• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Big mp devs have much more power at the start of next gen than now.

And its a selling point for next gen

Here is crossplay
BC with PS 1-4
AND Ea Access and stuff.

Its damage control if they change stuff now, but the timing for any meaningful gains couldn't be worse.

Still think they should do it, ateast for fortnite tho.

I mean how about we try our best to get them to change THIS particular restraint first and then focus on cross play. The sooner we get them to budge and conform. The harder it'll be for them to backtrack.

Instead of hoping they announce this is 2 years when they unveil the PS5

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I don't give a shit about crossplay but the account locking stuff is complete bullshit.

I also don't like the arrogance on display by Sony. I love PlayStation but Sony really needs to consider the future. You can only generate so much ill will before it reaches a breaking point. They're worried about protecting their ecosystem and not giving their competitors an inch but they can't keep this up forever. The saddest part is that Sony already learned this lesson with the launch of the PS3. I'm almost convinced that these major companies have decided to take turns as the "bad guys" because they somehow believe that rising and falling is more profitable than remaining on top. "Ok Sony, it's your turn to fuck up. Then we'll start with the arrogance and anti-consumer stuff so you can come back strong again!".

Oct 25, 2017
Im actually glad Sony is doing this. People can cry all they want it wont change the fact that the Playstation has then biggest instal base for Fortnite and Sony has the luxury on picking whether or not they want to share it with others. Playstation is the biggest reason Fornite is as big as it is now. If they want to they will do it, If they dont they wont. No crying from anyone is going to change what they're business decisions. Playstation owners will enjoy the massive base that plays on that system only. While not having to worry about any other base. This is Sony flexing their muscle, how they should when they want. With them providing all of he's wonderful first party games, and not changing all of their games into GaaS, I support their decision. Now This is my opinion, and its for sure not fact. But we all have our own opinions.

This is quite frankly a terrible post and the REAL reason Sony won't change. You have too many people that think like this.

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
This is about consumer rights. Sony shouldn't have a say in what you can do with your Fortnite account. As others have said: It's not about crossplay. Crossplay is another thing entirely. It's that you cannot unlink your Fortnite account and then link it with Switch/Xbox. Your purchases are trapped in Sonys ecosystem, and Sony doesn't have a goddamn right to do that.

It sets a toxic precedent that shouldn't be tolerated!

Jokegeta

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't mind them trying to remain "competitive". But, I think this game currently is too big to ignore. Every business has to make exceptions. Understanding that they have had massive data breaches in the past (so this may call their networking infrastructure into question and rightfully so)however, they must overcome that and move forward.

Also I much prefer this(no console platform crossplay) over 24 hour drm checks. Just gonna leave this one here.

Yea because this situation here wont put Sony in trouble anywhere near what MS got in 2013.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Big mp devs have much more power at the start of next gen than now.

And its a selling point for next gen

Here is crossplay
BC with PS 1-4
AND Ea Access and stuff.

Its damage control if they change stuff now, but the timing for any meaningful gains couldn't be worse.

Still think they should do it, ateast for fortnite tho.
Sony will be fine guys

hqdefault.jpg

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
Im actually glad Sony is doing this. People can cry all they want it wont change the fact that the Playstation has then biggest instal base for Fortnite and Sony has the luxury on picking whether or not they want to share it with others. Playstation is the biggest reason Fornite is as big as it is now. If they want to they will do it, If they dont they wont. No crying from anyone is going to change what they're business decisions. Playstation owners will enjoy the massive base that plays on that system only. While not having to worry about any other base. This is Sony flexing their muscle, how they should when they want. With them providing all of he's wonderful first party games, and not changing all of their games into GaaS, I support their decision. Now This is my opinion, and its for sure not fact. But we all have our own opinions.
You should be fucking embarrassed.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What ? How is that even possible ?
In what world epic has the right to remove their game from ps4 after people paid for the game in ps4 ?

Epic has zero rights to threaten playstation about removing the game like at all whatsoever.
What do you mean? They could absolutely remove the game from PSN store. People that already have downloaded it wouldn't be affected but those who never downloaded it couldn't at that point. That's absolutely within epics right

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
sigh.....

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Epic is not going to ruin a profitable business relationship to gain brownie points from gamers. If they expect Fortnite to be the biggest game in the world forever, then sure they could throw their weight around and force companies to follow a policy, but I don't think anyone expects Fortnite to be the most popular game in 2-3 years when the next gen consoles come. And Epic is not going to throw away the potential largest playerbase for their next game for goodwill.

It's all business in the end.

And Sony would not risk it because of that playerbase. But like you said aside from customer respect they gain nothing so that's why Epic would not react.

jakob ben-oni

Oct 27, 2017
Eh this is intellectually lazy. Yes all business goals are very similar but not all companies are the same in what specifically there upper management objectives are, as well as how they go about however and should not be treated as such.

This also true is within the same company when major leadership changes occurs. There are nuances to this.

I didnt say all companies, rather I specified giant, multnational, bureaucratic corporations. They all seek the same things becuase if the management doesnt, shreholders lose value and they get fired. The constraining forces are competion and regulations, and very occasionally public shaming. Morover, management becomes management because they are hyper competitive, win at all costs, alphas despite their public images.

These companies are powerful and useful if constrained, but don't ever trust these amoral entities. They are the main reason American politics is corrupt.

Feb 26, 2018
This is about consumer rights. Sony shouldn't have a say in what you can do with your Fortnite account. As others have said: It's not about crossplay. Crossplay is another thing entirely. It's that you cannot unlink your Fortnite account and then link it with Switch/Xbox. Your purchases are trapped in Sonys ecosystem, and Sony doesn't have a goddamn right to do that.

It sets a toxic precedent that shouldn't be tolerated!

I don't understand why Epic allowed this to happen.
"OK Sony we will lock OUR accounts because you asked to". Doesn't make sense for me

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
What do you mean? They could absolutely remove the game from PSN store. People that already have downloaded it wouldn't be affected but those who never downloaded it couldn't at that point. That's absolutely within epics right
How about the people who paid online stuff on the ps4?

Also im pretty sure they dont have the right to just remove the game whenever they want to, not to mention they agreed to the policy of playstation when they released it on ps4

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
developers/publishers need to make cross-play mandatory. this will make Sony move on the issue fast if the next GTAonline/Battlefield/CoD skips their platform.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't expect Fox Business to actually cover this. This must be a big deal or something.

Yeesh.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"i'm glad sony is flexing its muscles, it gives me a boner"

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017

I......what?

EBomb

Oct 25, 2017

God bless the ignore feature.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
What kind of fanboy diarrhea is this...

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
omgwtf.gif

People's accounts are being locked to PlayStation, even when those accounts were made elsewhere first.

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused why Epic allows Sony to lock accounts.

How does Epic benefit from doing that?
I'd imagine they just don't have an option due to either whatever agreement they had with Sony (which was probably made at a time when they didn't have nearly as much leverage as they do now) or they're just getting so much of their money from PS4 players that they can't risk flexing and having Sony call their bluff.

Jokegeta

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is quite frankly a terrible post and the REAL reason Sony won't change. You have too many people that think like this.

Thats great. But they still wont change it no matter how much people in here fuss about it. The real reason they wont change it is because they dont have to.

You think the casuals out here are worried about playing vs xbone and Switch users? You think with the exclusives Sony provides, that people are going to drop them because they wont allow you to play with switch users? lol come on guys. get real

Oct 25, 2017
México

Jokegeta

A joke indeed.

danGlokta

Nov 1, 2017
THIS IS NOT ABOUT FUCKING CROSSPLAY.

giphy.gif

They are holding people's Fortnite accounts hostage. This isn't about crossplay.

Pretty much, Sony, a company pretty much hijacked the accounts of another companies consumers, that crosses so many fucking lines.

This is about the accounts being locked out if you played on ps4, It should be fixed asap. If it was just about the lack of crossplay than that's totally different but it's a seperate thing.

lol yea it pisses me off how people can't understand Sony is holding fortnite progression hostage.

Oh, you mean how games have always worked? Could you have purchased COD on PS3 and carry on progress you had on COD 360? Or any other game for that matter?

Oct 25, 2017
I will say. I have been skeptical. As evidenced by my previous posts.

But this HAS been the most noise and attention any situation regarding Cross Play has gotten. I feel If we are going to make any headway on Sony changing stance or even just giving up this one constraint. It'll be now. If this blows over after tomorrow then that's it imo.

Oct 25, 2017

This makes no fucking sense.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

Posts like this is why this forum has a reputation as a Sony haven where other systems aren't welcome.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Yea because this situation here wont put Sony in trouble anywhere near what MS got in 2013.

It probably won't. This has been a standard business practice for a while and they're probably not ready for it. I think of it like with Nintendo and region locking. Everyone complained, there was a media campaign and that was it. Personally for me, this is not a huge priority.

From what I understand I will not be able to use my ps4 account(epic account) another platform and that is problematic. Continue to be upset with that.

Deleted member 33319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
These companies are not your friend. Sony's first party line of games doesn't justify holding accounts hostage. Playstation players would benefit from being able to play with Xbox/Switch players as well, even so, this issue isn't about crossplay.
Nice Kratos avatar.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe you should be glad about things that help consumers instead of siding with a corporation that doesn't give a single fuck about you.

Once again, this IS NOT ABOUT CROSSPLAY, but I doubt you read up on the issue here and just had to get your shitty hot take in.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, you want to be a new meme.

WhoTurgled

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao this is embarrassing, like some of the weakest shit I've ever read