Other than the inevitable Splatoon 4, what do you wanna see Splatoon do next?

• Spinoff like a turn based strategy game or musou

Votes: 164 17.3%
  • Spinoff like a grand scale single player only game similar to Mario Odyssey or Mario Galaxy

Votes: 630 66.5%
  • Collaborations (Splatoon X whatever franchise)

Votes: 154 16.2%

• Total voters

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know a good lore video of Splatoon 1 and 2? I never finished the single player in those games, but want to play through S3's story, and want to get a nice recap.
The lore honestly doesn't go that deep in 1 and 2. A lot of it comes from the sunken scrolls you can just look up on the wiki. But basically:

Splatoon is set in the distant future after disaster befell the Earth and humanity went extinct. Sea life evolved and took over the land. Inklings and Octolings were once at peace but began to fight over turf. Captain Cuttlefish led the squidbeak Splatoon along with Sheldon's grandfather to defeat Octavio and drove the Octarians to live underground. Eventually Inklings forgot about the Octarians and began engaging in turf wars as a sport.

Callie and Marie are cousins and Cuttlefish's granddaughters. They became famous idols (Squid Sisters) after winning a county contest singing an ancient folk song (Calimari Inkantation). They assist Cuttlefish in keeping tabs on the Octarians as Agents 1 and 2.

Judd is a genetically modified cat created by a scientist and frozen in a capsule that awoke in the future.

Splatfests are created by a fax machine that mysteriously periodically prints a fax with a theme.

In Splatoon 1 Octavio steals the zapfish and Cuttlefish recruits the player as agent 3. Agent 3 fights their way to Octavio and gets the zapfish back. During the final boss Callie and Marie sing Calamari Inkantation and unseen in Splatoon 1 this causes some Octolings to overcome their brainwashing. 1 such Octoling was Marina, who was a head weapons designer for Octavio.

Some time between 1 and 2 Marina travels to Inkopolis and is discovered by Pearl, a washed-up punk rock star. Pearl recognizes Marina's talent and she asks her to join her in forming the idol group Off The Hook. A smaller clone of Judd created to be his companion is discovered.

Callie and Marie pursue solo gigs and Callie ends up getting brainwashed by Octavio and becomes his vocalist. Marie recruits the player of S2 as Agent 4 to rescue Callie. Sheldon backs them up but he turns down an offer to become an official agent because he doesn't feel worthy.

Grizzco opens business and employs inklings to gather salmonid eggs.

Agent 3 battles an Octoling in the deep sea metro and gets defeated. The Octoling looses their memories in the fight and meets Cuttlefish, who is looking for agent 3. The Octoling becomes agent 8 and they board a subway train looking for a way to Inkopolis. Commander Tartar, a voice on the other end of an old phone at the central station, offers to help them if they complete a series of tests. After completing the tests Tartar reveals he is an AI created by the scientist that created Judd. He was supposed to oversee life after humanity but he considers Inklings to be unworthy due to their preoccupation with fashion and turf wars. Tartar has been testing sea creatures in the metro to find good DNA to create an ooze that will eradicate life on Earth and replace it. Agent 3 appears and rescues 8 and Cuttlefish from a giant blender but gets captured by Tartar and brainwashed into fighting 8. Agent 8 beats 3 and reaches the surface where Tartar is about to fire the DNA at Inkopolis. Agent 8 along with Pearl and Marina who have been chatting with Cuttlefish online stop Tartar. Octolings begin reaching the surface and integrate with Inklings.

Pearl and Marina have a final splatfest of chaos vs order. Chaos won.

That's pretty much all the important lore up to 3. 3 adds more to the Grizzco story and the origins of the Inklings, Octolings, and Salmonids.

Last edited:

Elster

Jun 6, 2021
if i booyah and the rest of the team is completely silent i know that match/salmon run is going to be actual shit.
Legitimately 99% of the time this happens i have a group that refuses to even pretend teamwork exists.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Woof the servers are a MESS today. Have had very little problem outside of MAYBE the first day a couple times. Disconnects over and over. Had an Open Match where half the players DC'd and it was a 2v2 for almost 2 minutes.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
This was even dumber cuz it was mako mart clam blitz. It took them more time to super jump to our goal than it would have to just launch themselves.

Yep, sounds about right!

if i booyah and the rest of the team is completely silent i know that match/salmon run is going to be actual shit.
Legitimately 99% of the time this happens i have a group that refuses to even pretend teamwork exists.

I am the same way, major side eye if no one booyahs right at the beginning or booyahs back at mine lol

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
As someone who played quite a bit of Splatoon 2 the first 9 or so months it was out, then hasn't played anything since… this game is largely the same. Like same weapons, same maps, same outfits, same bosses in Salmon Run.. kinda disappointed. The campaign is fun and new at least.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
glad its not just me and my friends! I know people joke about booyahing back but its little things like that, that show that you are a team player to me.

Oh definitely, I know I'm usually in trouble if I get the silent treatment and usually that hunch is right at least in Turf War lol

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
glad its not just me and my friends! I know people joke about booyahing back but its little things like that, that show that you are a team player to me.

Oh no, I don't booyah at the start. But I am a team player (I will do my best to place tacticooler in a good spot for everyone!) so I will start doing it now.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who played quite a bit of Splatoon 2 the first 9 or so months it was out, then hasn't played anything since… this game is largely the same. Like same weapons, same maps, same outfits, same bosses in Salmon Run.. kinda disappointed. The campaign is fun and new at least.
The weapon kits are changed and the special balance is significantly improved. Also new weapons.

Only 4/12 maps were in S2.

Lots of new gear.

There are new boss salmonids and the ability to throw eggs is a huge change.

Elster

Jun 6, 2021
Oh no, I don't booyah at the start. But I am a team player (I will do my best to place tacticooler in a good spot for everyone!) so I will start doing it now.
hehe even if you didn't booyah back I'd notice if you placed your tacticooler well and stuff! It's sort of an old splatoon culture thing? it shows you are in a good mood and ready to work together! "always booyah back" its kinda an old meme in the community i think!

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I wouldn't take it that way. I have been playing Splatoon for years and the only time I Booyah is at the end of a match if we are clearly going to win.

But I am absolutely a team player, I always try check where on the map we need help and if a player super jumps to me I try my best to hold my position so they don't die when they land

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
hehe even if you didn't booyah back I'd notice if you placed your tacticooler well and stuff! It's sort of an old splatoon culture thing? it shows you are in a good mood and ready to work together! "always booyah back" its kinda an old meme in the community i think!

Yeah mostly just a meme lol

As long as we WIN

:P

Elster

Jun 6, 2021

god lmao I had something similar happen this morning :( rip to my funny ripples.
I thought the wavebreaker would be kinda weak but I really like it, it catches people off guard a surprising amount because they either have to retreat, take damage or expose themselves by jumping, its neat!

I've also really enjoyed being the tacticooler too, i feel like I am wearing a whole other set of gear while the drink is active its wild.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
I just had a hell of a Rank Up match and I just had to share this last minute Tower Control save I helped make happen lmao

View: https://twitter.com/YellowBara/status/1570199567718809600?s=20&t=4d-R35_NevBfdQc3J1kyzQ

Ink Vac is so nasty in Tower Control (and honestly, most ranked modes). Really need to find a weapon with it that jives with my playstyles.
EDIT: Oh yeah, totally gonna crack out the Jet Squelcher once I reach level 15 and cause headaches with it and the Angle Shooter.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
god lmao I had something similar happen this morning :( rip to my funny ripples.
I thought the wavebreaker would be kinda weak but I really like it, it catches people off guard a surprising amount because they either have to retreat, take damage or expose themselves by jumping, its neat!

I've also really enjoyed being the tacticooler too, i feel like I am wearing a whole other set of gear while the drink is active its wild.
As a Custom Dualie Squelcher main in 2 I was worried about replacing inkstorm with wavebreaker but I think it's an improvement. Wavebreaker doesn't clear an area by itself as effectively as inkstorm, but it does so much. It can make enemies retreat. If they stay they are forced to stay out of ink cover or take damage. It tags players it hits making it possible to track them if they hide. they have to jump reducing their accuracy. If they try to shoot it they aren't shooting you.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm quitting playing Slosher. It makes me so sad, it was my favorite weapon in the first Splatoon. But I think with its poor TTK, the extra movement abilities in this game, and its rather passive zoning kit, it's too inconsistent in one-on-one skirmishes. 😕

Maybe I'll start playing Splatlings more earnestly in this game. I play the anchor role as Explosher pretty well, I could see myself getting into Heavy Splatling.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Back in my day, Booyah was saved for spamming and it meant you were dead 👴

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tons of booyas in my last few runs, and wouldn't you know it, tons of great teamwork as well. Covering with cannons, passing the eggs, "this way!" on boss spawns, good times.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Heads up, there is an Aloha Shirt on the SplatNet Shop that has Ninja Squid!!! Only 2 sub slots though, but you can rank it up and add a third slot later.

There's also a Jacket that has Ink Resistance and 3 sub slots.

NoobSauceG7

Feb 7, 2022
The lore honestly doesn't go that deep in 1 and 2. A lot of it comes from the sunken scrolls you can just look up on the wiki. But basically:

Splatoon is set in the distant future after disaster befell the Earth and humanity went extinct. Sea life evolved and took over the land. Inklings and Octolings were once at peace but began to fight over turf. Captain Cuttlefish led the squidbeak Splatoon along with Sheldon's grandfather to defeat Octavio and drove the Octarians to live underground. Eventually Inklings forgot about the Octarians and began engaging in turf wars as a sport.

Callie and Marie are cousins and Cuttlefish's granddaughters. They became famous idols (Squid Sisters) after winning a county contest singing an ancient folk song (Calimari Inkantation). They assist Cuttlefish in keeping tabs on the Octarians as Agents 1 and 2.

Judd is a genetically modified cat created by a scientist and frozen in a capsule that awoke in the future.

Splatfests are created by a fax machine that mysteriously periodically prints a fax with a theme.

In Splatoon 1 Octavio steals the zapfish and Cuttlefish recruits the player as agent 3. Agent 3 fights their way to Octavio and gets the zapfish back. During the final boss Callie and Marie sing Calamari Inkantation and unseen in Splatoon 1 this causes some Octolings to overcome their brainwashing. 1 such Octoling was Marina, who was a head weapons designer for Octavio.

Some time between 1 and 2 Marina travels to Inkopolis and is discovered by Pearl, a washed-up punk rock star. Pearl recognizes Marina's talent and she asks her to join her in forming the idol group Off The Hook. A smaller clone of Judd created to be his companion is discovered.

Callie and Marie pursue solo gigs and Callie ends up getting brainwashed by Octavio and becomes his vocalist. Marie recruits the player of S2 as Agent 4 to rescue Callie. Sheldon backs them up but he turns down an offer to become an official agent because he doesn't feel worthy.

Grizzco opens business and employs inklings to gather salmonid eggs.

Agent 3 battles an Octoling in the deep sea metro and gets defeated. The Octoling looses their memories in the fight and meets Cuttlefish, who is looking for agent 3. The Octoling becomes agent 8 and they board a subway train looking for a way to Inkopolis. Commander Tartar, a voice on the other end of an old phone at the central station, offers to help them if they complete a series of tests. After completing the tests Tartar reveals he is an AI created by the scientist that created Judd. He was supposed to oversee life after humanity but he considers Inklings to be unworthy due to their preoccupation with fashion and turf wars. Tartar has been testing sea creatures in the metro to find good DNA to create an ooze that will eradicate life on Earth and replace it. Agent 3 appears and rescues 8 and Cuttlefish from a giant blender but gets captured by Tartar and brainwashed into fighting 8. Agent 8 beats 3 and reaches the surface where Tartar is about to fire the DNA at Inkopolis. Agent 8 along with Pearl and Marina who have been chatting with Cuttlefish online stop Tartar. Octolings begin reaching the surface and integrate with Inklings.

Pearl and Marina have a final splatfest of chaos vs order. Chaos won.

That's pretty much all the important lore up to 3. 3 adds more to the Grizzco story and the origins of the Inklings, Octolings, and Salmonids.
Wow, thank you for the very thorough summary! Really appreciate it!

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
if you're not 'this waying' when boss salmonids spawn i dont know what to tell you. that shit is useful information

Corthier

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New England, USA
Did figure out that this game hates my brother and I playing on the same connection in Salmon Run. It'd drop us in the last round without fail on the first try. Its only one run that it takes for that to disconnect one of us but if we play in Turf War, it lasts a long while before dropping us in only matchmaking. Gonna look at port stuff to see if it can fix it.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
two part q
a) how do i see replays or get replay codes?

b) any advice on tableturf deck building? I have no idea how to see what's good or not

Goob_Alert

Aug 28, 2022
two part q
a) how do i see replays or get replay codes?

b) any advice on tableturf deck building? I have no idea how to see what's good or not
a) the panel with all the do-dads in the lobby by the elevator thing. You get codes by uploading a specific replay. You can see the codes on replays you uploaded again on the app.
b) Numberfox went into detail a few pages back.

Last edited:
Era member Numberfox explains Tableturf in detail! Check it out so you can become a expert duelist!

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Here's my past posts on Tableturf:
Here's what I ended up on specifically for Harmony to get my 30 wins on level 3. Judd's map is smaller so your total block count should probably be a tad smaller, but you can copy the general idea of mainly using straight cards to cut off Judd from turf.

493-CA7-E0-0-D3-E-4-D3-D-BFEC-A2654-A81-E731.jpg

No prob, love talking about this card game. Literally made that screenshot earlier because folks on Reddit were asking for my deck list after explaining that 30 wins got you an NPC's card sleeve.

I guess to add on to that for the "card combos" you were asking for since I apparently saved a bunch of replays when fighting Harmony. First replay is about how the cards are very well-situated for chaining a bunch of special points with the splat bomb specifically, or other similarly small straight cards. The majority of the cards are strictly straight lines with little in the way of diagonals, allowing you to better position them to be in the perfect spots to be completely filled by a well-placed Splat Bomb. This one in particular was basically overkill on the combo I made, generating 5 special points with a single card, but it demonstrates the basic idea of what you should be aiming for towards the endgame in order to end with special points for a powerful special.

View: https://twitter.com/DerpyVivi/status/1569810905214627841?s=20&t=__EaZ9CmFpGr4pU2DZT8nA

Next up is the use of Stinger, or any similarly long card like the Splatanas or the Splat Charger, to both cut off the opponent and keep your ink on their turf. They all have good distance while still being an aggressively low block count, allowing you to win direct confrontations and keep the area in your favor. In this replay, Stringer managed to both completely seal off the area from Harmony, while still keeping some ink on the her side, allowing me to claim more of her turf on the following turns.

View: https://twitter.com/DerpyVivi/status/1569813024634183680?s=20&t=-3VN0fJojbxFvyijTFNaAg

Finally, here's a two parter from the same match, focusing on both the Splatana Wiper, or similar two-special small cards and ending on special cards, which are all the cards named after specials (Inkjet, Tacticooler, Wavebreaker, etc.) that all have great point to block ratio (only 3 special points for 12 blocks) at the cost of having no special point themselves. In the first replay, Harmony managed to cut me off pretty well, so I was forced to use a special to break through her turf. Because she was convinced that area was safe for that turn, she focused on the left area of the map which was still contested by me, allowing me to start placing cards in her top turf area.

View: https://twitter.com/DerpyVivi/status/1569816814301106177?s=20&t=3JBIyQCRHwedaolUGNno3g

She still had the advantage in overall blocks at this point of the match up until the end, but this move kept me in a competitive spot to overtake her on the final turn. She was up 84 to 72, but because I had saved up 3 special points for the final turn, I could unleash inkjet for a potential 24 block swing towards the end, which I knew she couldn't counter because she went into the final turn with only 1 special point, resulting in a win for me with 83 to 75. So the general flow of the endgame is to find a way to guarantee 3 special points by the last turn with your special in hand, even if that involves passing a turn which will result in passively generating a special point. Keep in mind you can only use a special from a special point block, so position some cards in a way that their special point is directly next to enemy turf.

View: https://twitter.com/DerpyVivi/status/1569817197295595520?s=20&t=3JBIyQCRHwedaolUGNno3g

Been playing more Tableturf, and I'd like to bring attention to two really good one-off cards to add to your Tableturf deck, the Blaster and Range Blaster regardless of strategy for every map aside from Double Gemini (6 out of 7).
2-EEA43-FE-D91-E-45-F6-9399-98-D13-E712-D06.jpg

The starter deck has the Blaster, so everyone has at least one of them. The cards are relatively straight, so can contribute to straight line strategies, have aggressively low block counts for decent direct combat potential, has a small diagonal, allowing you to take advantage of diagonal opportunities without getting in the way of an overall straight line game plan, but most importantly, these are the only two cards capable of generating a special point on any straight map without any assistance. Almost no other card can generate a special point immediately on turn 1, and only the Blasters can as effortlessly generate a special point on demand as long as you plan for it. Here's examples of the Blaster instantly generating a special point if you get it in your opening hand for every map aside from Double Gemini (which uses diagonal edges instead of straight ones).

Tableturf-specific rewards are new maps to play on and personal card sleeves from beating named NPCs 30 times on level 3. Outside Tableturf, you can unlock banners/badges/a title for your splashtag, a locker decoration/sticker, and an emote for after victories in PvP/Salmon Run. There may be additional stuff past that, but nobody's gone high enough to really say at this point. There'll eventually be an update that unlocks PvP later down the line as well, which could be fun, especially if it has stuff like Ranked or additional rewards, maybe even contribute to the catalog since it's an online activity.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
finally had the weird mudmouth glitch today. well, the glitch where it would just vanish into thin air, and you'd see everyone's bombs fly through where it just was.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
It would be really fuckin useful if it told me if the connection error is on my side or not. Then at least I could fucking troubleshoot

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
It would be really fuckin useful if it told me if the connection error is on my side or not. Then at least I could fucking troubleshoot

I really makes me wonder, like Schroeder's disconnect lol

Like I'll see someone post saying they're getting a ton of disconnects but then I go on to have like 10 uninterrupted matches no problem.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Also, why is the game like "I will pair the four short range weapons together and put the sniper and the hydra on the other team together" like surely it should be taking weapon composition into account right

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
How do I use Reef-lux in Salmon? I feel more useless than an inkbrush worker.

Mash to ink turf crazy quick, focus on airborne enemies that are hard for others to reach, provide support with mobs. Mashing is also surprisingly effective against the little mobs if they all gang up on you. I do well with it when I'm helping other weapons avoid getting stuck in ink without any way out. Jump shots are good for inking the pillars that show up especially since they are vertical shots.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
holy shit yes the hydra splatling kit is great for splat zones. maybe a bit less for tower control but not bad! incredible support loadout

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This....this is a good weapon set for Salmons

I'm going to make up for failing to kill any Kings last shift!

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
oh wow i like the explosher a lot. it's what i wanted the blasters to be. so good, though i'm not great with it yet it's really fun. finally found something i like quite a bit outside of shooters, and i also have gotten into the rapid firing shorter range shooters since i'm quicker at aiming now. god i've put nearly 30 hours into this in a week