Vagrant717

Nov 12, 2019
And why did they wait until Cloud and party escape before blowing the core? They just sat there staring at the bomb for 30 minutes?
Yeah that's another thing. They also could've used all those laser robots during the boss fight, but instead they decided to activate them after the group already left. So damn bizarre.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people are ignoring this part, Barret and co. know there are going to be the cause of deaths, how is it different?
The original is not a holy grail, there are plenty of dumb plot points like the Turks being not-really-bad-guys despite dropping an entire plate and killing countless of people. They are going to address that too, because it never made sense.

I am curious at how Square will attempt to address those elements, but I hope they don't try to sanitize the darker elements of the characters.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Cloud-Cell.jpg

"Hello, Apple? Yeah it was Shinra that blew those guys up, not me. I'm not a bad guy I swear. Can I have an iPhone now?"

tenor.gif

"My mother's a what??"

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
If we get threads like this for a simple change then I can't wait for the full game. I am all in for this kind of fallout haha.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
People rationalizing away this as not mattering because "the cast still thinks they did it" and whatnot is the exact reason we keep getting toothless mediocre written games and why moving aping stuff like TLOU is somehow considered the pinnacle of game writing here rofl.

It's fine to have your main cast grossly fuck up and have them be haunted by it and then either moving on or having some other conclusion and no them only thinking that they did it does not go far enough, because I know they didn't and it's just pointless melodrama at that point.

Like can we have game writers and people who mandate what the story should be actually try for once again?

Funny thing is S-E has a really competent writer and I hope she's actually used not just for 14 but for 16 too.

I'd also like to have more than 2 well written games come out in a year. Disco Elysium while being better than any game you love is just not enough, neither was Shadowbringers.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How can i live in a world were the heroes are not terrorists. How dare Square deny us the complexities of the protagonists. First they turn the game into Kigdom Hearts and now this? I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
You don't have to caps lock the word Avalanche. Even the FFVII remake itself just calls the group "Avalanche".

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looking forward to see how SE will sugarcoat the fact that Rude and Reno are mass murderers to keep them in line with their Advent Children's goofy appearance.
He'll probably say something akin to "I wouldn't do something that evil!" and accidentally shock the detonator that was ACTUALLY placed by Heidegger moments prior.

It'll be super cute and funny and let me feel good about liking my bishy. ^_^

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
So I just finished the demo and I want to slightly change my opinion. It doesn't absolve them of the terrorism but it just feels like a needless change.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Because by time the bomb went off they got out but because the bomb didn't jack shit they blow the core themselves.
But why would they even bother to wait for avalanche's bomb at all? They clearly have the ability to blow the reactor at any time, why not do it as soon as Cloud steps foot in the room?

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
don't know what you're talking about but i think i'd prefer to play as a 'hero' that doesn't blow up a bunch of civilians
i'd rather not think of main characters in stories as "heroes" necessarily, but people who can be flawed and imperfect.

and the fact that they planted the bomb intentionally still remains, so it doesn't really change anything, lol.

also I don't really know the full context of the game, but it sure doesn't seem like civillian casualties were what they were specifically aiming for, just an unfortunate side effect.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it "disneyfication", but this def sounds like the kind of unnecessary complicating of a plot point that really bores me to death.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
Story hasn't even been fully realized yet. There could be a deeper meabing in why Shinra decided to blow the reactor trying to frame Avalanche. Even the "secretary" was surprised at the director's decision to commit to the reactor blowing up.

Morally gray "heroes" does not equate to having a great story or writing. Just because Avalanche goofed up this one particular mission doesn't absolve them from the other terrorism they might have committed.

I'll wait for the full game and story to decide whether they just stick to the "anime" trope of good guys vs corporation.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I completely agree.

Just because they think they did it has absolutely no meaning whatsoever to me if I know the truth.

Cheap cop out by SE and I imagine there'll be many many more in the final product.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
This change was subtext in the original game though. Also...

Jessie explains the bomb in chapter 2 that it wasn't suppose to blow the whole building up, just the core.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
People rationalizing away this as not mattering because "the cast still thinks they did it" and whatnot is the exact reason we keep getting toothless mediocre written games and why moving aping stuff like TLOU is somehow considered the pinnacle of game writing here rofl.

It's fine to have your main cast grossly fuck up and have them be haunted by it and then either moving on or having some other conclusion and no them only thinking that they did it does not go far enough, because I know they didn't and it's just pointless melodrama at that point.

Like can we have game writers and people who mandate what the story should be actually try for once again?

Funny thing is S-E has a really competent writer and I hope she's actually used not just for 14 but for 16 too.

I'd also like to have more than 2 well written games come out in a year. Disco Elysium while being better than any game you love is just not enough, neither was Shadowbringers.
name better game writing than tlou my dude

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Story hasn't even been fully realized yet. There could be a deeper meabing in why Shinra decided to blow the reactor trying to frame Avalanche. Even the "secretary" was surprised at the director's decision to commit to the reactor blowing up.

Morally gray "heroes" does not equate to having a great story or writing. Just because Avalanche goofed up this one particular mission doesn't absolve them from the other terrorism they might have committed.

I'll wait for the full game and story to decide whether they just stick to the "anime" trope of good guys vs corporation.
I think the sentiment is valid and it was used in the original for the plate falling so not exactly unique.

I just don't like the way it was portrayed. Really hammy and stuck out like a sore thumb for me as new content. President Shinra personally watching the attack play out, totally aware and complicit, waiting to pull the trigger to blow the reactor despite Avalanche encountering shit to stop them. That trope of 'aha we let you get this far' always feels pretty weak to me as if the struggles up to that point were fake, but generally they don't paint it like that at all, the resistance is real and the suprise turn that you were 'allowed to get this far' seems retconned and over complicates things.

As someone else said, for me a much cleaner way to handle this was for President Shinra to be informed of the Reactor damage by Avalanche and have him order emergency response stopped to let it explode knowing full well the destruction it will cause. In my mind that feels way more sinister and human than him twilring a mustache watching live TV feed of Cloud and Co.

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Yeah it Is terrible writing, alongside with shinra watching the feed and delighting in evil. All the nuance about corporations not being directly "evil" but still having shitty consequences is gone. Now bad guys are moustaches twirling evil guys , and the good guys are buffoons with good intentions who never did anything wrong.

I mean, i expected it from modern square, still sucks

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
fully expect the remake to be full of this stuff. i don't "like" it but don't particularly mind it either

OG FF7 won't be gospel, something you just have to accept going in if you want to have a remotely good time

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it Is terrible writing, alongside with shinra watching the feed and delighting in evil. All the nuance about corporations not being directly "evil" but still having shitty consequences is gone. Now bad guys are moustaches twirling evil guys , and the good guys are buffoons with good intentions who never did anything wrong.

That's the thing though. He is complicit to it but from the reaction of his secretary, the president seem to be acting alone in this. I'm waiting for the twist that the general mass will start to turn against Avalanche if the president releases an edited video showing the damage "Avalanche" caused. Keeping in mind, that the general populace depends on Mako reactors for their daily life. Just because Avalanche having good intentions and being pegged as eco terrorists doesn't automatically garner them the approval of the general public.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I think this is more for Shrina than for the "good guys." Having recently just played through the original again it doesn't really effect any character except Barret and its not focused on much even at that, beyond with Cait Sith. They didn't do much with it in the original to begin with, might as well just use it to make Shrina more evil.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weirdest thing about this over-reaction is how we're now apparently pretending the original had good writing.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the heck out of it. More development for Shinra, barely changes anything for AVALANCH. Since they were always a little incompetent. Doesn't change their intentions of motive of make them any more the good guys or anything as they still had their intention.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
I have never seen so much nitpicking.

I really dont bother with these threads anymore tbh. Usually just put them on ignore and just form my own opinion.

It is getting a bit ridiculous. I'm pretty sure that people don't allow themselves to enjoy anything more because of the level of nitpicking that they go to, and they feel the need to go to. And to be honest that isn't probably there fault. It Is the culture we now live in and surround ourselves in through Youtube and Twitter.

I think it is ok to criticise and analyse story beats and decisions, but its the way these discussions are framed these days that make them feel people have ulterior motives (which in the Star Wars case it was born out of) or it is part of the never ending cycle of clickbait that as filtered down to normal discussions.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Max is literally talking about this on his stream right now saying that they go in more depth about this plot point later on in the game in a good way. Resetera overreacting over nothing? Who would've thought?

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
It's clear that they want to distance themselves from brushing off eco terrorism like the original did.

While I like the nuance in the original game's version of events, this is just so unsurprising to me that I guess I don't care as long as they build on the concept.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Max is literally talking about this on his stream right now saying that they go in more depth about this plot point later on in the game in a good way. Resetera overreacting over nothing? Who would've thought?

Yeah, I'm watching it too. He literally said that (I will put in in spoilers):

Basically, in chapter 2 the Avalanche members are questioning what just happened and Jessie is confused, saying that she followed the instructions and is surprised that the bomb had this big of an explosion, saying that maybe it reacted differently to the Mako. Apparently this is a big plot point in chapter 2, where they walk around and see the destruction they caused and come to the realization that they are terrorist, causing this much destruction, but in the end it's for the planet and a casulty they accept.

He's also showing some b-roll footage SE provided right now that takes place in chapter 2.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

You mean to tell me that stories develop over time in a fully released product and that judging the entirety of a narrative change based on a single chapter may be premature?

Absolute madness!

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

Basically, in chapter 2 the Avalanche members are questioning what just happened and Jessie is confused, saying that she followed the instructions and is surprised that the bomb had this big of an explosion, saying that maybe it reacted differently to the Mako. Apparently this is a big plot point in chapter 2, where they walk around and see the destruction they caused and come to the realization that they are terrorist, causing this much destruction, but in the end it's for the planet and a casulty they accept.

He's also showing some b-roll footage SE provided right now that takes place in chapter 2.

I mean..... they played 40 mins and went to conclusions straight away. 40 mins is enough to judge a whole game and fire the writers according to this thread lol

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017

This will arguably piss people off more.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I mean..... they played 40 mins and went to conclusions straight away. 40 mins is enough to judge a whole game and fire the writers according to this thread lol

Yeah, that's why I wrote in my earlier post that everyone should just wait and see how all of this develops as it's clearly part of a bigger picture. I get why people are nervous about changes, since it's an important game for so many, but everyone should just wait until the game is out to see the full picture and get more context. Because it's clearly part of the narrative.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

That was never there in the og game. Shinra guys were all evil caricature moustache twirling guys. Except the president because we only saw his corpse and had one scene? in the bridge

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
That was never there in the og game. Shinra guys were all evil caricature moustache twirling guys. Except the president because we only saw his corpse and had one scene? in the bridge
President Shinra, too. There were other scenes with him alive before then.

Reeve is pretty much the one exception among the Shinra execs not to fall under that.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sounds like a natural thing for the characters to do. They don't know the truth and operate on what they think they know but they still don't know what the viewer knows yet. This is not the kind of thing that would reveal itself in chapter 2, but closer to the middle or end of a game.