• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Durante, would the reports that some people had of being able to boot to the launcher in Offline Mode, but then having it crash when attempting to start the game itself be consistent with the diagnosis that this is a bug? I personally don't see how that specifically would be possible when it's a bug, I do understand how the launcher/game refusing to start at all in Offline Mode/without an internet connection in Online Mode could be a bug
It could be a mistake with the way the game is interfacing with the Steam API (IIRC, some other games have created problems along those lines in the past); the launcher is a separate application and shouldn't have any reason to utilize the API, so it working as usual is expected. If they were truly going to add DRM, they'd just add Denuvo.

Even being a bug, it's certainly not guaranteed that Square will ever fix it (I wouldn't put any money on it).

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I just left a negative review on the Steam version of the game. I can't believe some of the stupidity that occurs in the PC scene sometimes, but I urge everyone who owns the game already on Steam to leave a negative review.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Messed up, and doubly so that Valve are going to be shielding this from the consequence of negative user reviews.

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
It could be a mistake with the way the game is interfacing with the Steam API (IIRC, some other games have created problems along those lines in the past). If they were truly going to add DRM, they'd just add Denuvo.

Even being a bug, it's certainly not guaranteed that Square will ever fix it.
I've never heard of games being able to launch their launcher but not the game itself if it's a Steam API issue. Launching the launcher counts as launching the game in Steam's eyes, so surely the launcher should fail to launch as well? It sounds like the game is doing additional checks beyond the check Steam does to check if the game can run (run license-wise). Can you cite one of those games that had a similar issue, I'd be interested in learning more

Yeah, I don't think the distinction between bug and DRM is really the important part at this point. Either way, you can't play this game without an internet connection, it is online only.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Total shit thing to do to add in online DRM and break mods. Guess I'll never play the game now, I was going to count on the mod that makes every party member gain XP from battles without having to do the tedium of switching to every character for an attack.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I've never heard of games being able to launch their launcher but not the game itself if it's a Steam API issue. Launching the launcher counts as launching the game in Steam's eyes, so surely the launcher should fail to launch as well? It sounds like the game is doing additional checks beyond the check Steam does to check if the game can run (run license-wise). Can you cite one of those games that had a similar issue, I'd be interested in learning more
I edited it to be clearer, sorry.

The launcher in FFX/X-2 is a separate application (because it launches both of the games and that audio thing). It wouldn't need to use the Steam API for anything, so it being unaffected isn't surprising (it probably wasn't even changed at all with the update).

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
Even if it's a bug we are talking about Square Enix, i'm not sure if they are going to bother fixing this.

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I edited it to be clearer, sorry.

The launcher in FFX/X-2 is a separate application (because it launches both of the games and that audio thing). It wouldn't need to use the Steam API for anything, so it being unaffected isn't surprising (it probably wasn't even changed at all with the update).
Is this one of Steam's launcher things where you select an option from the menu before the game actually starts, or is this a SE made separate exe launcher we're talking about? If it's the latter, it should surely still touch the API at some point to check that you own the game, I'm not sure Steam differentiates between launching a launcher exe and launching a game exe

Absolute0

Oct 27, 2017
Wow I'm taking a long flight soon and was planning to play this on my laptop during the flight. Thanks SE. guess I'll have to play something else now. Fucking bullshit.

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Wow I'm taking a long flight soon and was planning to this on my laptop during the flight. Thanks SE. guess I'll have to play something else now. Fucking bullshit.
There are instructions to downgrade to v1.0.0 in the OP which should alleviate this problem for you, if you're willing to jump through the hoops

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
If you're going to leave a negative review, use the phrase "unplayable offline/in Offline mode" instead of "always online DRM". While this is probably caused by SE's failure to properly integrate Steamworks DRM, so they did technically add DRM, it isn't always online DRM unless you fuck it up like SE did

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Wow, who knew Don Mattrick has an account on Era?
We have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called Final Fantasy VII wait that has SE's account DRM
It's called Final Fantasy VIII wait so does that one
It's called Final Fantasy XII wait that one has Denuvo
It's called Final Fantasy XV wait that one has Denuvo too
uhh
It's called Final Fantasy IX. There we go. You can play that one offline. Unless SE breaks offline play for that one, too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Excellent, now we're at least two who have done that. I find far too often when issues like these arise that people forget to actually contact the companies in question.
There was one person in the comments on the patch post who contacted SE, apparently support was not helpful, they were basically just walked through troubleshooting steps
Best of luck, though

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The amount of software piracy on PC is astounding. IIRC, more than 80% of the people who played World of Goo on PC did it with a pirated copy. Square Enix probably got the same statistic and then decided to act upon it.
But the pirated copies would still be playable offline. Things like this only punish paying customers.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I honestly think they are doing this to have frustrated fans purchase the game on one of the newer platforms. Yeah, it is conspiracy theory tier but what other reason do they have? You could easily pirate this game in the early 2000s if you wanted, and I am sure it is only easier now.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
I cant believe that did this crap. Now I gotta go un-patch my game. I shouldnt even have to do this for this old game

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Square's treatment of legacy titles is outright embarrassing and shameful, fuck this trash company.

They're closely approaching Sega territory of "more bad years than good years". Or have they already? I've managed to avoid purchasing anything since Tactics Advance, content to watch friends play copies of games I would never buy. Octopath got me tempted though!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Update: someone in the Steam comments for the patch notes reported that they got in contact with SE, and they said that this was Steam's fault. They haven't even acknowledged that they fucked up the API implementation themselves yet, so I wouldn't hold my breath for a fix

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
So, they can't fix the bugs in ports of decades-old FF games, but they can continue to add new ones. Lol.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Update: someone in the Steam comments for the patch notes reported that they got in contact with SE, and they said that this was Steam's fault. They haven't even acknowledged that they fucked up the API implementation themselves yet, so I wouldn't hold my breath for a fix
Oh hell. IIRC, that's similar to what SE said about Nier Automata not being patched, that it was something only Nvidia/AMD could fix on their end or some nonsense. A few issues were actually able to be corrected that way, but obviously not all of them. Square basically just tried to absolve themselves as quickly as possible and move on to other things.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, pinch of salt coming from a rep, but if that's the line SE are going with then that's a bad sign.

"Not our fault our Steam API implementation is broken".

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Can i just say I love the background image of laughing Tidus in the top of the reply. That was hilarious.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
S. Enix don't even need DRM at this point. Just release a broken game and blame others.

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Can i just say I love the background image of laughing Tidus in the top of the reply. That was hilarious.
I was torn between Tidus laughing and Shinji Hashimoto laughing at the FF7 port announcement. It was a tough call.
It is useful too.

I came in here to be outraged over not being able to play final fanta- oh yeah, now I remember.

I mean it is still bad but whatever.
As someone who dislikes FFX and FFX-2, I hope SE fixes the bug where the games are playable when connected to the internet /s

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
PCGamingWiki now has an offline fix added, unsurprisingly, it's just replacing the steam_api.dll to one that doesn't have a broken Steamworks API implementation
https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Final...y_X.2FX-2_HD_Remaster_Offline_Fix_by_Steam006
I'd imagine mods are still broken/in-game crashes still occur, as those seemed like issues separate from the Steamworks implementation
If only you could just download music_fix.dll to your Switch SD card...

Can people who own this release just download the 1.0 version from Steam? Or is that not a thing for every game? I forget.

OP
OP
rpm

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
If only you could just download music_fix.dll to your Switch SD card...
If only SE could just produce competent ports in the first place. A lofty dream, I know

Keep in mind, if you want the best experience you still have to open up Steam's console, download v1.0.0 files, put them in the game's folder, and then stop Steam from updating the game via fucking with the appmanifest. This dll only fixes the online requirement of v1.0.1, not any other issues that v1.0.1 introduced like breaking mod compatibility and any other issues
Can people who own this release just download the 1.0 version from Steam? Or is that not a thing for every game? I forget.
Yeah, you can, and it is the best experience still (v1.0.0 > offline capable v1.0.1) , but it's a few hoops to jump through (see above)

Last edited:

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently this 'always online' update was an error that was just fixed with a 4.1 MB update. It's available on Steam as of an hour ago.

sanhora

Oct 25, 2017
March 27th Update

We are aware of an issue which affected the ability to play FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster in offline environments.

To rectify this, we have removed the latest update with immediate effect, and you can now continue to experience the game as before.

A new version of the last patch will be available in the near future. We're sorry for any inconvenience caused, and thank you for your patience.

We hope you continue to enjoy playing FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
why is Square Enix pushing their PC players to download cracked .exe?

so weird...

EDIT: So it's a bug? Eh...........

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
But the blow ups in this thread were hilarious in retrospect.
Valve fault /s

unknown.png