• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good luck. I don't see many of their games making compelling TV or cinema shows but we'll see what happens. Better than nothing surely.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know about movies, but exploring more than games was part of the deal that he signed with SIE.
I wonder how long Kojima Productions will stay independent before SIE decides they want to purchase them. But then again, the same could have been said about Insomniac a long time ago & they're still thriving, especially in partnetship with SIE.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
This right here is the best thing they've said:

"You can see just by watching older video game adaptations that the screenwriter or director didn't understand that world or the gaming thing," Layden says. "The real challenge is, how do you take 80 hours of gameplay and make it into a movie? The answer is, you don't. What you do is you take that ethos you write from there specifically for the film audience. You don't try to retell the game in a movie."

But it's just words.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This is by far the most promising quote from Layden:

"What you do is you take that ethos you write from there specifically for the film audience. You don't try to retell the game in a movie."

So it sounds like we won't be getting straight adaptations and instead maybe stories from already pre-established worlds, or maybe reboots that tell things differently.

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
Finish Sly Cooper first, then try doing more.
Edit: And release the old PaRappa anime abroad, while at it.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

So it sounds like we won't be getting straight adaptations and instead maybe stories from already pre-established worlds, or maybe reboots that tell things differently.

This is really the only way a TLoU movie/TV show could work based on what Neil said. He think it'd be better off just taking place in the world instead of trying to be about Ellie and Joel.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
INB4 "I thought their games were movies already HUEHUEHUE aren't I so funny guize?"

well, to be fair, I wouldnt really be that interested in straight adaptations of the games; I mean, we already know those stories. And I have a hard time fathoming how a The Last Of Us or God of War movie might be more impressive in that regards; some of those setpieces would need insane budgets to translate well on screen.

"What you do is you take that ethos you write from there specifically for the film audience. You don't try to retell the game in a movie."

Seems that Shawn and me are on the same page.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You cant be serious?

Yes I am. TLOU is my 2nd favourite game ever made and I'm not confident it would be half as good as a film. I'm not surprised they've had difficulty adapting it thus far. I'd say the same for Uncharted as well. I don't care as much for a lor of their other games so you probably know more than me but it's all pure conjecture and guesswork anyway so *shrugs*

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
This is really the only way a TLoU movie/TV show could work based on what Neil said. He think it'd be better off just taking place in the world instead of trying to be about Ellie and Joel.
Which I think anyone would agree with. Just retelling what ND already told in the game would suck and nobody else but ND should be able to touch Ellie and Joel's story.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
ouuuh i did not know that. They never specified anything about this?

At the time the agreement was signed and he announced the new studio, he mentioned that the focus would be to produce all kinds of digital content.

While getting the game made is Kojima's first priority, he also has big plans for his company in the not-too-distant future. "The focus is on digital content," Kojima said, "so we could consider movies, animations, anything. But I think people expect games from me."

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

That is certainly reassuring. I would hate straight up 1:1 adaptations, it wouldnt work at all

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Too bad they sold the rights to the Uncharted film, which has been in development hell for years now. That could have been a neat film if done right.

Well, at least they have Days Gone. We need a new zombie film.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for a the ERA threads with people ridiculously overestimating these movies' box office performance.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I am. TLOU is my 2nd favourite game ever made and I'm not confident it would be half as good as a film. I'm not surprised they've had difficulty adapting it thus far. I'd say the same for Uncharted as well. I don't care as much for a lor of their other games so you probably know more than me but it's all pure conjecture and guesswork anyway so *shrugs*
I kinda agree about the Last of Us, but only because we've already had the Road & A Quiet Place. It would so similar to those films. They would really have to sell the tension with the clickers & Joel being a father figure to Ellie. Or maybe they could even do an original story that nothing to do with them. I think the important thing is that PlayStation is in creative control & I'm sure they would make sure it's extremely good.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida

giphy.gif

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This won't be bad if Sony actually hires good writers with a demonstrated track record of success in the genre of each game they're trying to transition.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
This should be an E3 stage announcement...

If they attending that is.
maybe in 2020. I dont understand why people insist they'll be there. They said they won't be.

As for my opinion, I think it's hilarious they're focusing on tv, an area that got Microsoft in trouble quick. This is literally the same exact situation as Xbox Entertainment Division in 2013. It didn't work then, it won't work now for Playstation. Halo is arguably the most easily adaptable game there is and it still hasn't panned out.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I kinda agree about the Last of Us, but only because we've already had the Road & A Quiet Place. It would so similar to those films. They would really have to sell the tension with the clickers & Joel being a father figure to Ellie. Or maybe they could even do an original story that nothing to do with them. I think the important thing is that PlayStation is in creative control & I'm sure they would make sure it's extremely good.

Yeah I liked A Quiet Place, that'd make a good template to follow in some aspects. But like you say it'd be tough. I agree with the recent thread here that games specifically suit horror/tense moments the best. HZD is another good example for different reasons, destroying a Thunderjaw felt *great* but I dunno how thrilling it'd be at the cinema.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Where are these going to be? PS+ like that Power show? If so then I expect a low budget and mostly average shows/movies. Just give me an authentic Bloodborne movie or tv show, and I'd be happy.

Natsunoyuutsu

Oct 28, 2017
The game people don't even have enough time to finish what they make or catch up the demand for the gaming market along.
I don't have much opinion about cross-media but personally I can't think gaming companies trying to do too much is a good thing in general.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Bloodborne animated series by the people behind the Netflix Castlevania show...

The game people don't even have enough time to finish what they make or catch up the demand for the gaming market along.
I don't have much opinion about cross-media but personally I can't think gaming companies trying to do too much is a good thing in general.

Sony is a lot more than just a gaming company.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just what we don't want.

Didn't they see how going after TV didn't work out for MS this generation?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if PlayStation Productions will get Jordan Vogt-Roberts on board for that Metal Gear Solid movie. Maybe they can make a deal with Konami.

This PlayStation Productions team would be seemingly good for someone like me, who mostly doesn't play games anymore, but has had 20 years with the brand.

Now, I would like a Jak & Daxter animated series, please.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I wonder if PlayStation Productions will get Jordan Vogt-Roberts on board for that Metal Gear Solid movie. Maybe they can make a deal with Konami.

This PlayStation Productions team would be seemingly good for someone like me, who mostly doesn't play games anymore, but has had 20 years with the brand.

Now, I would like a Jak & Daxter animated series, please.

Sony Pictures already has the IP rights. They would only have to "hire" PlayStation Productions to produce the movie.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Just what we don't want.
Didn't they see how going after TV didn't work out for MS this generation?
That's not the same case at all
It's just SIE wanted to use their IP in a good way and leverage their experience in games to create good content (series/movies) and keep the creative control to achieve this.

It's not conflicting with the investment they made/will make in their Gaming division with new IP, games, etc...

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
It would not be much different from making deals with Netflix, Disney and Hulu to be honest. A new exclusive video service for this, being accessible by PS+ users would be very interesting for them.

Maybe they could even create a new PS+ tier just for this, costing $5 to $7 a month.

Maybe this is where the PS+ Premium rumors come into play.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
Get some good writers and someone like Kevin Feige to manage this thing and they might have something going with this. First thing that comes to mind is an animated Bloodborne show like Netflix's Castlevania show

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
"Just when you were about to lose hope of the franchise ever returning...."
"Syphon Filter 4: the (Netflix)(Prime)(Hulu) original "
You do realize we already got a sequel to the last Syphon Filter...
... and it's called Days Gone. I'm not joking. There are collectibles in the game that sets Days Gone in the same universe as Syphon Filter.