• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone sum what is supposed to happen in Ragnarok? Also I'm super confused on the aesir and vanir gods. Are Thor and Odin Aesir gods? And Freya is a vanir god?

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Use light arrows to weaken Valks. Imo Tempest and River of Knives is probably the best runes to use along with Wolf summons. Forget the names for CB but the first rune with the shield bash and heavy is the one where he shoots a fire shockwave.

Also rage talisman is op for all Valks except Sigrun.
Thanks. I am actually done with all 8, The Muspheilm one being the hardest since I also had to do the Arena's, but made it through her as well.

With that said I on the Queen now and she is kicking my ass even though I see most if not all of her moves. I got her down to about a 1/3rd left, so pretty sure I got her, just will take awhile.

Thanks for the help though, ironically I am using most of what you suggest minus the Rage Talisman, I do not have it. I may need to go get some resources to craft some shit.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
So I just beat the game and my first response was...... that's it?!?!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the game, but I was expecting a good amount of main story left.

I'm talking Asgard, possibly Vanaheim with its connection to Freya. A boss fight with Thor and Odin as well.

When the credits started rolling after you spread the ashes, I was definitely caught off guard.
Do you really think Kratos would fight Thor and Odin right in the first game?Also go home.

May 10, 2018
They weren't gonna blow their wad on the first game!
True. Kratos didn't take down the Greek Pantheon in one game. Still the main story didn't feel that long to me. I would have beaten it a lot sooner if I wasn't messing around with side stuff.

Edit: I know about the ending when you go home. Like I said, it just felt short to me is all.

Last edited:

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yup! They've laid out so many hints, not just for this game but for the sequels as well. It's really fun finding out about them.

It makes me wonder how things will go then. Kratos really seems to have messed up the timeline somehow and now with this, it's almost a certainty that he'll kill Thor in the sequel, This will prevent Thor from reaching Ragnarök, just like his sons.
Going along this line I hope there isn't some butterfly effect or donnie darko like ending where kratos realizes he needs to die in the past so the events of ragnarok happen as they should, like his very presence in midgard led to strange events like Freya casting that enchantment upon baldur which drove him insane.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the game and I am so happy I was fed fake spoilers beforehand.
First one was that Arteus is actually son of Odin and not Kratos' and second was that Kratos dies.
I know at the end Kratos death is foreshadowed but I still think long ways from that and there is more tot hat.

Anyway the biggest twist was definitely Arteus being Loki, I did not see that coming and it raises trillion questions especially as far as Thor goes.

Arteus getting Gungnir as he gets older would be dope.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just beat the game and my first response was...... that's it?!?!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the game, but I was expecting a good amount of main story left.

I'm talking Asgard, possibly Vanaheim with its connection to Freya. A boss fight with Thor and Odin as well.

When the credits started rolling after you spread the ashes, I was definitely caught off guard.
Considering Thor and Odin are the strongest Gods in this land, what would killing them leave for the sequels? There's too much left to set up for the story before we finally get to Asgard, honestly. We haven't even seen Faye. I've never been a fan of quantity over quality. Let the world be built.

Did you go home yet?

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else nervous when Baldur was trying to take us to Asgard? "The entire might of Asgard is about too reign down on you!" Shit had me extremely nervous.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Also when Arteus goes full edge, I gues it was not just rebellious age?
Something definitely was up with that.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Are some of the realms supposed to be unavailable? I think I've heard there might not be dlc but it would be weird just having realms we could never go to.
Asgard, Vanaheim and Svartalfheim/Nidavellir are locked off for story reasons. We'll probably see those in upcoming games, and I've got a feeling Muspelheim and Hel will be elaborated on as well considering their role in Ragnarok.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Are some of the realms supposed to be unavailable? I think I've heard there might not be dlc but it would be weird just having realms we could never go to.

Asgard and Vanaheim being closed off makes perfect sense within the story and lore. Odin deliberately sealed access to the home worlds of the Aesir and Vanir gods. He obviously doesn't want any uninvited guests there and he doesn't want Freya to ever return home. Apart from those realms there is only Svartalheim missing. It would've actually been fitting to travel there, because it is the homeland of Sindri, Brok, Ivaldi and all dwarves. Maybe they felt it was just too much content and/or they ran out of time.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
True. Kratos didn't take down the Greek Pantheon in one game. Still the main story didn't feel that long to me. I would have beaten it a lot sooner if I wasn't messing around with side stuff.

Edit: I know about the ending when you go home. Like I said, it just felt short to me is all.
This God of War is SIGNIFICANTLY longer than all the previous God of Wars.
You can't be disappointed with this length and be satisfied with the other 3's length.

And like someone else mentioned, you kill only 1 god in GoW 1. You don't go on a god rampage until GoW 3, which was several years later.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
GBcWCiA.gif

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
Going along this line I hope there isn't some butterfly effect or donnie darko like ending where kratos realizes he needs to die in the past so the events of ragnarok happen as they should, like his very presence in midgard led to strange events like Freya casting that enchantment upon baldur which drove him insane.

Freya making Baldur unkillable is actually part of the original Norse mythology. The differences from the game is that Freya and Frigg are two separate gods, and instead of casting a spell, she makes all lthings on earth promise her to not harm Baldur. The only thing to not make the promise was mistletoe. Loki finds this out and uses it to get Baldur killed. One of the Aesir's favorite games was to try and kill Baldur with any random object. One time Loki slips some mistletoe to one of the other Aesir and then kills Baldur.

It was very clever how Sindhi gave Atreus mistletoe arrows, and then later on Freya is "Aw hell no!" And takes them away.

Last edited:

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
What was on the panel in Jotunheim that is covered by the curtain? I couldn't interpret it and Kratos said nothing.

I'm sad we didn't at least see Thor or Odin. Now we have to wait for another game to see what happens!!

Edit: nvm I went home. Thor looks cool!

Freya making Baldur unkillable is actually part of the original Norse mythology. The differences from the game is that Freya and Frigg are two separate gods, and instead of casting a spell, she makes all lthings on earth promise her to not harm Baldur. The only thing to not make the promise was mistletoe. Loki finds this out and uses it to get Baldur killed. One of the Aesir's favorite games was to try and kill Baldur with any random object. One time Loki slips some mistletoe to one of the other Aesir and then kills Baldur.

It was very clever how Sindhi gave Atreus mistletoe arrows, and then later on Freya is "Aw hell no!" And takes them away.

Who was Sindhi again? The Brok's brother? I don't remember why he gave him the mistletoe again?

Last edited:

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
What was on the panel in Jotunheim that is covered by the curtain? I couldn't interpret it and Kratos said nothing.

I'm sad we didn't at least see Thor or Odin. Now we have to wait for another game to see what happens!!

Edit: nvm I went home. Thor looks cool!

Who was Sindhi again? The Brok's brother? I don't remember why he gave him the mistletoe again?
Your guess is as good as anyone's.

There's a picture of the whole panel online that shows the next picture after the one Kratos saw. It depicts Atreus walking alone with a pack of wolves. It is assumed that in that panel Kratos sees, he is dead. However the character is missing the ash skin, red tatts, and other defining traits of Kratos. I'm guessing he is somehow forgiven of his past sins and loses those curse marks before he dies.

Sindri is Broks brother and he gives the arrows for saving his life from the dragon. The kid is unimpressed by them so he also gives us shock arrows.

Cap10Deku

Dec 2, 2017
Seattle, Wa
I can't help but wonder who blew the horn while Kratos was bringing Atreus back to Freya. My immediate thought goes to time travel and we will be the ones doing that in some point in the next game, but just seemed a super random thing at the time.

Either way can't wait for more. All the little "teasers" spread throughout the game that we haven't seen yet but shown (all the other destinations there were blocked by Odin) and then the teasing of Valkyrie Freya is just toooo good!

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
I personally hope it wasn't time travel. Sounds interesting but so many games get too convoluted when time travel is introduced. If they do throw it in, I hope it's light and used sparsely.

I hope it was Heimdall that called the snake

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I personally hope it wasn't time travel. Sounds interesting but so many games get too convoluted when time travel is introduced. If they do throw it in, I hope it's light and used sparsely.

I hope it was Heimdall that called the snake

But the only people who knows the language that the snake speaks are Mimir and Atreus which feeds into the time travel theory.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Gaia (Linda Hunt) was an an epic and spectatcular narrator in the previous games and now Mimir (Alastair Duncan) is an awkward and sneerer narrator and a great concept in the game iself. What narrator could they bring in the next GOW games in other civilizations? Some little dragon acolyte like Mushu (Mulan) when going to Japanese mythology? I can't imagine any GOW without an interesting narrator and lore teller.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
That final panel leads me to believe that Kratos does indeed die, but Atreus sacrifices himself to revive him.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat it and wow, amazing. A lot of questions but either way it was amazing. These future games will be glorious.

Kratos will die but probably in the last game and if not the last game he'll be revived in the game after the one where he dies.

And man I like the idea of Mimir with Kratos and Atreus in future games. Maybe they'll find a way to free his body so that there's some three person combat going on. If not maybe Mimir will be the strategist while you and Atreus do battle. He'll provide tactics, hints, stuff like that to help out.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So in the next game, do you guys think theres going to be some type of war going on? Between all the realms Tyr was visiting joining together against Asgard?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

https://www.reddit.com/r/GodofWar/comments/8hu2ie/tyrspoiler/

But also more importantly. The Lake of the Nine is a location where Tyr reigns. His statue and temple were built in it to show his importance there.
There is an art showing Tyr riding a snake and wilding a spear. This is mostly the world snake. It seems Tyr and the snake are buddies and they both worked together in battles. The statue and the area condition was not the result of natural disasters but also a fierce battle happened there which led to the mysterious disappearance of Tyr. The battle is mostly Tyr + the world serpent (again after being thrown back in time) against the Thor of this timeline. And both Tyr and Thor statues depict it. The snake kept living in that location and growing bigger. This explains why he is there in the first place and how much he was heinous against Thor that led him to destroy his statue. The temple is also ornated by snake snake decorations. Also the Tyr's statue has an inscription ordering Kratos to throw his weapon into the lake. This led the snake to swallow it, summoning him and imbuing the axe with Eitr, the substance that may kill Thor in the future.
All of this gives no doubt that everything was orchestrated by Tyr. There is also a mural at the entrance there showing Tyr blowing the horn. It seems that Tyr plotted a reserve plan in case things don't go well with him. Hence he devoted his buddy snake to help both Kratos and Atreus and even gave them access to his vault to witness his deeds and get inspiration from him.

Tyr called the snake or you THINK Tyr called the snake?

I'm going to need receipts beyond statues of guys blowing horns level speculation.

There were speculations before but those evidences give no doubt anymore.

Last edited:

-PyramidSong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I didn't know it but in the first fight with Baldur, Kratos crushes him with a wall that predict the final fight with him. Maybe this was posted before but is new to me.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I think SSM should be able to bring on the sequel in two years...my bet is the sequel is in development for ps4 and the reason why there are no DLCs.
I mean they have roadmapped everything, they have the engine, all realms we visited have still a lot of potential and are visually finished.
The reimagination/redirectional work has been done, now they have the tools deliver much quicker.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know it but in the first fight with Baldur, Kratos crushes him with a wall that predict the final fight with him. Maybe this was posted before but is new to me.
Yeah Cory mentioned it in one of the spoilercasts and he said the home doors has scripts on them that talk about late game events. Also inside the light of Alfheim, Kratos walk in Jotunheim and Hellheim which are the late game locations.