• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Any options for getting a Bluetooth controller to work with the SNES classic short of buying the 8Bitdo adapter on Amazon?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Still I wish that the RetroArch crew would figure out or reverse engineer what sort of wizardry Nintendo is using to get input lag to be so incredibly low. Clearly it's technically *possible*. They just don't know how. My uneducated guess is that RetroArch and/or the emulators within rely on external rendering libraries or APIs on which they have little control and that add layers of execution which translates into input lag, whereas Nintendo is custom-coding everything directly to the metal.

That's exactly it. Someone could program a standalone emulator if they wanted, but no one cares enough about lag to do anything about it.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
After years of fiddling with emulators on all sorts of devices, I've finally gotten around to hacking the SNES classic.

This is definitely the best emulator around, and the best way to play SNES games outside of the SuperNT.

It gets 2 things right that are so hard to get right on any emulator or device: input lag, and no frame skipping. This is the only way I'm going to play SNES games going forward. It looks like just about any game I care about can be patched to work nearly perfectly.

The only thing missing is a fast forward option.
It's a beauty. It reminds me why I love the snes so much. Such a joy to play.
I am currently fiddling with a psx classic and it doesn't even come close in terms of stability and ease of use even after modding. I am enjoying it for what it is but snes classic remains the best mini console. We'll see with the genesis and turbografx 16 coming.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
It does annoy me that you basically get looked down on for preferring Canoe over on the subreddits.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
That's the difference between Nintendo purists, and "I need a machine with 8,000 games on I will never play to show my friends" purists

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Just a lot of hardcore Retroarch fans on the machine who insist there is no lag etc and trying to be pure Canoe is just a waste of time.

It really bugs me that no one seems to notice the lag or frame skips on Retroarch or any emulator really.

I did manage a good setup with Retroarch, but only on my GSync monitor with frame look ahead. Even then, the SNES test suite shows some judder or inconsistency that people swear doesn't exist. I tried all the SNES cores, all the video drivers, and a multitude of settings.

Canoe is a marvel, really. Nintendo managed to outdo all manor of emulators created in the past 20 years. It doesn't have 100% compatibility and some games have the occasional glitch (e.g. YI2 Touch Fuzzy), but 80% of games will work out of the box and 99% of what you'd want to play will work after some patching.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
That is the most reasonable view for someone new to the scene I've seen. I'm almost crying

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It really bugs me that no one seems to notice the lag or frame skips on Retroarch or any emulator really.

Personally I don't notice it.

My problem with retroarch (the newer one) is that it takes too long for the games to boot, 5 seconds to boot, 5 seconds to go back to the menu to make a save state and 5 seconds go to back to the game. Meanwhile, the native emu loading is instant.

The author has been trying to reduce the load times, it now takes 3 seconds to load a game with RA, but going back to the menu to save still takes 5 seconds each.

I'm pretty sure that if RA removed all that bloat about playlists, music, netplay, and a bunch of other stuff, the load time would reduced by a lot. The old retroarch (the one I still have in my SNES Classic from 2017), loads pretty fast. It's the newer one that is very slow.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Yeah, a less bloated Retroarch would be good. Poking MDFMKanic about that might be worth a shot. He is super responsive, a really nice guy, and might be able to knock together a slimline retroarch. Worth a shot.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Someone made a translation for Power Soukoban. It seems like a game that you can play without english anyway, but it doesn't hurt to make it more official. It's basically a simple block pushing puzzle game with enemies that can attack you.

He says there's some garbage tiles that occur in the original game on older emulators (?) but it seems to work fine on higan.

Untested on Canoe

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
This is from discussion from a few days ago, but I've been away re: Canoe. Even madmonkey, the creator of hakchi, hates Canoe. It just doesn't get a lot of respect from a lot of people in the community. It saddens me to see people in both the subreddit and in Discord just try to funnel everyone into Retroarch and actively sway people away from the default emulator.

The first time I hacked my system and put a few games on it that required Retroarch + SNES9x, I immediately noticed the difference. It doesn't bother me too much if I have to use Retroarch, but I'll use Canoe whenever possible. As soon as a Canoe patch for Dragon Quest III's translation became available, I made use of it! Maybe one day I'll play through it; I made it about 10 hours in before getting distracted. I even converted my save from RA to Canoe format and it seems to work fine, but at this point I'll probably need to start over.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Gideon Zhi released a translation for Super Robot Wars 3 - version 2.0

Untested

I applied this new patch to the game, as well as the "persistent music" optional patch included in the zip. I used preset ID 10EF/EF10 since it's used in the previous translation and various other SRW titles. The game loaded up fine. I played a few turns of the first battle and didn't notice any issues. I also tested out the save feature and it worked fine, as did using suspend points.

The only issue I observed was during the dialogue before the first battle. There's a single horizontal flickering line that appears just above the dialogue text boxes. It's not present in dialogue that occurs during the first battle, though. I loaded up the old translation and it occurred there as well. It did not happen when I tested the game in Retroarch/SNES9x on my PC, though. It didn't bother me too much.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Someone made a translation for Power Soukoban. It seems like a game that you can play without english anyway, but it doesn't hurt to make it more official. It's basically a simple block pushing puzzle game with enemies that can attack you.

He says there's some garbage tiles that occur in the original game on older emulators (?) but it seems to work fine on higan.

Untested on Canoe

I went ahead and tested this too. I'd never heard of the game before. Seems like fun! I played it for 45 minutes and solved several screens in the first dungeon. No preset ID used. Saves work fine, as do suspend points.

therourke

Jan 20, 2018
London
Y'all playing Mario Maker 2? Of course you are. Try out my first ever level....?

Bowser's Mega Big Fish-Fry

L1Y-5RG-1NG

Make me happy

Last edited:

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
A friend is selling me his spare tomorrow. Looking forward to adding more games in addition to playing the ones that come with it. Missed out on the SNES so this is gonna be good.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
A friend is selling me his spare tomorrow. Looking forward to adding more games in addition to playing the ones that come with it. Missed out on the SNES so this is gonna be good.

Enjoy. There are so many amazing SNES games, and even more if you delve into fan translations for games that never got US releases.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
After many months, many of the games I put on just stopped working. What gives?
How do I fix them?

Are you getting an error? Or just getting booted back to the menu?

What system? Are these games running on the native emulator, or Retroarch?

Have you made any changes to the system recently, or it just started happening?

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Are you getting an error? Or just getting booted back to the menu?

What system? Are these games running on the native emulator, or Retroarch?

Have you made any changes to the system recently, or it just started happening?
The ones that crashed go to a black screen or return to the menu. All of them iirc are on RetroArch. They started happening about a month ago but was happening consistently since around January.

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
The ones that crashed go to a black screen or return to the menu. All of them iirc are on RetroArch. They started happening about a month ago but was happening consistently since around January.

I'd make sure Retroarch is still installed, along with whatever cores the games are running in. What version of hakchi did you use, and do you still have it?

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Got Doom loaded on and played for a bit

K6eyyJH.png

Dingotech

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all.

It's been a while since I mucked around with my SNES classic using one of the original Hack software releases.

I was playing a few games with a mate last night and had multiple games with issues - NBA Jam (no music), Micro Machines 2 (music buzz), and Rock N Roll Racing (major errors).

Have there been any improvements in the hacking performance for these games? I've tried reading back a few pages but wasn't getting a clear answer.

Do you need to use a different emulator versus the base Nintendo one for improved compatibility?

Thanks!

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I am using retroarch for other consoles on snes mini and transferring to a usb. However everytime I am uploading new games, it is reuploading all the previous games again. What am I doing wrong? It's taking a awful long time especially because of cd games. Is there a faster way of doing this?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You have to upload all of your games again when you add games. There's no way to add new games without re-uploading everything else. At least not last I checked

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I though one feature of CE was that it uploaded only new stuff. Would have to check though, not a CE user.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I am using retroarch for other consoles on snes mini and transferring to a usb. However everytime I am uploading new games, it is reuploading all the previous games again. What am I doing wrong? It's taking a awful long time especially because of cd games. Is there a faster way of doing this?

Make sure you have Linked Export checked when you hit the Export Games button. I believe that's what triggers it to only transfer new games.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Make sure you have Linked Export checked when you hit the Export Games button. I believe that's what triggers it to only transfer new games.
Also, I believe this only works if you're running Hakchi off the USB drive you're using with the system. At least, that's what I had to do to get it to only copy new games.
I unchecked it and checked it again and now it works. Thanks
Now it is only transferring the new games. Probably a bug

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
I unchecked it and checked it again and now it works. Thanks
Now it is only transferring the new games. Probably a bug

Linked Export is very useful if you're dealing with a large library of games on a USB drive, but you want to make sure that:

1. You're using the portable version of hakchi CE, not the one that uses the installer. If you have a games folder within the hakchi folder on your PC rather than in your PC's documents folder, you should be good.
2. You put the hakchi program on the USB drive, but do not put it in the folder just called "hakchi". That folder is created by hakchi when you do the export. It can cause some weird conflicts. What I usually tell people to do is to create a separate folder called "hakchi2CE" (no spaces! those also mess things up) and put the portable version of hakchi CE in there.

When you do that, Linked Export should actually work and only take 10-20 seconds. I've got just under 70 GB of games and the process doesn't take any longer than that any time I add a game.

(What Linked Export does is sets up the file structure for your SNES, but the folders actually just contain links back to your hakchi2CE's games folder)

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Linked Export is very useful if you're dealing with a large library of games on a USB drive, but you want to make sure that:

1. You're using the portable version of hakchi CE, not the one that uses the installer. If you have a games folder within the hakchi folder on your PC rather than in your PC's documents folder, you should be good.
2. You put the hakchi program on the USB drive, but do not put it in the folder just called "hakchi". That folder is created by hakchi when you do the export. It can cause some weird conflicts. What I usually tell people to do is to create a separate folder called "hakchi2CE" (no spaces! those also mess things up) and put the portable version of hakchi CE in there.

When you do that, Linked Export should actually work and only take 10-20 seconds. I've got just under 70 GB of games and the process doesn't take any longer than that any time I add a game.

(What Linked Export does is sets up the file structure for your SNES, but the folders actually just contain links back to your hakchi2CE's games folder)
It is rather unintuitive the way it works. As least I got it fixed. Happy that I can play the games now. Snes mini, nes mini and psx classic have now replaced my pi3.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Can I do a Hakchi backup comllete with roms and everything? Just in case for the future.
Can I do a backup of my usb also?

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Can I do a Hakchi backup comllete with roms and everything? Just in case for the future.
Can I do a backup of my usb also?

Since I use Linked Export, all my games + hakchi setup are stored on my USB drive (well, I use an SD card, but I'll just refer to it as USB since most people use those). I also have my saves going to the USB drive, so it's in my best interest to back that stuff up. I just back up the whole USB drive to my PC roughly every month. I use CompCom's Options Menu to periodically backup my Retroarch settings to the USB as well.

Another thing you can do in hakchi is click on Kernel > Advanced > Dump user data partition. This backs up the stuff located on the NAND such as hmods, configurations, and save states. You can then restore your system with that file by clicking on "flash user data partition".

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Since I use Linked Export, all my games + hakchi setup are stored on my USB drive (well, I use an SD card, but I'll just refer to it as USB since most people use those). I also have my saves going to the USB drive, so it's in my best interest to back that stuff up. I just back up the whole USB drive to my PC roughly every month. I use CompCom's Options Menu to periodically backup my Retroarch settings to the USB as well.

Another thing you can do in hakchi is click on Kernel > Advanced > Dump user data partition. This backs up the stuff located on the NAND such as hmods, configurations, and save states. You can then restore your system with that file by clicking on "flash user data partition".
Thanks
To backup your usb you just copy paste the content to your pc? Lets say my usb dies, can I just copy it back to another usb and it will work right off the bat?
What's Compcom menu?

SteevL

Dec 25, 2018
Thanks
To backup your usb you just copy paste the content to your pc? Lets say my usb dies, can I just copy it back to another usb and it will work right off the bat?
What's Compcom menu?

Yep, I create a new folder on my PC and name it with the date of the backup, then copy the entire contents of the USB drive into that folder. If you copy it to a new USB, it should just work! It's certainly worked when I upgraded to larger drives and just copied the contents of the old drive to the new one.

CompCom's Options Menu can be found here. You can bring it up both in-game and when you're just in the NES/SNES Classic mini UI, although I had to change the button combination used to bring it up. L+R is way too easy to accidentally bring it up in-game on SNES games. I've got it set to L+R+Up.