Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Not bad but is it only Mighty and Ray we get or do other new stuff get included in plus like new stages, boss fights and so on?

Oct 28, 2017
Forces got a lot of love and did well in Japan. Thankfully, current Sonic's not going anywhere (BTW, forces was mostly a 2D game).
Got a lot of love from who? It got a lot of hate, and rightfully so.

Current Sonic aint gonna get another game btw. Aint no way Sonic Team are gonna stick with that gameplay style after that. They'll do something different. We wont get another Forces any more than we were gonna get another Adventure style Sonic after 06.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I didn't see Mighty's wall jump. I hope that ability makes it in since that's what made him so fun to play as in Chaotix (and his speed).

I'm digging the different times of day in the levels like GH and MS. That reminds me of the day/night cycle in Chaotix.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Mighty is the OG red and black character. Who is Shadow?
Also, the overall hint from these recent fan panels and the Iizuka's remarks seems to be that they're going to keep some characters exclusive to one side of the brand or the other. So, characters such as Mighty, Ray, Fang/Nack, Bean and Bark are likely going to stay in the classic-verse, while on the flip side, there will be no "classic versions" of the likes of Shadow, Blaze and Silver.

And I'm just fine with that. Just give me Classic Amy, Vector and Espio in Mania's sequel.

Oct 28, 2017
What's making u say this?
Yeah I don't get it. Sonic Advance was a solid game but really it was poor mans classic Sonic and Advance 3 just plain sucked. Never played Advance 2.

Now Rush and Rush Adventure. Those were fantastic games. Turned the Sonic formula on its head. Unique fun gameplay all its own. Not like 2D Sonic that came before it, but it didn't try to be and they were just really great games on their own merits.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, I appreciate the update being only $5...but I want that physical copy. I'll actually use the reversible cover this time!

Virtua King

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Yeah I don't get it. Sonic Advance was a solid game but really it was poor mans classic Sonic and Advance 3 just plain sucked. Never played Advance 2.

Now Rush and Rush Adventure. Those were fantastic games. Turned the Sonic formula on its head. Unique fun gameplay all its own. Not like 2D Sonic that came before it, but it didn't try to be and they were just really great games on their own merits.

Pretty much my opinion as well. Advance 1 and 2 were fun but had too many issues that held them back, specifically level design, and yes, 3 sucked ass. The Rush games though are my favorite handheld Sonic games, period. I used to speed run Generations, and the Rush games gave me a similar kind of high, plus their soundtracks were so good too.

Oct 27, 2017
Knuckles being reunited with Mighty is so dang adorable. I love how Tails is just look at Ray in confusion. I'm ready for this.

Pretty much my opinion as well. Advance 1 and 2 were fun but had too many issues that held them back, specifically level design, and yes, 3 sucked ass. The Rush games though are my favorite handheld Sonic games, period. I used to speed run Generations, and the Rush games gave me a similar kind of high, plus their soundtracks were so good too.

3 took the special ability system too far for alternate paths and the level design just became a mess as a result unfortunately.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was coming out August 28, or is that only for the physical copy?

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Time to fuckin Triple Dip. I'm gonna upgrade my Xbox Versiom and also buying to buy a Switch physical release.

God, this game is incredible.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Pretty disappointed with Mighty's ability not being his wall kick from Chaotix. Not really a fan of either of these characters honestly, but I will absolutely be there day one for the upgrade. Looking forward to replaying the game a dozen more times.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty disappointed with Mighty's ability not being his wall kick from Chaotix. Not really a fan of either of these characters honestly, but I will absolutely be there day one for the upgrade. Looking forward to replaying the game a dozen more times.

I presume Mighty's gimmick would give him overlap with Knuckles, so they're making him different enough that he stands out.

Also, it seems level design for Mania hinted at Mighty's abilities. There's at least one spot in Lava Reef that seems designed around Ray's ground pound, as you can't get there outside of Debug Mode.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I presume Mighty's gimmick would give him overlap with Knuckles, so they're making him different enough that he stands out.

Also, it seems level design for Mania hinted at Mighty's abilities. There's at least one spot in Lava Reef that seems designed around Ray's ground pound, as you can't get there outside of Debug Mode.
Wait, are you confusing Mighty and Ray with each other? Mighty's the red one.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Well, even more so than that, the very reason he had a wall-kick in Chaotix was because he and the other characters in that game needed their own take on Knux's wall climb, which went along with how that game was much more vertical.

Since Mania's level design has nothing in common with Chaotix much at all (thankfully), that was all the more reason Mighty needed something else.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Wow looks pretty great, I am all over a physical copy.

Been reading Console Wars by Blake J Harris and its put me in the mood for some 2D Sonic.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Me too. They were awesome and they had a little chao garden too. I remember when I first played advance for christmas I couldnt believe the graphics were better than the genesis
Yeah graphics were pretty cool, hell among the very best for GBA.
What's making u say this?
Well for start i grew up with those and not the Genesis games (except playing a few levels of 2) so i don't have lots of nostalgia for the graphic style this is going for. it looks nice but kinda like a 'downgrade' if that makes sense, then this one just reminds me of those and i miss them, Rush was very cool too but different.

Adv.1 and 3 were among the best Sonic games and the team up like Heroes was better than Heroes :P

Mumford

Oct 25, 2017
Man. Summer release, and the upgrade (that gets you two new characters, and new stages, etc.) is only $5? I'm surprised there aren't more people here freaking out about this, honestly. I'm all over this as soon as it drops;coming from someone who had merely dabbled in classic Sonic before Mania came out, I adore just about everything about that game (except that some of the bosses are frustrating on repeat runs, but hey, there's no such thing as a perfect game) and will gladly eat up anything else that Mania team puts out. This is my favorite kind of post launch support to support, so I'm hoping that this is pretty expansive and does well for them and then that (along w/ the initial success of Mania obviously) enables this team to do Mania 2 if that's what they would want to do. I trust them more than Sonic Team at this point, obviously. I'm stoked for this, as you can tell.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I just don't see what sonic mania doesn't offer which an advance (1) lover would want outside from character designs and silly moveset. Is it the extra move then?
I'll stan for Amy's Advance 1 moveset until I die, but I also don't blame anyone for preferring the Advance artstyle. That spritework is something else, even if I think Mania's gorgeous.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Man. Summer release, and the upgrade (that gets you two new characters, and new stages, etc.) is only $5? I'm surprised there aren't more people here freaking out about this, honestly.

It's a fantastic price for a game that's already cheap to begin with. I preordered the physical version and I'll upgrade my digital version as well.

ChemicalWorld

"This guy are sick"
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
That trailer just made my year. :D

Team Mania keep on going from strength to strength. Can't wait for the encore mode and my Mighty and Ray play throughs!