• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
CKOHLER

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
I was just about to ask how everyone is feeling while playing. I tend to get sick fairly quickly. RE7 allowed me to play in VR for about an hour at a time, which is a lifetime compared to other VR games I've tried. I really want to try this, but plopping down $60 for something that I might never touch again doesn't sound like a good idea. I did this with Farpoint. Played it 3 times, and couldn't go back, due to how sick it made me. I would love to have a demo, Bethesda. Hook me up.
Everyone is different but I've had NO motion sickness issues with Skyrim VR and I had a little with RE7 (which I finished). I've had PSVR since launch and have good "VR legs" now.

Skyrim has more comfort settings than most games. Be sure to try them if you have trouble.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I was just about to ask how everyone is feeling while playing. I tend to get sick fairly quickly. RE7 allowed me to play in VR for about an hour at a time, which is a lifetime compared to other VR games I've tried. I really want to try this, but plopping down $60 for something that I might never touch again doesn't sound like a good idea. I did this with Farpoint. Played it 3 times, and couldn't go back, due to how sick it made me. I would love to have a demo, Bethesda. Hook me up.

I am the same as that, With R7,Farpoint, Arizona sunshine i could do about an hour and was done kinda thing as could feel the sweat and that coming on. But with Skyrim using the moves i have been playing for 2-3 hours a time and probably 10 hours already and i feel fine, I'm using full motion too using the left move to get about and snap with the right move.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
So is this the real deal? How bad is motion sickness for people?

I'm interested in trying but then I hear they are going to make VR versions for the PC with the Rift and Vive so I feel like I want to wait for that...

No motion sickness for me. I turned on free movement, where if you push the middle button on the left move control, you move in the direction you are facing. Pushing X on the right move control turns you slightly left, pushing O turns you slightly right.

It sounds awkward but you can adjust how fast you turn And you get used to it and it feels natural.

I'm super cheap and almost never buy games new. And I scoffed at paying 60$ for an old game that I've already played hundreds of hours on several systems but man am I glad I bought this. It's fucking fun. Using magic with both hands is soooo cool cause you can aim in two different directions.

I'm glad i followed this thread and decided to buy it. So worth it.

Deleted member 10314

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got to the part where you select your race, then the screen went black except for the menus. I just couldn't see any of the options where you can see the actual character, just the description. Is this a know bug?
I've deleted the save and I'll start again and see if happens again.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Far less motion sickness than with Farpoint for me using Move controllers. Farpoint I'd play a level and then have to put it down and feel weird for hours but I've not felt nearly as bad with Skyrim.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
With DS4 controls, IIRC, it's the secondary attack. E.g. if R2 is primary, then L2 is block. I'd have to double check, but I did see it working when I was messing around.
Okay, I went back and double checked, using the DS4 settings and R2 as primary for a two-handed weapon like the great sword, the secondary L2 acts as the block. You can still take damage. I would think when using Moves, the equivalent button would allow blocking, too. Whilst blocking with L2, you can parry with R2.

Regarding nausea (DS4 settings with all comfort settings off and smooth turning), the only time I felt close was jumping around like a mad Mario, whilst circle-straffing and spinning my head around. Suffice to say, I didn't keep that going too long.

Lamonster

Nov 1, 2017
St. Louis
What kind of builds do you guys recommend?

i.e. what kind of combat is the most fun in VR between bows, melee, magic, etc.

edit: I'll probably be using the DS4.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Is this vr's killer app? Or are we still waiting?
That app can depend on the individual. RE7 happened nearly a year ago. One could say RE1 was this for PS1/ PSX.

What kind of builds do you guys recommend?

i.e. what kind of combat is the most fun in VR between bows, melee, magic, etc.

edit: I'll probably be using the DS4.
Go with whatever feels like fun. There are no hard and fast rules for RPGs.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say Resident Evil 7 is that killer game that must be played, But Skyrim is a close runner for it too in my opinion, As playing RE7 on the TV after playing it in VR feels like a major stepback and generation behind kinda thing, With Skyrim it's the same, It's a giant leap and i could never go back to playing it on the TV again. Immersion is everything in VR and Skyrim has me totally hooked.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I cant' imagine running and strafing for the combat in this. How do you even fight a dragon?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Personally, I think RE 7, Superhot VR, and Farpoint already qualify as VR's "killer apps".

I'm guessing you weren't asking a question as much as you were simply stating your opinion that VR has no killer apps.

UNRELATED:

So, Skyrim VR's use of the left move controller as a "big joystick": hold down the move button and strafe forward, back, left, right has got me thinking ... was this the way the move controller was intended to be used all along? Is that why it doesn't have a thumb stick, and why the move button is right where you think the thumb stick would be?

thinking_face.gif

Last edited:

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd say Resident Evil 7 is that killer game that must be played, But Skyrim is a close runner for it too in my opinion, As playing RE7 on the TV after playing it in VR feels like a major stepback and generation behind kinda thing, With Skyrim it's the same, It's a giant leap and i could never go back to playing it on the TV again. Immersion is everything in VR and Skyrim has me totally hooked.
Oh wow. Bold statement. I'm still waiting for vr units to come down in price a bit more before I dive in. I can justify $100 or $200 on a fad but not multiples of that.

Oct 27, 2017
After figuring out the controls I really dig it. My biggest complaint are the jaggies though, hard to feel immersed when everything is a blurry mess. I'm on an OG PS4, not sure how much better the pro is.

I want Oblivion next

Wolfgav

Oct 27, 2017
Glass City.
No motion sickness for me. I turned on free movement, where if you push the middle button on the left move control, you move in the direction you are facing. Pushing X on the right move control turns you slightly left, pushing O turns you slightly right.

It sounds awkward but you can adjust how fast you turn And you get used to it and it feels natural.

I had that option picked but thought I still had to steer with the move controller! Knowing this info, I will give the motion controllers another shot.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
...I didn't want to be learning the controls until I got past it. I'll try Move-ing later. Or maybe tomorrow, since I feel like total shit now.

I had snap turning on but I was strafing a lot.
Strafing takes strong VR legs. Build yours up slowly, using the comfort options and comfortable directions/speeds. Before you know it you'll be zipping around like everyone else.
Oh wow. Bold statement. I'm still waiting for vr units to come down in price a bit more before I dive in. I can justify $100 or $200 on a fad but not multiples of that.
Please don't bring the VR cynic stuff in here, it's been a nice thread about a great game so far don't ruin it.

If you're interested tho, yes, this a killer app. If you get a chance go try it...

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017

It's shield bashing with you're left hand, Then striking with you're sword for the killer blow, It's seeing the dragon shout go out in front of your eyes pushing back those undead with ease, Peeking round a corner as you arrow a bandits head then go collect the arrow back( hopefully). These moments iv'e already had feel like real life moments that i think of randomly when it comes in my head.

I'm sure most people here can attest to similar moments with the moves already.

From the mess this was earlier in the year, It's really impressive what it has become. Visuals are fine for the fact you are in Skyrim, And everything is at you're disposal like the open world RPG we wanted for VR.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
UNRELATED:

So, Skyrim VR's use of the left move controller as a "big joystick": hold down the move button and strafe forward, back, left, right has got me thinking ... was this the way the move controller was intended to be used all along? Is that why it doesn't have a thumb stick, and why the move button is right where you think the thumb stick would be?

thinking_face.gif
There was an earlier post from a developer (not sure), saying that when Sony focus-tested analogue sticks on the Moves, players had issues separating motion controlled by the Moves and motion controlled by the analogue sticks. Which I also recall from interviews around the launch of Move. I personally think this was short-sighted because developers aren't forced to use analogue sticks, much like the DS4, and it was an excuse to be cheapskates.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's shield bashing with you're left hand, Then striking with you're sword for the killer blow, It's seeing the dragon shout go out in front of your eyes pushing back those undead with ease, Peeking round a corner as you arrow a bandits head then go collect the arrow back( hopefully). These moments iv'e already had feel like real life moments that i think of randomly when it comes in my head.

I'm sure most people here can attest to similar moments with the moves already.

From the mess this was earlier in the year, It's really impressive what it has become. Visuals are fine for the fact you are in Skyrim, And everything is at you're disposal like the open world RPG we wanted for VR.
That DOES sound pretty cool. Lol

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
So after playing for two hours I can safely say that a mmorpg Be game like this would destroy lives. I spent the first 30 mins after the intro just strolling around that beginning my village

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
The level of graphically fidelity that each individual finds acceptable is a personal thing. IMO, the graphics are fine. I'm just looking at them imagining where/how this will all improve over the next few years.

After a short while my mind starts to fill in the details and before I know it I'm absorbed and everything looks as it should. Amazing...

So after playing for two hours I can safely say that a mmorpg Be game like this would destroy lives.
Those were my thoughts too. You just know it's going to happen. ESOVR? Keep that away from me.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Here's my gameplay from the beginning. Skyrim VR is one of the best freakin' things I've played.

https://youtu.be/HE2S7LuluxY?t=19m51s
Oof, that share button recording shows the lower res rendering on the edges lol.

Will try to record some gameplay from the social screen later, if anyone is interested. That way you get a more "corrected" image rather than the fisheye one.

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Definitely a defining moment, like RE7 was at the beginning. This though, is just so immersive, RE7 is definitely a killer app already, in a different way though. Skyrim is mega chill, in VR its just a relaxing experience on top of being awesome. Taking everything in is a game in itself.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh got a second speck of dust behind the left lens and that's just too much to deal with so I'll have to get it replaced.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
How does VR work? Does it display what you see on a screen? Want to see if t would be fun to do as a group.

If you want to do a group VR thing, download Playroom VR and Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. Both are great fun.

A friend of mine was sold on VR just from Keep Talking because it's a fantastic party game.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Possibly it is the first game to have the potential of reaching a wider audience. As somebody who owned PSVR since launch I'd put it in the category of must-own games alongside RE7, Superhot VR, and Statik (Plus Dirt Rally VR if you like racing games). Going from the demo of Moss and the press reception from Blood and Truth they have the potential to be the next big games on the headset, as does LA Noire Case Files for VR but that isn't on PSVR.

Last edited:

Deleted member 433

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spent the whole day playing this today.

Whilst I wouldn't call it a killer app, it's definitely a turning point and offers a tantalizing glimpse of what the future of VR could be if enough folks get behind it. There are moments, for example riding my horse towards an enemy whilst swinging my axe, that I just completely lose myself in. Despite the technical limitations, and despite this being built on the framework of a 6 year old last-gen title, I'm in Skyrim being a bad-ass, and my lounge feels like it's a million miles away. I took of the helmet, eyes red, and felt like I'd just come back from a short vacation.

But, despite this being a bit special; it's important to also set the bar quite low in terms of what to expect from it as a game. The graphics are, well, bad.

That's not to say it doesn't have it's moments. But essentially you're inside of a Playstation 3 title, not only in terms of polygons and texture quality, but also things like pop-up. The first time I saw the tree's just pop-in 50 meters away, it was like being reminded of a long-lost age of video games. In the caves and caverns it's not an issue at all, but in the open world you are reminded at every literal turn that this isn't a current gen title. Also the character models, some are passable, but the majority were always hideous and coming face to face with them only amplifies this further. It feels, to me, like I'm in some sort of westworld, interacting with audio-animatronics rather than living breathing people. Just the thought that maybe the next generation of VR could offer the current generation of fidelity is so fucking exciting, as a medium this thing is going to go from being 'passable' to 'mind blowing' so quickly if given the chance.

Having said this, some sections of the game hold up pretty well. The caverns and caves look pretty incredible; it's clear they somehow crank up the settings in the enclosed environments as everything is far more detailed with little or no pop-in. and there are also times in the game, where despite all it's flaws, it somehow comes together and looks breathtaking. Climbing a snowy mountain, watching the sun set as the music gently shift, then seeing the stars come out.

The tracking is also amazing, my biggest gripe with PSVR is often not knowing if it's going to have 'a bad day' - when it pulses and drifts with a mind of it's own, despite all the hours I've spent trying to get my setup just right. No idea what Skyrim is doing, maybe using a new SDK or something. But it's the only PSVR game I can play for more than a few hours that doesn't drift. I've racked up 20 hours, even played in shitty lighting conditions that would make YouTube VR into a pulsating mess. And it's fucking flawless, no idea how/why but it's a very positive sign for PSVR that they've somehow cracked it without a hardware update.

The game plays really well with a pad, but if you have move controllers they improve the experience in almost every way. I did love how with the dualshock, you can aim just by looking at something, but felt this made range weapons simply too good. As an archer, using the dualshock turned me from being a bumbling amateur into Hawkeye on steroids with constant headshots before they could even get close to me.

The motion controls in combat work far better than they have any right to, I started just waggling the weapon and doing damage which is where I thought the learning curve would end. it's one-to-one motion mapping, rather than just being a gestured trigger. but gradually I figured out how to parry, and when to do light blows and when to strike them with more powerful ones. My only gripe is after mastering the sword, I picked up a wand and then wished I'd rolled a wizard character. Wands are fucking amazing in this version of the game.

I made the mistake of imagining how much cooler the game would be if it had co-op play. this game has made me even more excited for what the future holds for VR. Sword Art Online style worlds in the next 10 years seems like a safe bet if things carry on at this pace.

TLDR; Buy it you fools

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Yeah, this statement is all sorts of wrong. We've not been waiting all year. There have been multiple examples of games that are basically killer apps for those who like those kinds of games. Sure, not all of them are massively long like Skyrim, but we have SuperHot, SOLUS Project, Dirt Rally, Farpoint, etc. that are AMAZING experiences especially when played in the appropriate conditions (steering wheel or the AIM controller, for instance).

Skyrim is definitely open to a wider potential audience, but there will definitely be some amazing for-VR-specifically titles that will supersede it in terms of what you personally experience. Moss, for example, floored me with it's demo. Loved it so much.

CloakedPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished riding my new mount for the first time and the control is very natural and you genuinely get the feeling like you're high up on the horse. Makes riding across an open plain feel just fantastic.

This game!

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just wanted to pop in and give kudos to the OP title. Got a sensible chuckle out of it.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
The other thing I love about this is that the thing that I thought was weakest in Skyrim was the combat. Suddenly that is the part that I'm enjoying the most. The bow and arrow and sword with shield are fantastic.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I wish you could turn the camera by holding the right move button down rather than pressing x and square to do the gradual turns/snaps. Other than that I'm loving it so far.

Oh also, blocking with the shield - when its transparent its by your side right? but when it's a solid object in front of you, you're blocking with it? I also figured out you can hold left trigger on the move and swing the shield forward for a shield bash/stagger feels great in VR.

I also picked up a two handed warhammer but there doesn't seem to be a way to do the block with that, it just messes people up in a hit or two though.

Deleted member 433

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish you could turn the camera by holding the right move button down rather than pressing x and square to do the gradual turns/snaps. Other than that I'm loving it so far.

They've confirmed this is coming in the next patch, alongside the shield bug where you keep drawing weapons when looking left.

Deleted member 5727

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious to see how this game and the bundle its attached to sell. With the price its at this could be the thing to really push people into trying out VR for themselves. I know a few friends who will be grabbing the bundle.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this game has made me even more excited for what the future holds for VR.

Yup massively get that feeling when playing it. I was trying to decide what to do next as the sun was setting on the bridge outside Morthal, I looked over to my right and saw the sun behind the fort and then looked to my left where you can see the dragon circling the peak of a mountain and you can make out the ruins to the left of that and I thought holy crap this looks amazing and that is with these graphics, how amazing would this look if it was created with PSVR in mind with a good art style nevermind a generation away. I've fast traveled four times in the 12 hours I have played the game as it is so good just seeing the different variations in surroundings, (seriously had no intention of playing the game that long already).

Oct 26, 2017
It's sad to see how some people are basically playing the game wrong by using teleportation and then getting a bad impression.

After the rough start today, I pressed on and pretty soon got used to it. FOV while turning is still borked, but I could deal with it. I had a few really cool encounters where I came across all kinds of keeps filled with bandits or Forsworn. It really, REALLY makes for a different feeling when you can look around much more easily and keep track of your opponents. While I'm careful with the movements when just walking around, in battle I do a lot more strafing since I'm focused on the enemy. I had this great streak where I was slashing bandits left and right, then rushed up to the final one and did a lunging strike. Since the weapon is also a pointer for looting, I get to do this thing where I cut someone down, then look around while keeping the sword down pointed at them, and then do the looting.

I gotta get some video at some point.

Also, I
happened to get into a deal with a daedra. I hope I get to double-cross him at some point because I ain't serving no demon.