with anything that has DLC as GAAS.

I would tend to agree, but I think we deal with the gray area of whether content has been withheld to monetize later. To me, a game doesn't become GAAS until the user can purchase non-unique content (loot boxes) or a continuing subscription.

Oct 25, 2017
Take it up with the games industry then, that's how they use the term.

Maybe you should just admit that the term "GAAS" incites an irrational level of distaste in you for no real reason?
I don't hate GAAS games. I just don't think it's properly used.

How is Bloodborne a Games as a service game? What service? It had one expansion pack and thats it. No little bits of dlc every week. No reason for you to come back and play every day because there was something new. No lootcrates. It was a single player game you bought. Then a few months later they released an expansion for it, then it was done.

But somehow Destiny 2 and Bloodborne are both considered GAAS.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
No, I do NOT want higher fidelity and "higher resolution graphics" LOL what even is that statement? Cant' we just have some damn games with lower budgets that have none of this loot crate/microtransaction bullshit in them? How was the industry able to survive for 30 years by creating nearly all games with none of this crap in them? I think it's greed plain and simple. There is money to be made in single player games that do not have additional revenue streams beyond the purchase of the game, but I have the feeling that just isn't enough for them.

What really sucks is that they say that game development is about delivering experiences and telling stories. I've got a news flash for you: You can still do that with a lower budget game and not have it come out looking like an Atari 2600 game with a horrible story.

The whole thing infuriates me and it feels like gaming as I've always known and loved it is slipping away.

Slightly related: I'm fine with any game having cosmetic microtransactions. A great example is Path of Exile. The game is free, it is massive, it is amazing and rivals the best "Diablo-likes" - and the only thing you can buy from their store is cosmetics - effects on weapons and abilities etc. I don't even think you can buy more storage? Regardless, they are not selling loot boxes for my chance to win a legendary weapon that will skew my power in the game.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I get the sense that Shannon Loftis is trying to slyly market the Xbox One X by saying that gamers demand better graphics.

Lazarre

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Well, I think that it's interresting to remember that all this "SP games crisis" started with this story : https://kotaku.com/the-collapse-of-viscerals-ambitious-star-wars-game-1819916152

"She was giving these massive presentations on the story, themes," said one person who worked on Ragtag. "EA executives are like, 'FIFA Ultimate Team makes a billion dollars a year.' Where's your version of that?"

Single-player is not "complicated". It's just "not enough money for EA executives". And EA have had this reputation of "we are only here for big bucks" for many many years.
But it doesn't mean there not enough a market for SP games, just that EA won't bother with this because they want only FIFA-like : low risk, high profit, which was always more the exception than the norm.

concrete1992

Oct 26, 2017
I get the main point, and agree to an extent, that we aren't going to see as many big single player focused games in the future. I see more NEW properties drifting in that direction for one reason or another. I sort of hope that happens honestly. Gives more space for smaller titles from the mid-tier and indie studios without big budget single player games clogging the market place. And that's where the weird new ideas are going to come from.

CrypticSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
I think a AAA WRPG would be a big boost to their portfolio and is one of the few Single player only attempts that could be successful for them if done right. If they wanted though they could add a horde mode to it. Looking at their history WRPGs have been successful on the platform and compared to other genres there isn't an abundance of them on the plat form. The ones that are coming out are doing really well and it's being said that there is a resurgence in the genre so maybe it would be a good idea to give that a whirl, I personally would love if they invested in one.

Lazarre

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
They already quite did : with collectors and digital premium content.
But no one would take the risk to raise the standard price, this would cause a huge drawback in sales.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I believe the issue is that high quality cinematics are a big standard and gamers don't want to them to be reduced. Creating them, voice acting, script, many people planning and executing... lots of salary payments not to mention marketing campaign costs to advertise those cinematics.

I wish more casual gamers gave a chance to more gameplay-oriented games in other genres than "most popular ones", but of course they are lesser known.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
I mean, they've not been wholly immune to this.

God of War Ascension debuted at less than half what God of War 3 did in the UK, despite them working on it for three years.

Now, an obvious counter would be "The game was only rated an 80 on Metacritic while God of War 3 was rated a 92", but then this speaks to having to make Game of the Year quality level game to succeed at big budget AAA gaming, whereas games like Rainbow Six Siege (73 Metacritic), Dying Light (74 Metacritic), and Ghost Recon Wildlands (70 Metacritic) are some of the best selling games this generation.
Yeah, I still do not understand how media still critices GoW Ascension. Media have destroyed this game when it came out. Such a shame, it wasn't so bad after all.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Look at the frustrations multiplayer online can cause, either through toxicity, server issues, balancing decisions, economic model. For all those reasons single player games will stay alive. This and the fact some people are there to live stories.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
still want to know where everybody is getting this "gamers demand massive graphical fidelity" thing from. I can't recall a time when the best looking game has ever been the highest selling one.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I believe the issue is that high quality cinematics are a big standard and gamers don't want to them to be reduced. Creating them, voice acting, script, many people planning and executing... lots of salary payments not to mention marketing campaign costs to advertise those cinematics.

I wish more casual gamers gave a chance to more gameplay-oriented games in other genres than "most popular ones", but of course they are lesser known.

But the most recent high rated, most fun (for me atleast) and most definitely will be most selling game is one with gibirish voice acting and generic story. Not saying it's low quality or low budget but maybe they should refocus on why we play games in the first place. It's gameplay.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
They already quite did : with collectors and digital premium content.
But no one would take the risk to raise the standard price, this would cause a huge drawback in sales.

They need to find a way to encourage more people to go digital so the creator's share of game cost goes up.

But the most recent high rated, most fun (for me atleast) and most definitely will be most selling game is one with gibirish voice acting and generic story. Not saying it's low quality or low budget but maybe they should refocus on why we play games in the first place. It's gameplay.

Just look at the CRPG boom. Very high content with minimal assets like that.

Last edited:

Flo_Evans

Oct 25, 2017

Right, we don't really need fully mo-capped and voice acted cut-scenes. If anything I'm becoming increasing impatient with these gameplay "breaks" and just skipping your budget bloating waste of disc/bandwith space.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
They're not dead? Only economically complicated?

What will I freak out about now? "Economically complicated" will not garner anywhere near as many apocalyptic threads, nor generate clicks.

That being said, I think single player is fine. It's just no longer dominates pretty much 100% of the market anymore.
If the future of single player games is anything like 2017, then I think I'll be fine.

That being said, I don't know how much longer I'll be able to put up with the open world "look at the great big number of content we generated" model that is ever increasingly popular. Not because of the economics, but moreso because I'm getting tired of open world, and specifically how it affects both pacing and repetition.|
I skip most-all sidequests as it is. The more single player shifts to sidequests and do small loops of grinding, the less I feel I get out of individual games.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
this is kind of hilarious... GOTY is either zelda or mario basically.

Being GOTY has very little to do with the conversation though. This is meant from the business view of actually creating the games and seeing a return on them. Whilst there are definitely some single-player success stories, there have been far more failures in recent years. When your counter-argument is the existence of two games that are the highest rated ever... maybe consider it may not be viable to suggest everyone else just follow the simple template of "create highest scoring game ever" for success.

still want to know where everybody is getting this "gamers demand massive graphical fidelity" thing from. I can't recall a time when the best looking game has ever been the highest selling one.

It's not really a case of having the best graphics, but rather not having what would be considered to be bad graphics... and the bar for what graphics are considered acceptable for these types of games keeps climbing. The best selling games may not have the best graphics, but they tend to either have graphics that sit in the upper-echelon, or are serviced based games. Many (such as Destiny) represent both at the same time.

Unimpressive graphics, or a clear lack of budget often hampers a game's ability to draw hype and awareness right out of the gate. There are countless examples of games that saw interest plummet when revealed to not be graphically up to expectations (Recore, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, Crackdown 3... hell even Gran Turismo Sport upon reveal). Even when talking about games on Nintendo's weaker hardware, it's typically the games that are amongst the most visually impressive that gather the most attention (which just happens to usually be Nintendo's own offerings).

I'm assuming you're not referring to Mario Odyssey here, because that has practically no chance of being the highest selling game this year, based on previous 3D Mario performances. PUBG likely has that in the bag at this point (service-based game), along with stuff like Destiny 2 (service-based and graphically impressive).

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
It's not really a case of having the best graphics, but rather not having what would be considered to be bad graphics... and the bar for what graphics are considered acceptable for these types of games keeps climbing. The best selling games may not have the best graphics, but they tend to either have graphics that sit in the upper-echelon, or are serviced based games. Many (such as Destiny) represent both at the same time.

Unimpressive graphics, or a clear lack of budget often hampers a game's ability to draw hype and awareness right out of the gate. There are countless examples of games that saw interest plummet when revealed to not be graphically up to expectations (Recore, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, Crackdown 3... hell even Gran Turismo Sport upon reveal). Even when talking about games on Nintendo's weaker hardware, it's typically the games that are amongst the most visually impressive that gather the most attention (which just happens to usually be Nintendo's own offerings).

right but the way theyve continually described and contextualized it is about the best. there's a difference bad graphics are different from ones that are par for the course. unimpressive graphics are def an issue but as for your examples: Recore wasnt a AAA game, MvC had issues with specific character faces, not general graphics, Crackdown 3 is a stylized game, not to mention one that was basically a tech demo, and GT Sport was being judged on unfinal code.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I mean not the best of the best but COD, Battlefront, GTA and Destiny are all very good looking games.

all games from the biggest publishers in the business and are running on name not graphics. CoD sells on name, BF sells on Star Wars name (But granted it is one of the better looking games of the gen), GTA is a remaster, and Destiny graphics are not top of the line. (not at all saying theyre bad)

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I am a single player and coop player first and foremost, so I hope to see a lot single player experiences in the future! I am not so happy about the fact that for instance they added MP on Mass Effect. I understand the business reasons but that time would have done wonders on the last game!

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
right but the way theyve continually described and contextualized it is about the best. there's a difference bad graphics are different from ones that are par for the course. unimpressive graphics are def an issue but as for your examples: Recore wasnt a AAA game, MvC had issues with specific character faces, not general graphics, Crackdown 3 is a stylized game, not to mention one that was basically a tech demo, and GT Sport was being judged on unfinal code.

Many of the top selling games could honestly be argued as having "the best" graphics subjectively though, being amongst the best is par for the course, and being notably below that is a cause for mockery. By "bad" graphics, I mostly just meant games that basically nobody would throw into a graphics war willingly. That definitely would apply to something like Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, and not just the faces. I won't link to the GAF thread, but it was being compared with Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, lol. And most games are judged on non-final code. Final code may change people's perceptions, either for the better (in GTS' case) or for the worse (Ubisoft in general). But the fact remains that everyone goes nuts when something like Horizon Zero Dawn, Quantum Break, Spiderman or God of War are shown, even with unfinished code... whereas Gran Turismo Sport received a much more negative welcome, almost entirely as a result of how it looked, before other aspects of the game were even considered. This applies even to games that don't necessarily look "bad", but don't match up to the high graphical expectations for a AAA title, like Halo 5.

Recore not being a AAA game is basically entirely the point. It didn't look like a AAA game. We didn't even need the actual details of its budget. And being stylised is fine in general, often even applauded. It's when being stylised draws comparison with graphics with a previous generation (without being intentionally retro), it becomes an issue.