• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game do you find holds the most replayability?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 36 11.6%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 105 33.8%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 44 14.1%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 93 29.9%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 95 30.5%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
7 weeks until we can play another Masterpiece :)

th

Game's already pre-ordered and ready for pre-loading as soon as it's available.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Annoying how in DS2, every boss is weak to lightning but I can't find a boltstone or a lightning weapon anywhere. Apparently there was an early Heide weapon, but was removed for SofFS.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Annoying how in DS2, every boss is weak to lightning but I can't find a boltstone or a lightning weapon anywhere. Apparently there was an early Heide weapon, but was removed for SofFS.

Doesn't the Blue Sentinels covenant guy in Heide sell Boltstones?

Though I wouldn't bother with infusing a weapon with lightning unless I was running a faith build since they scale with that.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I should focus on getting past that dragon then.

Yeah, he's the guy who sells them.

Lightning weapons are fantastic though. I did a paladin-esque build for my first playthrough, with high strength and faith (think it was 40 str/55fth maybe), who had a lightning grand lance and a great shield of some variety, and used offensive and group support miracles.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Ended up switching from a longsword to a large club. Makes a huge difference against those Heide Knights, woo boy! But then had to switch back for the Old Dragonslayer because the club was way too slow. Unlike Bloodborne and DS3, I think I'll need to be more situational with my weapon choices in this game. No picking the Dark Sword for everything this time around.

I made it to the Blue Sentinel but he doesn't want to talk to me. So I'll have to figure out how to get him to like me.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Ended up switching from a longsword to a large club. Makes a huge difference against those Heide Knights, woo boy! But then had to switch back for the Old Dragonslayer because the club was way too slow. Unlike Bloodborne and DS3, I think I'll need to be more situational with my weapon choices in this game. No picking the Dark Sword for everything this time around.

I made it to the Blue Sentinel but he doesn't want to talk to me. So I'll have to figure out how to get him to like me.

Well, in the meantime, you could engage in some jolly co-operation

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Thanks for the tips all.

I've come to the conclusion that Dark Souls 2 is ... (shock)... good! All the complaints are true, most bosses suck, enemy variety isn't that great, enemies will spot you from a million yards away and follow you to the ends of the earth, but at the same time, it's impressively non-linear, and character customization feels more "important" and this from the other Souls games I've played. I just wish healing from Etsus wasn't so damn slow.

Remember from the above, I still haven't played Demon or DS1. I am playing backwards (Bloodborne -> DS3 -> DS2).

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Thanks for the tips all.

I've come to the conclusion that Dark Souls 2 is ... (shock)... good! All the complaints are true, most bosses suck, enemy variety isn't that great, enemies will spot you from a million yards away and follow you to the ends of the earth, but at the same time, it's impressively non-linear, and character customization feels more "important" and this from the other Souls games I've played. I just wish healing from Etsus wasn't so damn slow.

Remember from the above, I still haven't played Demon or DS1. I am playing backwards (Bloodborne -> DS3 -> DS2).

Of course it's good. B-team whining is hyberbole at best and I thought that had ceased around 2016. It's a bit different than other Souls games but it's still a great game.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the tips all.

3 is probably the worst when it comes to this.

2 is a great game and has the best DLC in the series, IMO. It may not be the best, but it's the one I always have the most fun with.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't like a lot of things but DS2 is probably the only thing I actively dislike, what a terrible game. I really avoid thinking about it.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Thanks for the tips all.

I'm glad you are enjoying it. For all its problems, DS2 is still a very good game.

It's a little bit clunky and a little bit ugly. Having to boost a stat in order for one of you rbasic moves (the roll) not to be ass is Awful with capital A. Soul Memory is such a terrible concept that makes multi-player needlessly difficult as it basically punishes you from playing the game.

But it's also an inventive game with a ton of ideas of how Dark Souls could be expanded upon. It's pretty open ended; it has a huge variety of locales and builds, arguably the best multi-player and a general feel of mystery and melancholy to it that I really like. And the DLC is just superb.

It's weird how DS3 is for the most part a better game, since it's much more polished and refined but it's also kinda safe and samey. DS2 mostly fails to be as good as the other games because of its execution, but the ideas behind it are solid.

And if you think DS2 is non linear, wait until you get to DS1. ;)

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Also pre-ordered. Along with the deluxe Berserk Hardcover that's coming out soon due to its influence. That one I'm not too sure about as I haven't really read any manga so I'm interested to give it a go.

Is manga still the correct term?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Speaking of the Master Key - I've been doing runs without it recently, initially because I wanted to remember how to achieve the same results (early sequence breaking) without it and I think the only difference is you have to kill Butterfly to get to Havel and before that kill either Taurus or Ingward to get to the Parish (and Darkroot). I always get the Cage Key any way, so I regard using the Master Key for Logan as pretty useless and that's the final use for it, it is only a very limited early game item.

Once you get to the Depths you can buy the Master Key and it stays with you through NG cycles. So even on a MK-less run you can have it from the start on NG+.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Just watched the latest episode of Retry from RKG, put me in the mood for souls so I'm considering:

• NG+ of DS2 or
  • First playthrough of NIOH
DS2 is the only game in the franchise that I don't have the platinum trophy for and would love to get it but It's my least favorite of them all. I've heard great things about Nioh and was wondering how easy the plat is in a single playthrough. I'd rather not use a guide so I don't even know if it's possible. Hoping someone could shed some light on this for me.

Thanks.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Just watched the latest episode of Retry from RKG, put me in the mood for souls so I'm considering:

• NG+ of DS2 or
  • First playthrough of NIOH
DS2 is the only game in the franchise that I don't have the platinum trophy for and would love to get it but It's my least favorite of them all. I've heard great things about Nioh and was wondering how easy the plat is in a single playthrough. I'd rather not use a guide so I don't even know if it's possible. Hoping someone could shed some light on this for me.

Thanks.

Nioh is extraordinary and I would wholeheartedly recommend playing it over a game you've already played and that you're not crazy about. I'm a huge fan and if you like the Souls games and want something with more emphasis on combat, there's nothing better than Nioh. It's the game this Gen that I've put the most time into.

And the Platinum is easily achievable in one playthrough. Nioh is structured differently than the Souls games since it's mission based and the missions can be replayed at will. Even after beating the game and unlocking the higher difficulties you can jump back and forth.

I found getting the Platinum for Nioh more enjoyable that any of the Souls games other than Bloodborne. The only tricky trophy is Samurai of Legend, which requires you to beat every mission in the base game. The reason it's tricky is because some of the post game missions are fairly difficult (though you can always summon if you need a hand) and the Twilight missions, which are remixed versions of the regular missions which appear on daily rotation. I was missing one of the twilight missions to get the 100% and I had to wait almost two weeks for it to appear in the rotation. This can be avoided by doing all the daily twilight missions as they become available.

Last edited:

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Nioh is extraordinary and I would wholeheartedly recommend playing it over a game you've already played and that you're not crazy about. I'm a huge fan and if you like the Souls games and want something with more emphasis on combat, there's nothing better than Nioh. It's the game this Gen that I've put the most time into.

And the Platinum is easily achievable in one playthrough. Nioh is structured differently than the Souls games since it's mission based and the missions can be replayed at will. Even after beating the game and unlocking the higher difficulties you can jump back and forth.

I found getting the Platinum for Nioh more enjoyable that any of the Souls games other than Bloodborne. The only tricky trophy is Samurai of Legend, which requires you to beat every mission in the base game. The reason it's tricky is because some of the post game missions are fairly difficult (though you can always summon if you need a hand) and the Twilight missions, which are remixed versions of the regular missions which appear on daily rotation. I was missing one of the twilight missions to get the 100% and I had to wait almost two weeks for it to appear in the rotation. This can be avoided by doing all the daily twilight missions as they become available.
Oh yeah, I remember you talking about that just a bit ago. I think I will give it a go then. I've had it forever but haven't jumped in as I've been trying to finish up some big recent releases (RDR2 and DQXI). I haven't finished Dragon Quest but like I said, I'm in the mood for some souls and haven't played any since DS1 remastered.

Thanks for the reply, you're always quick to help in this community. Much appreciated.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Been playing a mod called Cinders. It's a community overhaul on PVE for Dark Souls 3 that changes up the game completely.

https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/310?tab=files

It adds too much to talk about (alot of cut content, rebalances) but my favorite addition is it brings the Dark Souls 1 poise system in the game, as well as opens up the game to be non linear in a sense (At the start of the game you can warp to not only the High Wall, but also the Undead Settlement, Catacombs, and the Dreg Heap. makes progression a little non linear) Anyone should give it a go.

It kinda sucks the game that needs an overhaul more (Dark Souls 2) aint getting it any time soon :(

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the latest episode of Retry from RKG

Absolutely love those slugs. If anyone hasn't watched it, it's three guys doing playthroughs of mainly Souls games and the way they all bounce off each other is great. I love when Krupa looks to the camera, when he knows exactly what is about to happen. They used to be Prepare to Try on IGN but have now gone the Patreon route. Really worth a watch.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Been playing a mod called Cinders. It's a community overhaul on PVE for Dark Souls 3 that changes up the game completely.

It adds too much to talk about (alot of cut content, rebalances) but my favorite addition is it brings the Dark Souls 1 poise system in the game, as well as opens up the game to be non linear in a sense (At the start of the game you can warp to not only the High Wall, but also the Undead Settlement, Catacombs, and the Dreg Heap. makes progression a little non linear) Anyone should give it a go.

It kinda sucks the game that needs an overhaul more (Dark Souls 2) aint getting it any time soon :(
Sounds great and the non-linear start was desperately needed. I'll watch a YT playthrough since I'm not a PC gamer, but I really like these kind of mods.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That sounds really interes....

IgMyx.gif

I'll probably give it a shot, thx
As an ardent defender of 3 I still hate the poise system and love how they buffed heavy armor ;)

Another great feature is how it makes miracles and magic viable. (FP also now recovers 1 point per second)

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
So is DS2 NG+ notoriously hard or am I just out of touch? I swear this is harder than NG++ in DS1 or DS3. I'm having a hell of a time getting to The Pursuer. I've come across at least 4 red phantoms already.

Also, Nioh is really good. I finished the intro and am working my way up to the mansion in the first village you come to. I just wanted to start up on DS2 while I was feeling it but I don't know if I'll continue.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
So is DS2 NG+ notoriously hard or am I just out of touch? I swear this is harder than NG++ in DS1 or DS3. I'm having a hell of a time getting to The Pursuer. I've come across at least 4 red phantoms already.

Also, Nioh is really good. I finished the intro and am working my way up to the mansion in the first village you come to. I just wanted to start up on DS2 while I was feeling it but I don't know if I'll continue.

Going back to DS2 always feels rough. The deadzone and how sluggish everything feels in general, specially compared to 3.

I'm glad you're enjoying Nioh. You're in for a hell of a ride.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Going back to DS2 always feels rough. The deadzone and how sluggish everything feels in general, specially compared to 3.

I'm glad you're enjoying Nioh. You're in for a hell of a ride.
Yeah, I'm planning on playing a good bit of it tomorrow as I have nothing going on. I do hope the switching between stances becomes easier to manage the more I play, I've also got to stop playing it like a souls game. I keep dying to those red phantom things because I try to attack with my R1 and R2 instead of square and I keep using the wrong button to evade.

Probably doesn't help that I'm playing both it and DS2 at the same time but like I said, I'm probably gonna put DS2 down for a bit longer and focus on Nioh.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Yeah, I'm planning on playing a good bit of it tomorrow as I have nothing going on. I do hope the switching between stances becomes easier to manage the more I play, I've also got to stop playing it like a souls game. I keep dying to those red phantom things because I try to attack with my R1 and R2 instead of square and I keep using the wrong button to evade.

You can change the controls so they are more like Souls, with Attacks on R1 and R2. That's how I play.

Switching stances becomes very natural with practice; in fact there's an unlockable skill called Ki Flux which gives you a Ki Pulse every time you change stances immediately after doing an attack and it makes the combat really flow since you get almost unlimited Ki if you time it right and plan your chain of combos.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
You can change the controls so they are more like Souls, with Attacks on R1 and R2. That's how I play.

Switching stances becomes very natural with practice; in fact there's an unlockable skill called Ki Flux which gives you a Ki Pulse every time you change stances immediately after doing an attack and it makes the combat really flow since you get almost unlimited Ki if you time it right and plan your chain of combos.
Oh cool. I didn't even think about remapping the controls. I'll look into that first thing.

Thanks again.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Btw people don't do like me and play this mod online... you might get softbanned. Oops.... Completely forgot about that stuff and neglected to start in offline mode. >_>

I'm so hungry for Sekiro that I've put Lords of the Fallen in my cart on PSN (It's currently $3).

Tell me it's a bad idea.
For $3? Eh, you should be fine. It's an OK distraction. I'd probably just replay one of the Soulsborne games though... <_<

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I wouldn't recommend The Surge over LotF personally. I thought LotF was very average, but I still finished it, and I couldn't finish The Surge. For $3 vs $50, LotF is a no-brainer.

That said, I would agree with recommending Nioh or Salt and Sanctuary over either of those. Noema already played and loved Nioh though, but I'm not sure about S&S. It's not very pricey, maybe $15-20, and it's an infinitely superior game to LotF. :)

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
That bad, huh?

Yeah, I've played over 200 hours of Nioh. I've heard The Surge is better (than Lord of the Fallen) but that's $50 on PSN.

It's not really better or worse I guess. Just different and both are exceedingly mid-tier games. $3 vs. $50 is a no brainer.

Salt and Sanctuary is a good recommendation.

A bit different but, have you tried out Hollow Knight yet? Highly recommend it.