• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Positive... they are holding back alot.

edit: mostly gameplay wise, which is more exciting imo.

That's what I think too, but I also think potentially story, setting, and enemy-wise they might be holding back.

Its actually just what you would want. They've given detail to show how the game works and long previews of the game loop, but they've held back I think on the story and some of the settings and enemies.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
No difficulty trophies

Interesting that they didn't do that. They created 2 difficulty levels above normal and didn't tie a trophy to them. How they are handling difficulty I think is pretty smart. Lightsabers will kill a stormtrooper in one shot on any level, but the parrying windows and number of enemies might alter. That sounds like a good way to do it because you can't neuter a lightsaber.

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
So, we all know the end of the game right? I mean... or he became and outlaw.. or don't know.

Based on the current canon expanded universe, Lucasfilm is very open to Force users kind of just...disappearing throughout the OT and aren't restricted to everyone dying before A New Hope (see: Star Wars Rebels).

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Well that is slightly worrying.
According to Waypoint, EA sent out Need for Speed: Heat review code over the weekend last weekend, so I'm sure this will still get early review code (because, let's be real, this will absolutely review better than Need for Speed). It's still 10 days out.

Seems to be Kotaku has assigned the game to a reviewer at least (not that this is confirmation that the game is available to outlets for review):

Last edited:

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
That's what I think too, but I also think potentially story, setting, and enemy-wise they might be holding back.

Its actually just what you would want. They've given detail to show how the game works and long previews of the game loop, but they've held back I think on the story and some of the settings and enemies.
Probably because there is no new game plus so the 2nd playthrough on the higher difficulty would be annoying without your leveled up skills

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Oh so it is open world? SWEET

Semi-open world like God of War. You have a central ship and can travel to different planets and have some say in the order, but areas on each planet open up by acquiring new force powers etc, so that's where the metroid comparisons come in. Combat is more like a forgiving Sekiro or God of War. You have meditation spots like bonfires in Souls and enemies respawn. Planets have platforming comparable to Uncharted or Tomb Raider and Zelda and Uncharted-like puzzles.

I don't think you can give them much credit for originality but they are choosing a lot of good influences to borrow from. Hopefully its cohesive.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Semi-open world like God of War. You have a central ship and can travel to different planets and have some say in the order, but areas on each planet open up by acquiring new force powers etc, so that's where the metroid comparisons come in. Combat is more like a forgiving Sekiro or God of War. You have meditation spots like bonfires in Souls and enemies respawn. Planets have platforming comparable to Uncharted or Tomb Raider and Zelda and Uncharted-like puzzles.

I don't think you can give them much credit for originality but they are choosing a lot of good influences to borrow from. Hopefully its cohesive.
The platforming looks more akin to Prince of Persia 2008 than Uncharted or Tomb Raider IMO. There's wall running, a double jump, environmental obstacles to maneuver around or slow/stop mid-traversal, etc

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
The platforming looks more akin to Prince of Persia 2008 than Uncharted or Tomb Raider IMO. There's wall running, a double jump, environmental obstacles to maneuver around or slow/stop mid-traversal, etc

That's a good comparison.

One thing I read in the first or second preview was that the author was worried the platforming was a little too unforgiving/precise and could be a problem. I didn't hear this from any other previewer though, so I'm hoping it will be fine.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Took a quick peek at the trophy list. Looks like it has a ton of collectibles. Hopefully they are all interesting. BD scanning stuff and giving lore is right up my alley

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Hmmm.. hard to pin it down, but something about these stages just look kind of dead and not actually lived in. I hope there is more life to these worlds. If the game has stellar environment design (like Metroid Prime or something) I would potentially be in.

I think they're gonna be pretty empty given how this game seems have a small cast of main characters. At least, you won't be running into many NPCs outside the story.

However, I do think the lvl designs are gonna be great and the enemy variety is definitely gonna help fill out the world. Plus the secret chests containing outfits, skins for the ship and BD 1, and lightsaber parts

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Ok first and foremost, there is multiple difficulties. With that out of the way, the following are the ways it's like souls.
1. Deliberate combat (you have to survey each encounter and decide the best way to engage)
2. Meditation points (This game's bonfires. Resting at them refills your med packs, and respawns all the enemies)
3. XP loss upon death. (If you die the XP attaches to whichever enemy killed you, you kill it and you get it all back)
I for one am sick of Dark Souls mechanics shoehorned into games where they don't belong. Those last two things being in an otherwise decent looking Star Wars action-adventure game makes me want to gag.

If the devs want to copy Sekiro's deflect mechanic, then fine. That actually makes sense for lightsaber combat. But copy-pasting campfires and XP loss? Hell no.

This is much worse than when every open world game in existence aped Assassin's Creed's sync points, climbing mechanics, and zone system.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
That locations montage has me more hyped now. I've been subbed to EA Access for a minute now and didn't know about the trial feature, so this is available for the base sub? 10 hours seems quite generous for a game like this.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
regarding the prota fate, didnt respawn said back at E3 they were "restricted" to what they could do with him because lucasfilm had further plan for him?

I for one am sick of Dark Souls mechanics shoehorned into games where they don't belong. Those last two things being in an otherwise decent looking Star Wars action-adventure game makes me want to gag.

If the devs want to copy Sekiro's deflect mechanic, then fine. That actually makes sense for lightsaber combat. But copy-pasting campfires and XP loss? Hell no.

This is much worse than when every open world game in existence aped Assassin's Creed's sync points, climbing mechanics, and zone system.

how "they dont belong here" when this literally the first game?

respawn wanted to do a souls-like game, period.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017

Sorry you feel that way mate. And I don't mean that sarcastically. I think this is going to be a fantastic game.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry you feel that way mate. And I don't mean that sarcastically. I think this is going to be a fantastic game.
I still want to play this, and I'm hoping for the best, but I know that Dark Souls mechanics don't enhance my experience outside of actual FromSoft games. Their formula has a certain balance to it, with lots of ingredients combined in just the right way. You can't rip out individual parts, tack them onto a totally different game, and expect it to work.

Campfires and XP loss need the full context of a FromSoft game to be more than punitive restrictions on the player. (Actually, Sekiro still went too far here.) The very last thing I need in a Star Wars game that might possibly have decent combat is a strong incentive to play defensively and avoid serious mistakes.

I want to mess around with Force powers and enjoy lightsaber combat! Why do devs not realize that Dark Souls mechanics discourage bold and experimental play? Keep this trash out of my action games.

Oct 25, 2017

I understand why you feel this way, but this game actually started development as a soulslike metroidvania before it turned into Star Wars. So, if anything, it's Star Wars that was shoehorned in there.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I still want to play this, and I'm hoping for the best, but I know that Dark Souls mechanics don't enhance my experience outside of actual FromSoft games. Their formula has a certain balance to it, with lots of ingredients combined in just the right way. You can't rip out individual parts, tack them onto a totally different game, and expect it to work.

Campfires and XP loss need the full context of a FromSoft game to be more than punitive restrictions on the player. (Actually, Sekiro still went too far here.) The very last thing I need in a Star Wars game that might possibly have decent combat is a strong incentive to play defensively and avoid serious mistakes.

I want to mess around with Force powers and enjoy lightsaber combat! Why do devs not realize that Dark Souls mechanics discourage bold and experimental play? Keep this trash out of my action games.

I posted this earlier but I'll say it again here. I think playing defensively makes sense in this case. Cal is a padawan. Well a former padawan. He's not a Jedi master or even a knight. So he's not this unstoppable machine. So to me the playing defensively and really taking your time makes sense as Cal isn't just going to jump into the fray. He's not that powerful in the force and doesn't have that much training. He isn't anywhere near where Starkiller was in TFU.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I've done a 180 on this game. I had zero interest in it, but I'm in a SW mood lately (playing KOTOR), and I miss Dark Souls, so this is really a juicy combo. Haven't seen any terrible reviews so far (well, no reviews...), but everyone is seemingly anticipating this game's potential.

tenor.gif

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I posted this earlier but I'll say it again here. I think playing defensively makes sense in this case. Cal is a padawan. Well a former padawan. He's not a Jedi master or even a knight. So he's not this unstoppable machine. So to me the playing defensively and really taking your time makes sense as Cal isn't just going to jump into the fray. He's not that powerful in the force and doesn't have that much training. He isn't anywhere near where Starkiller was in TFU.
I guess so, but after severe Star Wars action game blueballs during all the years between Force Unleashed 2 and now, I'd really appreciate a straightforward high quality game that lets me live the Jedi fantasy.

It's astonishing to me that we're not already buried in AAA Star Wars games. If we were, I'd probably have more of an appetite for defense-oriented combat, just to mix things up. Right now there's nothing to mix. It's just like, "Hey, in the first maybe-great Star Wars game in years, wouldn't it be cool if you played as a Jedi who's nothing special, so you have to struggle for your life all the time?"

Anyway, whatever. I'll play it. I can only hope the Dark Souls influence will be less annoying than it seems.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I genuinely believe this game is gonna take people (who dislike EA) by surprise.

Genuinely thinking about changing my pre order of DS to this game instead. 🤔

Oct 25, 2017
I guess so, but after severe Star Wars action game blueballs during all the years between Force Unleashed 2 and now, I'd really appreciate a straightforward high quality game that lets me live the Jedi fantasy.

It's astonishing to me that we're not already buried in AAA Star Wars games. If we were, I'd probably have more of an appetite for defense-oriented combat, just to mix things up. Right now there's nothing to mix. It's just like, "Hey, in the first maybe-great Star Wars game in years, wouldn't it be cool if you played as a Jedi who's nothing special, so you have to struggle for your life all the time?"

Anyway, whatever. I'll play it. I can only hope the Dark Souls influence will be less annoying than it seems.
If you get good at parrying, defence becomes offence. I'm sure you can look like a badass in this game, it's just not going to do it for you.

Also, you shouldn't let the threat of XP loss dissuade you from experimenting or practicing an aggressive style. Any XP you lose in the early game can probably be regained by grinding for a few minutes later in the game. Not worth stressing about.

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
If you get good at parrying, defence becomes offence. I'm sure you can look like a badass in this game, it's just not going to do it for you.
I mean sure, but the same could be said of many action games with counter mechanics. The issue isn't how the game looks or feels when you reach a high level of proficiency, but how the overall combat design pressures the player to behave.

I can only hope this game pulls a Metal Gear Rising and makes defense important and rewarding while still allowing dynamic freeform play with lots of combat tools.

As much as I like Sekiro, in this game I don't want parrying to be the most effective option by far, most of the time.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018

I honestly don't feel like the Jedi fight like that in the movies.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019

They had actually figured out how the lightsaber combat before Sekiro's gameplay mechanics were revealed

As far as the XP loss and respawning enemies work, we don't know how they play out in the full game but from the 3 hours, one previewer said that the save points were conveniently placed. And we know you only have to hit the enemy that killed you to get XP back. So it only becomes more punishing on way harder difficulties which depends on your own skill lvl.

What's possibly a good thing about this is you can at least get all the skills in the game by grinding up an area or for people who enjoy combat, they can take on previous enemies with using newly acquired abilities.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
They had actually figured out how the lightsaber combat before Sekiro's gameplay mechanics were revealed

As far as the XP loss and respawning enemies work, we don't know how they play out in the full game but from the 3 hours, one previewer said that the save points were conveniently placed. And we know you only have to hit the enemy that killed you to get XP back. So it only becomes more punishing on way harder difficulties which depends on your own skill lvl.

What's possibly a good thing about this is you can at least get all the skills in the game by grinding up an area or for people who enjoy combat, they can take on previous enemies with using newly acquired abilities.
Thanks for those details. I can see some version of all this that would be fun. The question is whether or not the game will get in its own way with mechanics and systems that are too restrictive. I just want it to be enjoyable and not too Dark Soulsey in the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.