• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mehdren

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Open registration. Have been a member on that other forum since 2004. Still have my account over there, I guess I'm less emotional about all that internet shitstorm stuff than others. Saw that most of the users I enjoy reading moved over here, plus I've been following Shinobi, Nibel, Zhuge, Emily and others for a long time on Twitter. Registering here was a no-brained for me.
This is pretty much how it went down for me too.

Oct 27, 2017
I was on GAF for four years I think, or maybe three. When all the drama happened I had enough, GAF was the first thing I visited when I waked up, to read news, gaming news and so on. Later the Giant Bomb community shot me an invite to discord, I hung around there for a while until I could get an account on ERA, I missed the invites/codes so I joined when the gates opened here. Got approved in under 24-hours, which was great.

So big shout outs to The GB Community (especially Hoo-Doo) for giving me a home away from home. And to the people who made ERA and got it up and running in the short time they did, and for making this feel like a really welcoming community.

johnwick

Oct 27, 2017
Just signed up last night when registration went live. Woke up today and checked my email, and what do you know ... my account got approved.

Didn't think it would happen so quick, but I'm glad it did.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I probably could've pestered my way in through the one Discord I'm barely in (which has a ResetEra admin in it) but I have a low self opinion, so I waited until open registration.

Oct 27, 2017
When GAF went down I realized how large of a part it played in my internet habits. But it just felt wrong to stay after the site went back up. Besides, a lot of my favorite posters were gone. Saw some people on GAF talking about this new alternative forum being made and I signed up as soon as I could.

Oct 26, 2017
the rooftops.
The wonderful dating discord people helped me: thanks Subpar Scrub, Salamando and zeyphersan with the last minute save :) You're good peeps

Pls don't hold them responsible for my posts. Ha

Last edited:

EQLibriM

Oct 27, 2017
By waiting on the open registration to become available, as I did not know what discord was.

Kind of bummed that there wasnt a way for me to jump ship sooner haha.
But thanks to the awesome moderators, i got to join quickly after that

Zeus

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
Lurked the old place for years, kept trying to talk myself into joining up and contributing. At first i didn't have the email required so when i tried to sign up i obviously could not. But by the time i was aware i had such an email i couldn't get past talking myself out of it. Everyone had so much to contribute and it was really hard to envision myself managing measuring up. I finally did end up signing up but after all that happened i'm unlikely to ever even look there again.
This time I didn't allow self doubt. There's a hell of a lot of people here making new starts so there's never going to be a better time.

It's a new era and i want to be part of it.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
When GAF died, I retreated to Reddit for a while. I saw SL&ENT mentioned on Twitter as a refuge for former GAFfers, so I checked them out and found them to be a welcome safe space to weather the storm. I heard about the development of Reset there, and got in last night during the thirty minutes or so registration was open.

Thank the gods for SL&ENT and for ResetEra. And thank the gods for the hard work of the mods and admins who put so much effort into getting this place up and running so quickly and so smoothly during the apocalypse.
This is my exact experience and also sums up my feelings very succinctly.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Although we're not supposed to talk about it much I was a long time lurker in Neogaf and one day I saw it had gone down, I didn't make much of it at the time, and then the next morning I found out of what had gone down. I think that like probably some people here that was the straw that broke the camel's back and made me decide to look for an alternative and I did manage to find some nice gaming communities but none that shared the eclectic and open feel that Neogaf offered at its prime. Then I heard about ResetEra, I tried to find out which Discord to join to get involved but was unable to so I just waited for open registrations and here I am.

Maybe it's just a perception thing, but there seems to be a very positive and constructive vibe going on right now and so far it feels like a very welcoming and friendly environment. I hope we can maintain it that way for a long time.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Joined in normal way but am ex-gaffer. Dropped off GAF to wait and see how the issues were handled and resolved. Heard about Resertera and decided to give it a whirl instead. Missed the whole Discord thing and just signed up so will go the junior route for old times sake!

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Was on the Dragon Ball discord before that helped me to other discords like the general discord and with it stay up to date about the situation before a new Era was created.

Barberetti

Oct 27, 2017
UK
When it all kicked off last weekend, I followed some of the conversation regarding how this place was being set up through Discord. I was thinking of trying to move over then, but as soon as it became apparent how quickly everything was moving, I was happy to wait for normal registration to be available. So here I am!

Great work from everyone involved with getting this place set up by the way. Thanks for doing it. Thanks also for the speedy registration process. I was expecting at the least a few days wait for the approval email. It turned up before I'd even finished re-stringing my guitar!

Oct 27, 2017
Was a NeoGAF lurker (but not a member). The Evilore shit accusation came out, but I was still a regular there because I do not like demonizing the accused until proven guilty, even with his prior accusations of sexual harassment.

Then he made that comment about her being a psycho and mentally ill and shit, which pissed me the fuck off. It takes a lot to piss me off.

So I quit the site, came back a few days later and noticed this website and decided to register.

I know we aren't supposed to talk about Evilore and I'm sorry, but I kind of wanted to get it off my chest, hahaha.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I registered yesterday shortly after the floodgates opened. Less than five minutes after I registered I was approved.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I had known about GAF for several years, but I only really started actively lurking it about 6 months ago. The engaged discussions, up-to-date news, consistent activity, and overall sense of community helped serve as a nice getaway as I've tried to work on my professional life, especially when I was working at a not-so-stellar job.

I never really thought about making an account on GAF, but with everyone getting a fresh start on a fresh forum I figured it was only fitting to jump in myself. Looking forward to being more actively engaged with you guys. :)

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
I just applied after open registration was announced and I got approved within hours. Having an active gaf account probably helped.

Oct 27, 2017
I was a long time poster on The Forum That Shall Not Be Named and got in yesterday during open registration.

This place is awesome and I think it's gonna stay that way. This community is special.

Volcane

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When GAF went down. I was browsing the fall out on Twitter. Saw mention of former mods going to start up a new forum called resetEra. I waited for it become live and sign up to open and joined up.

So hello fellow Eranites (or whatever we're calling ourselves)

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
When the news of the shower incident truly broke (Friday-ish) I was on my way out of the door and stayed offline for the rest of the weekend. That kinda sucked big time.

Came back to the forum being offline and went to my old watering hole, the bore, a chill place for esteemed gentlebeings that one way or other left that other forum at some point in time. Obviously, people were neck deep in the entire thing and were tossing juicy bits and snarks back and forth in a dedicated thread. Spent a good chunk of time getting up to date and coming to terms with the entire thing, then started debating with myself whether to install or use one of them newfangled chat things to get a code (had the main retreat been on IRC, I'd have been there immediately ... such is the folly of old farts). Well to be honest I wasn't optimistic about this whole endeavour either, to put it kindly, so staying at the sidelines and watching who'd emerge victorious and grab all the refugees seemed like a good bet, anyway.

By the time the numbers had spoken (and I had wrestled myself into submission with regards to the code acquisition), the sign ups were already opened in phase two, so I could forego the entire ordeal and just sign up using my email. Which I did.

So yeah. I'm a filthy nonbeliever. At least I got better, eventually.

Deleted member 9327

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lots of great stories in this thread!

Lurked the old place starting from 2012, joined and got banned around the launch of the Xbox One (guess why... ;P). Joined once again in 2014, promoted from Junior to Member and stayed since then. When the meltdown happened I wasn't jumping ship right away like many others. Didn't heard anything about all the shit coming up around the guy and so I had a hard time believing it. During this week I've discovered more and more of the disgusting puzzle until I finished it with someone posting evidence (screenshots) of his whole shitshow. I then decided to jump ship this Thursday. A lot of threads over there were full of people asking for invites and I joined them. Then our savior reached out his helping hand to drag us out of the ocean. Shoutout and big THANK YOU to Reki !

Me in this very special situation:
iYXIlGv.gif

He sent me over to Discord, which I've never used before. There I met Vena. Once again I have to give a big shoutout at this point: THANK YOU so much! He managed to get me and some other refugees into the last batch of the grace period before the public gates were opened. So, that's my story. Thanks for reading if you made it up to this point :)

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't super active at gaf, but went there multiple times on a daily basis. Just waited til an alternative popped up which was this, and registered

Deleted member 18095

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When the news of the shower incident truly broke (Friday-ish) I was on my way out of the door and stayed offline for the rest of the weekend. That kinda sucked big time.

Came back to the forum being offline and went to my old watering hole, the bore, a chill place for esteemed gentlebeings that one way or other left that other forum at some point in time. Obviously, people were neck deep in the entire thing and were tossing juicy bits and snarks back and forth in a dedicated thread. Spent a good chunk of time getting up to date and coming to terms with the entire thing, then started debating with myself whether to install or use one of them newfangled chat things to get a code (had the main retreat been on IRC, I'd have been there immediately ... such is the folly of old farts). Well to be honest I wasn't optimistic about this whole endeavour either, to put it kindly, so staying at the sidelines and watching who'd emerge victorious and grab all the refugees seemed like a good bet, anyway.

By the time the numbers had spoken (and I had wrestled myself into submission with regards to the code acquisition), the sign ups were already opened in phase two, so I could forego the entire ordeal and just sign up using my email. Which I did.

So yeah. I'm a filthy nonbeliever. At least I got better, eventually.

Sounds exactly like my experience.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The kind folks at Slaent and in the Fire Emblem discord after the whole situation started. I have had an account since early '06 so this was the place where I wanted to be.

PunkMilitia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw on THAT SITE people were talking about slaent, so I went there and joined the discord. From there I just got in.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Been around this community for the better part of the last 15 years or so. Lurker for much of it, active post for the last 4-5 years. Most in the photography threads, and stuff that pops up in my technical background (geologist).

I don't use Discord so it took awhile to get "in" here, though. (Awhile as in like 3 days :p)

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I was on GAF since the Gaming Age days, at least since 1999. GAF convinced me to get a Dreamcast.

When everything went down I wasn't on any discord, so I found Slaent and waited for RE to open.

I like Slaent and will keep posting there too.

Oct 25, 2017
I had been away from my computer for a day or two and when I came back Saturday morning (I think it was), I found gaf down. Which happens occasionally, so I gave it a couple hours. It didn't come back. So I headed over to slaent which I was already acquainted with to see if there was any news there. It's a splinter forum, so I guessed there might be some cross-talk.

There was a lot of news. Felt like that Community gif of Troy smiling with pizza walking into burning anarchy. I'd missed quite a bit while I was gone.

So I kept up to date there for a couple days. Started hearing non-solid rumors about a successor, so I began weaseling my way around to try and get in-the-know. Got into the main discord and started sharing what I learned with other people desperate for info about their new home.

Gaf came back up. I started lurking all my old spots to keep my finger on the pulse. One community I never participated much in but always lurked was JurassicGaf. Caught their community discord invite there, and when the time came for registration, JurassicEra was #2 on the list. Lucky!

So now I'm member #337 out of what is currently ~18,000. Getting in early and seeing the forum so fresh and empty was strange, but it filled up really fast.

Last edited:

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was on gaf under a different user name. I stayed on for a bit after it went to shit but it just wasnt the same and there was a lot of horrible stuff being said that was going unchecked. So i made one of those "im out" threads, didnt curse in it or say "fuck evilore" or anything of that nature, just a good bye to gaf. I came hear shortly thereafter. I heard about it on twitter and kotaku.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I had some very helpful members assist me with my account issues so I could complete the leap. This community is truly amazing!

DeepSearch

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I'd been a member of Gaf for about 3 years. Signed up when the majority of gaming communities showed their ass during the GamerGate fiasco, and NeoGaf was pretty much the only bastion of rational discourse pushing back on it. Came for gaming, stayed for OT and PoliGaf. One of my oldest and best friend got married last weekend, so I completely missed the fall of the old site and the exodus to Discord. When that site came back, I was shocked that my community was locked, OT was in shambles, and a new breed of posters were feeling emboldened, ranting about echo chambers, group think and SJW's without irony or repercussions. Signed up to ResetEra the old fashioned way, and promptly got accepted.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Long time GAF lurker. With the news happening, I found out how much I was enjoying the community - so here I am.

Oct 26, 2017
Discord. I joined Gaf in 2005 as the user Himuro. Seeing the place fall apart like that was surreal, but also entertaining in a way. Glad to be given another chance at Reset.

Last edited:

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I was on GAF since the Gaming Age days, at least since 1999. GAF convinced me to get a Dreamcast.

When everything went down I wasn't on any discord, so I found Slaent and waited for RE to open.

I like Slaent and will keep posting there too.

This is exactly my story, right down to joining the original Gaming-Age forum way back in 1999. Kind of jarring to have a place I've been posting for nearly twenty years suddenly seem so foreign, but glad to find slaent and of course this new home.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I lurked Neogaf for the longest time, but never felt comfortable enough to post. Now that we are having a fresh start, I feel more inclined to be a part of the community!

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been on GAF for many years, but wasn't actually on the Discord before all this went down. Thankfully got an invite before the server was locked down, and was then brought over from there. Stayed up waaay too late (I'm in Sweden) waiting for that first wave to happen, but it was worth it!