Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh, that's what you're referring to. I was thinking of that too, although I didn't make the connection that that's a hint that God of War Jötnar can shapeshift. Good point. It could just be a Loki thing, though, since if I recall correctly, he was particularly adept at shapeshifting even among his kind.

On the topic of Norse mythology's Giants, it's cool to think how many abilities their kind has. They've got shapeshifting, prophecy and foresight, and illusion-making. That's only from the stories I've read too, so for all I know they've done other things too. The gods obviously have more incredible powers, but there's something about it coming from a completely different, non-divine race.

Yeah the shape shifting angle is the one that makes most sense to me, and to be honest this is nothing new for God of War- remember Cronos and Rhea from God of War 2? Here's a reminder.

Being of the same race and being brother-sister and also husband-life no less, its clear that these beings can shapeshift or at the very least change their sizes at will.

Cleardata

Nov 1, 2017
Oh right... I forgot about the mead thing. That was so fucking awful, Jesus. I don't even wanna imagine how much worse this God of War version's gonna be.

There are clues in God of War that point to Odin having been the one that plotted for travel throughout the nine realms to be shut down. There are scrolls that make mention that the World Serpent was considered an inconvenience, but also fortuitous because he flooded the temple. It's also hinted at that the war between the Dark Elves and Light Elves worked in Odin's favor somehow as they were preoccupied. The most nefarious plot that I could see was when Sigrun told Kratos that Odin had cast a corrupting magic on his own Valkyries, thereby destabilizing the entirety of Midgard by stopping the shepherding of the warrior dead to Valhalla and overflowing Helheim, this leading to the desolation and other apocalyptic occurrences in Midgard and other realms. A scroll even details how the dwarves gave control over travel to Svartelheim to Asgard in exchange for protection against the effects of the desolation. An event triggered by Odin himself if you follow Sigrun's narrative for why she sealed herself and her sisters away.

This isn't even touching on what Odin and the other gods wanted with Atreus. Though with Odin's tyrannical desire for all sources of knowledge and prophecy the son of a gifted seer like Faye would be valuable indeed. It's just weird that Modi, I think it was him at least, mentioned something about Atreus being his new little brother. Did that mean the gods had some sort of plan to bring Atreus over to their side?

Suffice it to say, Odin acts like a true dictator. Authoritarian and fearful to guard his own power and influence.

Last edited:

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Playing through the game a second time on hard, I'm pretty confident in saying that GOW is has the best 'melee combat' of any Western developed game, ever

Agree? Disagree?

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017

Nothing better in games than throwing something off a cliff. I threw dozens of corpses off of ledges in MGS Ground Zeros

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing through the game a second time on hard, I'm pretty confident in saying that GOW is has the best 'melee combat' of any Western developed game, ever

Agree? Disagree?
I played through on hard and then hardest. 100% agree except for me it also has the most satisfying combat I've experienced this gen up there with Bloodborne. Everything just flows amazingly well and every hit has that impact I love. Combine that with all the different skills and runic attacks, and I'm convinced the previous games are going to feel very lacking combat-wise when I go back to them eventually.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
So this guy beat Sigrun on GMGOW, at Level 1....without taking any damage.

Holy shit. The way he combos his regular attacks and Runic Attacks, especially that first combo of his, just wow. I never even thought of using Executioner's Cleave on a Valkyrie. Whew. Lots to learn from here.
Yeah the shape shifting angle is the one that makes most sense to me, and to be honest this is nothing new for God of War- remember Cronos and Rhea from God of War 2? Here's a reminder.

Being of the same race and being brother-sister and also husband-life no less, its clear that these beings can shapeshift or at the very least change their sizes at will.

Ah, that's true. I almost forgot about them. Still not explicitly stated nor shown, but we have to assume at this point that they can. I mean, how the fuck else would the Olympians have been conceived by Rhea and Cronos?
There are clues in God of War that point to Odin having been the one that plotted for travel throughout the nine realms to be shut down. There are scrolls that make mention that the World Serpent was considered an inconvenience, but also fortuitous because he flooded the temple. It's also hinted at that the war between the Dark Elves and Light Elves worked in Odin's favor somehow as they were preoccupied. The most nefarious plot that I could see was when Sigrun told Kratos that Odin had cast a corrupting magic on his own Valkyries, thereby destabilizing the entirety of Midgard by stopping the shepherding of the warrior dead to Valhalla and overflowing Helheim, this leading to the desolation and other apocalyptic occurrences in Midgard and other realms. A scroll even details how the dwarves gave control over travel to Svartelheim to Asgard in exchange for protection against the effects of the desolation. An event triggered by Odin himself if you follow Sigrun's narrative for why she sealed herself and her sisters away.

This isn't even touching on what Odin and the other gods wanted with Atreus. Though with Odin's tyrannical desire for all sources of knowledge and prophecy the son of a gifted seer like Faye would be valuable indeed. It's just weird that Modi, I think it was him at least, mentioned something about Atreus being his new little brother. Did that mean the gods had some sort of plan to bring Atreus over to their side?

Suffice it to say, Odin acts like a true dictator. Authoritarian and fearful to guard his own power and influence.
Well, I don't think anyone was unsure of the fact that Odin sealed off travel between the Nine Realms. Aside from those scrolls, there is the message for the three locked realms in the Realm Travel Room.

I don't think we should focus much on Modi's words, though, he was constantly trash talking and shit. Perhaps all he meant was that he'd force Atreus to join him. Although... well, it's certainly a possibility, I suppose. It would align with how Loki is, in a way, a member of the Aesir in Norse mythology.

Cleardata

Nov 1, 2017
Holy shit. The way he combos his regular attacks and Runic Attacks, especially that first combo of his, just wow. I never even thought of using Executioner's Cleave on a Valkyrie. Whew. Lots to learn from here.

Ah, that's true. I almost forgot about them. Still not explicitly stated nor shown, but we have to assume at this point that they can. I mean, how the fuck else would the Olympians have been conceived by Rhea and Cronos?

Well, I don't think anyone was unsure of the fact that Odin sealed off travel between the Nine Realms. Aside from those scrolls, there is the message for the three locked realms in the Realm Travel Room.

I don't think we should focus much on Modi's words, though, he was constantly trash talking and shit. Perhaps all he meant was that he'd force Atreus to join him. Although... well, it's certainly a possibility, I suppose. It would align with how Loki is, in a way, a member of the Aesir in Norse mythology.

The why of it is the juiciest bit. The picture painted of Odin is of a god who knows Ragnarok is coming and seeks to control it or at least guide its outcome. The Aesir attempted genocide of the Jotun is obviously guided by fear and as Mimir put it, the Giants are always the ones that hold the fate of the Aesir in some way. Sutr is supposed to end them and he is a fire giant. The deal with the locked down realms, the desolation of Midgard and other realms, Tyr, and how Atreus fits in all this is something I am looking forward to finding out in the next game.

Last edited:

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
The why of it is the juiciest bit. The picture painted of Odin is of a god who knows Ragnarok is coming and seeks to control it or at least guide its outcome. The Aesir attempted genocide of the Jotun is obviously guided by fear and Mimir put it, the Giants are always the ones that hold the fate of the Aesir in some way. Sutr is supposed to end them and he is a fire giant. The deal with the locked down realms, the desolation of Midgard and other realms, Tyr, and how Atreus fits in all this is something I am looking forward to finding out in the next game.
Isn't the Desolation just a result of the Valkyries' entrapment? But I agree, everything surrounding Ragnarök is intriguing to say the least. It's something I'm really enjoying about this new game, unlike in past God of War games where it was all just about Kratos seeking vengeance with barely anything about the world.

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was watching a stream of the game again today and a line stuck out to me, it was when Kratos and Atreus were going inside the world serpent to retrieve Mimir's lost eye that Atreus said "Funny... I used to dream about getting eaten" and how entering the World Serpent reminded him of how he used to feel as a child.

Does this line have wider lore implications or was this just foreshadowing Atreus' ability of prophecy linked to him being a Giant?

Cleardata

Nov 1, 2017
Isn't the Desolation just a result of the Valkyries' entrapment? But I agree, everything surrounding Ragnarök is intriguing to say the least. It's something I'm really enjoying about this new game, unlike in past God of War games where it was all just about Kratos seeking vengeance with barely anything about the world.

Yes the desolation is the result of the Valkyrie's entrapment. And their entrapment was explained by Sigrun as a defense against their corruption due to a spell cast on them by Odin. I guess she didn't want herself or her sisters going berserk across the nine realms. Which is understandable.

Now why would Odin do that? Maybe he was paranoid because the Valkyries were particularly reverent toward their true queen which was Freya. Or maybe it was part of a broader strategy to cause the desolation. Maybe to induce Ragnarok? Honestly I think it might have been for both reasons. Time will tell.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I played through on hard and then hardest. 100% agree except for me it also has the most satisfying combat I've experienced this gen up there with Bloodborne. Everything just flows amazingly well and every hit has that impact I love. Combine that with all the different skills and runic attacks, and I'm convinced the previous games are going to feel very lacking combat-wise when I go back to them eventually.

Yeah i think I still prefer Bloodborne for certain reasons, but GOW is definitely up there. The higher frame rate goes a looooong way

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
About optionally saving the dragons and the valkyries. It is said that for freeing the dragons, we may be rewarded or regret it someday and about the valkyries we have their gratitude. That is why I think the best scenario in the next game or sequels is that it takes into account the save files and the way people played this game whether saving the valkyries or not and the same for dragons and saving one dargon that can reward us or the other that will make us regret it and make such results appear in the next games based on this like with Mass Effect and Witcher games where every thing we did in the past games influences the events of the new games and the rewards too.

Last edited:

SevketErhat

Oct 27, 2017
North Cyprus
About optionally saving the dragons and the valkyries. It is said that for freeing the dragons, we may be rewarded or regret it someday and about the valkyries we have their gratitude. That is why I think the best scenario in the enxt game or sequels is that it takes into account the save files and the way people played this game whtehr saving the valkyries or not and the same for dragons and saving one dargon tghat can reward us or the other that will make us regret it and make such results appear in the next games based on this like with mass Effect and Witcher games where every thing we did in the past games influences the events of the new games and the rewards too.

Kratos and saving lives ???

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Yes the desolation is the result of the Valkyrie's entrapment. And their entrapment was explained by Sigrun as a defense against their corruption due to a spell cast on them by Odin. I guess she didn't want herself or her sisters going berserk across the nine realms. Which is understandable.

Now why would Odin do that? Maybe he was paranoid because the Valkyries were particularly reverent toward their true queen which was Freya. Or maybe it was part of a broader strategy to cause the desolation. Maybe to induce Ragnarok? Honestly I think it might have been for both reasons. Time will tell.
Being so petty as to do that just because they revered Freya would be so... Odin. It wouldn't make much sense, though, since he's preventing his army (the Einherjar of Valhalla) from growing and thus weakening himself for Ragnarök. I guess all we can do now is wait to find out.

Speaking of the Desolation, it not only created the Hel-Walkers but the large number of Draugrs too, right? At least that was my impression of it. Regardless of that, I find it strange that there are Draugr in other realms such as Alfheim. Aren't Draugr specifically undead humans? I hope we get other types of undead in future titles. Undead Dark Elves would certainly be interesting.

Cleardata

Nov 1, 2017
Being so petty as to do that just because they revered Freya would be so... Odin. It wouldn't make much sense, though, since he's preventing his army (the Einherjar of Valhalla) from growing and thus weakening himself for Ragnarök. I guess all we can do now is wait to find out.

Speaking of the Desolation, it not only created the Hel-Walkers but the large number of Draugrs too, right? At least that was my impression of it. Regardless of that, I find it strange that there are Draugr in other realms such as Alfheim. Aren't Draugr specifically undead humans? I hope we get other types of undead in future titles. Undead Dark Elves would certainly be interesting.

That's a good point. Maybe he feels he has the army he needs and doesn't need to swell the ranks further? Also it is a good point that the Draugr appear in multiple realms. That isn't explained but I guess you can infer that bad things are making it to different realms. The dwarves were worried about it enough so to let Asgard block their realm. Odin sealed that ream along with Asgard and Vanaheim. You do see all sorts of enemies pop out of realm tears. I always interpreted that as being a portal to the realm between realms. Maybe the enemies in the game have the same magic ability as Brock and Sindri to travel through the realm between realms, therefore allowing them to spill into realms they don't belong in?

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Welllllll, just finished the Mr.Odd Let's Play. That legitimately rocked.

Didn't see that twist coming at all! Just so good on every level.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
When Mimir told Kratos not to go where he heard Zeus' voice in Helheim, I think this was intentional to keep that even in the next games, mostly when Kratos dies and goes there and he has to face his past torments, the enemies he killed and purge his past deeds, somethign similar to the end of GOW3 and the river of souls in MGS3 when facing The Sorrow (though you will meet the ghosts of the enemeis only if you killed them). Another pretext to revisit past bosses and fight them again.

WalshyB

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
So I was checking out the God of War sub Reddit and they were talking about how the axe is imbued with "Eitr", the serpents venom. Which in myth is what eventually kills Thor...

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
So I was checking out the God of War sub Reddit and they were talking about how the axe is imbued with "Eitr", the serpents venom. Which in myth is what eventually kills Thor...

Yeah and this stuff was planned by Laufey and Tyr from the start with serpent even before the heroes' journey. Those trio seemed to have worked together for some time, conceiving some anticipated plans.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that was great.

I will say that this game feels like one that should have a '4' behind it. It would be interesting to know what the experience was like for people who played this as their first God of War game, because I wonder if the story works as intended. God of War 3 at least seems relevant.

Even Uncharted 4 seems like a better standalone title. The emotional crux of God of War's story seems to hinge on knowing what an angry, terrible person Kratos was - appearances by Athena and Zeus don't seem like they would have any weight, but between the exist in the story particular milestones, and it makes sense for highlighting how Kratos is matured.

It isn't that much of a thing in the final act, though.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
That's a good point. Maybe he feels he has the army he needs and doesn't need to swell the ranks further? Also it is a good point that the Draugr appear in multiple realms. That isn't explained but I guess you can infer that bad things are making it to different realms. The dwarves were worried about it enough so to let Asgard block their realm. Odin sealed that ream along with Asgard and Vanaheim. You do see all sorts of enemies pop out of realm tears. I always interpreted that as being a portal to the realm between realms. Maybe the enemies in the game have the same magic ability as Brock and Sindri to travel through the realm between realms, therefore allowing them to spill into realms they don't belong in?
I hope the actual reason is much better than that, because having too many soldiers for the apocalypse seems pretty dumb to me.

Good point bringing up the realm tears, though. It's suspicious that they even exist, at least I find it suspicious. Sindri talked about them like they were no big deal, so I have to wonder if they're common occurrences. Hopefully, we'll learn more about them too. I'm not quite sure why, but I wouldn't like it if it's the same method that dwarves employ to slip between realms. I guess it's because if enemies can easily do it, it kind of breaks the magic of what Brok and Sindri do. There's that, and the fact that what they do doesn't seem to require any tear. They just disappear and appear. I like it if it's as simple as that for the dwarves.
Is there a chance that Atreus is not the Loki we thought,but rather this one ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Útgarða-Loki
Nah. On top of having the same parents Loki has in the mythologies, Atreus is also the father of Jörmungandr, as stated by the game's writers. Once again like in the mythologies. Utgard-Loki doesn't play any role in Ragnarök as well, at least not that I can remember. That is in direct contrast to God of War's version of Ragnarök, Kratos and Atreus are key players, as we learned from Gróa's vision. Not that being in contrast with the mythologies should be taken as a sure sign that that's not what's going to happen, but still.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
How did you go on to the R2 axe slam straight after the punch? Don't you have to be running for that without any attack in the run up?

Also was the last throw a runic special or a combo addition?

Awesome.
The game allows you to combo the running R1 punch with the axe recall slam (L2 +R2) . You actually don't need to run in
order to do that slam. It just looks cooler running. :D

The last throw was a runic special.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
P2WjgmS.jpg

Ok

Gonna go attempt Sigrun on Challenge difficulty.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, so I've equipped the Valkyrie axe grip that sometimes gives you an explosion on hits after the cleave, plus I've brought my cool down to 100 so now my cleave is quicker too (skill bonus), it's now almost immediate, which is awesome.

Also, I think the Infinity Gauntlet with infinity stones might actually one hit kill normal enemies, even tougher ones. I was doing the trial just before the Valkyrie fight in Muslphababa and the last enemy was an ancient. I did a Shattered Gauntlet attack and boom, he's down in one hit.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I did a Shattered Gauntlet attack and boom, he's down in one hit.
For real!? What difficulty are you playing on? Seems crazy no matter what, though. Pretty sure I wasn't even able to kill a Wulver with it... Although, I don't think it got all the blasts.
So it seems that whatever Transpired on Greece, had no effect on the world of this game.
Could just be that the world recovered already, or that it was only Greece that got affected. After all, the Greek gods only had dominion over Greece.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For real!? What difficulty are you playing on? Seems crazy no matter what, though. Pretty sure I wasn't even able to kill a Wulver with it... Although, I don't think it got all the blasts.

Could just be that the world recovered already, or that it was only Greece that got affected. After all, the Greek gods only had dominion over Greece.

So who is stronger? Odin or Zeus?

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to stay, because I'm only at the part where Kratos admits he's a god to boy. I mean, to Atreus.

I just needed somewhere to say god DAMN this game is great. I've settled into the combat nicely now. It's so satisfying. And I also can't wait to progress the story. What a game. This gen is too good to be true.

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, sort of disappointed that Muspelheim and Niflheim are just "minigames", I was hoping that there would be something to explore after finishing the game. That said there's tons I have missed from Midgard so at least there's that.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atreus is such an amazing AI partner. I remember him dropkicking one of those irritating poison wurm things right while it was about to dig in the final seconds of a timed Muspelheim trial, and it was thanks to him that I managed to finish on time. The dropkick pulled the wurm out the hole and it got completely chopped up by rampage of the furies runic. That's my boy.

SuperSonic

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit I was watching reaction videos on youtube since I beat the game and saw an IGN recommended video about an Infinity Gauntlet easter egg in the game that I thought was clickbait and my mind is fucking blown. Got the platinum and didn't even make the connection. This game is incredible.