• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The game is virtually identical on all platforms, so whatever you'd prefer to play it on is the best option. Steam does give the possibility of mods in the future, and Switch is portable, so there's no objective best.

My concern is mostly storage, though that would be alleviated if i bought the physical version. Though I am going to have to splurge on a high-capacity SD card for Switch sometime anyway...

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
So the Famitsu scan seems to show that character swapping is an option in Plus, probably exclusive to encore mode? The shot apparently shows Mighty and Sonic as a pair with the ability to change between them on the fly.

My concern is mostly storage, though that would be alleviated if i bought the physical version. Though I am going to have to splurge on a high-capacity SD card for Switch sometime anyway...
If space is your concern, Sonic Mania is only ~370MB on the Switch. Plus will increase that size, but probably not by much.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god: everyone and everything is piling onto the Switch's Octo week.

Fantastic upgrade price, though it makes me wonder how substantial the Encore Mode variants will be or if you're primarily paying for Mighty and Ray.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Will eventually buy physical and Switch, and upgrade for the One. I'm sure I won't hate it, but I know I'm just not gonna put that many hours into this game. At least I still have Untitled Sonic Racing Project to be hyped for.
Wait, out of all people, you don't like sonic mania? It's the best sonic game since sonic 3 and knuckles.
I will purchase this physically for PS4 even though I already own the digital copy.

Oct 27, 2017
So the Famitsu scan seems to show that character swapping is an option in Plus, probably exclusive to encore mode? The shot apparently shows Mighty and Sonic as a pair with the ability to change between them on the fly.

If space is your concern, Sonic Mania is only ~370MB on the Switch. Plus will increase that size, but probably not by much.
character swapping? that's a gamechanger

that's...actually pretty overpowered. Tails & Knuckles becomes OP as all hell

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
gozKbvs.png

Find someone who looks at you the way Ray looks at Tails.
And I love how Tails is just like "so, who are you again...?"

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been out of the loop. Is this a free update to the game? I have the digital download on my Switch.

This is a paid DLC if you bought the game, I believe.

Assuming the accidental PS4 patch is anything, you may get an update with some additions -- all zones have transitions, redesigned boss -- but the new characters and Encore Mode are premium content.

The stuff shown in the trailer is likely all paid content, as it was the two characters and footage of Encore Mode.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So does it add anything besides Ray, Mighty and some changed level design/backgrounds?

Famitsu interview/scans shows Angel Island as a playable level, and Encore mode features a tag team mechanic allowing you to swap between players. Zones in Encore Mode will also have new level mechanics.

Competition (vs. multiplayer mode) and Time Trial mode will also be expanded to support up to four players, and ghost challenges for the latter.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
The most egregious frame drops were fixed in the 1.1 patch on Switch, and there's some very minor stuttering in a few now (still most noticeable in the first special stage).

It's there, but it's pretty much the textbook definition of a nonissue, unless two occasional dropped frames will give you migraines. The regular gameplay outside of that runs at a solid and locked 60.

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
Even with that slight drop the Switch version is portable and looks extremely nice on the Switch's screen. I'd say it's a very good trade-off.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Is it wrong that I feel like we could continue to see ongoing support for Sonic Mania? How perhaps later this year, we'll get a second expansion and it will be called, "Sonic Mania Plus Ultra" with more playable characters? Honestly, I wouldn't be against it since both Mighty and Ray look to have interesting gameplay styles. Even if one of them happens to be Mario wearing his cape inside of a flying squirrel, the feel is still something brand new (or at least I'd like to think so since I didn't really play Genesis growing up).

Still, I wonder what other characters they would consider adding in if they were to do more? Best I can think of is either grabbing more Chaotix characters, but I can't say for sure if it would be needed or not since five characters is probably more than enough.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I like how Mania gets this cool updated version and mini cartoons while Forces gets nothing beyond the trash DLC they already had planned before it even released. I really hope the reception to Mania compared to Forces really gets them to rethink 3D Sonic.

OP
OP
Redhead On Moped
Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
I like how Mania gets this cool updated version and mini cartoons while Forces gets nothing beyond the trash DLC they already had planned before it even released. I really hope the reception to Mania compared to Forces really gets them to rethink 3D Sonic.
Forces got a lot of love and did well in Japan. Thankfully, current Sonic's not going anywhere (BTW, forces was mostly a 2D game).

MMaRsu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blergh these new characters are UGLY! Not buying this shit to keep my game pristine.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
Day one. I've been saying for years that'd I pay for good Sonic games - I've already purchased Mania across two formats and will definitely get the DLC

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ray new ability could be great fot speedrunners.

Day 1 for me, I just want to have a Sonic Mania case in my shelf :)