• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
You know. At first when I heard this was $60... I was upset. How could they charge that much... But honestly. It's so fucking worth it. Going and clearing out Bleak Falls Barrow in VR is just another experience. Walking around in Skyrim is just something else.

Yesterday I found myself fumbling a bit with the controls and I do still in some regards but I'm getting better and it's great. Once they fix the unsheathing glitch with shields and add smooth turning it's only going to get better.

Goddamn. It's so fucking good. It's the VR experience I've dream of since I got the device. Sure it's not as pixel clear as I wish it was but the feeling of being in Skyrim just trumps all of that.

Edit: I also didn't realize you get a scene between Delphine and Farengar if you wait to go to Bleak Falls until after he tells you to. Normally I go from Bleak to Whiterun and miss that scene.

Last edited:

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
Wanted to let you guys know: The classic bug of sneaking up to enemies in coffins and killing them while they are inside IS BACK!

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
OK this is a first. Last night I was stealthily making my way through clearing out bandits, nothing I haven't done before in this game and others like it. Took out a female bandit for 2x damage with my bow, but when I walked past and looked down at her, I got a momentary but very powerful rush of guilt and for a split second my mind rushed through waves of emotions and questions; could I have sneaked past/could I have reasoned with her/why did she choose this life/I'm here stealing their stuff I'm no better than them etc. etc.

So holy fucking shit VR, WTF?! Think I might have to do what that guy said the other day and just role play this, settle down in a quiet village, become a wood cutter and life the peaceful life haha

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
I mean besides 4players there is no multiplatform site with an Skyrim VR review at launch and that makes me angry.

Well, I can say for sure that review codes for Skyrim VR went out _very_ late unless they only did that in Germany. Here the download codes came on on Thursday around noon (Switch version arrived on Monday). So you can also imagine how long (short) somebody would have played the game in VR if their review is already up.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
PS. Old news for many I'm sure but it took me an hour of bow & arrow shooting before getting this:
Hold the PS Move controls in parallel to each other, both pointing to your roof.
At first I always held my arrow PS Move like I would hold it against a bow (90 degrees tilted when compared to the Bow PS Move) but behavior was sometimes odd.
With both in parallel facing the roof, a bit higher than my right shoulder, I'm shooting like Legolas cleaning out rooms in no time.

Your right hand isn't literally the arrow, it's your draw hand, so it should be parallel to your bow hand :)

Is there a tilt brush equivalent for the PSVR yet, or are we all hoping for dreams to be that?

This whole £249 bundle has me itching, but I have a HDR TV so cable swapping could be annoying, and if I also want moves, it starts to get into Oculus Rift price territory (and I have a good gaming PC)

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Okay you've all convinced me, it sounds like an awesome experience.
All the positive impressions in this thread made me buy it today. Waiting for my Moves to charge and going right in.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your right hand isn't literally the arrow, it's your draw hand, so it should be parallel to your bow hand :)

Is there a tilt brush equivalent for the PSVR yet, or are we all hoping for dreams to be that?

This whole £249 bundle has me itching, but I have a HDR TV so cable swapping could be annoying, and if I also want moves, it starts to get into Oculus Rift price territory (and I have a good gaming PC)

There is a painting game coming out but I forgot what it is called. The Harmonix Music VR game has a mode that lets you sort of paint with various brushes that pulse to music. It's what I usually show people first so that they "get" VR.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I can say for sure that review codes for Skyrim VR went out _very_ late unless they only did that in Germany. Here the download codes came on on Thursday around noon (Switch version arrived on Monday). So you can also imagine how long (short) somebody would have played the game in VR if their review is already up.
I'm hopeful then. You made the 4Gamers review?

Oct 29, 2017
This so such a phenomenal experience, not even the blurred visuals and low end textures lower the experience (on pro)

I can't wait for the PS5 now though..

ShadowRunner

Oct 29, 2017
I noticed you can still use the left dual shock stick for movement when using moves so i might play around with that later. Are 2 handed weapons mapped to the right move only and how are blocks performed?

Oct 26, 2017
This so such a phenomenal experience, not even the blurred visuals and low end textures lower the experience (on pro)

I can't wait for the PS5

VR makes me feel the entire "oh this is kind of rough but just imagine what they'll be able to do in the future" feel that I had with earlier consoles. If PS4 can run a PS3 game in VR, PS5 should be able to run something like Horizon.

Oct 29, 2017

The latest build of the PSVR has been done for HDR tvs though, I recall seeing about it on reddit.

You'd just have to make sure your not getting old stock.

VR makes me feel the entire "oh this is kind of rough but just imagine what they'll be able to do in the future" feel that I had with earlier consoles. If PS4 can run a PS3 game in VR, PS5 should be able to run something like Horizon.

Could you imagine that..

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Played two hours now and I seriously have to fix my drifting issues and tracking issues, but the game is god damn amazing in VR. This is what I always wanted to play. Now give me old school World of Warcraft in VR and I will serioulsy lose my life. Anyone on the fence...buy PSVR for Skyrim.

Oct 29, 2017
Played two hours now and I seriously have to fix my drifting issues and tracking issues, but the game is god damn amazing in VR. This is what I always wanted to play. Now give me old school World of Warcraft in VR and I will serioulsy lose my life. Anyone on the fence...buy PSVR for Skyrim.

I had really bad drift, what I do now is when I boot the vr/moves up I leave them static on the coffee table while I make a drink.
I find it not moving for about a minute on boot up fixes a majority of issues.

Also if I turn the lights on in my loving room they are too bright and cause issue's, if I leave them off its to dark and cause issues.

To fix that I turn the light on in my kitchen which gives a nice subtle bit of light in the living room as long as the door is left open and is perfect.

Make sure there is 0 residue on the camera, I had a greasy finger print on mine the once and it caused slight issues (I have a toddler..)

The only thing that pisses me off, due to the lay out of my room the camera is either a tad bit to high (so if lower my hands to much the moves flip out) or its to low (if I raise them above my head they flip out) makes bow work a bit to awkward :(

And as boring as it is, every now and again do a reset of its settings.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
OK this is a first. Last night I was stealthily making my way through clearing out bandits, nothing I haven't done before in this game and others like it. Took out a female bandit for 2x damage with my bow, but when I walked past and looked down at her, I got a momentary but very powerful rush of guilt and for a split second my mind rushed through waves of emotions and questions; could I have sneaked past/could I have reasoned with her/why did she choose this life/I'm here stealing their stuff I'm no better than them etc. etc.

So holy fucking shit VR, WTF?! Think I might have to do what that guy said the other day and just role play this, settle down in a quiet village, become a wood cutter and life the peaceful life haha

Can you imagine something like the Long Dark VR or just one of those farming/hunting sims.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had really bad drift, what I do now is when I boot the vr/moves up I leave them static on the coffee table while I make a drink.
I find it not moving for about a minute on boot up fixes a majority of issues.

Also if I turn the lights on in my loving room they are too bright and cause issue's, if I leave them off its to dark and cause issues.

To fix that I turn the light on in my kitchen which gives a nice subtle bit of light in the living room as long as the door is left open and is perfect.

Make sure there is 0 residue on the camera, I had a greasy finger print on mine the once and it caused slight issues (I have a toddler..)

The only thing that pisses me off, due to the lay out of my room the camera is either a tad bit to high (so if lower my hands to much the moves flip out) or its to low (if I raise them above my head they flip out) makes bow work a bit to awkward :(

And as boring as it is, every now and again do a reset of its settings.

Thank you for the tips. The strange thing is that I didn't change anything at all, but since the last headset update I get drifting everytime I start anything up. Also my picture in cinema mode is not straight. I repositioned the camera, cleaned the lenses, recalibrated the headset (well I held it up and shook a bit hmm) and the camera (which at my first position found my face, but couldn't calibrate, second time it worked), but it didn't change anything. As soon as I play it takes about 2 minutes and I have my UI on the left side which is annoying cause that is also your running position. Turning headset on and off fixes it for two minutes again.

Guess with the update something big changed and I really have to infront of the camera which I will try later and also reposition, reboot everything etc. and will see how this works out. Currently I am sitting away about 3,5m away which is a too far, but worked fine before. :(

GasPanic!

Oct 28, 2017
I just love riding horses in this game. It is so relaxing while enjoying the landscape. I found it pretty boring in the original.
Also combat from the horse works pretty good with the moves, although I already hit my coffee table several times while punching down some wolves.

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
Skeevers are way bigger than I thought they were. And these big fucks keep giving me jump scares.

Oct 29, 2017
Thank you for the tips. The strange thing is that I didn't change anything at all, but since the last headset update I get drifting everytime I start anything up. Also my picture in cinema mode is not straight. I repositioned the camera, cleaned the lenses, recalibrated the headset (well I held it up and shook a bit hmm) and the camera (which at my first position found my face, but couldn't calibrate, second time it worked), but it didn't change anything. As soon as I play it takes about 2 minutes and I have my UI on the left side which is annoying cause that is also your running position. Turning headset on and off fixes it for two minutes again.

Guess with the update something big changed and I really have to infront of the camera which I will try later and also reposition, reboot everything etc. and will see how this works out. Currently I am sitting away about 3,5m away which is a too far, but worked fine before. :(
That is odd.

I sit/stand about 2m to 4m away and it works fine (you have to stand back for games like holoball)
Edit: I'm not saying because it works for me it's fine for everyone BTW, I hate people that reply with that shit

Have you got access to a second camera? Incase it's that playing up?

I honestly can't wait for next gen and next gen vr.

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, PSVR2 for PS5 should have 4K res, improving picture sharpness greatly.

Anyone know how to PARRY with a sword? Tried a few times, but it didn't work. What does?

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That is odd.

I sit/stand about 2m to 4m away and it works fine (you have to stand back for games like holoball)
Edit: I'm not saying because it works for me it's fine for everyone BTW, I hate people that reply with that shit

Have you got access to a second camera? Incase it's that playing up?

I honestly can't wait for next gen and next gen vr.

It's okay I did that before too when I told people everything works fine for me. I remember I had to reposition everything for SuperHOT VR and since then I have this problem. I will disconnect and start everything up again later and will update if everything helped. No second camera currently and I really don't wanna buy a new one lol

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't tried the Dualshock, but I'd say Move. One part of the experience is the looking around, but another part is physically using weapons.

Dualshock is probably more effective, as in, less mistakes being made, but it kind of misses the point for me.
Agreed, even when I get lazy I'm reluctant to move to DS4 (which is perfectly fine). Who would have thought that Skyrim VR combat would be great?

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there really no way to walk backwards using moves?

As Kalentan said "Just simply face the move controller backwards and you shall go backwards." but you only need to tilt it slightly. No need for the big moves I have seen some streamers do. Just tilt from the wrist and you can be extremely precise, on par with the DS4 once you become accustomed to it.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I need to lobby my company to put Skyrim VR into our sites, would be ace in free-roam movement. How's the framerate feeling?

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
I was afraid that I'd got sucked into the hype and duped myself into paying $60 for Skyrim in 2017, but this really is the goods. It's a magnificent world to get lost in. id be happy to just wander through the woods and climb mountains but I'm determined to ride a dragon asap and there's a good bit of game to get through first.

StealthieOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dfw
I haven't tried the Dualshock, but I'd say Move. One part of the experience is the looking around, but another part is physically using weapons.

Dualshock is probably more effective, as in, less mistakes being made, but it kind of misses the point for me.
Ok thanks... I have the non vr version.. I'm thinking of trading it in for vr version.. Do you think I'd miss the regular version?

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Solid. I have only had one performance hitch happen so far and I'm around 9 hours in. It was at ruins near one of the companions missions.

Framerate is, as necessary for VR, buttery smooth 60/120 fps

Excellent, that's great to hear for the experience to be so solid. I expected it would just with the age of Skyrim but of course in saying that it is Skyrim so anything was possible. Now if we could mod it...

Oct 27, 2017
Switch version graphics are also not so good like the special edition and it costs full price.
But it got 49 metacritic reviews.

I mean besides 4players there is no multiplatform site with an Skyrim VR review at launch and that makes me angry.

It's not the only reason, but Switch is selling at a rate that has seen it become firmly entrenched in the mainstream whereas PSVR is still serving a niche audience. For that alone, the former would see more reviews.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn you all.

I got caught up with your hype.

I just bought Skyrim VR and a PS VR. Hope Erahype doesn't disappoint.

I seldom have been disappointed by old site hype though

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the only reason, but Switch is selling at a rate that has seen it become firmly entrenched in the mainstream whereas PSVR is still serving a niche audience. For that alone, the former would see more reviews.

Also asking writers to smash out a review for a game the scale of Skyrim in a few hours would be odd especially when their staff is likely to be unaccustomed to VR. Even worse if the person asked to review the game does suffer from simulation sickness and not given the time to adapt so they can review it properly. It's easy to see why the VR focused media managed to get reviews out early as they will be able to handle very long sessions in VR with no problem and their review methodology will be focused around using the headsets. Even then many of them read like initial impressions rather than reviews.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
There is no way in hell I'm buying Skyrim, a 6 year old game, for the 4th fucking time for $60. Nope. Not in a million years.

*reads thread*

I'm a dirty goddamn liar. DLing now.

Geemc

Oct 31, 2017
Hey all.
This threads making me hungry for vr but I have skyrim se modded to buggery on pc. can't give that up
How much of an upgrade would I require

Not at home at the moment
My setups
quad core processor something a73450 black?
8gb ram
2gb card nvidea gtx 660

Not looking for ultra high settings
Reckon it'll be patched in or a doc?

Thanks for all the posts of u enjoying the game....

cjp

Oct 29, 2017
Are you guys playing this sitting or standing?

I have my TV and PS4 set up at the end of my bed so I'm not sure VR would work for me.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hopeful then. You made the 4Gamers review?

Me? Nah.

That said, I do think reviews of Skyrim VR can be done reasonably fast if somebody is familiar with the game and VR in general, as the most important new things to focus on are the graphics and the control method and that shouldn't take that much time.