• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game do you find holds the most replayability?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 36 11.6%
  • Dark Souls

Votes: 105 33.8%
  • Dark Souls II

Votes: 44 14.1%
  • Dark Souls III

Votes: 93 29.9%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 95 30.5%
  • Sekiro

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
Hello SoulsERA....looking for some advice. Playing through DS3 and almost to the Abyss Watchers. I am a warrior focusing on STR and currently have the Butcher Knife +4 (i think) as my weapon. Currently LVL45 and wondering where i should be focusing my levels. Add more vigor or keep going on STR? Any weapons i might want to consider upgrading too? Thanks all

0y1w4pZ.jpg

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Going to start dark souls 3 later today, any suggestions on good PVE builds I should be thinking about? Its my first dark souls game (although I have completed Bloodborne). In BB I liked the faster weapons if that helps

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
The Mercenary class starts with the Sellsword Twinblades. A quick Dexterity (think Skill) weapon, which seems up your alley.

Thanks, I do llike dual swords in games. I was reading a bit yesterday about the stats of the game. Can this class and weapon do bleed as well? I like the idea of maybe trying a bleed build as it seems effective against bosses? Is that still the case? Or is the parry more important in DS compared to BB? I went through most of BB without parrying basically, just used alot of pellets and fire/elec paper!

EasyMode

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Most weapons can be infused with bleed, but there's a damage penalty that's probably not worth it. There's a also a bleed resin (like paper in BB) so you can apply it situationally. I haven;t really used it, so I can't say how effective it is against bosses.

Parrying isn't essential and I'd say it's less important than in BB. Backstabs will be new to you, and they're super effective against a lot of human enemies -- doesn't work on most bosses though.

Last edited:

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, I do llike dual swords in games. I was reading a bit yesterday about the stats of the game. Can this class and weapon do bleed as well? I like the idea of maybe trying a bleed build as it seems effective against bosses? Is that still the case? Or is the parry more important in DS compared to BB? I went through most of BB without parrying basically, just used alot of pellets and fire/elec paper!

Bruv, I have the perfect build in mind for you.

The Warden Twinblades are duel wielded swords that cause bleed, that when combined with bleed resin, can cause extraordinary amounts of bleed damage quickly considering the speed of the weapon. It's perhaps one of the more stupidly powerful builds that can slightly trivialize certain bosses.

In order to best utilize the build, it's good to make it a hollow based build, having 40 dexterity and 40 luck, with the twinblades being infused with hollow.

The luck stat increases hollow damage the more hollow you are as well as bleed build-up speed. The process of becoming hollow, however, is quite the spoiler, but I'm sure you'll accidentally stumble upon in quite early on anyway.

How to become hollow, if interested:
An NPC, Yoel, can be met early in the game in Undead Settlement. Recruiting his service will he follow free leveling. Upon doing this, you gain a dark sigil, which now allows you to hollow and adds a hollow stat to your character. You'll hollow more and more the more you die, up to a stat of 99. The more you hollow, the more times you can level up from Yoel (up to 5). The more hollow you are, the more damage you'll do with hollow-infused weapons.

Keep in mind becoming hollow can have certain effects on your character, and fully utilizing Yoel's services can lead to interesting results.

Getting the weapon requires a bit of farming though, as it's a pretty rare drop from a certain enemy in the game that is scarce in number, so it may try your patience. However, it can be done very early in the game and they're absolutely worth the time farming then to use for the rest of the game.

How to get the weapon:
The weapon is dropped by the Grave Wardens in the Cathedral of the Deep. There are potentially four that can be killed, but only two at a time when trying to viably farm them. You'll know what they look like when you see them. And they won't give the weapon so easily.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Bruv, I have the perfect build in mind for you.

The Warden Twinblades are duel wielded swords that cause bleed, that when combined with bleed resin, can cause extraordinary amounts of bleed damage quickly considering the speed of the weapon. It's perhaps one of the more stupidly powerful builds that can slightly trivialize certain bosses.

In order to best utilize the build, it's good to make it a hollow based build, having 40 dexterity and 40 luck, with the twinblades being infused with hollow.

The luck stat increases hollow damage the more hollow you are as well as bleed build-up speed. The process of becoming hollow, however, is a bit in spoiler territory, but I'm sure you'll accidentally stumble upon in quite early on.

bleed resins were nerfed, while bleed infusions buffed, so if you want the blades for bleed it's better to go with bleed infusions. You can still wear other weapons hollow infused to get the luck stats.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Think I'm going to cosplay as Oscar on my second playthrough. :P

It's a shame you get the gear you need so late...Elite Knight, Shield and Sword, So i'm just going to do this on NG+.

Squid Lord

Nov 28, 2017
So I am now at Smouldering Lake, past the Black Knight on the bridge, and for the first time I've lost my voice screaming obscenities at my TV screen. The two red-eyed skeletons with scythes just up ahead have killed me more times than any boss fight I've encountered so far. WHY. I've already faced a few of them in past areas with some success (maybe they weren't the red-eyed variety I don't know), but these freakin' bastards are giving me fits. My success with Black Knights aren't that great and I need to get past him again and again, if I'm lucky, only to die at the hands of one of those two jerks. :( I need a break.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So I am now at Smouldering Lake, past the Black Knight on the bridge, and for the first time I've lost my voice screaming obscenities at my TV screen. The two red-eyed skeletons with scythes just up ahead have killed me more times than any boss fight I've encountered so far. WHY. I've already faced a few of them in past areas with some success (maybe they weren't the red-eyed variety I don't know), but these freakin' bastards are giving me fits. My success with Black Knights aren't that great and I need to get past him again and again, if I'm lucky, only to die at the hands of one of those two jerks. :( I need a break.

You talking about that area before getting to the ballista? If so then yeah, those mothersfuckers gave me PTSD.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, fuck those skeletons. They cheat like crazy with their double side dashes. "Hard but fair" my ass! One of the only times I really appreciated playing a sorceress was fighting these assholes. Geh.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally started using the Bloodletter on a character that can actually use the damn thing, it's fucking legit. Seems to be my favorite DLC weapon next to the Pizza Cutter. I just hate how it's so late game you can't really plan a run around it.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So, that Maria art came from somewhere after all

Also, Friede is more or less what Maria originally was looking at the cut content from her.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
Been busy so not much Demon's Souls being played lately, but I did get through 4-1 last night. Adjucator was stupid easy, way easier than that goddamn ninja katana skeleton bitch. I was using a Crushing Battle Axe and then I picked up that damn crescent falcion shit and I'm slicing through enemies like butter now. Huge improvement.

Man it is difficult to figure out what builds are good when you aren't using a guide.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I really wish you could change gender with Rosaria, you can already change so much other stuff, why not gender.

Should have picked female from the start but I wanted my Anri to have that adorable voice.

They should patch in gender coffin again.

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish you could change gender with Rosaria, you can already change so much other stuff, why not gender.

Should have picked female from the start but I wanted my Anri to have that adorable voice.

They should patch in gender coffin again.
The voice for female Anri is straight up waifu material. Makes me wish you could get her as a female since I always role a female character in my character creator games.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Man it is difficult to figure out what builds are good when you aren't using a guide.
There isn't really a bad build in these games - you just pick a weapon you like and level up the stats it scales with. Sure there are OP weapons, but there aren't any bad ones really.

Give me a longsword or a rapier over some flashy boss soul weapon any day.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
There isn't really a bad build in these games - you just pick a weapon you like and level up the stats it scales with. Sure there are OP weapons, but there aren't any bad ones really.

Yeah I guess I was so focused on trying to stick with a big heavy weapon that I didn't consider just trying some other stuff out. I don't think I'll stick with the Crescent Falcon thing (apparently it only scales with magic?) so I'll probably keep switching around.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I guess I was so focused on trying to stick with a big heavy weapon that I didn't consider just trying some other stuff out. I don't think I'll stick with the Crescent Falcon thing (apparently it only scales with magic?) so I'll probably keep switching around.
Magic weapons are good in Demons Souls though. Flamelurker is nothing in front of those.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
After finishing DS2 and taking some days off from playing it... I still don't fully know what to make of it.

At 99 hours played I obviously enjoyed it (for the most part). But if you go back and read my game progress updates in this thread, they're full of (valid) complaints. Now, this is mostly a result of the negative bias toward posting reviews on the internet - you're more likely to go on Yelp and bitch about a shitty restaurant than give positive reviews to every decent place you've eaten at - and similarly, I came in here and bitched about all the shit that annoyed me, but I didn't post about every cool moment, or fun fight, or nice vista, etc.

Still, the prime feeling I'm left with is that I really wish it was a better game. Very similar to my feelings about The Last Remnant - I could see the potential for an all-time great game, but it fell short.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've never really used them (or magic at all) in my playthroughs of any of the games. I almost always just build STR/END/DEX and pick a heavy weapon. Maybe I'll just build more jack of all trades this playthrough so I can get a little out of my comfort zone.
I'm actually using like a dex faith magic build thing in DS2 and it seems to be doing the business from what I remember. I should try to cntinue that playthrough. I don't really do a jack of all trades build because it's a bit hobbled.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

Dude, the longsword is awesome, mine is +10 and have yet to switch. I buff that sucker with Dark Blade and it gets 521 attack.

And that is with Sharp infusion +40 Dex and 32 faith. Can't imagine when I get faith to 40.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Again, it's the pacing backwards by the enemy that makes this for me - looks awesome! Do you plan roughly what you're looking for and farm for it or just go through lots of enemies and see what arises?
Most of the gifs I've made for the game just happened during my first playthrough. I played with the HUD disabled 90% of the time and I'm always careful of the camera and my movements, make sure not to be too erratic, although sometimes you can't help yourself xD. There's quite a few that I did have a rough plan what I wanted, for instance when I first fought Lady Maria I was using the saw cleaver, but then I thought it'd be cool if I changed to the Knight Armour set and equipped the Chikage along with the Old Hunter Bone, made for a lot more exciting captures and also made the fight a lot more entertaining. With this particular gif when I switched the Burial Blade it looked so cool and with the charge attack sending enemies flying the plan was to walk towards the enemy, switch to 2 handed mode and then charge attack, the walking back was by chance but luckily he was just close enough for the charge attack to hit. I tried again further down with the wolves but scrapped that footage as couldn't get a nice shot like this one. At some point I will replay the game and make backup saves before each boss, that way I can replay and capture moments I missed first time round, and also I love the boss fights in this game.

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the gifs I've made for the game just happened during my first playthrough. I played with the HUD disabled 90% of the time and I'm always careful of the camera and my movements, make sure not to be too erratic, although sometimes you can't help yourself xD. There's quite a few that I did have a rough plan what I wanted, for instance when I first fought Lady Maria I was using the saw cleaver, but then I thought it'd be cool if I changed to the Knight Armour set and equipped the Chikage along with the Old Hunter Bone, made for a lot more exciting captures and also made the fight a lot more entertaining. With this particular gif when I switched the Burial Blade it looked so cool and with the charge attack sending enemies flying the plan was to walk towards the enemy, switch to 2 handed mode and then charge attack, the walking back was by chance but luckily he was just close enough for the charge attack to hit. I tried again further down with the wolves but scrapped that footage as couldn't get a nice shot like this one. At some point I will replay the game and make backup saves before each boss, that way I can replay and capture moments I missed first time round, and also I love the boss fights in this game.
Do a Pizza Cutter build...or Holy Moonlight Great sword.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017

Cheers - really interesting to hear how you go about it!

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Loved Bloodborne and really really liked Dark 1 and 2, starting Dark 3 finally (waited for all the DLC and all) and there are two things I reallllly don't like so far. One is that equip load is so minor, the fact that there's basically no difference between 31% and 69% just seems silly, and even the difference of going under 30 seems minor. I also think It's cool that the starting enemies can randomly get possessed or whatever, but they have way way too much health. I know the goal is to kill them before they can transform but if you don't do that you may as well just start walking back to the bonfire right away.

I also don't like how you have to warp back to Firelink Shrine to level up ala Dark 2 and Bloodborne.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
The "possessions" aren't random. It's always only the same enemies that can do that.

Warping back to firelink is important as lots of NPCs show up, so you need to come back regularly to advance their quests.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Hey SoulsEra,

I recently bought Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin for the PS4. I'm wondering if I can save this game to my online storage and play it on another PS4. I have to go back to University within two weeks and I wil never be able to finish it before I return.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The "possessions" aren't random. It's always only the same enemies that can do that.

Warping back to firelink is important as lots of NPCs show up, so you need to come back regularly to advance their quests.
Yeah I figured it's the same guys, I just meant initially it feels like a random surprise is all. It's just annoying because like I said if you don't manage to kill them in time you're better off just running away since they have a stupid amount of health.

GooseTeeth

Oct 27, 2017
Started a replay of DS1 just because I'm so excited for the remaster and cant wait. I've been cruising through the game pretty easily and then i got to Sen's fortress. What a kick in the fucking balls that place is. After spending an afternoon there i finally got past it and then I remembered the arrow dudes in anor londo. Got past them on my second try though. I think the most frustrating part of Sen's fort was only remembering like half the traps, so I'd be fine and dodge stuff because i remembered it was there and then get completely caught off guard by something else.