AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Im actually glad Sony is doing this. People can cry all they want it wont change the fact that the Playstation has then biggest instal base for Fortnite and Sony has the luxury on picking whether or not they want to share it with others. Playstation is the biggest reason Fornite is as big as it is now. If they want to they will do it, If they dont they wont. No crying from anyone is going to change what they're business decisions. Playstation owners will enjoy the massive base that plays on that system only. While not having to worry about any other base. This is Sony flexing their muscle, how they should when they want. With them providing all of he's wonderful first party games, and not changing all of their games into GaaS, I support their decision. Now This is my opinion, and its for sure not fact. But we all have our own opinions.
definitely the worst post I have ever read on ERA that's not about race or gender.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Lmao at the defense and deflections being made to somehow justify this horrible decision by Sony.

"Is Sony really to blame? Epic deserves the criticism."
"It's a smart business decision so it's understandable"
" if Microsoft or Nintendo were number #1, they would totally be doing the same thing with locking down accounts"
" Microsoft makes you buy a Gold subscription to play this which is just as bad". Nintendo may as well in a few months"
"It kind of sucks, but Sony is brilliant to wait until the PS5 releases to change their policy"

And my favorite recent post. "I'm glad Sony is doing this"

danGlokta

Nov 1, 2017
This is about consumer rights. Sony shouldn't have a say in what you can do with your Fortnite account. As others have said: It's not about crossplay. Crossplay is another thing entirely. It's that you cannot unlink your Fortnite account and then link it with Switch/Xbox. Your purchases are trapped in Sonys ecosystem, and Sony doesn't have a goddamn right to do that.

It sets a toxic precedent that shouldn't be tolerated!

How is it Sony's fault? This looks to be Epics fault. They could add separate progression for each set of consoles, like Rockstar handles progression in GTA V. You can use you same account for both you just can't transfer saves between them. So if Sony is not stopping Rockstar why would they be stopping Epic?

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Epic can offer the game for them and what they purchase for other system of their choice and players should be angry of Sony for this and not Epic. And yes it's their game. They have the right if the platform policy suck.
This would be a huge mistake for Epic to do and just as much a negative as this account thing is. So no It's not something Epic should do.

Jokegeta

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You know what you guys are right, i only looked into the vs switch and xbox user thing. I didnt even look at the holding the account hostage thing. I dont agree with that part.

Oct 25, 2017
It's been going on since last year with Minecraft.

It's not going away.

Like I said. It's goes on and off. Only the people on forums got outraged by minecraft, and Rocket league. It barely registered to consumers and died out after a day. This can follow the same path regardless of how much attention it has right now.

Your posts seem to be more concerned with taking jabs here instead of even trying to get this issue solved.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh really? How isn't the developer/publisher blocking it in every other case?

Just because I don't have tunnel vision doesn't mean I need to pretend that I do.
What every other case? THERE ARE NO OTHER CASES. The only other game that would have had this happen is Minecraft, and MS flat out said 'oh you won't let it work right? then we're not releasing it' so it never got to this point. Holy shit. Read the OP like 100 times until you understand the issue if need be, but stop being this ignorant.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crossplay isn't the issue people.

SONY IS ESSENTIALLY STEALING PEOPLE'S PURCHASES WITH THIS EPIC ACCOUNT LOCK!!!

Epic Accounts created on PC or a console that are NOT a Sony console that has Fortnite purchases associated with the account and the account is linked to PSN, that account then for all intents and purposes is a Sony locked account, it CANNOT be used on XBox/Switch.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, you mean how games have always worked? Could you have purchased COD on PS3 and carry on progress you had on COD 360? Or any other game for that matter?
Have games always worked like this: I buy something on PC. Epic asks me to link my account to all kinds of stuff, so I link it to my PS4 cause why not. Later I try to link to Switch. I can't because Sony is stopping me. I've never even played on PS4. I've spent real money on PC, money Sony doesn't let me transfer to Switch. Sony!? What the fuck do they have to do with that? It's absurd.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe removing the game from the PSN store is an actual solution that's been brought up in this thread. yeah let's screw every PS4 gamer to stick it to Sony.

Thank god the industry doesn't work like some direct to DVD movie

Oct 28, 2017
Im actually glad Sony is doing this. People can cry all they want it wont change the fact that the Playstation has then biggest instal base for Fortnite and Sony has the luxury on picking whether or not they want to share it with others. Playstation is the biggest reason Fornite is as big as it is now. If they want to they will do it, If they dont they wont. No crying from anyone is going to change what they're business decisions. Playstation owners will enjoy the massive base that plays on that system only. While not having to worry about any other base. This is Sony flexing their muscle, how they should when they want. With them providing all of he's wonderful first party games, and not changing all of their games into GaaS, I support their decision. Now This is my opinion, and its for sure not fact. But we all have our own opinions.

Yep, just keep enabling anti-consumerism with fanboy rhetoric like this. Why should Sony give a shit when they can fall back on their zealots.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even if they don't allow crossplay, they shouldn't be able to completely lock someone's Epic account to PS4/PSN. That's ridiculous.

JimmyJacking

Oct 28, 2017
How is it Sony's fault? This looks to be Epics fault. They could add separate progression for each set of consoles, like Rockstar handles progression in GTA V. You can use you same account for both you just can't transfer saves between them. So if Sony is not stopping Rockstar why would they be stopping Epic?

Oh dude, you are digging a hole you won't be able to get out of..

Stop now..

kbear

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CROSSPLAY!

People are pissed because THEY SPENT REAL MONEY ON OTHER PLATFORMS and Sony is LOCKING THOSE PURCHASES on to the PS4 and there is NO WAY to reverse the lock.
It's absolutely amazing how many still don't get this. Thirty pages here, the mainstream articles, Gerstmann describing it in the Phil Spencer interview yesterday. Nearly every source harps on either the cross play or the fact that you can't take your PS4 progression to Xbox and Switch.

We could have another 30 pages and I guarantee there would still be people mentioning that stuff while being completely oblivious about what basically amounts to outright theft by a multi billion dollar company.

Last edited:

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
Your God of War avatar makes your post so cohesive.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe removing the game from the PSN store is an actual solution that's been brought up in this thread. yeah let's screw every PS4 gamer to stick it to Sony.

That's how you know many in here don't actually care about gamers, and instead a lot of it just boils down to platform preference warrior nonsense.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said in the other thread, this is a horrible response. Not only does it completely ignore the problem, it's borderline 2009-era Nintendo levels of sales smugness. It's a really terrible look.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think that's what's going to happeno r should have to happen, but right now Sony is screwing people that aren't even their own customers. If Epic just said 'fuck it' and delisted the game that would sure bring an end to this quickly.

I mean, that's already essentially what happened with Minecraft: The playstation versions are stuck in the past because Sony wouldn't play ball in the EXACT same manner that is causing this Fortnite debacle. They never got the current version of the game because of it. Minecraft players on playstation got hosed just the same.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What every other case? THERE ARE NO OTHER CASES. The only other game that would have had this happen is Minecraft, and MS flat out said 'oh you won't let it work right? then we're not releasing it' so it never got to this point. Holy shit. Read the OP like 100 times until you understand the issue if need be, but stop being this ignorant.
Really? Did you even read the post I replied to? Just gotta rage that hard huh?

I think we're done here.

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The funny thing is...Nintendo listened.

Sony will, too. When they announce PS5. Cross-Play is gonna be a feature they are going to show. Thunderous applause from the audience. Everything will be forgotten by then. They trade this short-term uproar for a positive "change/we listened to the players" marketing claim.

Just like Apple and the Steam-Link app. There was uproar about that for a week, now everybody forgot about it...

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

That's because people have the false assumption that everyone cares about this, when in reality only a handful of people truly do. The vocal minority and all that.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
The corporate apologist/Sony business decision defense force is bizarre on this issue.

What do you as a gamer have to lose on this besides some idea of complete console dominance you claim wouldn't be lost either way?

I get when Sony says it out of some secret fear but gamers parroting the same must mean they share the same fear for some reason. It's not like this is arguing for an open standard across all platforms and crossbuys across all platforms. Sony has all the games and exclusive coming to their platform and MS still sells consoles despite having few exclusives and the ones they have available on PC as well.

What is Sony so scared of?

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest

I don't get it, why want everyone to suffer?.. my daughter and nephew are already back to playing on PS4. They say they can't see everything on the Switch and keep getting killed, lol. Sucks for me they are back on the tv. Dammit!

(mat)

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I just got a new puppy. I brought it over to Paul's house to show him. I want to now take the puppy to Steve's house and show him, but Paul is like, "Nope! The dog stays here now!" and I'm just like, "But... hey...! You don't make the rules for my dog!" and Paul responds, "With over 80 million active users..."

See... Because Paul is Playstation and Steve is Switch... Get it? ...

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

Oh no, honey...

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lol.

Yes cause everyone playing it on PS4 has another platform sitting right there to play it on.

They aren't removing the game from PS4.

Not remove, just pressure to remove. Also everyone has another system to play the game on, everyone has an iphone.. yes I know I know. Just to answer your point. Also Fornite didcated players most likely own more than one system anyway.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That would be a ridiculous thing for them to do though. PS4 is the biggest platform for Fortnite, what would they have to gain from removing it? Some goodwill?
They could instead remove cross play from ps4. Sony pulling bullshit, epic should respond in kind. Let Sony have their little bubble ecosystem. Owners of other platforms can enjoy cross play, cross purchase etc. But not Sony.

Oct 26, 2017
Sony must be scared of setting a precedent here. If they allow progress to follow you across platforms then I imagine other companies will want to integrate their own account system to accomplish the same. Which would actually kinda suck to then be forced to have an Ubisoft account, ea account, activision account, etc to play online. I think cross platform play would be fine, awesome even, but cross progress opens up some madness.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

I don't think it's possible for corporate apologism to surprise me anymore. There is literally nothing people won't defend corporations for doing.

I have to say it makes parody so very hard, though. Quintessential example of Poe's law right there.

danGlokta

Nov 1, 2017
Crossplay isn't the issue people.

SONY IS ESSENTIALLY STEALING PEOPLE'S PURCHASES WITH THIS EPIC ACCOUNT LOCK!!!

Epic Accounts created on PC or a console that are NOT a Sony console that has Fortnite purchases associated with the account and the account is linked to PSN, that account then for all intents and purposes is a Sony locked account, it CANNOT be used on XBox/Switch.
So Sony is the one handling and managing Epics accounts and not Epic? That's news to me.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony fought similar problems last E3... at this point it's old hat

"GOTS MINE... GOOD LUCK EVERYONE ELSE"

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Naw. That'd just make Epic look bad to the customers that are oblivious to this. And there are a lot of them.
Which is why you conveniently didn't quote the part where I said they won't and shouldn't do that. Thanks.

I'm just saying WHY people are suggesting it - it's the biggest way to completely force the issue.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I can't believe there are actually people in here saying they're GLAD Sony did this. Like wtf kind of shill do you have to be to be happy about this shit ?

ImperatorPat

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's absolutely amazing how many still don't get this. Thirty pages here, the mainstream articles, Gerstmann describing it in the Phil Spencer interview yesterday. Nearly every source harps on either the cross play or the fact that you can't take your PS4 progression to Xbox and Switch.

We could have another 30 pages and I guarantee there would still be people mentioning that stuff while being completely oblivious about what basically amounts to outright theft by a multi billion dollar company.

Put the following in the OP and maybe it'll finally get through:

"If you spend hundreds of hours and hundreds of dollars playing Fortnite on Xbox or Switch, and then play a single round on PS4, all of the progression and all of the money you spent on Xbox or Switch is now 100% locked to PS4 — all because you tried out the PS4 version with your Epic account for 5 minutes."
Is what you put in italics actually true? Can you link an Xbox or switch linked epic account to PS4?

I thought this could only occur if your account was only linked to PC or Mobile and then you link to PS4 before linking to Xbox or switch.

And yeah, still lame for people who have spent that money on their account.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
How can Sony even be blocking users on the Switch anyway? Wouldn't there need to be a flag of some sort on the Epic account itself in order for the Service to get blocked? Wouldn't that make it Epic's issue instead?

Regardless, this restriction is bullshit and I'm glad it's getting more attention. Hopefully it leads to a more open PSN.